[APP] ShortenMobile 1.4 - Automatically shortens urls for Twitter, etc. in background

Search This thread

marcells

Aug 18, 2008
ShortenMobile 1.4 [updated at 2010-03-24]

Description:
ShortenMobile watches the clipboard of the device and automatically shortens the urls for you. The application can be set to run at start up and hides in the background. I developed this application cause of the lack of this functionality in HTC Peep.

Currently implemented url shortening services:
  • bit.ly
  • tinyurl.com
  • snipurl.com
  • is.gd
  • anonym.to

How to use:
  • Install the cab file
  • Open ShortenMobile from StartMenu
  • Activate the switch "Run at startup"
  • Click on Hide-Softkey
  • Copy any url (including "http://" at the beginning) to the clipboard
  • The shortened url is available in the clipboard after the confirmation dialog has been shown

Requirements:
  • Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 3.5

Please post any errors, ideas, or your favorite url shortening services.
;)

Changelog said:
Version 1.4:

• Completely refreshed user interface, which integrates flawlessly into the HTC Manila dialog style (thanks to Manila Interface SDK)
  • Allows recognizing hyperlinks with missing "http://" prefix
  • Fixed crash, when loading plugins (PluginInterface.DefaultPluginAttribute wasn't found in assembly PluginInterface)
Version 1.3:

• Added new service: anonym.to
Version 1.2:
  • Startup is unsuccessful, when the application path contains whitespaces
Version 1.1:
  • Changed some labels
  • Added new shortening services: tinyurl.com, snipurl.com, is.gd
Remarks:
Found one minor bug. If you've upgraded from version 1.0, please uncheck and recheck the "Run at startup" checkbox. Otherwise an error message will occur after restart. (That's cause I've changed the installation folder and so the start up routine links to the wrong path.)

Attachments

• StartMenu.jpg
    StartMenu.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 440
  • Application.jpg
    Application.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 409
  • About.jpg
    About.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:

wapvirus

Jan 24, 2008
London
Description:
ShortenMobile watches the clipboard of the device and automatically shortens the urls for you. The application can be set to run at start up and hides in the background.

Currently implemented url shortening services:
  • bit.ly

How to use:
  • Install the cab file
  • Open ShortenMobile from StartMenu
  • Activate the checkbox "Run at startup"
  • Click on Hide-Softkey
  • Copy any url (including "http:/" at the beginning) to the clipboard
  • The shortened url is available in the clipboard after the confirmation dialog has been shown

Please post any errors or your favorite url shortening services.

Thanks handy little thing :) but can you add

TinyURL
SnipURL
URLot.com
Hide Link

Last edited:

marcells

Aug 18, 2008
Upgrade to Version 1.1

Just upgraded to Version 1.1!

Changes:
  • Changed some labels
  • Added new shortening services: tinyurl.com, snipurl.com, is.gd

Robertjm

Dec 24, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Error after soft resetting Samsung Omnia

Hi all,

I installed ShortenMobile 1.1 on my Samsung Mobile last night. Looks like a great program. However, the next time I soft reset the phone (Resco Backup requires it after doing a backup), I received an error right after the phone gets past the Windows splash screen. Here's the error:

"The file 'My' cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted
certificate, or one of its components cannot be found. If the problem
persists, try reinstalling or restoring the file."

Since ShortenMobile is the only new program that's starting at start up I went in and uncheckmarked the "Run at Startup" box, and then soft reset the phone again. Sure enough, the error goes away.

The custom ROM I am using has .NET framework 3.5.9085.00 running on it, and it was installed prior to installing ShortenMobile.

Anybody seen this before with your program? I didn't see any about similar problems. Never had v1.0 installed so this is fresh.

Robert

Last edited:

marcells

Aug 18, 2008
Hi all,

I installed ShortenMobile 1.1 on my Samsung Mobile last night. Looks like a great program. However, the next time I soft reset the phone (Resco Backup requires it after doing a backup), I received an error right after the phone gets past the Windows splash screen. Here's the error:

"The file 'My' cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted
certificate, or one of its components cannot be found. If the problem
persists, try reinstalling or restoring the file."

Since ShortenMobile is the only new program that's starting at start up I went in and uncheckmarked the "Run at Startup" box, and then soft reset the phone again. Sure enough, the error goes away.

The custom ROM I am using has .NET framework 3.5.9085.00 running on it, and it was installed prior to installing ShortenMobile.

Anybody seen this before with your program? I didn't see any about similar problems. Never had v1.0 installed so this is fresh.

Robert

Hi Ribert,

to start the application automatically at startup (when the checkbox "Run at startup" is beeing checked), there will be created a shortcut to the executable "ShortenMobile.exe" in the "\Windows\Startup folder" (when the checkbox is unchecked the shortcut is removed). I can't understand why the application tries to open something with "My" in the filename.
Do you have installed the application on sd card, the internal memory (in which path) or moved the application to another folder after installing?

As a workaround you manually could create a shortcut to "ShortenMobile.exe" in the "\Windows\Startup" folder. The parameter for starting the app in hidden mode is "-hidden". (Here's a website, that shows how shortcuts can be built. - http://bansky.net/blog/2007/07/creating-shortcuts-in-windows-mobile-smartphone/).
So your .lnk-file must contains something like this:
#58"\Program Files\ShortenMobile\ShortenMobile.exe" -hidden
I hope I could help you.

Regards
Marcell

marcells

Aug 18, 2008
is there a program that will work on a MAC?
I have no idea.

You must be kidding. Here's a Windows Mobile forum and you ask for Mac software. :)

But I have one idea to possibly solve your problem. ;)

1. You could install a virtual machine on your mac.
  2. Then install a windows xp, vista or 7 on your virtual machine.
  3. Then download the windows mobile 6 SDK from Microsoft and install the emulator on your virtual windows system.
  4. Then start the emulator and install the cab you can download in this thread.
(Also don't forget to configure the network settings in both, the virtual windows and the emulator.)
But in earnest, developing an application for the mac will surely be faster than my proposed steps above. :D

Regards
Marcell

Robertjm

Dec 24, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Hi Marcell,

Thanks for responding. I installed it to My Storage, which is the option that lets you install it to the 8gb storage that's on board the Omnia i910. Perhaps the space in My Storage is causing a problem? I had assumed you didn't require installation to main memory...Correct?

I will enable the automatic startup and then look at the shortcut generated to see what it says and let you know later.

Robert

Hi Ribert,

to start the application automatically at startup (when the checkbox "Run at startup" is beeing checked), there will be created a shortcut to the executable "ShortenMobile.exe" in the "\Windows\Startup folder" (when the checkbox is unchecked the shortcut is removed). I can't understand why the application tries to open something with "My" in the filename.
Do you have installed the application on sd card, the internal memory (in which path) or moved the application to another folder after installing?...

Robertjm

Dec 24, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
malformed link

OK, so here's what the link file has in it:

67#"\My" Storage\Program Files\ShortenMobile\ShortenMobile.exe -hidden

as you can see, the space is causing a problem. I created a copy of the file and moved the second quote mark to behind the .exe. Then I did a soft reboot. sure enough no problem, and I double checked, and the program is currently running!

So I guess this is a bug report that you're not accepting spaces in the file name structure.

Robert

marcells

Aug 18, 2008

as you can see, the space is causing a problem. I created a copy of the file and moved the second quote mark to behind the .exe. Then I did a soft reboot. sure enough no problem, and I double checked, and the program is currently running!

So I guess this is a bug report that you're not accepting spaces in the file name structure.

Robert

Thanks for your information. Now I know, that I have to build the shortcut on my own way. I expected that the windows mobile api I used would create the shortcut in the right way.
I will see what I can do on this weekend to repair this functionality.

Regards
Marcell

marcells

Aug 18, 2008
Upgrade to Version 1.2

Just upgraded to Version 1.2!

Changes:

• Startup is unsuccessful, when the application path contains whitespaces

marcells

Aug 18, 2008

Robert

Now I create quotes around the path and then append the -hidden arguments. I tested the application on my device with an application path which contains whitespaces. It works correctly.

Please inform me, if the upgrade to version 1.2 solves your problem.

Regards
Marcell