• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP] Silent Samsung Camera App [EK02] [12/10/2011]

Search This thread

kcbedo

Nov 30, 2009
For some reason, the autofocus beep on the Samsung camera really bugs me.

The audio files for this are inside Camera.apk:
/res/raw/autofocus_ok.ogg
/res/raw/autofocus_error.ogg
/res/raw/cameratimer.ogg

I tried 7zip, MetaMorph, and a few other things to replace these with silent ogg files, but Camera.apk would Force Close.

I ended up just decompiling Camera.apk using apktool version 1.4.1, replacing the ogg files with silent ogg files, recompiling, signing, and then replacing the stock Camera.apk/odex files.

The attached Camera.apk worked for me, with no autofocus beep, and no Force Crashes.

REQUIRES ROOT

MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR EXISTING /system/app/Camera.apk and Camera.odex
IN CASE THIS DOESN'T WORK FOR YOU

Edit: To clear up some of the confusion, I'm going to explain the steps a little more clearly.

First, unzip the attached file as Camera.apk to the root of the sdcard ( /sdcard ).

Using ADB (original files will be backed up to /system/bak) :
Code:
adb remount
adb shell
# mkdir /system/bak
# mv /system/app/Camera.* /system/app/bak/
# cp /sdcard/Camera.apk /system/app/
exit

Or Using Root Explorer (original files will be backed up to /system/bak) :
Code:
Go to /system
 - Mount R/W
 - Menu - New Folder - Name: bak
Go to /system/app
 - Move Camera.apk and Camera.odex to /system/bak
Go to /sdcard
 - Copy Camera.apk to /system/app

If you want to change the other camera sounds, they are in:

\system\media\audio\ui

You can just rename, move, or delete (after backing up) them.

The files are:

Cam_Start.ogg
Cam_Stop.ogg
camera_click.ogg
camera_click_short.ogg
Shutter_01.ogg
VideoRecord.ogg

EDIT 2 (12/10/2011): I've added the Camera.apk from EK02 with silent focus sounds. The newer camera version seems to have a few more options in the settings than my first upload.

Attachments

• Silent-Camera.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 977
  • Silent-Camera-EK02.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 702
Last edited:

natelw

Mar 2, 2010
Awesome, why couldn't you make it an install by .apk save some of us that are waiting to root.

kcbedo

Nov 30, 2009
will this install along side the original or replace it?

It replaces the original Camera.apk. That's why you should make a backup of the original first. The only difference is that there is no focus sound. You will still have the shutter sounds in the \system\media\audio\ui directory, but those are easy to change if you need to.

If you really wanted to, I suppose you could recompile it under a different app name, so that you could have both versions.

imacomputa

Sep 18, 2011
I just used root explorer instead and replaced the camera app, however its constantly force-closing whenever I go into settings or try to take a video. The focus square in the middle of the camera is all crazy too. It takes photos just fine though. Should I try again using adb instead?

crawrj

Nov 2, 2007

/res/raw/cameratimer.ogg

I tried 7zip, MetaMorph, and a few other things to replace these with silent ogg files, but Camera.apk would Force Close.

I ended up just decompiling Camera.apk using apktool version 1.4.1:
apktool if framework-res.apk
apktool if twframework-res.apk
apktool d Camera.apk

Replacing the ogg files with silent ogg files,

...and then recompiling:
apktool b Camera

Finally, I signed the Camera.apk and pushed it to /system/app.

The attached Camera.apk worked for me, with no autofocus beep, and no Force Crashes.

REQUIRES ROOT

MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR EXISTING /system/app/Camera.apk

Just tried it and it is working good. Any way to remove the shutter sound also?

kcbedo

Nov 30, 2009

The other camera sounds are in \system\media\audio\ui

You can just rename, move, or delete them.

The files are:

Cam_Start.ogg
Cam_Stop.ogg
camera_click.ogg
camera_click_short.ogg
Shutter_01.ogg
VideoRecord.ogg

Reactions: walord

kcbedo

Nov 30, 2009
I just used root explorer instead and replaced the camera app, however its constantly force-closing whenever I go into settings or try to take a video. The focus square in the middle of the camera is all crazy too. It takes photos just fine though. Should I try again using adb instead?

I'm not quite sure why it would do that. You could try rebooting and clearing Dalvik cache. You are using it on an SPH-D710 with Samsung firmware, right?

I forgot to check video recording, but I went back and it didn't Force Close on me. I'm able to get to Settings okay also.

imacomputa

Sep 18, 2011
I'm not quite sure why it would do that. You could try rebooting and clearing Dalvik cache. You are using it on an SPH-D710 with Samsung firmware, right?

I forgot to check video recording, but I went back and it didn't Force Close on me. I'm able to get to Settings okay also.

Yep I am. I'll try it again wiping the dalvik cache and report back. thanks.

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

Nope, still not working. :(

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

Okaaaay... so I made a few mistakes here and there, SOMEHOW it's working now. Went into recovery (did the stock kernel + root trick, so I am on stock) but for some reason the stock recovery immediately scanned my sdcard root for apks and started installing them by itself(where the camera.apk of yours was stored). I forgot I needed Clockworkmod, so I went ahead and reflashed cwm and cleared dalvik cache but it didn't work. So next thing I tried was just installing the camera.apk like a normal apk. It didn't work and actually made my phone reboot. I then reinstalled the stock apk like a normal apk, then went back and cleared the dalvik cache again. Finally, I went back into root explorer again and copied over the camera.apk file (yours) and replaced the old one, AND installed it like a normal app. It now works totally flawless with the exception of the video recording still making shutter noises, but still pictures is completely silent. Thanks for all your help!

denisesballs

Sep 29, 2011
I tried installing this but didn't have any luck. First when I would browse to your .apk and download it, I'd tap it and get the warning about replacing an existing app. I would say OK, but kept getting "application not installed". So I manually removed /system/app/Camera.apk and retried. This time it let me, but when I would open the app it would force close - i.imgur.com/INl0Z.jpg . I would up restoring the stock Camera.apk and it's ok now. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

aiverson23

Jul 23, 2007
OK to get this to work with Root Explorer and have everything working perfectly (No weird autofocus crosshairs) I moved BOTH orginal Camera.apk and Camera.ODEX out of the system/apps folder and onto my memory card for backup purposes.

Then extracted the camera.apk from OPs zip file and moved it into System/Apps and DID NOT install. Just placed it in there and then went and ran the program. I am running perfectly fine. No FCs, and it is completely silent.

I did also go into the sounds folder like OP says and changed the name of all the sounds that you will have to do. But other than that I hope that clears up any confusion on how to get this working by using root explorer.

denisesballs

Sep 29, 2011
OK to get this to work with Root Explorer and have everything working perfectly (No weird autofocus crosshairs) I moved BOTH orginal Camera.apk and Camera.ODEX out of the system/apps folder and onto my memory card for backup purposes.

Then extracted the camera.apk from OPs zip file and moved it into System/Apps and DID NOT install. Just placed it in there and then went and ran the program. I am running perfectly fine. No FCs, and it is completely silent.

I did also go into the sounds folder like OP says and changed the name of all the sounds that you will have to do. But other than that I hope that clears up any confusion on how to get this working by using root explorer.

Confirmed. I had to remove Camera.odex as well and NOT install the .apk, simply replace it. Now I have regular crosshairs and no sounds. Thanks for the tip!

tenaciousj

Jan 1, 2011
Michigan
Got it working with Root Explorer... I had the issue yesterday with FC and crazy focus bracket things being I didn't remove the Odex file.

ptfdmedic

Aug 23, 2006
Anyone else have problems with the Camera "shortcuts" within the camera app disappearing after the app closes?

WOndering if this is a bug in the Camera app itself. Most settings save but not the shortcuts. The other thing I noticed with the unmodded app was the if you set the camera to black and white, the selection does not survive a reboot. On the original Epic, the selections remained until changed.

Last edited:

ptfdmedic

Aug 23, 2006
Great find. This was driving me crazy. This was the one place I hadn't looked. :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

/res/raw/cameratimer.ogg

I ended up just decompiling Camera.apk using apktool version 1.4.1, replacing the ogg files with silent ogg files, recompiling, signing, and then replacing the stock Camera.apk/odex files.

REQUIRES ROOT

MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR EXISTING /system/app/Camera.apk and Camera.odex

Edit: To clear up some of the confusion, I'm going to explain the steps a little more clearly.

First, unzip the attached file as Camera.apk to the root of the sdcard ( /sdcard ).

Using ADB (original files will be backed up to /system/bak) :
    Code:
    adb remount
    adb shell
    # mkdir /system/bak
    # mv /system/app/Camera.* /system/app/bak/
    # cp /sdcard/Camera.apk /system/app/
    exit

Or Using Root Explorer (original files will be backed up to /system/bak) :
    Code:
    Go to /system
     - Mount R/W
     - Menu - New Folder - Name: bak
    Go to /system/app
     - Move Camera.apk and Camera.odex to /system/bak
    Go to /sdcard
     - Copy Camera.apk to /system/app

If you want to change the other camera sounds, they are in:

\system\media\audio\ui

You can just rename, move, or delete (after backing up) them.

The files are:

Cam_Start.ogg
    Cam_Stop.ogg
    camera_click.ogg
    camera_click_short.ogg
    Shutter_01.ogg
    VideoRecord.ogg

EDIT 2 (12/10/2011): I've added the Camera.apk from EK02 with silent focus sounds. The newer camera version seems to have a few more options in the settings than my first upload.

The other camera sounds are in \system\media\audio\ui

You can just rename, move, or delete them.

The files are:

Cam_Start.ogg
    Cam_Stop.ogg
    camera_click.ogg
    camera_click_short.ogg
    Shutter_01.ogg
    VideoRecord.ogg
    Hi can one of you please tell me what to rename the files to so I don't have the shutter sounds anymore?

You can just add ".bak" to the end so they are not recognized as .ogg files anymore. That way you can always rename them and switch them back on if you need to.
    Thanks for this post.

I've created a copy of your hack for EL29, the thread is here.