• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP] Simple Barometer for Galaxy Nexus

Search This thread

korr92

Dec 18, 2010
Hi all,

I just wanted to present you a very simple application,
that shows the barometric pressure in the environment.
It simply reads out the sensor value and also calculates
the approximate altitude based on standart atmospheric
pressure at sea level of 1013.25 hPa and at a standart
temperature of 288.15 K.
Why I made this application, if it was so simple?
There was no such application, that shows the barometric
pressure in a nice way, so there we go:

Screenshot_2012-01-14-18-27-35.png

Any suggestions for improvement are welcome =)

Attachments

• com.simplesystems.simplebarometer.apk
    835.5 KB · Views: 3,229
Last edited:

cmac86

Dec 21, 2011
Looks nice in the screenshot but the gauge doesn't display for me. Just the numbers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

jairmoreno

Jan 26, 2007
Bogota
Works great. My only suggestion is, can you down a little the scale of the barometer?. I mean I'm in Bogota, Colombia (2600 m over the sea level) so my barometer is always down before 960 hPa

Colemak

Dec 17, 2011
I like the screenshot but as already said I only get the numbers on bigxies build 4.0.3 and Franco's 12

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1326566641562.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1326566641562.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 1,078

terminal 7

Jan 27, 2008
exeter, uk.
gpu

folks finding it dont work try switching forced gpu rendering off and then restart the app

seems to be a common fault of bar preasure apps - i tried this out on the app i use on my xoom and that too requres gpu rendering to be switched off.

just a thought :)

Sep 7, 2008
Portland, OR
Thank you for this App.

I also have one suggestion. Could you add a relative height? I mean that it is possible to set the current height as a reference and make the difference visible. Then it would be possible to meassure the approximately height in a big building or an elevator.

I've already done this in my own app and it works great. Unfortunately I couldn't find time to improve my app, it's very simple and not so nice as yours :).

pedmond

Jun 22, 2007
Thank you for this App.

I also have one suggestion. Could you add a relative height? I mean that it is possible to set the current height as a reference and make the difference visible. Then it would be possible to meassure the approximately height in a big building or an elevator.

I've already done this in my own app and it works great. Unfortunately I couldn't find time to improve my app, it's very simple and not so nice as yours :).
I doubt the barometer is precise enough to measure the height of a buiding :p

ms893

Jul 17, 2008
Thanks, good app.

Improvment : possibility to compute the QNH (sea level pressure) by adding known altitude (inserting altitude in meters, feet or hPa).

korr92

Dec 18, 2010
Thank you for this App.

Could you provide me the formula to calculate the relative height? Would make it much easier for me ^^

Works great. My only suggestion is, can you down a little the scale of the barometer?. I mean I'm in Bogota, Colombia (2600 m over the sea level) so my barometer is always down before 960 hPa

Will add this feature aswell.

Change the graphic to show stormy/fair weather icons for people like me who don't know what a barometer does or how to read one, relatively. Make it fun!

Will add it, but that won't be accurate for people, who are not living in west european latitudinal lines.

EDIT: There you go =)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

I just wanted to present you a very simple application,
    that shows the barometric pressure in the environment.
    It simply reads out the sensor value and also calculates
    the approximate altitude based on standart atmospheric
    pressure at sea level of 1013.25 hPa and at a standart
    temperature of 288.15 K.
    Why I made this application, if it was so simple?
    There was no such application, that shows the barometric
    pressure in a nice way, so there we go:

Screenshot_2012-01-14-18-27-35.png

Any suggestions for improvement are welcome =)
    Not really original. Barometer HD

OP claims there was no similar app either :confused:

Well, but the Barometer HD app is more functional than beautiful,
    and I will integrate a graph that shows barometric
    pressure over time aswell.

Didn't get any Barometer. Only the hight :/
    EDIT: Disable Hardware-Acceleartion!

Now this should be fixed (I hope so), that means you can
    use the app with Hardware Acceleration turned on.

[UPDATE]

Changes:
    - barometer image shows correctly with Hardware Acceleration on
    - reduced apk size dramatically
    - barometer scale now automatically adjust to environment
    (in case you live on a mountain)

Download
    gpu

folks finding it dont work try switching forced gpu rendering off and then restart the app

seems to be a common fault of bar preasure apps - i tried this out on the app i use on my xoom and that too requres gpu rendering to be switched off.

just a thought :)

Change the graphic to show stormy/fair weather icons for people like me who don't know what a barometer does or how to read one, relatively. Make it fun!