[APP]Simple Recovery Switcher

Search This thread

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
I made this app because I got sick of flashing stock recovery when a GPE OTA came, and then flashing back to a custom. I also wanted to cut my teeth on Android App Development so here it is. My first app..
Description
Must have ROOT and Busybox installed.

Instructions:
To use the one tap method:
1. place a custom recovery on your internal SD card and name it "custom.img"
2. place a stock recovery on your internal SD card and name it "stock.img" (without quotes, case matters)
3. Once they are on your internal card you can just tap "Custom" to flash to custom recovery or "Stock" to flash back to stock recovery.

To flash any recovery on your device:
1. Press the floating action button on the bottom right side of the screen.
2. Select a .img file from either internal or external SD card
3. Confirm yes or no if you want to flash
*Support for more devices added besides just devices using Snapdragon SOC's
-Should support most Terga devices
-Should support most Snapdragon devices
-Should support most Exynos devices

Play Store Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.graffixnyc.m8recoveryswitcher
Donate version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.graffixnyc.simplerecoveryswitcherdonate

Last edited:

toxic-hero

Dec 9, 2009
hовосиби́рск
hi, great app, a really needed one! i just bought a donate version to spupport you.

still i have a few questions:

1. on my HTC One SV the path is slightly different as it should be: /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-num/recovery structure (by-num instead of by-name) is this a typo from your side or i have an unsupported device? if so, could you add support for my device's recovery path to your app?

2. i still have the original factory recovery on my device (which is rooted and with busybox). will your app work if i've never installed custom recovery on this device before?

3. does the bootloafer need to be unlocked?

thank you!

clarkg

Jan 9, 2008
Auckland
You MUST place a stock recovery img and a custom recovery(of your choice) img onto your INTERNAL sd card(if you have both internal and external). Name them stock.img and custom.img (case matters)

The problem for me (I also have an HTC One M8) is that each OTA seems to come with a new recovery image (or it looks like a different version to me). I usually keep a copy of the OTA after download, but before applying it, then extract the new stock recovery from that so I can flash back the latest stock version after doing all my custom recovery stuff. I can't see how your app gets around the need to do that. Or am I missing something simple (and owe you an apology).

09Ram

Jul 17, 2013
Ottawa
The problem for me (I also have an HTC One M8) is that each OTA seems to come with a new recovery image (or it looks like a different version to me). I usually keep a copy of the OTA after download, but before applying it, then extract the new stock recovery from that so I can flash back the latest stock version after doing all my custom recovery stuff. I can't see how your app gets around the need to do that. Or am I missing something simple (and owe you an apology).

I guess that the whole purpose of this app is to bypass the adb PITA where you need PC access to flash stock recovery to get the OTA, then adb fastboot reflash custom recovery etc. You can then always replace the stock recovery on your internal SD card with the latest version from the OTA.

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

@graffixnyc, I really like the idea behind this app and want to buy it, but just to be clear, and it's not mentioned anywhere, is it ok for HTC One M8 Sense version? I don't know much about the partition structures.:confused:

Brutal_Master

Mar 9, 2013
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but in what directory can i find the stock recovery.img so i can use your app? I am currently using Philz but i thought that KitKat 4.4.3 came with it's own recovery image so it must be stored somewhere?

danilocps87

Jun 22, 2012
Hortolandia
Moto G

Working fine on the Moto G (Snapdragon 400) with TWRP 2.7.1.1.

One sugestion: Could you add 2 options to flash custom recoveries? In this way we could switch between STOCK X CWM X TWRP.

Great work!

jbnorton0524

Feb 8, 2014
Working fine on the Moto G (Snapdragon 400) with TWRP 2.7.1.1.

One sugestion: Could you add 2 options to flash custom recoveries? In this way we could switch between STOCK X CWM X TWRP.

Great work!

I think that would be a pretty good idea actually. Be sure to support him with the donate version and drop the suggestion to him personally if you dont get a reply here

GoPadge

Dec 20, 2010
Topeka, KS
I must be missing something.... Does it matter where I place the stock.img and custom.img? I have both of them on my phone, ran the app without issue, selecting Stock. But when it reboots it still goes into CWM.

jbnorton0524

Feb 8, 2014
I must be missing something.... Does it matter where I place the stock.img and custom.img? I have both of them on my phone, ran the app without issue, selecting Stock. But when it reboots it still goes into CWM.

This was in the homepage article

The application should work as intended on every Qualcomm device that uses the*/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery*structure and is rooted with Busybox installed. Recoveries must be named stock.img and custom.img and must be placed in the root folder of your internal SD Card.*Before using this tool, double check everything, since messing with recoveries may result in*a bricked device.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I made this app because I got sick of flashing stock recovery when a GPE OTA came, and then flashing back to a custom. I also wanted to cut my teeth on Android App Development so here it is. My first app..
    Description
    Must have ROOT and Busybox installed.

Instructions:
    To use the one tap method:
    1. place a custom recovery on your internal SD card and name it "custom.img"
    2. place a stock recovery on your internal SD card and name it "stock.img" (without quotes, case matters)
    3. Once they are on your internal card you can just tap "Custom" to flash to custom recovery or "Stock" to flash back to stock recovery.

To flash any recovery on your device:
    1. Press the floating action button on the bottom right side of the screen.
    2. Select a .img file from either internal or external SD card
    3. Confirm yes or no if you want to flash
    *Support for more devices added besides just devices using Snapdragon SOC's
    -Should support most Terga devices
    -Should support most Snapdragon devices
    -Should support most Exynos devices

Play Store Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.graffixnyc.m8recoveryswitcher
    Donate version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.graffixnyc.simplerecoveryswitcherdonate
    So I've been thinking. When I first developed this app you were able to take Ota's while being rooted.. Lollipop changed that and now any small change to the system partition will make an OTA fail. Now there is seamless root which works by modifying the boot image. You now can be rooted and take an OTA but you have to flash the stock boot image before hand or it will fail because it was modified by the rooting process. So I was thinking of adding one more option to the app to flash the stock boot image. What do you guys think?
    I wouldn't give it an option where you can select any image like I do with recovery, I would simply add a Stock Boot image option to the one tap method.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    I hope this works on Moto e as it uses the Same path as you mentioned above. @graffixnyc
    Hi, really great job !

Does it work with multirom ?

Thanks