[APP] simple2ext_mod for CyanogenMod 11

psyke83

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 29, 2011
Current release: 3.0.3b [07/08/2014]

Hey folks,

I'm releasing my own modification of @OlegKrikun's simple2ext, focused specifically on providing CM11.0 support and addressing some concerns with filesystem corruption that occurred in previous versions.

Please keep the following in mind:
  • You must use ext4 format for /sd-ext, or else you will probably experience data corruption.
  • Linking Application Data (/data/data) is not recommended, as it can cause heavy lag - regardless of your SD card's class. This is due to SD cards having poor mixed IO (simultaneous read+write) performance.
  • If the app doesn't function properly, look at the application log (third icon on the the bottom row) for more information on the problem.

3.0.3b (07/08/2014):
  • Enhancement: support for moving application libraries
  • Enhancement: when re-assigning the dalvik-cache, copy the existing data instead of clobbering. Saves an unnecessary dexopt pass.
  • Bug fix: make sure that the boot script doesn't execute fully if /sd-ext is already mounted. Will prevent issues when upgrading S2E.
  • Rewrite boot script with more generic function to reduce complexity. The script will now ensure that the /sd-ext folder permissions always match the permissions of the corresponding source folders.

3.0.3a (06/08/2014):
  • Implemented support for CM11.0
  • Removed filesystem tuning (tune2fs) in mount script, as it can cause filesystem corruption
  • Removed prebuilt e2fsck binary - always use the system binary for maximum compatibility
  • Removed "mount as ext4" option - the script now mounts /sd-ext as ext4 by default. This is the most stable configuration for CyanogenMod, and avoids user confusion.
  • Minor enhancement - when the app needs to install the mount script, it will also execute the script. This avoids the need to reboot your phone after initial installation of S2E; the app will be immediately functional.
Caveats:
  • Only tested on CyanogenMod 11. Will not work on older revisions, as I was forced to remove some compatibility code. I hope to solve that soon.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/f5npq4w29kyj6xv/s2e_mod-3.0.3b.apk
Source: https://github.com/psyke83/S2E

Last edited:

psyke83

Mar 29, 2011
It's great. .BTW, are there any options not to move all system and framework app data and dalvik cache?. .I only want to move those for third party apps. .
No, it's not possible with S2E due to the implementation of the app/script (mounting entire folders as bind-mounts).

Generally speaking, I don't recommend to move /data/data, as it can cause a lot of lag. With everything but /data/data selected, my device is still reasonably smooth and the capacity needs for /data/data are not too limiting for me.

kanishkad

Dec 1, 2013
Colombo
Awesome.. :) Thanks a lot. Just one thing, can you please add the option to link library files too? Because, this is my current configuration & space usage. (This is without Firefox or Facebook. I usually use both of them & they take about 30mb each in data)

Another thing, those readhead values & I/O shedulers are app default. (App changes these values without asking) Are these the optimal values & are they need to be changed in the first place?

Last edited:

psyke83

Mar 29, 2011
Version 3.0.3b released. Added support for moving of application libraries and some miscellaneous bugfixes/improvements.

Awesome.. :) Thanks a lot. Just one thing, can you please add the option to link library files too? Because, this is my current configuration & space usage. (This is without Firefox or Facebook. I usually use both of them & they take about 30mb each in data)
Done! ;)

Another thing, those readhead values & I/O shedulers are app default. (App changes these values without asking) Are these the optimal values & are they need to be changed in the first place?
I would prefer not to add scheduler settings to this app. This is already configurable via Settings -> Performance -> I/O Scheduler.

Last edited:

Timmy.G

Jul 23, 2013
Jhelum, Punjab
I need to see a logcat taken after you try to install the package.
I re-downloaded it and installed it and it is working like a charm
It was a bad download i guess....:p :p :p :p

---------- Post added at 02:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 AM ----------

+ 1

getting the same error,
Download and install it again
It worked for me ...

Reactions: patrol31

bestgames

Mar 19, 2013
@psyke83
Sorry! I using Cm11 (05/08) with Link2SD (ext4). I have trouble when install new update 07/08 (error status 7). I don't know why ( i'm using newest CWM) !!!
If i using this apps. Will it help me avoid this error?
And What to do before install this apps (like wipe, remove Link2SD ... ) ???

Sorry, my english is not good

Last edited:

Bhargav97

Mar 10, 2013
Gandhinagar - INDIA
@psyke83
Sorry! I using Cm11 (05/08) with Link2SD (ext4). I have trouble when install new update 07/08 (error status 7). I don't know why ( i'm using newest CWM) !!!
If i using this apps. Will it help me avoid this error?
And What to do before install this apps (like wipe, remove Link2SD ... ) ???

Sorry, my english is not good
This post of yours is more like off-topic here. Post in the correct thread (general discussion thread). This thread is for development & support related discussion of the s2e_mod app (by psyke83) and not for support of link2sd.

Status 7 error can have many causes. So we simply can't help you w/o a recovery.log. For a successful installation, follow instructions given in first post of totoro's CM11 DEV thread.

Moreover, psyke83 already said (in general discussion thread) that a data wipe is recommended before using this app if you are using any other apps2d apps like: link2sd, mount2sd, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: bestgames