Themes / Apps / Mods [App] SubUI-browser: Browse the web on the cover screen

Search This thread

CarudiBu

Aug 29, 2021
Geneva, Switzerland
Patched in OneUI 4 beta 2, working on a fix...

A proof of concept for custom widgets and apps on the cover screen. A GeckoView-based browser for the cover screen.

What works
- Custom widget
- Browsing the web

What doesn't
- On-screen keyboard
- Session saving

Important notes:
- No root required, but Samsung Health must be uninstalled to use this

Download it here: https://github.com/CarudiBu/SubUI-browser/releases/

Let me know if you encounter any bugs or have any ideas for more cover screen widgets / apps.

Attachments

• IMG_20210829_125850[2].jpg
    IMG_20210829_125850[2].jpg
    949 KB · Views: 1,017
Last edited:

bobbydharrell

Feb 22, 2009
Daytona Beach
Care to share how you get widgets to run on the cover screen? I found nothing in the Samsung documentation. Thanks!

I am also digging through your git repo :)

Why did you have to remove Samsung Health to make this work?

Care to share how you get widgets to run on the cover screen? I found nothing in the Samsung documentation. Thanks!

The first thing you may have noticed in digging through git is that the app spoofs that package to get it to work as an official widget.

CarudiBu

Aug 29, 2021
Geneva, Switzerland

Widgets running on the cover screen is only possible if the app pretends to be Samsung Health. The criteria for the Samsung settings app to show an app in the widget list is for the app to have a widget with a category of '2048' and the app to be a system app or have the Samsung Health package name.

Full apps can run on the cover screen without anything like this though. The second screen is seen as a second display in Android. The reason this app requires a custom widget to launch the custom app is because the second display is only activated when the phone is closed, so something on the cover screen must launch the app for it to appear on the screen - I use the widget for that.

There is another method, however. It's not shown in this app because I only found it a few days ago, but it's the intended way to show things on the cover screen and is the same way the camera preview works. There's an example of it here: https://github.com/CarudiBu/SubUI-mirror. Using Android's presentation mode, the display is woken up even when the phone is open and an app running on the main screen can show something on the cover. If an app starts showing something on the cover screen with presentation mode and the phone is closed, what it was showing remains on the screen.

Using Android's presentation mode, the display is woken up even when the phone is open and an app running on the main screen can show something on the cover. If an app starts showing something on the cover screen with presentation mode and the phone is closed, what it was showing remains on the screen.

Sounds like it could be used similar to the ROG Phone 5 Ultimate rear display with some sort of management app.

I also started messing around with the outer screen and noticed you could launch other apps that would then display inside it from the spoofed Samsung Health widget.

I started putting together a launcher to access all my apps without opening the screen. The only caveat seems to be that the keyboard will not display.

Last edited:

Awesmazing

Oct 20, 2010
Always impressed how quickly, "man I wish my phone did this" goes to "ayyyy" with people like you. For anyone interested, emulators with a bt controller makes for a great stealth gaming device. Is there anyway you can flip the outer screen so it's either upside down or portrait? Maybe even with accelerometer support? Also would it ever possibly work while keeping Samsung health installed? Thanks for the great app, gave this phone the best missing feature.

D

Deleted member 11799103

Please release the app on Samsung Galaxy Store ;)
It would be much better.
GalaxyStore_English.jpg

chill8ill13

Apr 12, 2015
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
Sorry and thank you in advance. I can't seem to change widget to my own personal widget via settings cover screen widget. I unistalled Samsung health and downloaded correct file.. c I uld u tell me what I'm missing?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210916-131427_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20210916-131427_Settings.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot_20210916-131514_AlwaysOnDisplay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210916-131514_AlwaysOnDisplay.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 123

Koko7551

Oct 22, 2021
I've successfully installed it and it works perfectly. But how can I change the WebPage? At the moment I just can read reddit.

As for widget ideas: did anyone make a voice recorder already? I'm a journalist, so recording interviews without needing to open the phone would be nice. Also, I think the cover display would be just great for the needed interface (start/pause/stop recording buttons, one to play the recording, save/delete recording buttons, and visual audio waves).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Patched in OneUI 4 beta 2, working on a fix...

A proof of concept for custom widgets and apps on the cover screen. A GeckoView-based browser for the cover screen.

What works
    - Custom widget
    - Browsing the web

What doesn't
    - On-screen keyboard
    - Session saving

Important notes:
    - No root required, but Samsung Health must be uninstalled to use this

Download it here: https://github.com/CarudiBu/SubUI-browser/releases/

Let me know if you encounter any bugs or have any ideas for more cover screen widgets / apps.

Widgets running on the cover screen is only possible if the app pretends to be Samsung Health. The criteria for the Samsung settings app to show an app in the widget list is for the app to have a widget with a category of '2048' and the app to be a system app or have the Samsung Health package name.

Full apps can run on the cover screen without anything like this though. The second screen is seen as a second display in Android. The reason this app requires a custom widget to launch the custom app is because the second display is only activated when the phone is closed, so something on the cover screen must launch the app for it to appear on the screen - I use the widget for that.

There is another method, however. It's not shown in this app because I only found it a few days ago, but it's the intended way to show things on the cover screen and is the same way the camera preview works. There's an example of it here: https://github.com/CarudiBu/SubUI-mirror. Using Android's presentation mode, the display is woken up even when the phone is open and an app running on the main screen can show something on the cover. If an app starts showing something on the cover screen with presentation mode and the phone is closed, what it was showing remains on the screen.
    Yes, I did. I cannot use that. Maybe they will provide an official sdk soon. Thanks!