[APP] TasGear | A Tasker Interface [v1.0.13]

Search This thread

Orbonis

Mar 29, 2014
Birmingham
www.orbonis.co.uk
tasgear_banner.png

Well this is my first app for the Gear. It is pretty self explanatory, it will launch Tasker tasks on your device directly from your watch. I recently got a Gear after my Sony SW2 broke and while the Gear is much nicer to look at I found the lack of apps disheartening. The Tasker app was what I missed the most so I thought I'd start here!

The development for this app has stopped due to hardware changes. Support for the existing version can be gotten from this thread, but no further updates will be made. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Please read the installation instruction carefully and check the FAQ before asking asking for help.

Any and all feedback is welcome! :D

Features
  • Start tasks on your device from your watch.
  • View tasks by project.
  • Root not required.
  • Displays a favourites menu for quick access.
  • Launch tasks on the host through an intent (From the Gear or Host).
  • Tasker Plugin (Host).
  • Send messages between the host & the Gear.
  • Custom notifications for Gear.

Installation
  • Make sure you have Tasker installed on your phone and "External Access" is enabled.
  • You will need to allow "Unknown Sources" in the Gear Manager.
  • Then just install the app on your phone/tablet.
  • It may take a few seconds to establish the initial connection. Please be patient :)
For more detailed information and a step-by-step guide see this video!

Favourites Menu
  • Include the tag "[GG]" without quotes anywhere in your task name.
  • These will appear on the Gear in the favourites category as well as their normal category.
  • TasGear will remove the [GG] tag in the lists display name, but show a * in front of favourite tasks.

Sending Intents to TasGear
Starting tasks on the host with an intent

From the phone/tablet - This will start a task on the phone/tablet, NOT the Gear.
Action: com.orbonis.gear.tasker.PERFORM_TASK
Extra: task:TASK_NAME
Target: Broadcast Receiver

From the Gear
Action: com.orbonis.gear.tasker.consumer.PERFORM_TASK
Target: Broadcast Receiver​

Send messages through TasGear
Send message from Host to Gear:
On host send intent:
Action: com.orbonis.gear.tasker.MESSAGE_GEAR
Extras: Whatever you want.

On Gear receive intent:
Action com.orbonis.gear.tasker.consumer.MESSAGE_RECEIVED​

Send message from Gear to Host:
On Gear send intent:
Action: com.orbonis.gear.tasker.consumer.MESSAGE_HOST

On host receive intent:
Action com.orbonis.gear.tasker.MESSAGE_RECEIVED​

More information on accessing Extras in Tasker:
http://tasker.dinglisch.net/userguide/en/intents.html

Download

Examples

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2729344
Thanks to Brendo for setting up this thread.​

Change Log

(v1.0.13)
  • Restart button on the host to reset TasGear in the event of an unexpected closure.

(v1.0.12)
  • Fix for rotation bug within Tasker.

(v1.0.11)
  • Better reports on incorrect setup.
  • Fixed an issue with icons in "Text Based" notifications.

FAQs

Q: Does this app support the null_ rom?
A: Yes, though this is only possible thanks to fOmey for his help testing.

Q: Does this app require root/null_ to work?
A: No, there is no special requirement for this app.

Q: How do I turn on "Enable Access" in Tasker?
A: Open Tasker and press the Menu Button. Go to Preferences, then the UI tab. Check the box that says "External Access". Make sure to close Tasker so that the settings are saved.

Q: How do I enable "Unknown Sources" on my Gear?
A: Open the Gear Manager and tap on Settings. Scroll the the bottom (under Security) and make sure the box "Unknown Sources" is checked.

Q: I can't get X to work in Tasker. / How do I do X with TasGear?
A: There are plenty of tutorials around for Tasker, but unless it is a specific problem with TasGear then I ask that you refrain from posting your question here. This thread was set up to give examples of how Tasker/TasGear can be used.

Q: I can't see the notification on my phone/tablet! / I can't see the TasGear app on my Gear!
A: Make sure you install the app on your phone/tablet and not your Gear. You don't need to side load this app :)

Q: I have X problem, how do I fix it?
A: Make sure you have correctly installed the app by following the installation instructions and the notification on your phone/tablet says connected. Try restarting both devices and checking External Access is enabled in Tasker.

Q: Can I start a task on the Gear by sending a message from the host?
A: No. I am not running null on my Gear and therefore have no way to test Tasker interaction on the Gear. If this changes I'll let you know!

Q: Can I install TasGear on a non-Samsung device?
A: Maybe! You will need to install Gear Manager first! You can follow this tutorial to get it set up. Skip steps 10 to 12, the notification app no longer exists. This is a good alternative. Thanks to @technologicrepair and @Brendo for the research in to this.

Q: Can TasGear create widgets on the Gear?
A: No. The stock version of the Gear's firmware does not support widgets. If you have null rom you can use Tasker to pass information through TasGear to your phone though. See the examples thread to find out how to do this.

Attachments

• TasGear.apk
    901.2 KB · Views: 3,235
Last edited:

Radimus

Dec 1, 2006
Tampa
The app starts on the GG and sits there with a locked up busy indicator...

Restarting the GG doesn't help

Orbonis

Mar 29, 2014
Birmingham
www.orbonis.co.uk

Hey Radimus, What device do you have? Is it rooted? Is your GG rooted? Any sideloaded apps?
I'm afraid I haven't had an opportunity to test on other devices/conditions, I'd love some additional info.

The loading indicator appears when it is retrieving the task data from your device (which is a good sign as it means the connection was successful ;) )

It worked on mine, stock GG, cm11 on my T-Mobile GS4.

Thanks for the feedback, flip.

Radimus

Dec 1, 2006
Tampa
esabaruv.jpg
Note 3 rooted. GG unrooted. Only have bt file share sideloaded

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Orbonis

Orbonis

Mar 29, 2014
Birmingham
www.orbonis.co.uk

I think I may have fixed the problem! If this fixes it then I can only apologise... regardless it was terrible QA on my part, haha.

Grab the new version if you can, but the problem should go away if you enable External Access in Tasker (You can find it under Preferences > Misc > Allow External Access).

Thanks for the prompt feedback :)

vingar

Mar 24, 2012
with note3 work Very well. Bravo!
if possible add possibility create shortcut on gear.
thanks

Inviato dal mio SM-N9005 utilizzando Tapatalk

vingar

Mar 24, 2012
Thanks!

As far as I'm aware the only way to add a shortcut to the Gear's main pages is through the Gear Manager on your device.
Gear Manager > My Apps > Favourites (Tab) > + (Button at top) > Tick TasGear

Orbonis,Shortcut of Task! not app :)

Inviato dal mio SM-N9005 utilizzando Tapatalk

Radimus

Dec 1, 2006
Tampa
This is awesome. Great work. Suggestion, if it would start with a filter or group of "GG" or similar so those tasks are shown first. If present. ..

Jeshter2000

Aug 24, 2010
I have the loading problem aswell

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Orbonis

Mar 29, 2014
Birmingham
www.orbonis.co.uk
This is awesome. Great work. Suggestion, if it would start with a filter or group of "GG" or similar so those tasks are shown first. If present. ..

I was thinking of implementing a favourites category. I think trying to decide on the best way to do it. A tag system would work well.

I have the loading problem aswell

Hey Jeshter, I'm gonna need more information. The previous loading problem was due to "External Access" not being enabled in Tasker. This should no longer cause a crash, so you must have a different problem :)

Can you tell me what device you are using, if you have modified your device (root or custom firmware) and if you have modified your Gear (root or custom firmware).

Thanks!

Jeshter2000

Aug 24, 2010
Ok my bad! So I need tasker it self aswell. Cause that isnt that clear to me ...

Orbonis

Mar 29, 2014
Birmingham
www.orbonis.co.uk
Ok my bad! So I need tasker it self aswell. Cause that isnt that clear to me ...

Ah yes you do :) I will adjust the original post to make this clearer!

Thanks for the feedback. I'll also add something into the app to prompt the user to install Tasker if they don't have it :)

Jeshter2000

Aug 24, 2010
Ok so installed tasker... And still loading problem...

Im using N3 stock rooted with wootever kernel...

Orbonis

Mar 29, 2014
Birmingham
www.orbonis.co.uk
Ok so installed tasker... And still loading problem...

Im using N3 stock rooted with wootever kernel...

Okay, have you modified the Gear in any way?

So you have Tasker installed and set up. You will need to run it at least once and enable "External Access". Make a task just so you have something to see on the watch, it doesn't matter what it does for now.
Reinstall the TasGear app afterwards just to be sure. Then restart both the phone and the watch.

See if that helps :) Remember to wait for your watch to reconnect to the phone before starting TasGear.

Reactions: CharlesIstus

Jeshter2000

Aug 24, 2010
Okay, have you modified the Gear in any way?

So you have Tasker installed and set up. You will need to run it at least once and enable "External Access". Make a task just so you have something to see on the watch, it doesn't matter what it does for now.
Reinstall the TasGear app afterwards just to be sure. Then restart both the phone and the watch.

See if that helps :) Remember to wait for your watch to reconnect to the phone before starting TasGear.

Got it working!! Now only to learn tasker hahah for the tasks...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    tasgear_banner.png

Well this is my first app for the Gear. It is pretty self explanatory, it will launch Tasker tasks on your device directly from your watch. I recently got a Gear after my Sony SW2 broke and while the Gear is much nicer to look at I found the lack of apps disheartening. The Tasker app was what I missed the most so I thought I'd start here!

The development for this app has stopped due to hardware changes. Support for the existing version can be gotten from this thread, but no further updates will be made. Sorry for any inconvenience.
    Please read the installation instruction carefully and check the FAQ before asking asking for help.

Any and all feedback is welcome! :D

Features
    • Start tasks on your device from your watch.
    • View tasks by project.
    • Root not required.
    • Displays a favourites menu for quick access.
    • Launch tasks on the host through an intent (From the Gear or Host).
    • Tasker Plugin (Host).
    • Send messages between the host & the Gear.
    • Custom notifications for Gear.

Installation
    • Make sure you have Tasker installed on your phone and "External Access" is enabled.
    • You will need to allow "Unknown Sources" in the Gear Manager.
    • Then just install the app on your phone/tablet.
    • It may take a few seconds to establish the initial connection. Please be patient :)
    For more detailed information and a step-by-step guide see this video!

Favourites Menu
    • Include the tag "[GG]" without quotes anywhere in your task name.
    • These will appear on the Gear in the favourites category as well as their normal category.
    • TasGear will remove the [GG] tag in the lists display name, but show a * in front of favourite tasks.

Sending Intents to TasGear
    Starting tasks on the host with an intent

From the phone/tablet - This will start a task on the phone/tablet, NOT the Gear.
    Action: com.orbonis.gear.tasker.PERFORM_TASK
    Target: Broadcast Receiver

From the Gear
    Action: com.orbonis.gear.tasker.consumer.PERFORM_TASK
    Target: Broadcast Receiver​

Send messages through TasGear
    Send message from Host to Gear:
    On host send intent:
    Action: com.orbonis.gear.tasker.MESSAGE_GEAR

On Gear receive intent:
    Action com.orbonis.gear.tasker.consumer.MESSAGE_RECEIVED​

Send message from Gear to Host:
    On Gear send intent:
    Action: com.orbonis.gear.tasker.consumer.MESSAGE_HOST

On host receive intent:
    Action com.orbonis.gear.tasker.MESSAGE_RECEIVED​

More information on accessing Extras in Tasker:
    http://tasker.dinglisch.net/userguide/en/intents.html

Download

Examples

Thanks to Brendo for setting up this thread.​

Change Log

(v1.0.13)
    • Restart button on the host to reset TasGear in the event of an unexpected closure.

(v1.0.12)
    • Fix for rotation bug within Tasker.

(v1.0.11)
    • Better reports on incorrect setup.
    • Fixed an issue with icons in "Text Based" notifications.

FAQs

Q: Does this app support the null_ rom?
    A: Yes, though this is only possible thanks to fOmey for his help testing.

Q: Does this app require root/null_ to work?
    A: No, there is no special requirement for this app.

Q: How do I turn on "Enable Access" in Tasker?
    A: Open Tasker and press the Menu Button. Go to Preferences, then the UI tab. Check the box that says "External Access". Make sure to close Tasker so that the settings are saved.

Q: How do I enable "Unknown Sources" on my Gear?
    A: Open the Gear Manager and tap on Settings. Scroll the the bottom (under Security) and make sure the box "Unknown Sources" is checked.

Q: I can't get X to work in Tasker. / How do I do X with TasGear?
    A: There are plenty of tutorials around for Tasker, but unless it is a specific problem with TasGear then I ask that you refrain from posting your question here. This thread was set up to give examples of how Tasker/TasGear can be used.

Q: I can't see the notification on my phone/tablet! / I can't see the TasGear app on my Gear!
    A: Make sure you install the app on your phone/tablet and not your Gear. You don't need to side load this app :)

Q: I have X problem, how do I fix it?
    A: Make sure you have correctly installed the app by following the installation instructions and the notification on your phone/tablet says connected. Try restarting both devices and checking External Access is enabled in Tasker.

Q: Can I start a task on the Gear by sending a message from the host?
    A: No. I am not running null on my Gear and therefore have no way to test Tasker interaction on the Gear. If this changes I'll let you know!

Q: Can I install TasGear on a non-Samsung device?
    A: Maybe! You will need to install Gear Manager first! You can follow this tutorial to get it set up. Skip steps 10 to 12, the notification app no longer exists. This is a good alternative. Thanks to @technologicrepair and @Brendo for the research in to this.

Q: Can TasGear create widgets on the Gear?
    A: No. The stock version of the Gear's firmware does not support widgets. If you have null rom you can use Tasker to pass information through TasGear to your phone though. See the examples thread to find out how to do this.
    Downloading..

EDIT: Initial testing works fine both app & intent worked after installing the update.

I let both devices sit for a minute, the intent did not work & the app FC'd.

I am testing the intent using tasker, as I dont have my gear cradle at the moment..

*sigh* Okay. I'm tired, so I'm gonna start this thing again tomorrow.

Thanks a lot for your help guys, hopefully this thing will be sorted out soon.
    I think the NULL rom is the one that drains the battery, but before you installed tasgear did it still drain the battery or not??

HOW DARE YOU.

My rom does not drain battery, you want proof huh huh huh !

D1ppJhW.png

Download betterbatterystats and figure out what is causing your battery drain.. its not hard people. :laugh:
    Hey Kash, think I got everything right, not working tho, only thing I'm iffy about is the line about the oddity in UCCW. I'm not sure where you're referring to in order to input the battery %. You're example was 9. Where do I input that number to kick things off? Thanks

4y3e9u6a.jpg

Please move discussion to the other thread in General , TasGear/Tasker @David_cole I've answered you in that thread

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 05:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 AM ----------

I see there is a option to share widgets in UCCW would u be so kind to share that gear widget? :)
    @pcpimpin @David_cole UCCW widget for phone (uzip)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/pyv28yo25k37akr/Gear Battery.uzip

Please also check this forum and use for general questions etc to keep this thread clean (respect dev's wishes)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
    I have updated the app to allow for different notification styles (Currently "Large Image" & "Text Based").