[APP] TeaMachine (Using OpenGL ES)

Search This thread

VanKurt

Jun 5, 2009
Duisburg / Aachen / Böblingen
Hi fellas!
Here's a little freeware app for all you tea lovers out there :D
Just select how long you want to keep the bag in the tea and hit "start". A gentle alarm will remind you when to get the bag out.

Screenshot:
tea.jpg

Features:
  1. Animated steam
  2. Finger friendly and animated interface
  3. Over-time counter

Check it out (and download it) on my website: TeaMachine Homepage

Ciddy

Nov 15, 2008
Too bad it pauses when one turns off the screen or sends the app to the background. Kinda defeats the purpose if the phone has to be on all the time. Nice look, would be cool if you could fix the pausing.

howdykeith

Oct 8, 2009
East Greenwich, RI
Hi.

I think this is kind of great.

Maybe u could make a virtual cigarette app which looked like a cigarette burning. then i could get my gf to quit finally. Touch Puff tech.

I like OpenGL apps so thanks.

dragon_soft

Nov 2, 2004
Manchester
good graphics BUT it just crashed my HD2. Set the time for 3 mins and turned the screen off, turned it back on and it was just stuck and not counting down. could not do anything to the phone, had to remove battery and turn it back on for the phone to work again.

VanKurt

Jun 5, 2009
Damn, you mean it doesn't ACTUALLY make the tea?
Yeah, damn right! Just put a cup under the USB port of your HD2. When the time is over tea will come pouring out. :D

Seriously:
Thanks for the tip about the screen-off bug. Actually I designed the app so that the screen would stay on (in dimmed mode) while it is running. It never came to my mind that anyone would want to turn the screen off ;)
I'll try to fix this soon...

alexleon

Nov 6, 2008
does the hd2 make coffe? NO, but i makes tea! :D
jokkin aside...with opengl will have many good lookin app like iphone...maybe stupid apps, but surely funny

Pappagallo

Jul 27, 2006
I know of a tiny app on the iPhone of a glass of beer that you can fill up, and when you tilt the screen (just as if you're drinking the beer), the glass becomes empty again.

Would be nice to have that on the HD2 as well :cool:
And of course beer as better than tea :D

bugsykoosh

Jun 16, 2007
Any thoughts on resizing to VGA? I just tested it and as expected (because i'ts designed for WVGA) the bottom of the screen is cut off. if the screen merely moved up a bit it would be fine. Thanks again- aesthetically it's phenomenal.

VanKurt

Jun 5, 2009
That should be no problem. Right now I'm a bit frustrated that the HD2 is so slow with OpenGL. Even this Tea app with only a hand full of triangles isn't running totally smooth... so right now I'm working on that.
Once this problem is solved I'll be happy to port this app to lower res screens :)

cgeboers

Jan 8, 2008
Schriek
OpenGL

Is your app using OpenGL ? I tried to write a small test program, but it always fails when I call eglMakeCurrent(...)

Would you mind sharing your initialization code ? I tried it with C++ and some "libegl.lib" file I found on the internet. They seem to work and get the libgles* files loaded according to the debugger output, but I can not get any further then the above call, which always returns "false"

tuzoenduro

Jun 23, 2009
There are a couple of sites that host brewing times for different kinds of tea. For example Black tea = 3 - 5 minutes, Tisane = 5-7 minutes. (http://www.artoftea.com/learn_about_tea/steeptime.html) it'd be great if you could code it as to select the type of tea you are brewing and have it count the time for you (as oposed to the app being just a stylized kitchen timer). Just a thought.

Otherwise, the application looks great, nice animation waiting for tea to brew is entertaining now :D

VeEuzUKY

Oct 10, 2008
Hi:)

Great idea but indeed, to be used as a timer, you need to to update it so it does not when one turns off the screen or the app is in the background as it totally defeats the purpose. Looking forward to the update and it will be a killer app:)

Keep up the awesone work! Amazing graphics by the way:)