[App] Textto - Text From Your Computer

Search This thread

DNikola

Feb 8, 2015
Gacko
Why we need this? we have Facebook,Messenger,Viber and other apps all on phone and on pc..

Anyway we need to have internet in both ways..with textto or these apps....

stylemessiah

May 2, 2008
Sydney
Despite you OP saying you want feedback, apparently you dont because youve been removing posts/coments where people have valid criticisms

Heres my feedback/criticisms/concerns

1) Once and for all spell out the privacy policy, are you sharing the data with 3rd parties - no one should have to drag this out of anyone in the day and age. Shouldnt even be able to get a front page article without being grilled by XDA on this. Should be in the OP, not on the second to last page...

2) Is this in fact going to end up in x months being a monetised service - i.e. Paid - again no one likes trickery, be up front from day one. Nothing will personally **** me quicker than dev obfuscation...this should be in the OP, not on the second to last page...and XDA frontpage article should have made mention of this instead of calling it a Free app, because its 99.9999% of people will read Free as really Free, not Freemium, so XDA itself is partly to blame here. Be up front, i pay for apps, but obfuscate it as Free and it goes straight to the ****list

3) Make your app use a proper program files path. No program on a Windows computer should ever run from users appdata folder, even Chrome which used to run from here was moved to a proper program files folder due to security exploit concerns. If youre running your program from a users appdata folder then youre adding an attack vector to their PC....simple. MightyText also does this and i wont touch their program either with a barge pole.... Also when uninstalling your porgram it generates yet another error, and then leaves exe's and files in both appdata locations

Last edited:

FootballFans

Feb 23, 2018
First impression on the looks beautiful.

I'm trying it in a few minutes, this seems to be the iMessage replacement I've been looking for ages

saurabh.gbp

Oct 6, 2015
Hello everyone, I've finally launched a long-time side project of mine, Textto, and would love some feedback.

Textto lets you text from your computer. When one of my favorite apps became too expensive, I set out to make my own text-from-pc service. I've been using Textto for over a year now and I love not having to check my phone to reply to texts.

While Textto is still an early product, it comes featured out of the box with:
-works with any texting app (Textra is my favorite!)
-sms messaging
-mms messaging
-sending photos from your computer
-group conversations
-searching for emojis
-simple sign in

Some features that are queued up for development include:
-native apps for Linux, Mac, and Windows (almost done!)
-dark theme
-improved contact syncing
-link previews

I'm looking to get community feedback so that I can build in the features people want and create a great texting platform.

Link to Website

Link to Play Store

Thanks you!

On playstore it shows incompatible with Samsung S8+

Feature to Print?

I have long been looking for a program like yours that allows me to print my SMS messages. I'm currently using a program that allows this; however, it has a terrible UI, and it only works when I remove my SIM card. Yes, strange.

Do you plan to implement a print feature ... one that allows me to print the entire text stream for a particular contact ... in PDF format?

Thanks,
Peter

textto

Jan 24, 2018
I have long been looking for a program like yours that allows me to print my SMS messages. I'm currently using a program that allows this; however, it has a terrible UI, and it only works when I remove my SIM card. Yes, strange.

Do you plan to implement a print feature ... one that allows me to print the entire text stream for a particular contact ... in PDF format?

Thanks,
Peter

Wow I actually just received an email from someone requesting a printing feature! I hadn't thought of this feature before, but I like it!

For now, I'm busy fixing some bugs and adding higher priority features, but it is something that I would like to add in the future!

Viqsi

Jul 13, 2014
Columbus, OH
I'm a developer, not a lawyer. The privacy policy was constructed in a way to protect me from frivolous litigation.

I'm happy to remove all of your data from Textto if you would like.

One feature that's coming to Textto is the ability to set a client-side master password to do all encryption/decryption client side. I hope you'll consider using Textto when this feature rolls out.

Yeah, I wouldn't really even consider touching this unless there's end-to-end encryption. Get that going and I'll be happy to try it out.

Mike B.

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 17, 2011
/
Yeah, I wouldn't really even consider touching this unless there's end-to-end encryption. Get that going and I'll be happy to try it out.
The main benefit of Textto is that it works with the standard Android/Google messaging app, with the same basic network encryption. It's no more or less secure than the default app. This thread is specifically about Textto, but members who are overly concerned about privacy and security of their communications or distrust their ISP, Google, or Amazon are encouraged to investigate alternatives such as Telegram (SMS/MMS), ProtonMail (email) or similar tools, issues best addressed wherever those products are discussed.

maflin18

Apr 4, 2015
Iowa City
plus.google.com
Using the PC client. Please add the ability to customize the text color for incoming messages seperately from outgoing.

This is very helpful when having a dark bubble color for one and light for the other. Would like the texts to be inverse colors, to be easily read!

Reactions: silvertrain78

silvertrain78

May 31, 2014
Using the PC client. Please add the ability to customize the text color for incoming messages seperately from outgoing.

This is very helpful when having a dark bubble color for one and light for the other. Would like the texts to be inverse colors, to be easily read!

Would definitely be nice to have more granular control of theme engine

Viqsi

Jul 13, 2014
Columbus, OH
The main benefit of Textto is that it works with the standard Android/Google messaging app, with the same basic network encryption. It's no more or less secure than the default app. This thread is specifically about Textto, but members who are overly concerned about privacy and security of their communications or distrust their ISP, Google, or Amazon are encouraged to investigate alternatives such as Telegram (SMS/MMS), ProtonMail (email) or similar tools, issues best addressed wherever those products are discussed.

I'm less concerned about that and more concerned about someone breaking into Textto servers and thereby getting access to my SMS messages. I use such encryption on Pushbullet currently for similar reasons, but Pushbullet is a tad overkill, so something slimmer would be nice.

Mike B.

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 17, 2011
/
I'm not sure that your messages are more or less safe whether you use textto or not. AFAIK it's not intended to replace third-party messaging apps such as Pushbullet but rather to extend the functionality of the default Android message tools administered by your ISP.

I confess that I'm somewhat puzzled by extreme concerns about the fate of standard SMS messages. Maybe some people share some vital international secrets in SMS but if someone somehow were breaking into a secure server and saw the grocery list reminder my spouse sent me, I think I could live with that. :)

G

GuestD0218

Very beautiful app.
Would be useful with reverse order on pc/mac, with text box on top of screen followed by resent text.

oreo27

Sep 24, 2012
I use a similar app on my LAN. I did have several questions that this app may be able to address.

1. Are we able to delete messages from the web/desktop app?
  2. Are you planning on releasing a LAN version in the future?

silvertrain78

May 31, 2014
Link previews don't seem to be working right now on either Chrome or Windows applications. They were a few days ago-

silvertrain78

May 31, 2014
On theming:

I think the Allo web UI gets colors right. Main critique I have of the Default theme is that the text in messages is dark. Would look better if the Default (light) UI was more similar to Allo's-

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone, I've finally launched a long-time side project of mine, Textto, and would love some feedback.

Textto lets you text from your computer. When one of my favorite apps became too expensive, I set out to make my own text-from-pc service. I've been using Textto for over a year now and I love not having to check my phone to reply to texts.

While Textto is still an early product, it comes featured out of the box with:
    -works with any texting app (Textra is my favorite!)
    -sms messaging
    -mms messaging
    -sending photos from your computer
    -group conversations
    -searching for emojis
    -simple sign in

Some features that are queued up for development include:
    -native apps for Linux, Mac, and Windows (almost done!)
    -dark theme
    -improved contact syncing
    -link previews

I'm looking to get community feedback so that I can build in the features people want and create a great texting platform.

Link to Website

Link to Play Store

Thanks you!
    Great app! Thank you. What's the monetization plan here? Hope it's not anything related to data. Is there any plans to monetize the app anytime? Not sure how you are able to afford for the servers and your time for development. Let me know if there'll be a donation version

Thanks!

First let me say I am NOT selling or distributing ANY of your data. Period.

In the future there will be a 'Pro' version with a bunch of cool features included:

- Scheduling messages
    - More contact features + blocking numbers
    - Delivery reports
    - Notification Mirroring
    - Longer conversation history
    etc!

Textto Pro is still a ways out and for now I'm concentrating of fixing bugs in the free version and adding features for all users!
    Just thought I'd mention that the Windows desktop application has been released! https://textto.io/downloads

Some features in the works include:
    - Desktop app for Mac
    - Link previews (see some details about links sent).
    - Contact information (blocking numbers, seeing more info, etc.)
    - Scheduled Messages (send messages out in the future.)
    - Mirror all your phones notifications
    - support for video messages
    - support for multi-picture messages.

If anyone has feature suggestions they would like to see added, I'm more than open to hearing them!
    FYI, the Play Store is far from being an easy path to fame and fortune. Google takes an appreciable chunk out of any payment, regulates when and how that money can be used, and enforces countless rules and whims that have given many developers a lot of grief. Multiplying the number of downloads by the app price is not even close to reflecting the actual revenue to the developer! ;)

Yep, that's the sad truth of it :(.

Textto is a labor of love for me, however. There is no way I will ever make enough money to pay for the time I have put into developing it even if I paid myself well below minimum wage. I'm just happy to have built something others enjoy using, and want to be able to keep the servers running without going broke!
    Despite you OP saying you want feedback, apparently you dont because youve been removing posts/coments where people have valid criticisms

Heres my feedback/criticisms/concerns

1) Once and for all spell out the privacy policy, are you sharing the data with 3rd parties - no one should have to drag this out of anyone in the day and age. Shouldnt even be able to get a front page article without being grilled by XDA on this. Should be in the OP, not on the second to last page...

2) Is this in fact going to end up in x months being a monetised service - i.e. Paid - again no one likes trickery, be up front from day one. Nothing will personally **** me quicker than dev obfuscation...this should be in the OP, not on the second to last page...and XDA frontpage article should have made mention of this instead of calling it a Free app, because its 99.9999% of people will read Free as really Free, not Freemium, so XDA itself is partly to blame here. Be up front, i pay for apps, but obfuscate it as Free and it goes straight to the ****list

3) Make your app use a proper program files path. No program on a Windows computer should ever run from users appdata folder, even Chrome which used to run from here was moved to a proper program files folder due to security exploit concerns. If youre running your program from a users appdata folder then youre adding an attack vector to their PC....simple. MightyText also does this and i wont touch their program either with a barge pole.... Also when uninstalling your porgram it generates yet another error, and then leaves exe's and files in both appdata locations