[App] Thumb Keyboard v1.5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

dixonl90

May 25, 2010
Chelmsford
plus.google.com
It's a great concept and i feel as if i could really get used to it, however i'm not sure i'm willing to give up that much of my screen space. I'm using a Desire but for a phone such as the Wildfire i reckon you wouldn't be able to see a message you were replying to for example.

captainstu72

Dec 17, 2009
Just tried this keyboard now, and I have to say, it is very good! I tend to type a lot with thumbs, and have a hero, and tend to find issues with the standard HTC keyboard due to using thumbs and not a tiny finger. This really has helped, alot.

It makes it a lot easier to type, and the layout is really intuitive. Thank you!

Again, the only problem I had to report was the sound being always on despite being unchecked, but thats only an issue when I am at work. Other then that, iy could make the arrow keys configurable to other keys, or smilies or some such, but from I have read it seems you may already have that train of thought. Colour themes to show what thumb for each set would also be good for people who either use a stylus, or finger type mainly (such as swype) as would help get used to it, but again, i think that is also something someone has already said.

I'll use it a bit longer and if I have anything better to say I will post again :)

Edit: Just found this in the market - Donated :)

Last edited:
S

snowboardkid503

Can someone make a new link every time I click on his link it says .bin

Coxeroni42

Jun 9, 2010
Two things I noticed while quickly trying it:

a QUERTZ layout would be nice and somehow key-press sounds are still on though I disabled them. Why? ;)

DarkOne951

Sep 10, 2009
I'm liking the app so far though there are a few bugs that I have found.

1. After pressing the shift key, it seems to be unresponsive for a few seconds

2. Auto correction would be nice. Preferrably something you can hide from view if you wish (kind of like the default android keyboard's correction system, but with the choice to hide it)

3. The shift key is a little wonky. You already know about this

4. I noticed that after turning the sounds off in the settings, they are still playing.

5. Double-tap space for a period would be nice (I'm just used to it :p)

I will let you know if I find anything else.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

djurkash

Jan 8, 2009
Realme GT
Just trying it on my galaxy s. Looks good, I agree that different color could be a help to determine space for each thumb.
Also, my thumbs are not so exercised well to move on this kind of space, so must work on it :)

Anyway good way to go...

Last edited:

appelflap

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
It's a great concept and i feel as if i could really get used to it, however i'm not sure i'm willing to give up that much of my screen space. I'm using a Desire but for a phone such as the Wildfire i reckon you wouldn't be able to see a message you were replying to for example.

I'm working on a version where the "zxc" keys will be placed next to the "vbnm" keys (brilliant idea of nutweevil earlier in this thread). This will remove one row of the keyboard, so it will be a bit smaller.
I plan to implement this layout as an option that users can choose, because I will have to sacrifyce some keys for this.

Just tried this keyboard now, and I have to say, it is very good! I tend to type a lot with thumbs, and have a hero, and tend to find issues with the standard HTC keyboard due to using thumbs and not a tiny finger. This really has helped, alot.

It makes it a lot easier to type, and the layout is really intuitive. Thank you!

Again, the only problem I had to report was the sound being always on despite being unchecked, but thats only an issue when I am at work. Other then that, iy could make the arrow keys configurable to other keys, or smilies or some such, but from I have read it seems you may already have that train of thought. Colour themes to show what thumb for each set would also be good for people who either use a stylus, or finger type mainly (such as swype) as would help get used to it, but again, i think that is also something someone has already said.

I'll use it a bit longer and if I have anything better to say I will post again :)

Edit: Just found this in the market - Donated :)

Color themes is a good idea.. will put it on the todo list. The configurable keys is something I promissed before but I have to look at it again if it is doable. (Then again it's a nice challenge).

Two things I noticed while quickly trying it:

a QUERTZ layout would be nice and somehow key-press sounds are still on though I disabled them. Why? ;)

Bug :) sorry. Concerning Querz, never heard of it. Have to look at it.

I'm liking the app so far though there are a few bugs that I have found.

1. After pressing the shift key, it seems to be unresponsive for a few seconds

2. Auto correction would be nice. Preferrably something you can hide from view if you wish (kind of like the default android keyboard's correction system, but with the choice to hide it)

3. The shift key is a little wonky. You already know about this

4. I noticed that after turning the sounds off in the settings, they are still playing.

5. Double-tap space for a period would be nice (I'm just used to it :p)

I will let you know if I find anything else.

1 and 3. I want to redo the whole shift key functionality. I agree it is not working that well atm.

2. Will look at that. But what do you mean by hiding it from view? A silent autocorrection or something like that? Isn't that a problem for wrongly corrected words?
BTW word suggestion, completion and correction have the lowest priority for now. First I want to get the layout right.

4. Well known bug. Will be fixed in the upcoming version.

5. That's a nice idea. (why not?)

Just trying it on my galaxy s. Looks good, I agree that different color could be a help to determine space for each thumb.
Also, my thumbs are not so exercised well to move on this kind of space, so must work on it :)

Anyway good way to go...

I've placed color themes are on the todo list.

deolarte

Nov 4, 2007
technewsbydj.blogspot.com
Like the keyboard great idea, but the settings wont work, the keyboard keeps making sound every time i click, sort of annoying. But great I will use for a while to see, no bugs besides that. Thanks.

DarkOne951

Sep 10, 2009
Regarding my second remark, yes. I'm not suggesting that the feature be "silent" inherently, but the option would be nice because Android's default correction rarely messes up for me. Hah.

Coxeroni42

Jun 9, 2010
Bug :) sorry. Concerning Querz, never heard of it. Have to look at it.
QUERTZ is the setup used in central and eastern Europe. Can't post the wiki-link to it, as I am not allowed for outside links.
There is also AZERTY-layout for french people. Including those two would be excellent so non-english users don't have to adapt to a new layout.

FrostyWolf359

Jun 29, 2010
Its a great keyboard. Very nice idea. The only thing is the landscape view.... thats a bit of a fail. I think a standard qwerty is better for landscape. But well done!

alovell83

Jun 29, 2010
Lippstadt
Appleflap

Another good looking app you have, saw it on the XDA Android RSS, congrats. I have a (kind of) suggestion, perhaps half-request. Any chance you can add extra language inputs? Personally, I strongly desire a better keyboard that utilizes both English and Korean input. However, you might get more benefit from a Chinese/Japanese input or something. I don't know if that'd require an alternative release or if you can program it/them to be enabled/disabled (not that I've ever seen a keyboard app that enables/disables a language input). Personally, I hate having to switch keyboards to use Korean and Samsung's default keyboard sucks, I assume that this isn't just the case with the Korean keyboard so it's just a thought for you depending on how hard it'd be to initially program and then the potential for additional support.

Just let me know, it might be able to be a big hit over in the XDA Korean SGS forum and I'd post it there (I've already linked to this thread since we've recently discussed keyboards). Either way, good luck and I'll try this out a bit more tomorrow and see if I can offer any constructive feedback, it's pretty late here. Initially I didn't love the placement of "t" but I think it's in the right place :rolleyes: big help I am...;)

Mega Maniac

Feb 18, 2009
May be because I'm running Android on my HD2, but after install although the application is there user settings there is no way for me to select the keyboard when writing a text or email, or under the settings menu.

Shame, as it looked ideal :(

SirBrass

Sep 12, 2010
Phoenix
Very good, but I'm getting keyboard click sounds even though I've turned that option OFF in thumb keyboard settings.

Droid X running Simply Stunning X over top 2.2 OTA.

Mega Maniac

Feb 18, 2009
May be because I'm running Android on my HD2, but after install although the application is there user settings there is no way for me to select the keyboard when writing a text or email, or under the settings menu.

Shame, as it looked ideal :(

Scratch what I just said above, I just haven't been using android for long and didn't realise I needed to long-press the text field to choose the keyboard.

I think it will be great when all the bugs are worked out. Can I lend a hand in making a skin for this keyboard? you can see the ones I did for WM6.5 when I was using that in my sig.

Let me know, be happy to help an innovative keyboard approach like this.

emelie

Jul 4, 2010
Vienna
QUERTZ is the setup used in central and eastern Europe. Can't post the wiki-link to it, as I am not allowed for outside links.
There is also AZERTY-layout for french people. Including those two would be excellent so non-english users don't have to adapt to a new layout.
sorry to interrupt and correct me if i am wrong -> are you by any chance talking about the QWERTZ-layout?
i can't rule out the possibility that my google-fu is weak today but a search about QUERTZ just returns nothing of value.

while i am at it: please implement a QWERTZ-layout ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note (nov 30, 2010): By now there are two versions: a lite version, published here (free) and a full version (paid) on the market. The full version will be continuously updated with new features, layouts, styles and more. The lite version will get no more updates.

(feb. 16, 2011) New thread for the full (paid-for) version created here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=948179 . Please post your requests, questions, comments etc in that thread. Thanks

------ initial announcement ----------

New thumb keyboard for easy thumb typing. The idea is simple. I've split the keyboard in two halfs, took them apart and placed them above each other (see screenshots). Result: much wider keys...

thumbkeyboard15b.png
    thumbkeyboard15a.png
    portraity.png

Somehow the brains does the remapping remarkably well. Left/right to up/down doesn't seem a problem. The result is that the keys can be defined with a greater width and that for thumb typing the phone can be hold in much more natural way.

landscapej.png

Press-and-hold the keyboard icon for switching between layouts, settings and selecting another input method:

menu.png

I'm very curious what other users think about this concept... Also I'm very interested in getting feedback on the usability of this concept.

Site
    App blog: http://thumbkeyboard.blogspot.com/

Little FAQ

Q: I don't see the keyboard after installing it
    A: The procedure of selecting the keyboard is described in the screen you see right after you have installed the keyboard. It's described in the section "Selecting the Keyboard". You can consult this info at any given time by tapping on the Thumb Keyboard app in your app drawer.
    Basically the procedure is as follows: go to the Android keyboard settings menu by selecting "Settings" or "Preferences" in your app drawer and then "Keyboard ...". In this menu check "Thumb Keyboard". Now, when you want to edit something and your normal keyboard pops up, long tap in the edit field and select "Thumb Keyboard" from the "Input Method" menu.

Q: How can I switch to another layout or set up my preferences for the keyboard
    A: Also described in the info screen under the header "Setting up the Keyboard". Anyway... long press on the keyboard icon in the left corner at the bottom of the keyboard to access the settings menu and to switch layouts.

Q: I can't download the file that is attached to this post.
    If you try to download it from your Android phone keep in mind that not all browsers support downloading apk files directly. You can either try another browser, use a download helper or download it from your pc/mac

Q: Will this keyboard help me to find answers to some urgent existential questions?
    A: No. But you can always read a good philosophy book and make notes with this keyboard.

Q: Huh?
    A: kidding

Changelog

v1.5.1 * missing accented characters added * solved spacing issues in the accented character popup keyboards * added a numpad popup keyboard (press and hold 12@) * Some additions to the help/info screen"

v1.5 * New Style * International (accented) characters * Popup Smiley Keyboard * Option to mark keyboard blocks with different colors * Numbers on the compact keyboard * Checkerboard Vibrate Pattern * option to set vibration strength * etc (Compatible with Android 1.6 and higher)
    (Users who already downloaded the 1.5 version are adviced to download the (new) attached version again)

v1.4.1: Small update: * added a extra, redundant "g" to the "asdf" row to address more typing habits. * made the keyboard suitable for all possible screen densities

v1.4: *finally adapted the landscape keyboards for thumbtyping (see screenshot) *added new portrait layouts with a squeezed q for better accessibility of the t (see screenshot) *changed the layout of the symbol/num keyboards

v1.3: Added help info + caught a bug or two

v1.2.1: = 1.2 + little bug fixed (and . added to the first symbol screen)

v1.2: Changed the behavior of the Shift-key: *Double tap on Shift key to turn on/off Caps Lock * auto capitalize after period (can be turned off in preferences)

v1.1:
    • New additional small layout
    • QWERZ keyboard layouts (Big and Small)
    • (1 Gesture added) Swipe back for backspace
    • Sound bug fixed
    • Remember: long press menu icon for options and settings
    v 1.0 release

Distribution
    I will not allow any distribution of this keyboard without a explicit permission by me.

Full Version
    The full version (with text prediction, themes, tablet layouts, resizable height, sound selection, auto quick fix, etc. etc.) is available on the Android Market and on AndroidPIT (paypal)
    I've bought it, it is a very good keyboard but there isn't any azerty layout.
    Yous said you will implement azerty this week in full version ?
    Cool.

Yes, I will add it today or tomorrow.
    Yes it Will be perfect.
    Thanks

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Will add it to the next update.
    The free keyboard is attached in the first post
    Sorry for my request but will you release the AZERTY layout for the phone-large layout and compact layout ?
    Otherwise it is the best keyboard I have ever used.

Yes, I will add it this week. I promised it before but I just forgot it in the latest updates.