[App] Thumb Keyboard v1.5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

StuMcBill

Feb 13, 2010
I realise that you know about the flaky shift key, and also I also have noted that once you start a new sentence and in capitals, the second letter appears in capitals (shift seems stuck) and becomes unstuck when you delete the second (incorrectly) capitalized letter.

Otherwise, great app and keep up the good work.

Sent from my Amiga 500 using Workbench

TF1984

Dec 11, 2009
Greensboro
very, very interesting. It feels great to use, but the results are pretty poor for me. I'll be waiting for you to build in the normal keyboard options like auto-correction and spell check. Res is pretty iffy, and if you had a height adjustment option that would rock as well.

Again, very cool, thank you for sharing.

Cal3b

Apr 15, 2010
great concept, this is a really good idea and would be awesome on some of the smaller screened devices.
i do have a bug to report, i have the EVO and i manually cranked the screen resolution up and your keyboard isnt full screen. screenshot below.

Attachments

• screenshot_8.jpg
    screenshot_8.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 186

appelflap

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
Its a great keyboard. Very nice idea. The only thing is the landscape view.... thats a bit of a fail. I think a standard qwerty is better for landscape. But well done!

I haven't even seen the landscape view :D
Sorry for that, I will look at this (important) issue and will fix it in the next release. I think I will create a standard layout for landscape. For now use the utility posted by someone on this forum to choose your own keyboard for landscape view.

Appleflap

Another good looking app you have, saw it on the XDA Android RSS, congrats. I have a (kind of) suggestion, perhaps half-request. Any chance you can add extra language inputs? Personally, I strongly desire a better keyboard that utilizes both English and Korean input. However, you might get more benefit from a Chinese/Japanese input or something. I don't know if that'd require an alternative release or if you can program it/them to be enabled/disabled (not that I've ever seen a keyboard app that enables/disables a language input). Personally, I hate having to switch keyboards to use Korean and Samsung's default keyboard sucks, I assume that this isn't just the case with the Korean keyboard so it's just a thought for you depending on how hard it'd be to initially program and then the potential for additional support.

Just let me know, it might be able to be a big hit over in the XDA Korean SGS forum and I'd post it there (I've already linked to this thread since we've recently discussed keyboards). Either way, good luck and I'll try this out a bit more tomorrow and see if I can offer any constructive feedback, it's pretty late here. Initially I didn't love the placement of "t" but I think it's in the right place :rolleyes: big help I am...;)

Have to get back on this

Scratch what I just said above, I just haven't been using android for long and didn't realise I needed to long-press the text field to choose the keyboard.

I think it will be great when all the bugs are worked out. Can I lend a hand in making a skin for this keyboard? you can see the ones I did for WM6.5 when I was using that in my sig.

Let me know, be happy to help an innovative keyboard approach like this.

Thanks for your offer! Maybe I get back to you.

I realise that you know about the flaky shift key, and also I also have noted that once you start a new sentence and in capitals, the second letter appears in capitals (shift seems stuck) and becomes unstuck when you delete the second (incorrectly) capitalized letter.

Otherwise, great app and keep up the good work.

Sent from my Amiga 500 using Workbench

Yes, the shift key functionality does need a rework. Together with the landscape view this is next on my list.

great concept, this is a really good idea and would be awesome on some of the smaller screened devices.
i do have a bug to report, i have the EVO and i manually cranked the screen resolution up and your keyboard isnt full screen. screenshot below.

Just download the LCD Density Changer lite from this forum and turn off "compatibility mode" in the settings. Or download spare parts from the Android market, with wich you can also turn off compatibility mode (restart after)

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
New update (v1.1) with a smaller layout. I like that one better myself. Big layout is still available as an option. For changelist see first post

Mega Maniac

Feb 18, 2009
I
Thanks for your offer! Maybe I get back to you.

Just shoot me a PM if you do, not on these forums all the time and I'll get an email that way :)

I was also thinking that you may be able to get the size down even further.

If you axe the symbols at the top right and move your arrow keys up here you would then be able to move the space key to the left of the bottom row of letters.

May not work out in practice but would get the size of the keyboard more down to what people are used to.

Also I think that the switch between letters and symbols is a little odd in the way it gets so much smaller. The keyboard is big anyway, why not use the extra screen estate to get all the symbols on one page, one of the most frustrating things about many keyboards is having to search through pages of symbols to find the one you want.

Last edited:

dwizzy130

Nov 14, 2007
Now that's thinking outside of the box!!!! Great idea! I'm using the version just before you updated it and I'm amazed at how fast I adapted to it! I will definitely be downloading it from the market as well to help support this. Other then the bugs you already know about, this is great!

dwizzy130

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
Just shoot me a PM if you do, not on these forums all the time and I'll get an email that way :)

I was also thinking that you may be able to get the size down even further.

If you axe the symbols at the top right and move your arrow keys up here you would then be able to move the space key to the left of the bottom row of letters.
My first design was a design without the bottom bar. I had moved the space bar, return key to other places, but it was not very usable because (as it turned out) the location of the space bar, return key etc. are fixed like the other keys in the qwerty matrix.

Anyway I could do a "tiny" version without the bottom bar.

May not work out in practice but would get the size of the keyboard more down to what people are used to.

Also I think that the switch between letters and symbols is a little odd in the way it gets so much smaller. The keyboard is big anyway, why not use the extra screen estate to get all the symbols on one page, one of the most frustrating things about many keyboards is having to search through pages of symbols to find the one you want.

Totally agree. The symbol keyboards need some work to fit the main qwerty keyboard.

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
Now that's thinking outside of the box!!!! Great idea! I'm using the version just before you updated it and I'm amazed at how fast I adapted to it! I will definitely be downloading it from the market as well to help support this. Other then the bugs you already know about, this is great!

dwizzy130

Thanks. If you have any suggestions, just let me know.

DemonWav

Sep 11, 2010
Lawton, OK
Great concept but bad for me personally, for reasons such as I type space with my left thumb (in normal keyboard and cell phone typing, I only use my left thumb) which makes it more difficult, and I type letters "G", "V", and depending on the circumstances sometimes "Z" with my left thumb (or hand) as well. But with that said, I repeat what I said at first, I think this is a great concept and seems like would be a nice keyboard for people that don't type odd like me. Nice work!

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
Great concept but bad for me personally, for reasons such as I type space with my left thumb (in normal keyboard and cell phone typing, I only use my left thumb) which makes it more difficult, and I type letters "G", "V", and depending on the circumstances sometimes "Z" with my left thumb (or hand) as well. But with that said, I repeat what I said at first, I think this is a great concept and seems like would be a nice keyboard for people that don't type odd like me. Nice work!

It was just a pragmatic design decision to place the the "g" and "v" on the right side. In the first version the "g" and the "v" were on both sides. In the next version I will add an additional (large) qwerty layout with redundant g an v keys.

zmaku

I don't know if someone suggested this before but did you conceder to maybe somehow split the spacebar, to have the spacebar on both sides. In my case when I'm typing I hit the spacebar with first available thumb. If you know what I mean. So if I have used left thumb for the last character I've typed before spacebar I will hit the spacebar with the right one, and the other way around.And in this layouts is a bit harder to hit the space with left thumb.For me though :)

overground

Retired Senior Moderator / Inactive Recognized Dev
Bought the donate version in the market. Haven't used it yet, but you should make it clickable by either the open button on the app page or through the install notification. Clicking on either would take the user to the IME page in settings so they can enable the keyboard. Reason I'm suggesting is because I read the comments.

nikolo98

Aug 31, 2009
Shah Alam
Cool app. I've tried it and it works quite well. I find that I need a little getting used to first. All in all, the sizes of the keys are just right and I'll be looking forward to using the keyboard. Good stuff and thanks for the effort.

oski252

Nov 4, 2008
G-Ville
SO far so good here. I really like this keyboard a lot! GREAT job!!!!

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

kindred7

Jul 13, 2010
Im seriously impressed. Good work man, you have something here that can rly blow the other keyboards out of the water. I rly have no complaints about the arrangement. I cant lie though at first I was a lil at ends as to why the keyboard was kinda divided in half and separated but after typing one sentence I honestly felt at home.

One bug I've noticed though, on my home screen if I long press for the keyboard and I have the small keyboard enabled, it will show the big keyboard until I type something. This doesn't show up when I am in an input box though, it functions normally there.

Thanks and I hope you keep it up and keep those arrow keys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note (nov 30, 2010): By now there are two versions: a lite version, published here (free) and a full version (paid) on the market. The full version will be continuously updated with new features, layouts, styles and more. The lite version will get no more updates.

(feb. 16, 2011) New thread for the full (paid-for) version created here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=948179 . Please post your requests, questions, comments etc in that thread. Thanks

------ initial announcement ----------

New thumb keyboard for easy thumb typing. The idea is simple. I've split the keyboard in two halfs, took them apart and placed them above each other (see screenshots). Result: much wider keys...

thumbkeyboard15b.png
    thumbkeyboard15a.png
    portraity.png

Somehow the brains does the remapping remarkably well. Left/right to up/down doesn't seem a problem. The result is that the keys can be defined with a greater width and that for thumb typing the phone can be hold in much more natural way.

landscapej.png

Press-and-hold the keyboard icon for switching between layouts, settings and selecting another input method:

menu.png

I'm very curious what other users think about this concept... Also I'm very interested in getting feedback on the usability of this concept.

Site
    App blog: http://thumbkeyboard.blogspot.com/

Little FAQ

Q: I don't see the keyboard after installing it
    A: The procedure of selecting the keyboard is described in the screen you see right after you have installed the keyboard. It's described in the section "Selecting the Keyboard". You can consult this info at any given time by tapping on the Thumb Keyboard app in your app drawer.
    Basically the procedure is as follows: go to the Android keyboard settings menu by selecting "Settings" or "Preferences" in your app drawer and then "Keyboard ...". In this menu check "Thumb Keyboard". Now, when you want to edit something and your normal keyboard pops up, long tap in the edit field and select "Thumb Keyboard" from the "Input Method" menu.

Q: How can I switch to another layout or set up my preferences for the keyboard
    A: Also described in the info screen under the header "Setting up the Keyboard". Anyway... long press on the keyboard icon in the left corner at the bottom of the keyboard to access the settings menu and to switch layouts.

Q: I can't download the file that is attached to this post.
    If you try to download it from your Android phone keep in mind that not all browsers support downloading apk files directly. You can either try another browser, use a download helper or download it from your pc/mac

Q: Will this keyboard help me to find answers to some urgent existential questions?
    A: No. But you can always read a good philosophy book and make notes with this keyboard.

Q: Huh?
    A: kidding

Changelog

v1.5.1 * missing accented characters added * solved spacing issues in the accented character popup keyboards * added a numpad popup keyboard (press and hold 12@) * Some additions to the help/info screen"

v1.5 * New Style * International (accented) characters * Popup Smiley Keyboard * Option to mark keyboard blocks with different colors * Numbers on the compact keyboard * Checkerboard Vibrate Pattern * option to set vibration strength * etc (Compatible with Android 1.6 and higher)
    (Users who already downloaded the 1.5 version are adviced to download the (new) attached version again)

v1.4.1: Small update: * added a extra, redundant "g" to the "asdf" row to address more typing habits. * made the keyboard suitable for all possible screen densities

v1.4: *finally adapted the landscape keyboards for thumbtyping (see screenshot) *added new portrait layouts with a squeezed q for better accessibility of the t (see screenshot) *changed the layout of the symbol/num keyboards

v1.3: Added help info + caught a bug or two

v1.2.1: = 1.2 + little bug fixed (and . added to the first symbol screen)

v1.2: Changed the behavior of the Shift-key: *Double tap on Shift key to turn on/off Caps Lock * auto capitalize after period (can be turned off in preferences)

v1.1:
    • New additional small layout
    • QWERZ keyboard layouts (Big and Small)
    • (1 Gesture added) Swipe back for backspace
    • Sound bug fixed
    • Remember: long press menu icon for options and settings
    v 1.0 release

Distribution
    I will not allow any distribution of this keyboard without a explicit permission by me.

Full Version
    The full version (with text prediction, themes, tablet layouts, resizable height, sound selection, auto quick fix, etc. etc.) is available on the Android Market and on AndroidPIT (paypal)
    I've bought it, it is a very good keyboard but there isn't any azerty layout.
    Yous said you will implement azerty this week in full version ?
    Cool.

Yes, I will add it today or tomorrow.
    Yes it Will be perfect.
    Thanks

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Will add it to the next update.
    The free keyboard is attached in the first post
    Sorry for my request but will you release the AZERTY layout for the phone-large layout and compact layout ?
    Otherwise it is the best keyboard I have ever used.

Yes, I will add it this week. I promised it before but I just forgot it in the latest updates.