• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP] TileCreator - Create tiles to all applications

Search This thread

TileCreator

Aug 2, 2015
YOU NEED TO DOWNLOAD THE COMPANION APP (TileCreator Proxy) for this app to work. Please see How To Install below!

Changes:
UPDATED: September 17th, 2015
  • Fixed bug and added functionality where left navigational panel will collapse if the window is sufficiently small fixing the alignment issue where users see all blue window.
UPDATED: September 15th, 2015
  • Added wide Tile support
  • Added Large Tile support
  • Added support for numbers in Proxy Link name
  • Added ability for you to import and export tiles
  • Added ability to change tile backgrounds (works well with transparent pngs)
  • Added ability for you to unpin from tiles from TileCreator
  • Created a better Help Menu
UPDATED: September 2nd, 2015
  • Rewrote TileCreator Proxy to handle errors better and have a UI!

This program does exactly what you hoped it would do for windows 10. It creates tiles to your Windows 10 Start Menu that open any application when clicked.

Please note that this app is a work in progress so please don't be too harsh. As of right now only square images are supported. Expect updates :).

With that being said, the following are on my to do list:
  • Implement Abstract Live Tile customization so users can create and send custom live tile notifications
  • Add ability to set color of tiles instead of only relying on images *Done
  • Support other tile sizes (wide and large)*Done
  • Add ability to select color in color picker based on tile image (eyedropper)
  • Add ability to Import and export tile(s) *Done
  • Add Localization (Spanish, Korean, Chinese, French, German) if possible
Please send feedback to [email protected]

How to install:
Code:
[SIZE="2"][B]How to install:[/B][/SIZE]
[LIST=1]
[*]Please go to the Microsoft Store on your Windows 10 device and install TileCreator from the Microsoft App Store
[*]Please download "TileCreator Proxy Installation.zip" from one of the below links:

[U][B]Use this file at your own risk![/B][/U]

[B]MD5 Hash[/B]: a74cb6824efddca3ad0676e577375624
[B]SHA-1 Hash[/B]: 83e6dc0ab4f1103574ef4e457b319e0378fbc60f

[B]Dropbox:[/B]
[URL="https://www.dropbox.com/s/12xu8q552oweg8c/TileCreator%20Proxy%20Installation.zip?dl=0"]TileCreator Proxy v1.0 Installer Zip[/URL]
[B]Mega:[/B]
[URL="https://mega.nz/#!z4JlBRSZ!w4tMK8W7Rq5Rrb6F0NEXaOyosvmQvxp45IqkQzwHbyI"]TileCreator Proxy v1.0 Installer Zip[/URL]

[*]Add links using TileCreator Proxy and copy the name to your clipboard.
[*]Open the Microsoft Store App TileCreator and pin a tile using the name you have on your clipboard as the ApprovedApps key Example: notepad
[*]Pin tile and enjoy!
[/LIST]

Here are some screenshots of the app in action!

TileCreator
VHdMNjO.png

Start Menu:
wQxFs6P.png

TileCreator Proxy:
vlq51uO.png

If you enjoy the app want to donate, here is a paypal link where you can!

Notes: The icons seen in the screenshots above were by dakirby309 and can be found in the Metro-UI-Icon-Set-725-Icons at DeviantArt

Last edited:

TileCreator

Aug 2, 2015
Why do I need a companion app (TileCreator Proxy)?
The reason you need a companion app (TileCreator Proxy) is because Windows Modern Apps (apps from the Windows Store) do not have the capability to execute/run programs from your local machine. Additionally, Windows Apps from the Store are the only ones that can pin start menu tiles (this is why Oblytile doesnt work anymore... its not a windows store app). I bypassed this in TileCreator program by creating a desktop application (TileCreator Proxy) that creates a generic protocol to expose local apps.
Please download the companion app from the post above!

Why does TileCreator Proxy open and close briefly after clicking a pinned tile?
This is a limitation of Windows 10. Windows Apps from the Store are the only ones that can pin start menu tiles (this is why Oblytile doesnt work anymore... its not a windows store app). Currently, I have been unable to find a way around this. Please note that I am actively looking.

Cheers,
TileCreator

Last edited:

TileCreator

Aug 2, 2015
why do we need to install both the Windows Store App and the Desktop App? :confused:
the Pin More app doesn't need a desktop app 'companion'...

Pin More DOES require a desktop companion application to pin local executables (aka PinAnything). If you are just using Pin More, Steam and Origin apps will work because they (both Steam and Origin) expose an app specific protocol via the registry.
Also I am pretty sure PinAnything does the exact same thing my desktop app does except for both my apps (TileCreator) are free!

The reason you need a desktop app is because Windows Apps from the Store do not have the capability to execute/run programs from your local machine. (Pin More or TileCreator). Also, Windows Apps from the Store are the only ones that can pin start menu tiles (this is why Oblytile doesnt work anymore... its not a windows store app). I bypassed this in my program by creating a desktop application (TileCreatorProxy) that creates a generic protocol to expose local apps via this protocol (Pretty sure PinAnything does the same)

Last edited:

Sheogorath

May 1, 2015
Pin More DOES require a desktop companion application to pin local executables (aka PinAnything). If you are just using Pin More, Steam and Origin apps will work because they (both Steam and Origin) expose an app specific protocol via the registry.
Also I am pretty sure PinAnything does the exact same thing my desktop app does except for both my apps (TileCreator) are free!

The reason you need a desktop app is because Windows Apps from the Store do not have the capability to execute/run programs from your local machine. (Pin More or TileCreator). Also, Windows Apps from the Store are the only ones that can pin start menu tiles (this is why Oblytile doesnt work anymore... its not a windows store app). I bypassed this in my program by creating a desktop application (TileCreatorProxy) that creates a generic protocol to expose local apps via this protocol (Pretty sure PinAnything does the same)

Oh, I see! thanks! :)
Do you plan on adding another features like running as admin, adding arguments, forcing single instance (if the program is already opened it brings it to the foreground)?

certainly looking forward! :D

edit: ps- will your app open every time I click on one of the tiles (like Pin More does), or will it open the linked app immediately?

Last edited:

TileCreator

Aug 2, 2015
edit: ps- will your app open every time I click on one of the tiles (like Pin More does), or will it open the linked app immediately?
TileCreator will open every time you click on a start tile HOWEVER I close it very very quickly programmatically :). This is a limitation of Windows Apps from the store. In the App store guidelines it states that developers cannot programmatically close their own app... so I have TileCreatorProxy.exe closing the app instead :p

PS: If it doesnt close automatically this week its because there is a race condition that I am aware of however I have not had time to correctly implement the auto closing part. It is there and will work most of the time for 99% of users. I started programming this app 2 days ago so the easier approach was to say Close TileCreator versus a timeout to check every so often if it was open... then close it. If you find that tileCreator was not closed after you click the start menu, you will also find that none of the button handlers will work. Do not worry, this was an optimization and will display a better message after I can get the 2nd release out!

Cheers, TileCreator

Last edited:

TileCreator

Aug 2, 2015
Do you plan on adding another features like running as admin, adding arguments, forcing single instance (if the program is already opened it brings it to the foreground)?

certainly looking forward! :D

running as admin, adding arguments, forcing single instance can definitely be supported.

TileCreator

Aug 2, 2015

TileCreator will open every time you click on a start tile HOWEVER I close it very very quickly programmatically . This is a limitation of Windows Apps from the store. In the App store guidelines it states that developers cannot programmatically close their own app... so I have TileCreatorProxy.exe closing the app instead :p

PS: If it doesnt close automatically this week its because there is a race condition that I am aware of however I have not had time to correctly implement the auto closing part. It is there and will work most of the time for 99% of users. I started programming this app 2 days ago so the easier approach was to say Close TileCreator versus a timeout to check every so often if it was open... then close it. If you find that tileCreator was not closed after you click the start menu, you will also find that none of the button handlers will work. Do not worry, this was an optimization and will display a better message after I can get the 2nd release out!

Reactions: Sheogorath

GObonzo

Aug 4, 2015
I've read through some of these posts and i see a response about needing the background program running to launch these Start\Metro "Apps" through your tile creator.
but, almost none of my Start Screen tiles are actual "Apps". it is 90% custom shortcuts to .exe files that I have pinned to the Start Screen myself. they are not Store "Apps" they are only shortcuts so what you are saying shouldn't pertain to these.
give some more detail please as to why it takes a separate program running to launch a pinned shortcut.

Jakaria Amin

Aug 4, 2015
Great work

Have been waiting for something like this app since windows 10 release. hope we will see this on windows store soon.
Adding these functionalities of your to do list will make this app complete. Big Thanks. :eek::eek::eek:

kasiopec

Aug 4, 2015
is it possible to make program running in trey and do the stuff without opening, because i dont mind if it is open, unless it is on my task bar

Berserk87

Jan 11, 2008
is it possible to make program running in trey and do the stuff without opening, because i dont mind if it is open, unless it is on my task bar

^this. I wouldnt have any issue with it being open if it was in the tool tray in the corner. that way you could hide the icon with it running still and not have to see it.

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

Just received an email that it will show up in the store in 24 hours! Cheers!

2 hours left!
I just noticed that according to your original time stamp the app should be on the market by now but I still can't find it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    YOU NEED TO DOWNLOAD THE COMPANION APP (TileCreator Proxy) for this app to work. Please see How To Install below!

Changes:
    UPDATED: September 17th, 2015
    • Fixed bug and added functionality where left navigational panel will collapse if the window is sufficiently small fixing the alignment issue where users see all blue window.
    UPDATED: September 15th, 2015
    • Added wide Tile support
    • Added Large Tile support
    • Added support for numbers in Proxy Link name
    • Added ability for you to import and export tiles
    • Added ability to change tile backgrounds (works well with transparent pngs)
    • Added ability for you to unpin from tiles from TileCreator
    • Created a better Help Menu
    UPDATED: September 2nd, 2015
    • Rewrote TileCreator Proxy to handle errors better and have a UI!

This program does exactly what you hoped it would do for windows 10. It creates tiles to your Windows 10 Start Menu that open any application when clicked.

Please note that this app is a work in progress so please don't be too harsh. As of right now only square images are supported. Expect updates :).

With that being said, the following are on my to do list:
    • Implement Abstract Live Tile customization so users can create and send custom live tile notifications
    • Add ability to set color of tiles instead of only relying on images *Done
    • Support other tile sizes (wide and large)*Done
    • Add ability to select color in color picker based on tile image (eyedropper)
    • Add ability to Import and export tile(s) *Done
    • Add Localization (Spanish, Korean, Chinese, French, German) if possible
    Please send feedback to [email protected]

How to install:
    Code:
    [SIZE="2"][B]How to install:[/B][/SIZE]
    [LIST=1]
    [*]Please go to the Microsoft Store on your Windows 10 device and install TileCreator from the Microsoft App Store
    [*]Please download "TileCreator Proxy Installation.zip" from one of the below links:

[U][B]Use this file at your own risk![/B][/U]

[B]MD5 Hash[/B]: a74cb6824efddca3ad0676e577375624
    [B]SHA-1 Hash[/B]: 83e6dc0ab4f1103574ef4e457b319e0378fbc60f

[B]Dropbox:[/B]
    [URL="https://www.dropbox.com/s/12xu8q552oweg8c/TileCreator%20Proxy%20Installation.zip?dl=0"]TileCreator Proxy v1.0 Installer Zip[/URL]
    [B]Mega:[/B]
    [URL="https://mega.nz/#!z4JlBRSZ!w4tMK8W7Rq5Rrb6F0NEXaOyosvmQvxp45IqkQzwHbyI"]TileCreator Proxy v1.0 Installer Zip[/URL]

[*]Add links using TileCreator Proxy and copy the name to your clipboard.
    [*]Open the Microsoft Store App TileCreator and pin a tile using the name you have on your clipboard as the ApprovedApps key Example: notepad
    [*]Pin tile and enjoy!
    [/LIST]

Here are some screenshots of the app in action!

TileCreator
    VHdMNjO.png

Start Menu:
    wQxFs6P.png

TileCreator Proxy:
    vlq51uO.png

If you enjoy the app want to donate, here is a paypal link where you can!

Notes: The icons seen in the screenshots above were by dakirby309 and can be found in the Metro-UI-Icon-Set-725-Icons at DeviantArt
    I hacked together a very tiny app that utilizes the (newly/old) available visualelementsmanifest.xml function. Please consider this as a proof of concept and as a prototype. I am posting this here, instead of a new thread, as without TileCreator I would have never created this tiny app and it is far from perfection. Maybe this can be integrated into future TileCreator releases.
    The prototype goes as follows: The app is very simple and quite stupid. Select a ".lnk" from the startmenu list (top), select an image and click save. Then just pin the tile as usual to your startscreen directly from your startmenu. Jumplists are fully working. Sadly, wide and large tiles are not supported.

If any dev is interested in developing this to a real application, I am happy to share the source --- although it is insanely simple.

Attached a proof of concept screenshot.

Download: http://www.motzek.org/MyTile.rar (Disclaimer: You are on your own. I take no responsibility for whatsoever. App requests highest available rights.)
    MyTile.png

I moved it also here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/windows-10/development/win10tile-native-custom-windows-10-t3248677
    thanks man, I needed this to my indie games! :good:

No problem. I have been pretty busy the last week with weddings, traveling for work, and I was a bit under the weather. Should have a great update for you guys next Sunday.
    Cheers!
    TileCreator
    I'm so glad the app is being well received. Just want to let you guys know that I have been pretty busy the last two weeks but I should be able to get a majority of all the requested features done soon.

Here is a sneak preview of a newly created, more user friendly TileCreator Proxy
    pggrny8.png
    This app is turning out really nicely! I'm eagerly awaiting support for wide tiles, I'll be using it for everything! :D

Glad to hear it. I worked on it all day today (so far). I've added wide tile support, a much better help module, and have completely rewritten its internals allowing for much quicker updates, maintenance, and better code readability for developers (if I open source it).

Cheers!
    TileCreator