[APP] TileCreator - Create tiles to all applications

Search This thread

PokMahPok

Aug 5, 2011
Singapore
Tiles have no images

I downloaded Tile Creator Proxy and followed all the instructions, but I dont see a C:\TileCreator folder.

When I pin my tiles with my desired images they also turn up blank with no images. Help?

Nov 24, 2012
Hello,

Tile Creator appears excellent and single handedly turns the " new" Start-bits into something that could actually be fun to customize. However, I have bit of a concern;

Does this program do something that could appear as " suspicious activity" on radar of a Massively Multiplayer Online game admins and such? Does Til Creator somehow modify or launch anything having to do with the original exe routine of a game client in some false-alarm fashion? Does it appear as " third party activity" on environment where hacking a game's exe is daily and monitored threat? Can it appear I am trying to launch some malicious in-game gold farmer bot, instead of your excellent app?

Nope. All TileCreator and its proxy do is launch the app like you were double clicking a shortcut (well, TCProxy does it bizarrely, which my Tilandis project is meant to address, but I digress). Neither program does any sort of process modification or DLL injection or anything resembling that. You're more likely to get flagged for launching your game through Steam than you are through TileCreator (because Steam injects an overlay).

I have a similar issue. The app that TileCreator launches for me doesn't receive focus. It launches but Windows returns to the tile screen. I have to find the icon in the taskbar (or use TaskView) to switch to it. Any idea why this happens?

After a little digging into OblyTile and VBS, is this new version trying to use SendKeys and Windows 10 is sandboxing... not allowing the escape key to be sent?

The root cause of the issue may be ending the process causing Windows to return to Start.

I can't reproduce this with my replacement proxy, so I'm thinking the problem is something to do with the way TCProxy launches applications.

The ShellExecute() function takes an argument at the very end, "nShowCmd", that decides what sort of state to launch an application in. In fact, users have had access to a watered down version of this particular argument for some time, I think dating as far back as Win95.

xdBv7Zx.png

Now, I'm working on the assumption that the current TCProxy is written in AutoHotKey, just because the old one was. And I'm thinking AutoHotKey by default (no idea if it can be changed) launches programs in the background, because it's meant for automation; the way the AHK devs want you to use that function is to launch an app, automate all your tasks, and then close it behind you. This can take place entirely in the background. I'm pretty sure AHK has a call to bring a window to the foreground, and I swear up and down it used to do that, but if it isn't doing that, then maybe the developer (if he ever reappears) should fix that.

Of course, that whole paragraph up there should be disregarded if the new TCProxy isn't actually written in AHK.

I downloaded Tile Creator Proxy and followed all the instructions, but I dont see a C:\TileCreator folder.

Stop. Do not pass go.

You're following the old instructions. I don't know where you're reading the old instructions, since they aren't in the OP anymore, but those are the old instructions, for the old proxy. What you want to do instead is simply download the proxy from the OP, run the installer, then run the proxy (I think it makes a start menu shortcut). You should see a GUI appear with a bunch of textboxes. I don't have TCProxy installed at the moment, for reasons I won't repeat three times in the same post, but I remember the GUI was fairly straightforward.

When I pin my tiles with my desired images they also turn up blank with no images. Help?

You have to, have to, have to set a medium image. If you have a larger image, you can just plug that into the "medium" box, and it will autofill the large box (and the small) just fine. If you don't set it, it will be blank for all sizes, no matter whether you set an image for that size or not. I think it's a Windows bug, and I don't reckon it would be hard for TileCreator to compensate, but the developer seems to have disappeared. I personally figure he has real-world engagements taking up all his time, so don't expect a fix soon.

jimcrack68

Jul 3, 2014
Nope. All TileCreator and its proxy do is launch the app like you were double clicking a shortcut (well, TCProxy does it bizarrely, which my Tilandis project is meant to address, but I digress). Neither program does any sort of process modification or DLL injection or anything resembling that. You're more likely to get flagged for launching your game through Steam than you are through TileCreator (because Steam injects an overlay).

I can't reproduce this with my replacement proxy, so I'm thinking the problem is something to do with the way TCProxy launches applications.

The issue with TileCreator, I believe, is that it exits too early. I have a developer that was able to recreate this app for a special purpose (thanks for not obfuscating) and he found that if you put in a little delay, Windows would not return to Start when the original app exited.

Roxr123

Sep 20, 2013
Can anyone help me?
After I link the applications properly I can crreate the tiles which then get pinned in the start menu but when I click them the TileCreator Proxy opens up and I get a notification saying " ERROR OUT OF TABLE RANGE"

rafaelima091

Feb 23, 2016
Hello. Sorry if this problem was been saw before, but the Tile Creator Proxy are not working for me. Today i opened my PC, and none of the tiles i created was working, and when I tried to open Tile Creator Proxy, he just wont open. The program opens, then closes it selfs. [sorry for the bad english]

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
Hello. Sorry if this problem was been saw before, but the Tile Creator Proxy are not working for me. Today i opened my PC, and none of the tiles i created was working, and when I tried to open Tile Creator Proxy, he just wont open. The program opens, then closes it selfs. [sorry for the bad english]

I have the same problem. I commented earlier in the thread but got no replies

benswinden

Feb 27, 2016
Just started using the tool and so far everything is working well. I was able to do pretty much everything I wanted.

The issue I have is that when you select a tile, it seems the tilecreator app needs to open briefly. So everytime I select a tile it shows the TileCreator splash screen briefly, but this splash screen is super ugly ( i'm sorry!! : } ) Is there anyway to not have this splash screen pop up everytime?

fromBzh

Sep 23, 2015
+1 with previous question,
and in the meantime you can reduce its size to a minimum,

And could anyone tell me what is the adress to run the TileCreator app, because that's the obly one I can't change the icon.
Thx

Dayanto

Oct 8, 2015
Just started using the tool and so far everything is working well. I was able to do pretty much everything I wanted.

The issue I have is that when you select a tile, it seems the tilecreator app needs to open briefly. So everytime I select a tile it shows the TileCreator splash screen briefly, but this splash screen is super ugly ( i'm sorry!! : } ) Is there anyway to not have this splash screen pop up everytime?

Well, that's how the program works. It launches the app which then runs your program and closes. There isn't really much you can do to affect the process as a user.

However, I've tried a couple of other programs (I hope it's ok to mention them here), and out of those, Pin More (paid) and Better StartMenu (free) do a very good job of either closing the window quickly or not showing it at all.

Roxr123

Sep 20, 2013
Can anyone help me?
After I link the applications properly I can create the tiles which then get pinned in the start menu but when I click them the TileCreator Proxy opens up and I get a notification saying " ERROR OUT OF TABLE RANGE"

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 415

roostaamir

Feb 19, 2010
HI there all
When I click on a tile I created using this program, a "Tile creator" windows will be showed and closed first, and then the desired application is opened.
Does anyone know a way that the first window won't show up?

InfinitePlus

Mar 10, 2015
Zagreb
I tried to use this with Witcher 3 and everytime I link the .exe file and click the tile nothing happens, I tried to link it with the Steam shortcut but I just get the ''Catastrophic Failure'' error. Can someone help me?

kawisphoenix

Jul 19, 2016
im using windows 10 pro 64 bit , and at the first time the tilecreator works well, but after a while, i dont know why , i cant open the tilecreator proxy , i try to reinstall it and still got the same result, i still cant open the tilecreator proxy , can you help me pls ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    YOU NEED TO DOWNLOAD THE COMPANION APP (TileCreator Proxy) for this app to work. Please see How To Install below!

Changes:
    UPDATED: September 17th, 2015
    • Fixed bug and added functionality where left navigational panel will collapse if the window is sufficiently small fixing the alignment issue where users see all blue window.
    UPDATED: September 15th, 2015
    • Added wide Tile support
    • Added Large Tile support
    • Added support for numbers in Proxy Link name
    • Added ability for you to import and export tiles
    • Added ability to change tile backgrounds (works well with transparent pngs)
    • Added ability for you to unpin from tiles from TileCreator
    • Created a better Help Menu
    UPDATED: September 2nd, 2015
    • Rewrote TileCreator Proxy to handle errors better and have a UI!

This program does exactly what you hoped it would do for windows 10. It creates tiles to your Windows 10 Start Menu that open any application when clicked.

Please note that this app is a work in progress so please don't be too harsh. As of right now only square images are supported. Expect updates :).

With that being said, the following are on my to do list:
    • Implement Abstract Live Tile customization so users can create and send custom live tile notifications
    • Add ability to set color of tiles instead of only relying on images *Done
    • Support other tile sizes (wide and large)*Done
    • Add ability to select color in color picker based on tile image (eyedropper)
    • Add ability to Import and export tile(s) *Done
    • Add Localization (Spanish, Korean, Chinese, French, German) if possible
    Please send feedback to [email protected]

How to install:
    Code:
    [SIZE="2"][B]How to install:[/B][/SIZE]
    [LIST=1]
    [*]Please go to the Microsoft Store on your Windows 10 device and install TileCreator from the Microsoft App Store
    [*]Please download "TileCreator Proxy Installation.zip" from one of the below links:

[U][B]Use this file at your own risk![/B][/U]

[B]MD5 Hash[/B]: a74cb6824efddca3ad0676e577375624
    [B]SHA-1 Hash[/B]: 83e6dc0ab4f1103574ef4e457b319e0378fbc60f

[B]Dropbox:[/B]
    [URL="https://www.dropbox.com/s/12xu8q552oweg8c/TileCreator%20Proxy%20Installation.zip?dl=0"]TileCreator Proxy v1.0 Installer Zip[/URL]
    [B]Mega:[/B]
    [URL="https://mega.nz/#!z4JlBRSZ!w4tMK8W7Rq5Rrb6F0NEXaOyosvmQvxp45IqkQzwHbyI"]TileCreator Proxy v1.0 Installer Zip[/URL]

[*]Add links using TileCreator Proxy and copy the name to your clipboard.
    [*]Open the Microsoft Store App TileCreator and pin a tile using the name you have on your clipboard as the ApprovedApps key Example: notepad
    [*]Pin tile and enjoy!
    [/LIST]

Here are some screenshots of the app in action!

TileCreator
    VHdMNjO.png

Start Menu:
    wQxFs6P.png

TileCreator Proxy:
    vlq51uO.png

If you enjoy the app want to donate, here is a paypal link where you can!

Notes: The icons seen in the screenshots above were by dakirby309 and can be found in the Metro-UI-Icon-Set-725-Icons at DeviantArt
    I hacked together a very tiny app that utilizes the (newly/old) available visualelementsmanifest.xml function. Please consider this as a proof of concept and as a prototype. I am posting this here, instead of a new thread, as without TileCreator I would have never created this tiny app and it is far from perfection. Maybe this can be integrated into future TileCreator releases.
    The prototype goes as follows: The app is very simple and quite stupid. Select a ".lnk" from the startmenu list (top), select an image and click save. Then just pin the tile as usual to your startscreen directly from your startmenu. Jumplists are fully working. Sadly, wide and large tiles are not supported.

If any dev is interested in developing this to a real application, I am happy to share the source --- although it is insanely simple.

Attached a proof of concept screenshot.

Download: http://www.motzek.org/MyTile.rar (Disclaimer: You are on your own. I take no responsibility for whatsoever. App requests highest available rights.)
    MyTile.png

I moved it also here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/windows-10/development/win10tile-native-custom-windows-10-t3248677
    thanks man, I needed this to my indie games! :good:

No problem. I have been pretty busy the last week with weddings, traveling for work, and I was a bit under the weather. Should have a great update for you guys next Sunday.
    Cheers!
    TileCreator
    I'm so glad the app is being well received. Just want to let you guys know that I have been pretty busy the last two weeks but I should be able to get a majority of all the requested features done soon.

Here is a sneak preview of a newly created, more user friendly TileCreator Proxy
    pggrny8.png
    This app is turning out really nicely! I'm eagerly awaiting support for wide tiles, I'll be using it for everything! :D

Glad to hear it. I worked on it all day today (so far). I've added wide tile support, a much better help module, and have completely rewritten its internals allowing for much quicker updates, maintenance, and better code readability for developers (if I open source it).

Cheers!
    TileCreator