[APP][TimberX] Material theme music player written in Kotlin+Architecture components

Search This thread

naman14

Feb 15, 2013
New Delhi
Around 6 months back, I decided to completely rewrite my Timber music player and today I have published the new version, TimberX.

https://github.com/naman14/TimberX
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.naman14.timberx

TimberX is built with latest development tools and design patterns.

- Written in Kotlin
- Android Architecture Components (ViewModels, Livedata, Room)
- Databinding

TimberX works across all devices including

- Phones
- Android Wear
- Android Auto
- Chromecast and other cast devices
- Google Assistant

I know that there are lots of music players out there but I always wanted to rewrite my original music player in Kotlin and properly explore the capabilities of the MediaSession APIs in Android. This new version is built on a single MediaBrowserService that is used by all connecting clients.

Looking forward to the feedback on the architecture of the app and contributions are welcome. Thanks!

The app on play store is paid, exactly same version is available on Github release for free and is also attached here

Attachments

• app-release.apk
    5.4 MB · Views: 14,733

JRJ442

Jan 18, 2011
Salisbury, Md
Google Pixel 3a
Looks really good so far! I bought the paid version because the UI is so pretty. How do you get into the extra options though? I can't find an actual settings button. Also on the player screen the 3 dot menu button on the top right is unresponsive on my Pixel 2 Android 9

Ace42

Jul 20, 2009
New York
Moto G Power
Motorola Edge
I have a few questions regarding the app's features:

- Will the upcoming dark mode come as dark grey or black?
- Any chance for opus support?
- How do lyrics work?

Other than that it's coming along. Here are some things I noticed:

- App crashes when viewing albums on 5.1.1 (Stock LG)
- FLAC, m4a, wma, and even OGG work
- "Up next", very useful for shuffle or long playlists
- Spacious UI for the now playing screen
- Seekbar starts at the end of the line. Timestamp works otherwise
- Responsive, no stuttering

naman14

Feb 15, 2013
New Delhi
I have a few questions regarding the app's features:

- Will the upcoming dark mode come as dark grey or black?
- Any chance for opus support?
- How do lyrics work?

Other than that it's coming along. Here are some things I noticed:

- App crashes when viewing albums on 5.1.1 (Stock LG)
- FLAC, m4a, wma, and even OGG work
- "Up next", very useful for shuffle or long playlists
- Spacious UI for the now playing screen
- Seekbar starts at the end of the line. Timestamp works otherwise
- Responsive, no stuttering

- Depends on the implementation that will be followed, the last time I added theme engine to Timber, there was too much theming sepcific code throughout the app. I want to avoid that this time. If I am able to find a clean way to implement dark mode then yeah, there will be more combinations available.

- Opus support is not planned currently

- Lyrics are fetched from a public api- makeitpersonal.co
Lyrics embedded in the mp3 file will be parsed and displayed in next release.

Will check the crash on album details. Thanks for the detailed feedback.

peayush

Feb 5, 2019
How to use this with WearOs?

Hi, i bought the app on the Play Store and it is clean. But i was interested to know how to use this with WearOs?

naman14

Feb 15, 2013
New Delhi
Hi, i bought the app on the Play Store and it is clean. But i was interested to know how to use this with WearOs?
If you have a smartwatch, then start playing any song with your phone and then you can swipe left on the now playing notification in your watch to access controls and swipe left again to access you whole music library on the watch.

Reactions: Yash4752

peayush

Feb 5, 2019
Oh, i had hoped for a smartwatch app as well. Anyway, the above mentioned things work with the default music player as well.
If you have a smartwatch, then start playing any song with your phone and then you can swipe left on the now playing notification in your watch to access controls and swipe left again to access you whole music library on the watch.

Apr 16, 2017
Hey, so how do I use it on Google Assistant? I can't even use it because it doesn't recognize the app's name.

I also found a bug: The song progress bar and time don't reset when the song ends.

Also I'd like the ability to use my own time-stamped lyrics, and to be able to customize the player more.

This app is interesting nonetheless!

Last edited:

naman14

Feb 15, 2013
New Delhi
Hey, so how do I use it on Google Assistant? I can't even use it because it doesn't recognize the app's name.

I also found a bug: The song progress bar and time don't reset when the song ends.

Also I'd like the ability to use my own time-stamped lyrics, and to be able to customize the player more.

This app is interesting nonetheless!

Hi! Can you check if you are able to control playback using Assistant (try saying play song/pause song/next song when you are using Timber), or does assistant doesn't work at all?

Already noted the progressbar bug, more customisability will be soon be added in future releases.

Abnova

Jun 16, 2014
It mixed number of albums and songs ?? . Like in the picture attached, Kanye West has 117 albums and 8 songs instead of 117 songs and 8 albums

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190206-005322.jpg
    Screenshot_20190206-005322.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 427

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Around 6 months back, I decided to completely rewrite my Timber music player and today I have published the new version, TimberX.

https://github.com/naman14/TimberX

TimberX is built with latest development tools and design patterns.

- Written in Kotlin
    - Android Architecture Components (ViewModels, Livedata, Room)
    - Databinding

TimberX works across all devices including

- Phones
    - Android Wear
    - Android Auto
    - Chromecast and other cast devices
    - Google Assistant

I know that there are lots of music players out there but I always wanted to rewrite my original music player in Kotlin and properly explore the capabilities of the MediaSession APIs in Android. This new version is built on a single MediaBrowserService that is used by all connecting clients.

Looking forward to the feedback on the architecture of the app and contributions are welcome. Thanks!

The app on play store is paid, exactly same version is available on Github release for free and is also attached here
    Yes! Have already started working on adding dark mode
    New update has bee released on Play store and on Github

- Dark and Black Themes
    - Added option to select default page to open
    - Added option to toggle Last.fm images
    - Fixed cast not working
    - Fixed artist images from last.fm not loading properly
    - Add option to sort albums
    - Added animations when navigating

Please try it out and let mw know of any feedback.
    There is also a bug due to which clicking on Delete from Device will crash the app. I am aware of that and will push the fix in next release.

Play Store - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.naman14.timberx

Github - https://github.com/naman14/TimberX/releases/tag/V1.5
    Hi all, I just published a new release on Github and on Play Store with lots of crash and bug fixes.
    More detailed info about the update here -
    https://github.com/naman14/TimberX/releases/tag/V1.3

force stop on playlist and artists other than that amazing design
    The crashes on playlists and artists should be fixed now
    Thanks for purchasing! There is no settings menu as such in the app currently. Will fix the overflow menu on player screen
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone