[APP] TouchResponse Fix for new ROM [5-18-2010]

Search This thread

zim2323

May 27, 2008
***Over the last 2 months, I have been through more issues with T-Mobile then just the issues from the software side. I have spent the majority of that time working with them to try and fix a data connectivity issue I was having. After hard resets, ROM update, and then a site survey, T-Mobile found that the area where I live does NOT have adequate enough coverage to competently supply data coverage to my phone. Notes from the tech said that towers were noted as needed but NO BUDGET was available to deploy a new tower in the area. Because of this, the account rep I spoke to immediately offered a full refund on my unsubsidized HD2 and a refund for all services rendered to-date, including accessories for the phone. As of last night, I left T-Mobile and joined AT&T with a 32gb iPhone in preperation for the upcoming 4G. I'll either trade it in if within 30 days, or give 3GS to wife and get a 4HD on a second line. I have been a Windows Mobile user for YEARS. I still love the HD2 and would never have gotten rid of it, except for the fact I know that AT&T's Edge bands are going away to make room for 3G, and I don't want issues of trying to run HD2 on AT&T's network. I want to stress how much I LOVED the HD2. To me, the phone had a lot of improvement needed, but for what MS and HTC had to work with, it was the best Windows Mobile phone to-date, IMHO. That being said, I have lots of friends with the iPhone, our company exclusively carries it, so I also got a nice discount. I've used one from a distance several times, but never really had one that was mine to really dig into. So far, I am REALLY happy with the phone. I'll jailbreak it and start tweaking it, just like I have my Windows Mobile phones for years, but it's something new for me to play with. =) So, with that being said, I am going to retire from this thread and anybody is more then welcome to take it over. Nibbley15 might be able to do this. I'm still need to get him setup with some software issues he was having, but baby and family haven't left me with a lot of time. Nibbley15, I haven't forgot about you, I just haven't been home to get things configured yet. I'll be in touch soon.

Thanks! ZIMMAY!***

Ok, I did a lot of playing with the registry this weekend to try and get the same TouchResponse in the new ROM as I had in the old. That has really been my only compaint about the ROM.

I have finished making a CAB. Use at your own risk. I played guine pig and did this myself with no ill effects.

Here are the reg keys that are changed:

Settings from HD2Tweak:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\TouchPanel]
"PressureThreshold"=dword:000162f2

This is the setting that seems to help the most with being able to click/touch items on screen, especially the corners:[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\HARDWARE\Setting\TouchPanel]
"FingerThreshold"=dword:00000000

Settings from HD2Tweak:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\OEM\TFLOSettings]
"FingerPressure"=dword:000249F0
"SpeedHigh"=dword:00000000
"SpeedLow"=dword:0000000e

I am still curious what the other settings that Nibbley15 found and how they relate.

***Update 5/21: Added cab to enable Screen options in System Settings to do a screen calibration.
***UPdate 5/22: Reg entry for new CAB is as follows:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\ControlPanel\Pen]
"Hide"=dword:00000000

Attachments

• TouchResponse_Fix_zim2323.cab
    1.7 KB · Views: 3,719
Last edited:

secano

Mar 27, 2010
New York City
Ok, I did a lot of playing with the registry this weekend to try and get the same TouchResponse in the new ROM as I had in the old. That has really been my only compaint about the ROM.

Below is what I found to work for me, better then anything I've tried so far. I will be the first to warn you that I have NO IDEA what I'm really doing in relation to TouchResponse, but I do have a good understanding of the registry. The values I've applied may really be nothing more then a happy thought in my head. Though I seem to be able to actually use the close/ok buttons in the upper right part of the screen.

I can make a CAB later, but these are the settings I adjusted my settings to.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\HARDWARE\Setting\TouchPanel]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\OEM\TFLOSettings]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Drivers\TouchPanel]
"PressureThreshold"=dword:000162F2

I'd like to see if others could test and post what your experience is. Even better, we may get some help from the chef's to confirm, deny, correct, extrapolate, etc, etc, to find a better fix.

***Edit: Forgot to mention. While the bottom 2 did help, the first FingerThreshold settings seemed to be what made the real difference for being able to competently hit buttons without feeling like I was jackhammering the phone. =)

Thanks!

I would have to say that there would be a way to adjust the touchscreen on 2.13 as 2.10 does not have those registries...Well I'll give it a try when I upgrade to 2.13.

Thanks

zim2323

May 27, 2008
I would have to say that there would be a way to adjust the touchscreen on 2.13 as 2.10 does not have those registries...Well I'll give it a try when I upgrade to 2.13.

Thanks

Thanks. Personally I'm running these exact reg and it's working a million times better. But like I said, could be in my head. The only other things I changed sensitivity wise is the scrolling affects that HD2Tweak has. I'll be adding those to whatever I CAB up for a complete fix. I used SKTracker to find out which reg entries changed.

Nibbley15

Feb 21, 2008
Yes,
Thanks! Please keep the ideas flowing here. Thanks to all that are working this!

Last edited:

Nibbley15

Feb 21, 2008
I'm posting this reply for folks that are using the 2.13 STOCK ROM and you may want to know the original settings to revert back too or other places to look for you REG peeps to look at.

"FingerThreshold"=dword:00000031 STOCK SETTING

STOCK 2.13 version doesn't have this key

STOCK 2.13 version doesn't have this key

Did find these keys:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\HARDWARE\CONFIG\TOUCH]
"BaseThreshold" = dword: 20
"FingerThreshold"=dword:31 (0X00001F) <- NOTE:
"NoiseThreshold" = dword: 20

NOTE: if you change the key[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\HARDWARE\Setting\TouchPanel] to "FingerThreshold"=dword:0
then this value will change to 20, hmmmm.

Other notes: I think that BaseThreshold is where it starts?
I think that the Fingerthreshold here is where it all starts from after learning?
I think that the NoiseThreshold is the amount of "noise" from your fingertouch is allowed before it recognizes before it knows your finger is really touching the screen?

2nd half of post: I'm posting this for folks that may want to know what was in the 2.10.1 STOCK ROM:

STOCK 2.10.1 version doesn't have this key

STOCK 2.10.1 version doesn't have this key

Did find these keys:
"BaseThreshold" = dword: 0
"FingerThreshold"=dword: 20 (0X000014) <- NOTE: now this is interresting

This is what I recommend folks to change their 2.13 Builds to match the 2.10.1 Build for Touch Response.

"BaseThreshold" = dword: 0
"FingerThreshold"=dword: 20 (0X000014) <- NOTE: this may change automatically on you from the above change (Setting\TouchPanel)

Last edited:

ipsaa

Apr 27, 2010
i'm a newbie!!!!
can anyone tell me how cani get to those registry or what kind of program that i need to see the registry? do i need to connect with the computer to see it and change it?

Last edited:

Nibbley15

Feb 21, 2008
i'm a newbie!!!!
can anyone tell me how cani get to those registry or what kind of program that i need to see the registry? do i need to connect with the computer to see it and change it?

Hello,
I will try to put this simply, please do not mess with your registry unless you know what you are doing it can crash your phone. When we finally find the fix for this, a cab file will follow shortly. The cab file will do the work for you and you don't have to worry about killing your phone.
If you really really really want to try then please search the threads and there you will find your answers.

mmeyer4663

Feb 8, 2006
Broomfield, CO

Below is what I found to work for me, better then anything I've tried so far. I will be the first to warn you that I have NO IDEA what I'm really doing in relation to TouchResponse, but I do have a good understanding of the registry. The values I've applied may really be nothing more then a happy thought in my head. Though I seem to be able to actually use the close/ok buttons in the upper right part of the screen.

I can make a CAB later, but these are the settings I adjusted my settings to.

I'd like to see if others could test and post what your experience is. Even better, we may get some help from the chef's to confirm, deny, correct, extrapolate, etc, etc, to find a better fix.

***Edit: Forgot to mention. While the bottom 2 did help, the first FingerThreshold settings seemed to be what made the real difference for being able to competently hit buttons without feeling like I was jackhammering the phone. =)

Thanks!

Did you have to add the last two? I am running the release leaked on HTC last week and do not see the last two.

zim2323

May 27, 2008
I'm posting this reply for folks that may be using 6.5.X and not know the original settings to revert back too or other places to look for you REG peeps to look at.

"FingerThreshold"=dword:00000031

6.5.X version doesn't have this key

6.5.X version doesn't have this key

Did find this key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\HARDWARE\CONFIG\]
"FingerThreshold"=dword:31 (0X00001F)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\HARDWARE\SETTING\TOUCHPANEL]
"FingerThreshold"=dword:31 (0X00001F)

some others worth looking at possibly:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\HTC\TouchGL]
"DBCLKFingerDistance"=dword:45
"DBCLKFingerInterval"=dword:350

THANK YOU for posting this info. I hadn't got back to do that yet.

zim2323

May 27, 2008
Did you have to add the last two? I am running the release leaked on HTC last week and do not see the last two.

Both of those keys/values were there. Although the one thing I had already installed and run was BSBTweaks and HD2Tweaks. Either of those 2 could have created the values. They seem to actually work, but that's kinda why I was posting, to see what others experience was with it.

zim2323

May 27, 2008
Interesting. I do not see the last two entries in my reg.
I guess the difference is, the HTC version for TMO HD2 leaked last week is 21892.

Just to clarify,

I am using a completely stock build of the new TMobile ROM. Based on the information I've read and that has been posted here, it looks like older ROMs may, or may not have those reg keys/settings implemented depending on the ROM timeline.

zim2323

May 27, 2008
For those that have had a chance to try these settings, does it seem to improve things?

The numbers I used were just numbers I kept increasing. I have no idea what the max value is or could be.

I'm hoping tomorrow I'll have a chance to post the reset of the reg tweaks I used from HD2Tweaks that would be apart of the entire TouchResponse "package" that I've been working with.

Also, just in case someone wonders, don't ask for permission, TAKE PERMISSION to use this information however you want. You can say you figured it out and incorporate it into "My Awesome ROM". I really don't care. It's about getting things fixed we don't like, and making them better. I could care less who gets credit. I know for a fact that there are chef's and others out there that know a bazillion times more about this stuff then me. I just like know that I helped, if in fact it really does help.

Peace out!

xanderdad

Mar 26, 2010
I only had the first value in my registry:

"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\HARDWARE\Setting\TouchPanel]
"FingerThreshold"=dword:00000031"

But I did make the change and it absolutely made a huge difference, for the better.

DECIM8

Apr 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thank you for this. I just made the first tweak and things are 100% better. That eliminated my one big gripe about the new stock ROM.

zim2323

May 27, 2008
I only had the first value in my registry:

"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\HARDWARE\Setting\TouchPanel]
"FingerThreshold"=dword:00000031"

But I did make the change and it absolutely made a huge difference, for the better.

So maybe that alone is the fix. I included the other keys because they were apart of the HTC Sense settings in HD2Tweak. Those keys may be more for scrolling issues.

NickPP

Sep 20, 2007
Please put out a cab file for this mod. The lack of responsiveness is killing many here. Thanks.

zim2323

May 27, 2008
Please put out a cab file for this mod. The lack of responsiveness is killing many here. Thanks.

Well, before I did that I wanted to know exactly what was "fixing" the problem and what exactly those settings were doing or how it may interact or affect other functions of the phone. So far I have had nothin but positive response to this.

I have a little more testing to do and then I will putting out a CAB with all the fixes I apply that are related to making TouchResponse behave like I would expect it to. Expect something in the next 24 hours. In the mean time, you can always use a registry editor and apply the reg values yourself.

I'm dealing with job and a new baby so my time is short. =)