[APP] **Updated 12/27/2010** Email.apk - Gingerbread src code w/o Exchange security

Search This thread

shafty023

Jul 24, 2007
Austin,TX
I took the latest source code for Email.apk from CM7 and modified it to remove any Exchange Security policy enforcement. Benefits of doing it this way rather than using an older version of Email.apk is you get the new code updates.

Anyways enjoy and if you want to include this or redistribute please just give me credit for the modification.

Please note that this modified Email application is available for educational purposes only.

The following is a brief summary of what the modifications made to this application do:
NOTE: Security Policy is abbreviated as SP
  1. Disable requirement for a local Device Admin which disables the ability to Remote Wipe and to require a pinlock to use the device
  2. Acknowledge to the remote Exchange server that the SP's which this device supports are currently active. We do not fabricate the list of SP's that are supported. So if the current Android 2.3 src code does not support a specific SP then we do not lie and state it does. This means you could still be rejected by the remote Exchange server and not be able to sync with it. Stating what we support and actually supporting them are two different things.

If you want access to the modified source code you can grab it from HERE

Attachments

• Email.apk
    940.6 KB · Views: 29,885
Last edited:

shafty023

Jul 24, 2007
Austin,TX
give you credit as well as cyanogenmod crew and mtwebster

Well, credit for the mod not any prior changes to this application's src code from the CM fork. As always I respect all developer's contributions no matter how small.

Also since this is a mod and not enhancement I'll never push these changes to the CM git repo to be added. I think Email has not had any individual contributions and is stock android 2.2.

shafty023

Jul 24, 2007
Austin,TX
Ahhhh nice. I only checked the src out but hadn't checked history on it. I'm an SVN person and not familiar with git. Thanks man I'll hit up mtwebster as Email was an app I wanted to contribute to.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

krypticos

May 5, 2010
Morgantown
Thank you everyone that worked on this apk. I have been wanting this sense cm 6 came out. Cause back on cm rc1 it didn't have the security settings, which I loved very much. There is only one thing I keep having is it keeps asking for me to set the security up. Idk if that's suppose to happen or not but I just wanted to let everyone know that it works but every hour or so it asks for security to be setup. Again thank you all.

shafty023

Jul 24, 2007
Austin,TX
There is only one thing I keep having is it keeps asking for me to set the security up. Idk if that's suppose to happen or not but I just wanted to let everyone know that it works but every hour or so it asks for security to be setup. Again thank you all.

No it should not be asking you every hour for security. Make sure you removed the device admin (Android Settings -> Security) and removed the pin lock after you copied over the modded Email.apk. You do not need to reboot. I modded the src code to not check for security requirements on every ping to the Exchange server which is what you are experiencing. That would lead me to believe you're in a semi-modded state. Make sure you clear the notifications before you setup your Exchange account again or that notification "could" trigger the security requirement again. Remember, all this has to be done before you set up your Exchange account again.

Nemphys

Jun 10, 2007
According to the commits at the github, there should be an option to change the account color somewhere, but I don't see anything like that under account settings. Am I missing something?
Also, is it so hard to make html emails render properly? This is a must in my opinion and should be stock, but I wonder why our kind devs don't do something in that direction...

shafty023

Jul 24, 2007
Austin,TX
According to the commits at the github, there should be an option to change the account color somewhere, but I don't see anything like that under account settings. Am I missing something?
Also, is it so hard to make html emails render properly? This is a must in my opinion and should be stock, but I wonder why our kind devs don't do something in that direction...

I'll check on the account color issue. As far as html email rendering, the email app will need an html renderer rather than a text renderer.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

D

diversificationied

I don't think your exchange administrators will appreciate you running without security.

Just saying.

D

diversificationied

I am my exchange admin, and just for the most part, the mods are making the 2.2 email apk run like it has for the past two versions of android.

The past two versions of android were lacking in proper exchange support.

I'm just putting it out there as a warning for people who are using exchange for the companies they work for.

**** could hit the fan if your phone is improperly secured by using this apk.

shafty023

Jul 24, 2007
Austin,TX
I don't think your exchange administrators will appreciate you running without security.

Just saying.

This mod is for those who require Exchange support but their company is too cheap to pay for a decent corporate phone with Exchange support.

I'm a software developer for instance and my company only provides phones to people with C-level titles (CEO, CIO, CTO, etc). So I use my personal phone to connect via ActiveSync but do NOT want our Exchange environment having the ability to remote-wipe my phone.

To add more humor to the issue, those in our company who get phones are getting ones still on Android 1.6 which doesn't include proper Exchange security support so it's a null/void issue here.

cmarti

May 7, 2006
Thanks disgustip8ted ,

But the one from the link is an rar this one is a apk.

How do I install the apk one? app installer no longer works with Froyo.

disgustip8ted

Mar 2, 2010
If your exchange admins are cool with this you can install the apk with astro, or email it to your self,g mail will give you the option to install. Imo just un rar the file from mtwebster and install and keep a good back up in case the exchange admins get overzealous and wipe your phone.

bbianchi

Mar 1, 2009
Lets not overlook individual folder sync too. This is great!

Now my question... Can us special children running blur on devices like... Oh say a droid2 use this at all? I'm guessing no because of the blur mail app, but I hope I'm wrong.

rustychiles

Jun 19, 2007
Our organization recently disabled Exchange Activesync because of things like this...

I'm not trying to piss on this thread, but this is a serious problem for adoption of Android in the Enterprise.

All of our Android users hate us now. They just bought the phone that "Does" except it doesn't. ;/

I work in a industry with regulation that has certain standards for how e-mail is stored on portable devices, and when I got wind of this we had no choice but to ban android devices from synchronizing with exchange.

(and that stinks, but there's no way around it)

I know that with such a open platform this was inevitable, but by supplying this to the masses you have given a "proof of concept" to the paranoid.

This will without doubt result in businesses not adopting android in the enterprises that are regulated. (Or turning to 3rd party solutions, offhand I think of Good for Enterprise.......whom we pay dearly for closed source secure E-Mail on Android).

That said, I can't help but wonder if there is any way for an exchange administrator to detect something like this. (I doubt it) Because if so I'd make sure that the end users disregarding policy (which is regulatory driven) were fired.

Also, if this is meant for small businesses, can't the exchange admin just disable the security in the policy on the exchange side. I don't buy that this is for small companies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I took the latest source code for Email.apk from CM7 and modified it to remove any Exchange Security policy enforcement. Benefits of doing it this way rather than using an older version of Email.apk is you get the new code updates.

Anyways enjoy and if you want to include this or redistribute please just give me credit for the modification.

Please note that this modified Email application is available for educational purposes only.

The following is a brief summary of what the modifications made to this application do:
    NOTE: Security Policy is abbreviated as SP
    1. Disable requirement for a local Device Admin which disables the ability to Remote Wipe and to require a pinlock to use the device
    2. Acknowledge to the remote Exchange server that the SP's which this device supports are currently active. We do not fabricate the list of SP's that are supported. So if the current Android 2.3 src code does not support a specific SP then we do not lie and state it does. This means you could still be rejected by the remote Exchange server and not be able to sync with it. Stating what we support and actually supporting them are two different things.

If you want access to the modified source code you can grab it from HERE
    Hi Guys,

If I understood correctly the battery drain and other main issues could be caused because this Email version is old, correct ? I mean, it was compiled with 2.3.4 (correct?) and now we are at 2.3.7 and some bugs were fixed, right ?

Anyway, yesterday I download CM 7.1 source code and I changed the source code, following shafty tips (got your source code and found the SecurityPolice section, and did the same change) and compile the changed code.

Now I have the last Email version (even that in Applications list, it show as 2.3.4 but I notice some changes like, now I can choose the account color - which I cannot do with the apk in the first post but could done with the one that comes with CM 7.1, so I think it seems to be the new one) and until now it is working fine.

I tried to upload the files into the post, but it always failed, so I had uploaded both zip file to be applied with CWM and the APK itself at:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/ak92y9 [Email.zip]
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/46uyw7 [Email.apk]

Btw, what I was doing wrong when attaching files? I´m using Windowx/Chrome and it only says 'Upload failed'...

Let me know if you find any issues, but I higly recommend to you to do a backup of your Email.apk (and also your complete run unsing nandroid).

-Trystan
    And can I get a thank you for allowing my app to be given away for free for a day :)
    Being curios I compared sources you published in first post and sources I started with (fresh sources from gingerbread branch of CyanogenMod android_packages_apps_Email repository on GitHub) and unfortunately there is no difference in ProvisionParser.java and ExchangeStore.java. Difference in EasSyncService.java is only removal of dead code after SecurityPolicy.isActive(PolicySet policies) is changed to always return true.

Co please can you clarify this?

You're right. The copy I published here didn't contain all the extra bypasses I found and implemented in my paid app "Enhanced Email" :p

After I published the copy here I started working on my paid app. After lots of testing/debugging I ended up finding more bypasses required and implemented them in my paid app but never updated this copy. So while the copy here "works" to bypass most security policies it doesn't do them all.

EDIT
    FYI, I'm trying to find time to take the Android 4.0.4 source code and implement the security policy bypass there as well. When I do I'll publish the source for it and a compiled apk. This mod would only work on Android 4.0 (ICS) and would not be backwards compatible. No ETA
    OK, Done.
    Here is the zip file. This one will automatically delete Email.odex, overwrite Email.apk with the one from the first post (yes, it is included) and it will overwrite libraries which are needed to make both Camera.apk and BarcodeScanner.apk (and all other camera dependent apps) working without original stock Email.apk, so user can use AOSP Email.apk without any issues. Install from CWM.