[APP] Virtual d-pad (WVGA)

Search This thread

more_pizza

Aug 28, 2007
There are some applications on my HD2 (like GPSTest) that works with the d-pad. I've developed a small application, a virtual d-pad, optimized for WVGA resolution.

The virtual d-pad can be moved on the screen and from my tests it's doing its job: it replaces the missing d-pad.

The application is at a very beginning stage, so please have mercy :)

If it will be interest for this app, I will continue to improve it.

This is a screenshot:
vdpad.JPG

And here is the cab:
View attachment vdpad.CAB

From the screenshot you can see seven areas: five for d-pad functions (up, down, left, right and return), one for application exit (the X-like area) and the last area for moving the window over the screen (the white arrow).

Your comments and suggestions are welcomed!

Version 0.2a:
- the application stores the last position on the screen (Registry-based)
- the application handles continuous pressing on the directional buttons and send messages accordingly.

Attached is the latest version:
View attachment vdpad_v0.2.CAB

Last edited:

RizwanKhan

Apr 10, 2008
Aiur
looks promising (i think desire to have it can be improved if you make it more stylish :) in terms of graphics). I don't miss the dial pad simply because i am glad to have the xtra screen space on my Rhodium :D

aussiebum

Dec 5, 2008
Nice... does the overlay work over any app? would be handy with those games that assume you have a d-pad... option for theming would be good :)

Aqrab

Dec 22, 2006
Dubai , UAE
i really like it :)
i wounder if it work (show) in games
and i hop if u can add to it keypad :p
cause all java games that i have need it in order to play it
it will be 2 in 1
keepup the good work

Hugo381

Nov 24, 2007
I also think it would be a whole lot nicer if it was transparent. Maybe have it to where the only graphics are outlines of the buttons. As for eye candy, the rounded corners would be nicer too. I just think that it blocks too much of the screen to be used too often, so transparent settings would be the best thing for it to gain a lot of popularity.

Just my 2 cents.

Keep up the good work, I personally do wish my touch pro 2 had a D-Pad even if it were just integrated on the keyboard or something.

emwdava

Sep 22, 2008
Alingsås
Great app. Iphone stole my D-pad and you brought it back to us.

What needs improving is adding long press button repetition so that scrolling is easier.

Maybe adding a donation button to your 1st post would add some motivation for you to continue developing this much needed app.

Edit: It would be nice if Vpad remembers screenposition.

Last edited:

wahaj123

Mar 20, 2009
Thanks

This is just what I needed..very badly.

I miss the physical DPad on my previous Himalaya...Some games like NFS used the accelerator as well as touch controls, which I felt could be utilized in other apps as well.

Many thanx. Plz continue to develop/improve. I'll try it and give my inputs soon.

GeitjeG

Nov 7, 2009
Rotterdam
Thanks! I really miss the d-pad on my HD2.

-Would be great if you can add long-press functions as well
-And if it remembers last position would be nice

kuzibri

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 25, 2008
Very nice work!! I support the transparency and round edges. What also would be nice if it was a little bit smaller, now takes up a lot of screen space.
For those who want to use it, but do not need it to be constantly on the screen: map it to a hard/software key.

Last edited:

bkf1

Sep 14, 2006
Wouldn't be better to place all buttons in one line? Like this:
attachmenttn.jpg

Also it would be nice to set some transparency...

anthnhlt

Dec 3, 2008
+1 for transparency; I guess if you ever seen how the d pad is when playing games on the iphone. that would be nice.

armenh72

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Very good application. I would also suggest a possibility to have left and right arrows at the left and right borders of the screen, so that users won't be constantly looking where to hit when playing action games requiring d-pad.

bkf1

Sep 14, 2006
I think the best solution would be make layouts switchable ;) One layout for games, one for apps requiring D-Pad to control etc.

steve austin

Feb 6, 2009
GREAT Idea. I wish that HTC would have put on on the HD2. I know they are trying to drive us to buy their patented stylus, but I miss a d-pad. Please continue (and the transparent mode would be nice).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There are some applications on my HD2 (like GPSTest) that works with the d-pad. I've developed a small application, a virtual d-pad, optimized for WVGA resolution.

The virtual d-pad can be moved on the screen and from my tests it's doing its job: it replaces the missing d-pad.

The application is at a very beginning stage, so please have mercy :)

If it will be interest for this app, I will continue to improve it.

This is a screenshot:
    vdpad.JPG

And here is the cab:
    View attachment vdpad.CAB

From the screenshot you can see seven areas: five for d-pad functions (up, down, left, right and return), one for application exit (the X-like area) and the last area for moving the window over the screen (the white arrow).

Your comments and suggestions are welcomed!

Version 0.2a:
    - the application stores the last position on the screen (Registry-based)
    - the application handles continuous pressing on the directional buttons and send messages accordingly.

Attached is the latest version:
    View attachment vdpad_v0.2.CAB
    Hi. frirends. Here is a QVGA version of VDPAD 0.2

enjoy..

thank more_pizza
    Thanks for this nifty little app! I made a few skins for myself and would like to share the with everyone. These are the first one's I've made for this app so be easy on me..I'm sure future skins will only get better. I'd really like to know what you guys think of them so I can make em better and maybe even get an idea or 2 for those future skins. Enjoy..

Oh yeah..Be sure to uninstall any previous versions, then install any of these or it"ll appear as you have 2 versions installed on your device.