• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP]Water-level/spirit-level

Search This thread

fxxxxxx

Jul 9, 2008
Current version is SpiritLevel_0.9.1.zip http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=98776

Now I re-engineered the spirit level app a little bit.
It can now also show the raw X, Y and Z tilt data. Thus, you can easily see how much the g-sensor might need to be calibrated. Just check the option "Show Raw Sensor Data" from the menu.

Calibrating for this app ONLY available in SpiritLevel_SVC0.9.zip

Attachments

• SpiritLevel_SVC.zip
    8.9 KB · Views: 2,662
  • SpiritLevel_SVC0.9.zip
    8.9 KB · Views: 4,212
  • SpiritLevel_0.9.1.zip
    9.1 KB · Views: 28,900
Last edited by a moderator:

tomchap

Apr 20, 2006
www.mooedia.co.uk
Great little App, nice one! :) The trick is using it on a surface that is flat and level to get an accurate reading.

Putting it on my desk at work:

x: 1 degree
y: 7 degree

x Tilt: -19
y Tilt: 117
z Tilt: -879

This keeps changing tho, which would indicate that the surface isnt very level.

Also looking at where the indicators are, it looks slightly off, but not enough to worry me thinks.

Congrats on the useful little app. :) Cheers!

fxxxxxx

Jul 9, 2008
Well, I could add an option that (somehow) calibrates the g-sensor, but only for this app. E.g. a menu entry "Calibrate" which, then asks you to put it on a perfect spot with 0° on X and Y axis and then maybe to 90 ° on X and Y axis. Maybe it will come - depends on my time. Maybe there is also a registry entry for this for the g-sensor.

foegie

Jul 2, 2008
Well, I could add an option that (somehow) calibrates the g-sensor, but only for this app. E.g. a menu entry "Calibrate" which, then asks you to put it on a perfect spot with 0° on X and Y axis and then maybe to 90 ° on X and Y axis. Maybe it will come - depends on my time. Maybe there is also a registry entry for this for the g-sensor.

this would be a great option. Currently the app displays x tilt: 270 when my phone is laying down on my desk. and it would be great if i could calibrate it from this position so that X an Y are back to 0

fxxxxxx

Jul 9, 2008
Ok, there is a new version in post #1. With that version you can calibrate the g-sensor, but ONLY for the spirit-level/water-level application. Currently it has no other effect. I am not sure if there is a way to "calibrate" the g-sensor globally.

Last edited:

TML1504

Nov 24, 2007
Vienna
On the table in my office I get:

X: 3-4°
Y: 355-357°
X Tilt: -59
Y Tilt: -59
Z Tilt: 820

But the values are not steady, even if I do not move the device the numbers
are changing about twice a second.

Do others have the same behavior?

fxxxxxx

Jul 9, 2008
Yes, it is the same behavior here.
X: 2-3°
Y: 357-359°
X Tilt: ~ -39
Y Tilt: ~ -19
Z Tilt: ~ -938

Keep in mind, that 358 ° is only 2° from 0 ° away.

R. DevilR

Apr 15, 2008
Belfort
X: 0
Y: 2
X Tilt: 0 (+/- 5)
Y Tilt: 37 (+/-2)
Z Tilt: -770 (+/-15)

Not so bad ^_^

And, as Diamond back cover isn't really flat, I tried watch results when the face of the Diamond was on my desk... hum... not transparent huhu. So I launched Resco Screen Capture (comes with Resco Photo Viewer) and take the screen after 10sec (I made 5 test)

Results :
X: 180 (only 1 time with 179)
Y: 179 (1° better :D)... and one time : 180°
X Tilt:0 (each time)
Y Tilt : ~8 (different values : 18, 18, 8, 8, 3)
Z Value : ~1200 (different values : 1206, 1206, 1201, 1190, 1172)

dejant_9

Nov 4, 2006
besancon
yess! very good, now it's a real tool for my job. But i've question : the calibrating function is very important for the diamonds missaligned. But can you add an option for saving data after calibrating? it isn't possible to calibrate in any situation and it can be fun to have a single calibration a the first start of spirit-level... thanks by advance and sorry for my bad english :D