[APP] WebSharing 2.0: view/transfer files/media via browser/WiFi

Search This thread

tliebeck

Sep 15, 2010
Southern California
WebSharing is an app that lets you view/transfer files and media between your Android device and a computer using a Web browser over a Wi-Fi network. The 1.x version line has been out for an age (since '09), this thread is about 2.0 and future development.

The 2.0 beta is currently available, I'd greatly appreciate any help testing it. See next post for info on obtaining it via Google Play Store beta channel and/or direct download.

The most significant improvements in 2.0 (vs 1.x) are:
  • Drag-and-drop file/folder uploading (included in the free version, without any limitations).
  • Holo UI in the Android app, and in the web browser.
  • Flash is no longer required for advanced features (they're all implemented in HTML5 with Flash fallback).
  • Still no ads.

To start using WebSharing, make sure you're connected to Wi-Fi, then open the app and tap the "Start" button. You'll see a screen like the one below:

App.png

Follow the directions on the screen, pointing your computer's Web browser at the address shown. You'll then see a WebSharing welcome screen that looks like this:

Welcome.png

Enter the random generated password and click "Continue". (You can set a permanent custom password in the settings, if you prefer.)

Once you're logged in, you can browse around the filesystem. Double-click to open or download items. Single click to select them. Ctrl+Click to select multiple items. Use the pulldown menu in the upper left corner perform file operations, or just right-click on files.

Files_List.png

WebSharing 2 has an all-new HTML5-based file upload system:

• Files can be uploaded by dragging them into the browser window.
  • You can drag multiple files in at once.
  • If you use Google Chrome, you can upload entire folder hierarchies by dragging them into the browser.
  • You can drag in more files while files are uploading, they'll be added to the queue.
  • You can navigate to other folders while files are uploading, and then drag files into those locations. They'll be added to the queue as well.
  • You can also use the "File" menu to upload files if you'd prefer not to use drag-and-drop.
  • Older browsers can still use legacy file upload controls.
  • You can click anywhere in the upload progress area to see a detailed view of upload progress.
  • In 2.0, the multiple file upload system is now a free feature (in 1.x, only the paid version allowed multiple file upload via a Flash-based control).
  • All of this is provided in the free version, without any limitations.

When files are dragged in (or uploaded using the File menu), the progress bar will appear at the bottom of the screen:

Files_Upload.png

All the features shown up to this point are completely free. Like FX File Explorer and WebSharing 1.x, the paid version of WebSharing adds media support, i.e., direct access to music, photos, and videos.

In the full version, you can click the music tab to browse/play music. Double-click on a track to start streaming music from the phone to the web browser. You can listen to streamed music while performing other tasks.

Music_Tracks.png

You can browse music by track, artist, album, or playlist. The screenshot below shows the by-album view. Music can be directly uploaded by dragging files into the music view. Files uploaded here will be placed in a folder that you configure in the app's settings (the default is the "Music" folder on your device's primary storage/SD Card).

Music_Albums_Upload.png

Clicking the photos tab allows you to browse all images stored on the device. The new "Thumbnail Size" slider can be used to zoom in/out.

Photos_Small.png

WebSharing uses my usual free/paid model:

* Free version is free, paid version is cheaper than dirt.
* No ads in either version.
* Free version is not a watered down trial with a bunch of limitations. It's very usable and many users will only need it.
* The paid version adds more stuff.
* Neither version phones home, collects personal information, or does any other "doubleplusungood" things.

tliebeck

Sep 15, 2010
Southern California
Getting WebSharing 2.0 BETA

2.0 beta can be downloaded by joining this Google+ community:
https://plus.google.com/communities/117280636679203185116

Then visit one of the following links to "opt-in" to the beta program:

For WebSharing Lite (the free version):
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/nextapp.websharing

For WebSharing (the paid version):
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/nextapp.websharing.r1

Once you've opted in, visit the Play Store and install it, you'll get 2.0 beta.

DIRECT DOWNLOAD: Alternatively you can download the Lite version APK directly here: http://android.nextapp.com/websharing/r2014/WebSharingLite_r2014.apk

Last edited:

bruce7373

Apr 28, 2012
Los Angeles
Tod, I installed the Lite version which works fine with my phone (N4). But I can't get a Wi-Fi connection with my tablet (N10). Restarted my router, toggled Wi-Fi, but still unable. Diagnostics shows it's unable to ping, yet it's able to make an internet connection. Both devices are running 4.3 AOKP. What should I check?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Reactions: tliebeck

tliebeck

Sep 15, 2010
Southern California
Tod, I installed the Lite version which works fine with my phone (N4). But I can't get a Wi-Fi connection with my tablet (N10). Restarted my router, toggled Wi-Fi, but still unable. Diagnostics shows it's unable to ping, yet it's able to make an internet connection. Both devices are running 4.3 AOKP. What should I check?

Thanks for reporting this!

In the diagnostics, does it show a "wlan0" item (or similar) with a valid IP address?

And WiFi is the only means this thing could get to the internet, correct?

bruce7373

Apr 28, 2012
Los Angeles
Thanks for reporting this!

In the diagnostics, does it show a "wlan0" item (or similar) with a valid IP address?

And WiFi is the only means this thing could get to the internet, correct?

Yes, IP is valid. Right, the N10 is Wi-Fi only. I did try using my N4 as a hotspot and got the same results, so I guess that takes my router out of the equation. Here are a couple of screenshots of the diagnostics window:

e6edu4u7.jpg

urujehes.jpg

Last edited:

tliebeck

Sep 15, 2010
Southern California
Yes, IP is valid. Right, the N10 is Wi-Fi only. I did try using my N4 as a hotspot and got the same results, so I guess that takes my router out of the equation. Here are a couple of screenshots of the diagnostics window:

One more question that I forgot to ask...is it accessible if you just enter the address anyway, or is it just the diagnostics that are failing?

I have seen a lot of issues with the ping command on custom ROMs on the N10. I forget if you were one of the reporters of this, but with FX, the feature where it checks if network hosts are available was causing N10s with certain ROMs to spontaneously reboot. The exact same code ping library is being used in FX and WebSharing (which in turn just calls /system/bin/ping).

bruce7373

Apr 28, 2012
Los Angeles
One more question that I forgot to ask...is it accessible if you just enter the address anyway, or is it just the diagnostics that are failing?

I have seen a lot of issues with the ping command on custom ROMs on the N10. I forget if you were one of the reporters of this, but with FX, the feature where it checks if network hosts are available was causing N10s with certain ROMs to spontaneously reboot. The exact same code ping library is being used in FX and WebSharing (which in turn just calls /system/bin/ping).

Aha, it is accessible on my PC (but I don't have the password to enter).

Yes, I remember that ping issue with FX (even remember which ROM it was). But both my N4 and N10 are currently on the same ROM (4.3 AOKP official). Are different libraries used anyway? If you like, I could try another ROM and see if that makes a difference.

Edit: Curiously got the best of me, :D. I flashed a different ROM (Purity 4.3, which is JWR based, as opposed to AOKP which is JSL), and, sure enough, no problem with ping. So I guess it is specific to certain manta ROMs. Is it possible to have similar settings as in FX to disable the ping command, or is that essential to the app's function?

Last edited:

tliebeck

Sep 15, 2010
Southern California
Aha, it is accessible on my PC (but I don't have the password to enter).

Yes, I remember that ping issue with FX (even remember which ROM it was). But both my N4 and N10 are currently on the same ROM (4.3 AOKP official). Are different libraries used anyway? If you like, I could try another ROM and see if that makes a difference.

The ping bug I've seen was pretty specific to the Nexus 10 (but might have seen one other device do it too). I still find the general ping problem the oddest bugs I've seen. I have at least three reports of it from N10 users on three different ROMs.. I want to say AOKP, CM10.1, and maybe Paranoid Android as well. I think some have fixed it, but I have no idea what the underlying problem was.

You can disable the connectivity monitor altogether, go into Settings->Network Settings and then uncheck "Connectivity Monitor". That might completely fix this problem.

I think I'm going to disable this feature by default in the next version. It was initially implemented to work around issues with certain devices that would shut WiFi off or otherwise put it into a lower power mode that would often cause it to drop connectivity. Devices would enter this mode when the screen was turned off. The Nexus One was particularly offensive in this case. There's now a far better workaround in WebSharing (and FX) for this issue, i.e., using a "high performance" WiFi lock. This API flag to use the "high performance" lock was documented in Android 2.3 or 3.0, but was undocumented in 2.1, 2.2., and possibly 2.3 (though it's existed since 2.1 I believe). On these devices, a "normal" WiFi Lock wasn't adequate, so WebSharing would alert the user if it saw connectivity drop out, and more importantly, briefly turn the screen on and off. The connectivity monitor itself was left in as it still can be a useful feature.

Last edited:

bruce7373

Apr 28, 2012
Los Angeles
The ping bug I've seen was pretty specific to the Nexus 10 (but might have seen one other device do it too). I still find the general ping problem the oddest bugs I've seen. I have at least three reports of it from N10 users on three different ROMs.. I want to say AOKP, CM10.1, and maybe Paranoid Android as well. I think some have fixed it, but I have no idea what the underlying problem was.

You can disable the connectivity monitor altogether, go into Settings->Network Settings and then uncheck "Connectivity Monitor". That might completely fix this problem.

I think I'm going to disable this feature by default in the next version. It was initially implemented to work around issues with certain devices that would shut WiFi off or otherwise put it into a lower power mode that would often cause it to drop connectivity. Devices would enter this mode when the screen was turned off. The Nexus One was particularly offensive in this case. There's now a far better workaround in WebSharing (and FX) for this issue, i.e., using a "high performance" WiFi lock. This API flag to use the "high performance" lock was documented in Android 2.3 or 3.0, but was undocumented in 2.1, 2.2., and possibly 2.3 (though it's existed since 2.1 I believe). On these devices, a "normal" WiFi Lock wasn't adequate, so WebSharing would alert the user if it saw connectivity drop out, and more importantly, briefly turn the screen on and off. The connectivity monitor itself was left in as it still can be a useful feature.

It was Mr. Robinson's Buttered AOKP 4.2.2 that had the problem. This is how you explained it:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=40751452

I passed along the info to them and it was fixed in a subsequent release, but re-emerged later, so I stopped using that ROM. I've seen it once in 4.3, but I forget which ROM.

Disabling connectivity monitor in Settings does fix things. The curious thing, though, is that it is enabled in FX and there are no problems. Aren't both apps using the same mechanism to ping?

tliebeck

Sep 15, 2010
Southern California
It was Mr. Robinson's Buttered AOKP 4.2.2 that had the problem. This is how you explained it:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=40751452

I passed along the info to them and it was fixed in a subsequent release, but re-emerged later, so I stopped using that ROM. I've seen it once in 4.3, but I forget which ROM.

Disabling connectivity monitor in Settings does fix things. The curious thing, though, is that it is enabled in FX and there are no problems. Aren't both apps using the same mechanism to ping?

Ping command does appear to be the same between FX and WebSharing. It could also be that everything's working fine and the router just isn't set up to respond to pings.

Reactions: bruce7373

ezio84

Oct 18, 2009
Giovinazzo (Bari)
What is the advantage over Airdroid?
They are similar, both good.
This one is simple, doesn't require account, has webdav support (so you can add the phone as a web folder in Windows).
I usually use ES to share files between PC and phone, but a desktop browser interface with integrated viewer/player is a good alternative.

Last edited:

jbardi

Sep 27, 2007
They are similar, both good.
This one is simple, doesn't require account, has webdev support (so you can add the phone as a web folder in Windows).
I usually use ES to share files between PC and phone, but a desktop browser interface with integrated viewer/player is a good alternative.

This is the second time you said "webdev", when what I think you mean is "webdav". Maybe you have some auto correct on, but if not I just thought it would help those that may not know what it is.

Reactions: ezio84

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WebSharing is an app that lets you view/transfer files and media between your Android device and a computer using a Web browser over a Wi-Fi network. The 1.x version line has been out for an age (since '09), this thread is about 2.0 and future development.

The 2.0 beta is currently available, I'd greatly appreciate any help testing it. See next post for info on obtaining it via Google Play Store beta channel and/or direct download.

The most significant improvements in 2.0 (vs 1.x) are:
    • Drag-and-drop file/folder uploading (included in the free version, without any limitations).
    • Holo UI in the Android app, and in the web browser.
    • Flash is no longer required for advanced features (they're all implemented in HTML5 with Flash fallback).
    • Still no ads.

To start using WebSharing, make sure you're connected to Wi-Fi, then open the app and tap the "Start" button. You'll see a screen like the one below:

App.png

Follow the directions on the screen, pointing your computer's Web browser at the address shown. You'll then see a WebSharing welcome screen that looks like this:

Welcome.png

Enter the random generated password and click "Continue". (You can set a permanent custom password in the settings, if you prefer.)

Once you're logged in, you can browse around the filesystem. Double-click to open or download items. Single click to select them. Ctrl+Click to select multiple items. Use the pulldown menu in the upper left corner perform file operations, or just right-click on files.

Files_List.png

WebSharing 2 has an all-new HTML5-based file upload system:

• Files can be uploaded by dragging them into the browser window.
    • You can drag multiple files in at once.
    • If you use Google Chrome, you can upload entire folder hierarchies by dragging them into the browser.
    • You can drag in more files while files are uploading, they'll be added to the queue.
    • You can navigate to other folders while files are uploading, and then drag files into those locations. They'll be added to the queue as well.
    • You can also use the "File" menu to upload files if you'd prefer not to use drag-and-drop.
    • Older browsers can still use legacy file upload controls.
    • You can click anywhere in the upload progress area to see a detailed view of upload progress.
    • In 2.0, the multiple file upload system is now a free feature (in 1.x, only the paid version allowed multiple file upload via a Flash-based control).
    • All of this is provided in the free version, without any limitations.

When files are dragged in (or uploaded using the File menu), the progress bar will appear at the bottom of the screen:

Files_Upload.png

All the features shown up to this point are completely free. Like FX File Explorer and WebSharing 1.x, the paid version of WebSharing adds media support, i.e., direct access to music, photos, and videos.

In the full version, you can click the music tab to browse/play music. Double-click on a track to start streaming music from the phone to the web browser. You can listen to streamed music while performing other tasks.

Music_Tracks.png

You can browse music by track, artist, album, or playlist. The screenshot below shows the by-album view. Music can be directly uploaded by dragging files into the music view. Files uploaded here will be placed in a folder that you configure in the app's settings (the default is the "Music" folder on your device's primary storage/SD Card).

Music_Albums_Upload.png

Clicking the photos tab allows you to browse all images stored on the device. The new "Thumbnail Size" slider can be used to zoom in/out.

Photos_Small.png

WebSharing uses my usual free/paid model:

* Free version is free, paid version is cheaper than dirt.
    * No ads in either version.
    * Free version is not a watered down trial with a bunch of limitations. It's very usable and many users will only need it.
    * The paid version adds more stuff.
    * Neither version phones home, collects personal information, or does any other "doubleplusungood" things.
    Getting WebSharing 2.0 BETA

2.0 beta can be downloaded by joining this Google+ community:
    https://plus.google.com/communities/117280636679203185116

Then visit one of the following links to "opt-in" to the beta program:

For WebSharing Lite (the free version):
    https://play.google.com/apps/testing/nextapp.websharing

For WebSharing (the paid version):
    https://play.google.com/apps/testing/nextapp.websharing.r1

Once you've opted in, visit the Play Store and install it, you'll get 2.0 beta.

DIRECT DOWNLOAD: Alternatively you can download the Lite version APK directly here: http://android.nextapp.com/websharing/r2014/WebSharingLite_r2014.apk
    New Beta version is now available, 2.0.0.12.

A new BETA release, 2.0.0.12 is now available. I've dropped the "b" designation from the release as these are release candidates and one will eventually be pushed to the production channel. There are quite a number of additional features I'd like to see in 2.0, but will be adding them in the 2.x line rather than forcing 2.0 to wait them.

Changes in this release:
    • Automatic start and automatic stop. Both of these features are on by default but can be disabled. Auto stop should not occur when uploads/downloads are processing, or when videos/music are playing.
    • Fixed bug in album listing where incorrect album would be opened after upload.
    • Fixed Android UI layout issues and enlarged password text.

Sorry for the long delay on this version, have been distributing time between FX, SystemPanel, and WebSharing.
    2.0.1 is now available from the Play Store.

This fixes issues with both Chrome 32 and IE 11 (corrected annoying "you have IE6" warning). Thanks again all for the reports!

Much better than wifidroid in my opinion. :good: