[APP][WIDGET][2.2+] Recast - customize your weather and widgets

Search This thread

mstroud

Jan 3, 2012
Sunnyvale
*Updated 11/22/2012*
Recast is a completely personalized weather and widgets application.

mini-ad-forums.png

If you have ever wanted complete control over the look, layout and size of your weather and system widgets, your search is over. Recast lets you customize nearly everything about the look and feel of weather and widgets:
  • One app works on phones, tablets and TVs!
  • Choose from multiple, different weather icon sets
  • Add as many locations for weather as you want
  • Customize the data formats and weather providers
  • Pick from a series of pre-defined color themes
  • Select different fonts and typefaces
  • Choose one of the multiple utility widget icon sets
  • Switch between many different color and themed backgrounds
  • Resize widgets to any size on Android 3.x and 4.x

Recast Paid version: download from Google Play Store (v. 1.0.9, 11/20/2012)
Recast Paid version: download from Amazon Appstore (v. 1.0.9, 11/22/2012)
Recast Free version: download from Recast website (v. 1.0.9, 11/20/2012)

Please note: all Recast versions prior to 1.0.7 must be uninstalled prior to installation and are no longer supported.

Release notes: can be found here

Contact us to help translate Recast into your language by visiting the Recast web site

Here are the requirements to try Recast today:
  • Supported Devices: nearly any Android phone, tablet or Google TV
  • Supported OS Versions: Android 2.2, 2.3, 3.x, 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2
  • Supported Countries: everywhere on Earth, English only for launch
  • Localized for: English, French, Italian
  • Requires WiFi, 2G, 3G, 4G or Ethernet connectivity for access to the Internet to get weather data
  • Requires Google Maps and Google Location Services to determine your location, time zone, sunrise and sunset times

PLEASE NOTE: The Recast Free versions expire on February 1, 2013. This is to make sure everyone stays on the latest versions of the app.

Full details can be found the launch site for Recast. Please leave any comments about the app in this thread or on the launch site and we'll do our best to address them as quickly as we can. Thank you in advance for all your help.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2011
When I try to download, it downloads a .php file, where can I get the .apk

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Tried it with both default browser and with chrome beta. Both download a file named download.php when I click on it, it just says can not open file.

Last edited:

mstroud

Jan 3, 2012
Sunnyvale
I think that something may be happening with your web browser. Try to grab it directly from the product web site page here:

Recast help page (with download link)

Let me know if you have any troubles getting it from there, although it is the same exact download link from that page.

Reactions: 21productionz

mstroud

Jan 3, 2012
Sunnyvale
That's very odd behavior, since the original download worked out just fine in our testing. Let us know if this is a problem for anyone else and we can look at alternative means of hosting the Recast APK.

mstroud

Jan 3, 2012
Sunnyvale
Thank you. Give it a whirl, try out all the different widgets, themes, locations, etc and let us know how it goes.

We really do appreciate the feedback as that is what will help us build Recast into a weather + widget app that more folks will want to use.

mstroud

Jan 3, 2012
Sunnyvale
I went ahead and made an alternative download link for those folks having problems with the first link. The first post is edited to show both options for downloading the beta apk now.

Hopefully that helps some of you who were having problems.

amit_sen

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Mar 27, 2011
New Delhi
Hi,

Its an exceellent app bro.
Lots of customization options.

Sent from my SmartQT15 using Tapatalk 2

mstroud

Jan 3, 2012
Sunnyvale
Actually, Celsius temperature settings are in there. Here's where to look:

1. Start Recast
  2. Tap the gear icon (known as Settings)
  3. Tap the Locations menu
  4. Tap the name of the location you want to change temperature settings
  5. Tap on the list item called Temperature Units and select Celsius
  6. Tap the checkmark or OK button
  7. Hit the device Back button
That's it, all done! You can also find KPH and millibar settings under Weather Data Units, change to 24 hour times, rename a location, set the time zone offset and more all in this same area.

Does that help solve your question?

swiftinmotion

Jul 25, 2010
San jose
I'm very picky with my weather / click widgets. This is very nice great work. Subscribed!

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

jonas2295

Jan 4, 2010
Bavaria
Oh wow that's great :)

Although the C° is hard to find everything else is great and highly customizable.
Widgets are supreme but could add bigger ones if possible?

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

euqiddis

Sep 11, 2010
London
I like it, though a couple of things i would like:
  • a forecast widget that is sized at 4x1
  • refreshing the weather directly from the widget / manual refresh from the widget, e.g. having a small icon that refreshes the widget rather then opening the application and clicking refresh.
  • ICS themes

but so far so good. :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *Updated 11/22/2012*
    Recast is a completely personalized weather and widgets application.

mini-ad-forums.png

If you have ever wanted complete control over the look, layout and size of your weather and system widgets, your search is over. Recast lets you customize nearly everything about the look and feel of weather and widgets:
    • One app works on phones, tablets and TVs!
    • Choose from multiple, different weather icon sets
    • Add as many locations for weather as you want
    • Customize the data formats and weather providers
    • Pick from a series of pre-defined color themes
    • Select different fonts and typefaces
    • Choose one of the multiple utility widget icon sets
    • Switch between many different color and themed backgrounds
    • Resize widgets to any size on Android 3.x and 4.x

Recast Paid version: download from Google Play Store (v. 1.0.9, 11/20/2012)
    Recast Paid version: download from Amazon Appstore (v. 1.0.9, 11/22/2012)
    Recast Free version: download from Recast website (v. 1.0.9, 11/20/2012)

Please note: all Recast versions prior to 1.0.7 must be uninstalled prior to installation and are no longer supported.

Release notes: can be found here

Contact us to help translate Recast into your language by visiting the Recast web site

Here are the requirements to try Recast today:
    • Supported Devices: nearly any Android phone, tablet or Google TV
    • Supported OS Versions: Android 2.2, 2.3, 3.x, 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2
    • Supported Countries: everywhere on Earth, English only for launch
    • Localized for: English, French, Italian
    • Requires WiFi, 2G, 3G, 4G or Ethernet connectivity for access to the Internet to get weather data
    • Requires Google Maps and Google Location Services to determine your location, time zone, sunrise and sunset times

PLEASE NOTE: The Recast Free versions expire on February 1, 2013. This is to make sure everyone stays on the latest versions of the app.

Full details can be found the launch site for Recast. Please leave any comments about the app in this thread or on the launch site and we'll do our best to address them as quickly as we can. Thank you in advance for all your help.
    Just a quick update on Beta 5. We were really hoping to get a build out by the end of this week but we ran into a few issues that we really needed to fix. I'm sure this is a bit of a bummer for those of you patiently awaiting a new build....

However, since we are taking a little more time on this last beta release we feel that we can put some infrastructure in place to make getting new widgets, themes and more easier in the release version. Hopefully soon you'll be able to see this hard work for yourselves.

So hang in there, we are not too far off from the next beta... really!
    There were several items and issues that we are targeting for beta 4 that will improve how Recast works and make things simpler to do. Rather than tell you all about the changes at this point, I'll leave you with a few quick screens to show you what we're up to.

celsius_all_locs.png

Change a setting in General/Global, apply it to every location

weather_freq.png

Options to only manually update weather and current location

roboto_thin_widget.png

Fixed 24 hour times and add in the ICS thin clock typeface
    Here's a quick update from Recast HQ:

We've been quietly working away on the final release, squashing bugs, fixing issues and generally trying to make sure Recast is as stable and reliable as it can be. Along the way we've made some performance improvements and tried to incorporate some of the recent suggestions into the product. It is starting to feel like we're getting close to done... for a 1.0 version, anyway.

One thing that I am glad to announce is that we FINALLY got our hands on a Galaxy Note and have corrected the 5x2 widget issues that some of you have reported. I think it's fair to say that the Note is certainly not a normal device by any means, as it masquerades as a tablet when polled by Recast, but actually has phone layouts. We're happy to finally be fixed on that device.

I will post here once we get a bit closer to the final bits being released, and you can expect to see a release Recast in the store along with either a final 1.0.0 beta posted here or the first of the 1.0.x betas.

Thanks for your continued use and feedback with Recast!
    We've just posted a new video to help show off one of the unsung or unknown features in Recast: adding your own locations for weather. It also gives another peek into what is coming in Beta 5. Take a look and tell us what you think.