[App][Widget][4.1+] LaunchBoard: best app drawer replacement

Which mode do you use the most for launching apps using LaunchBoard?

• The launcher icon

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • The homescreen widget

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • I use both

Votes: 15 41.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread

devthrob

Oct 16, 2017
LaunchBoard for android is your perfect app drawer replacement. Launching apps has never been this easy.

Play store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appthrob.android.launchboard

What do app drawers do? Show you all the apps all at once, how dumb?
Meet LaunchBoard, and say goodbye to searching through long list of apps & cluttered folders

Let's admit it: 90% of the time, you exactly know the name of the app that you want to launch. With LaunchBoard, you use this knowledge to avoid seeing unnecessary apps in the process of launching apps

It's all in the first letter of the app. To open 'w'hatsapp, you quickly press 'w' & you're presented with just the apps that start with 'w'

Long press apps and mark them as favorites to make accessing those apps even easier.

There are 2 ways to use LaunchBoard:
  1. Launcher icon
  2. Homescreen widget

Pin the Launcher icon to the bottom tray of your homescreen. Clicking on it will open Favorites by default. So, if you have marked all your frequent apps as Favorites, they are just a click away. If the app you want is not in your Favorites list, click on the 1st letter of the app in the keyboard to quickly get to the app

Adding the LaunchBoard Widget to your home screen is the best thing you can do to launch apps. YOU CAN THEN GET TO ANY APP WITH JUST A SINGLE TOUCH. Try it, you'll fall in love with it.

Use the Theme Engine (Settings -> Appearance -> Theme Engine) to tweak the look & feel of the app. Using Custom themes, you can create & apply any number of themes. Intermediate and advanced level of theming allows you to tweak the colors of every aspect of the app.

Hope you enjoy this app. Have suggestions? Let us know in the comments

Follow us at Facebook

XDA:DevDB Information
LaunchBoard, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
devthrob

Version Information

Created 2017-10-16
Last Updated 2019-06-14

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 697
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 697
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 674
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 668
Last edited:

devthrob

Oct 16, 2017
How LaunchBoard is better?

most launcher have a search bar. And also this concept is still less inovative then ZLauncher.

Thanks for providing me a chance to explain how LaunchBoard can be better than the other alternatives, I'll try my best

To launch apps using search bar in other launchers, you would need to:
- click the search bar or swipe down
- Type in letters until the app you want shows up
- In most of the cases, the results will be shown on top of the screen (as in Google Now launcher). So you have to stretch your fingers to get to the app

LaunchBoard on the other hand was built to get work done with as less clicks as possible (perfectly suits those who like to type a lot less)
If you want to open 'Whatsapp', you just press 'w' and it's readily available to you for launching.

Here's the most important part:

To tap the fullest potential of LaunchBoard, you need to do 2 things:
1. Add the LaunchBoard widget to your homescreen, so that any app is then JUST ONE CLICK AWAY
attachment.php

2. From LaunchBoard, long press on the apps that you frequently use, and select 'Add to favorites'. e.g. If you add 'Whatsapp' to your favorites list, it will be shown on top whenever you press 'w'. This way, you don't even have to skim through the list of apps to open your favorites.
attachment.php

Of course, Z Launcher provides a creative cum innovative way to reach apps by drawing letters on the screen. But it's just more fancy than practical. You would feel great for the first few days, but later on, swaying your hands to draw letters would begin to feel taxing when the craze dissolves.

Try the LaunchBoard homescreen widget to launch apps for 2 days and you're sure to get addicted to it a lot, as it's simple, and just that.
The best part is that you're not locked down to a specific launcher(as in the case of Z launcher). You can add the LaunchBoard widget and icon to any launcher.
Just choose a launcher that you like the most, or keep switching between different launchers when bored, but add LaunchBoard to every one of them and have a consistent Launching experience

Thank you!

Attachments

• widget_resized.jpg
    widget_resized.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 1,872
  • fav_resized.jpg
    fav_resized.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,894
Last edited:

edisso10018

Sep 11, 2010
Bonn
Actually a good idea! There are launcher which do this but adding a widget on my homescreen is actually IMHO preferable.

There are two things which could be better: The icons for the favorites are to large and waste unnecessary space. Maybe you can make them scalable.

And second support for icon packs would be great. When use my launcher with a super duper icon pack and then look at the ugly system default icons in your widget...

devthrob

Oct 16, 2017
Thank you

Actually a good idea! There are launcher which do this but adding a widget on my homescreen is actually IMHO preferable.

There are two things which could be better: The icons for the favorites are to large and waste unnecessary space. Maybe you can make them scalable.

And second support for icon packs would be great. When use my launcher with a super duper icon pack and then look at the ugly system default icons in your widget...

Thanks for your feedback, it really matters.
It gives immense pleasure that you liked the app.

We'll move your feature requests to high priority ones on the pipeline

Thank you.

Reactions: Mr_Cyrus

prvnmit

Mar 11, 2016
Battery friendly

The best thing that I like about this app, apart from being able to launch apps quickly is that, it is extremely battery friendly. No battery drain due to background jobs, and nothing. Just pure value as it works flawlessly.

ken2802

Aug 29, 2010

Thanks for the in depth answer. But wouldnt the gesture like writing faster then having to put up an keyboard and presseing a key?

devthrob

Oct 16, 2017
Quickest way to launch apps using LaunchBoard

Thanks for the in depth answer. But wouldnt the gesture like writing faster then having to put up an keyboard and presseing a key?

LaunchBoard was built with the main intention of reducing the number of clicks needed to get to the app you want to launch.

If opening the keyboard using the app icon and then pressing a key seems a lengthy process for you, that's the exact reason why we provide the LaunchBoard homescreen widget along with the app.

attachment.php

As you can see, the widget houses all the keys, and with a quick press of a key from your homesceen, you can get to your app.

Using LaunchBoard from the application icon has its own advantages too. It can be readily accessed from any home screen window, if pinned to the bottom tray.
attachment.php

Also, it shows the favorite apps when opened. So, if you have marked all your frequently used apps as Favorites, they can be readily accessed by just a single click using the LaunchBoard shortcut icon

Thank you!

Attachments

• widget_snap.jpg
    widget_snap.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 919
  • launcher_icon.png
    launcher_icon.png
    136 KB · Views: 919

devthrob

Oct 16, 2017
The best thing that I like about this app, apart from being able to launch apps quickly is that, it is extremely battery friendly. No battery drain due to background jobs, and nothing. Just pure value as it works flawlessly.

Thanks for the feedback.
Battery consumption was a very high priority for us, so we built LaunchBoard and made it do just what was necessary to function the best.

If you have any suggestions, please share it, we will strive hard to make the app even better for you.

Thanks.

dafervs

Jan 20, 2013
México
@devthrob It's an incredible tool, in miui we don't have application drawer, to find an application becomes a problem, Launchboard is not a replacement for the launcher, it's a great complement to the launcher of miui, it doesn't break with the design and is very practical.
Two suggestions,
1. Customize the size of icons and labels in the results.
2. Exclude/hide applications from results
Thanks for the great job.

devthrob

Oct 16, 2017
Add an option to change layout to qwerty. Please. :fingers-crossed:
Thanks for the suggestion, @z1_nile

We initially didn't opt for QWERTY layout, as it isn't a traditional keyboard where u type in words. U always press just one key, and the app that you want shows up. For this, the alphabetical order seemed to fit more naturally, as not everyone is very familiar with QWERTY, especially old aged ones.

That said, we'll add an option for QWERTY layout in a near future update if you still insist, as your comfort is what matters the most, and we have the duty to make sure that every single user should be in their comfort zone when using the app.

Hope you enjoy the other aspects of the app until then.

We would really appreciate a Play Store review, if you enjoy using the app.

Thanks again!

cdig

Aug 11, 2016
Great app. QWERTY option would be nice as well, I agree.

i'm finding it quite useful with swipe up gesture to open this app in nova.

I feel like for the widget, you should hide the keyboard part of the app. selecting from a keyboard widget to open another keyboard is a bit strange!

An option to resize the icons + icon pack support, are about the only feedback I have to add. Solid effort!

z1_nile

Aug 29, 2015
Jalgaon

We initially didn't opt for QWERTY layout, as it isn't a traditional keyboard where u type in words. U always press just one key, and the app that you want shows up. For this, the alphabetical order seemed to fit more naturally, as not everyone is very familiar with QWERTY, especially old aged ones.

That said, we'll add an option for QWERTY layout in a near future update if you still insist, as your comfort is what matters the most, and we have the duty to make sure that every single user should be in their comfort zone when using the app.

Thanks again!
I did gave a play store review. With the same request though. Rated 5 stars. It's actually quite odd to use 2 layouts of keyboards so I requested for qwerty. The alphabetical is nice but it kinda confuses regular qwerty users.
Hope to see an update soon. :good:

devthrob

Oct 16, 2017
QWERTY is available now

Love the app, but I agree, a QWERTY option would be nice. I find myself having to think where the letters are.
You don't have to think much now, just launch apps effortlessly. :)
We are happy to convey you that we have added support for QWERTY upon popular user demand. Go to Play Store and update LaunchBoard to enjoy the new experience. :)
Don't forget to leave a Play store review about your experience, if you haven't yet.

Thank you.

Reactions: jclu52

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LaunchBoard for android is your perfect app drawer replacement. Launching apps has never been this easy.

Play store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appthrob.android.launchboard

What do app drawers do? Show you all the apps all at once, how dumb?
    Meet LaunchBoard, and say goodbye to searching through long list of apps & cluttered folders

Let's admit it: 90% of the time, you exactly know the name of the app that you want to launch. With LaunchBoard, you use this knowledge to avoid seeing unnecessary apps in the process of launching apps

It's all in the first letter of the app. To open 'w'hatsapp, you quickly press 'w' & you're presented with just the apps that start with 'w'

Long press apps and mark them as favorites to make accessing those apps even easier.

There are 2 ways to use LaunchBoard:
    1. Launcher icon
    2. Homescreen widget

Pin the Launcher icon to the bottom tray of your homescreen. Clicking on it will open Favorites by default. So, if you have marked all your frequent apps as Favorites, they are just a click away. If the app you want is not in your Favorites list, click on the 1st letter of the app in the keyboard to quickly get to the app

Adding the LaunchBoard Widget to your home screen is the best thing you can do to launch apps. YOU CAN THEN GET TO ANY APP WITH JUST A SINGLE TOUCH. Try it, you'll fall in love with it.

Use the Theme Engine (Settings -> Appearance -> Theme Engine) to tweak the look & feel of the app. Using Custom themes, you can create & apply any number of themes. Intermediate and advanced level of theming allows you to tweak the colors of every aspect of the app.

Hope you enjoy this app. Have suggestions? Let us know in the comments

Follow us at Facebook

XDA:DevDB Information
    LaunchBoard, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    devthrob

Version Information

Created 2017-10-16
    Last Updated 2019-06-14
    How LaunchBoard is better?

most launcher have a search bar. And also this concept is still less inovative then ZLauncher.

Thanks for providing me a chance to explain how LaunchBoard can be better than the other alternatives, I'll try my best

To launch apps using search bar in other launchers, you would need to:
    - click the search bar or swipe down
    - Type in letters until the app you want shows up
    - In most of the cases, the results will be shown on top of the screen (as in Google Now launcher). So you have to stretch your fingers to get to the app

LaunchBoard on the other hand was built to get work done with as less clicks as possible (perfectly suits those who like to type a lot less)
    If you want to open 'Whatsapp', you just press 'w' and it's readily available to you for launching.

Here's the most important part:

To tap the fullest potential of LaunchBoard, you need to do 2 things:
    1. Add the LaunchBoard widget to your homescreen, so that any app is then JUST ONE CLICK AWAY
    attachment.php

2. From LaunchBoard, long press on the apps that you frequently use, and select 'Add to favorites'. e.g. If you add 'Whatsapp' to your favorites list, it will be shown on top whenever you press 'w'. This way, you don't even have to skim through the list of apps to open your favorites.
    attachment.php

Of course, Z Launcher provides a creative cum innovative way to reach apps by drawing letters on the screen. But it's just more fancy than practical. You would feel great for the first few days, but later on, swaying your hands to draw letters would begin to feel taxing when the craze dissolves.

Try the LaunchBoard homescreen widget to launch apps for 2 days and you're sure to get addicted to it a lot, as it's simple, and just that.
    The best part is that you're not locked down to a specific launcher(as in the case of Z launcher). You can add the LaunchBoard widget and icon to any launcher.
    Just choose a launcher that you like the most, or keep switching between different launchers when bored, but add LaunchBoard to every one of them and have a consistent Launching experience

Thank you!

Thanks again!

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone