[APP] WifiKill - disable internet for network hoggers (Android 4.x)

Search This thread

vvveith

Jul 20, 2010
Cleveland
Nothing cool about being malicious.

I always thought that the reason the XDA community was fun and growing was because people share ideas and hacks that make peoples lives more interesting. I don't think WiFi terrorism is a good tool or model for the XDA community to embrace. I think it is selfish and destructive and could possible ruin someones life if they were in an emergency situration and happened to be using their device over WiFi. Malicious software of any kind is not cool. Just remember what comes around, goes around, so when you get wacked whether it be your bank account or wifi connection, you were part of the problem. Remember 9 11, I hope we all learned something from that. Let's grow up a little and share our resources for the better of our communities, not for the worse. IMHO. Peace, V:rolleyes:

russ18uk

Aug 1, 2011
I always thought that the reason the XDA community was fun and growing was because people share ideas and hacks that make peoples lives more interesting. I don't think WiFi terrorism is a good tool or model for the XDA community to embrace. I think it is selfish and destructive and could possible ruin someones life if they were in an emergency situration and happened to be using their device over WiFi. Malicious software of any kind is not cool. Just remember what comes around, goes around, so when you get wacked whether it be your bank account or wifi connection, you were part of the problem. Remember 9 11, I hope we all learned something from that. Let's grow up a little and share our resources for the better of our communities, not for the worse. IMHO. Peace, V:rolleyes:

Because taking out a public wifi network is akin to September 11? Seriously; if you're worried about this protect your network better.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using XDA App

jose.celestino

Aug 23, 2011
plus.google.com
Why would you make this application? It's unethical. I can't believe XDA put this on their main blog, either. This is the same ARP flooding technique used by man-in-the-middle attackers for the last 10-20+ years. I don't think it's a good idea to encourage this. All someone has to do is just do the exact same application but turn on iptables to forward instead of drop and now you have stolen everyone's unencrypted traffic/facebook logins/email/google accounts/etc on the network. To any IT professional this will look like a MIIM attack and is very illegal in more than one way: not only are you actively disabling people's devices you are wiretapping.

Of course, on a big network since everyone thinks you're the router, every device starts hammering your wifi. So you might have Internet bandwidth to yourself but certainly not wifi as they are hammering on you, which also uses battery and CPU to handle the oncoming packet floods.

Crybaby, are we?

Reactions: pmb6177

hardran3

Sep 15, 2011
Great little app, thanks. I have been testing it on my home network and it works great. Time for some pranks :D

I don't think WiFi terrorism is a good tool or model for the XDA community to embrace.
Remember 9 11, I hope we all learned something from that.

REALITY CHECK:
Redirecting packets to nowhere is a little bit different from running commercial jet liners into skyscrapers. One makes it so your friends can't log into facebook, or shuts down a crazy torrenter so you can actually use the internet; The other kills thousands of people and starts a war that kills hundreds of thousands more.

evil_fish

Aug 1, 2010
Vaasa, Finland
Totally agree!

Why would you make this application? It's unethical. I can't believe XDA put this on their main blog, either. This is the same ARP flooding technique used by man-in-the-middle attackers for the last 10-20+ years. I don't think it's a good idea to encourage this. All someone has to do is just do the exact same application but turn on iptables to forward instead of drop and now you have stolen everyone's unencrypted traffic/facebook logins/email/google accounts/etc on the network. To any IT professional this will look like a MIIM attack and is very illegal in more than one way: not only are you actively disabling people's devices you are wiretapping.

Of course, on a big network since everyone thinks you're the router, every device starts hammering your wifi. So you might have Internet bandwidth to yourself but certainly not wifi as they are hammering on you, which also uses battery and CPU to handle the oncoming packet floods.

This is very bad idea. I can already see a lot of people will abuse others right of using internet.

Aaronneyer

Sep 4, 2010
Is there a way to not load all of the IP addresses? I'm trying to test this out by killing my own computer, but it has to load the other 1000+ on my schools wireless before it loads mine.

claus1953

Aug 15, 2008
This is very bad idea. I can already see a lot of people will abuse others right of using internet.

It might be, but it has also practical use (for me), for example i can prevent my waiters in my restaurant to surf the internet during their work hours. Now as they saw that i can block them they are not doing that anymore..lol. And this has nothing to do with abusing their rights as they have no right to play or surf the internet during work.

Reactions: madfix and cccb010

lrm537

Oct 13, 2010
Aberdeen, UK
goo.gl

911!!! Are you for real?

Aaronneyer

Sep 4, 2010
So far have been unable to get this to work. Tried it with and without iptables, and couldn't get it to work either way. Only attempted to kill Wifi on my laptop, didn't feel like trying anyone else's since I'm on my schools Wifi.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Needs ROOT

promo.png

DESCRIPTION
    Well, with this app you can disable internet connection for a device on the same network. So if someone (anyone) is abusing the internet wasting precious bandwidth for a Justin Bieber videoclips you could just kill their connection and stay happy with a full bandwidth just for yourself.

After a long long delay, I present to you brand new WiFiKill.

This is an early release so be gentle. New features will come after this code proves to be stable.

DOWNLOAD

You can download WiFiKill using WiFiKill Downloader

!!! PRO version !!! requires you to make a donation through PayPal (using WiFiKill Downloader)

SALE, SALE, SALE - PRICE WILL GO UP AFTER SOME SHORT PERIOD OF TIME

Free version has ads, and is shuts down after 5 minutes. In future version more limitations will follow.

FEATURES
    • grabbing traffic, showing websites visited by grabbed device
    • showing bytes transferred by "grabbed device"
    • showing network names (netbios names) of devices
    • tablet friendly!
    • android 4.x only

CHANGELOG
    • v2.2 - 03-02-2013
      • Improve grab/kill effectiveness
      • Fixed killing problem due to iptables rules
      • Fixed grab all button behavior and status device count
      • Fixed url list scrolling issue
      • Fixed some devices missing upon start
      • Added udp protocol blocking
      • Fixed Force-Close when device name was empty
      • Fixed Service Fail upon start

• v2.1 - 25-12-2012
      • VERSION CHANGED to 2.1 to end the confusion :)
      • Enlarge device name input field (thanks m.kucharskov)
      • Add long click on url to open in browser (again m.kucharskov)
      • Add NetBIOS name resolution (network name)
      • Add preference (settings) screen

• v2.0 - 31-10-2012
      • fixed crappy UI on Samsung devices (yes that switches are normal now)
      • fixed some dependency on play store downloader (which is now available here)

SCREENSHOTS
    wfk_1_thumb.png
    wfk_2_thumb.png

wfk_3_thumb.png

=================== OLD VERSION [DISCONTINUED] ===================
    Google pulled it from market, so it's available here:

DONATION VERSION AD-FREE:
    http://slideme.org/application/wifikill

OR

Project homepage: http://forum.ponury.net/

Changelog:
    v1.7 (05/11/2011) uninstall needed:
    • fixed the counter bug (I hope for the last time)
    • added an option to redirect HTTP traffic to specific IP (caution! this may lead to significant CPU load)
    • now successful kills are tagged by green icon on the left of IP :) (this is not 100% correct)

v1.6 (03/11/2011):
    • added an option to have sorted list of devices (by IP or by MAC) - see Settings
    • fixed a lag in preference screen
    • Searching is now looking for IP or Name
    • minor changes here and then

v1.5 (22/10/2011):
    • added an option to assign a name to device's MAC (long-click on the IP)
    • added an option to show the notification status bar
    • added option to set the range of IPs to scan, you can also stop the scan by pressing the search progress bar
    • fixed some strange no-subnet-scan issue?
    • fixed a bug that caused the percent to go over 9000!!!
    • new ICON! the old was ugly, this is simple... meh.

v1.4 (19/10/2011):
    • fixed a few Force Closes
    • added check-for-updates feature
    • fixed something more... don't remember what it was now...
    • fixed "Vibrate when new IP is found" bug (vibration never stopped)
    • removed unused permissions (I think)

v1.3:
    • added Menu => Search option for devices without hardware search button (sgs2)
    • touching the "searching" progress will stop searching and reschedule it in 30 seconds (useful with large networks)

v1.2:
    • fixed two FC
    • fixed counter bug (I hope)
    • fixed "ALL" toggle (should work as expected now)

v1.1:
    • added reject methods in settings
    • search button assigned to... searching IP's
    • fixed device count bug
    • fixed FC
    • (maybe) fixed a iptables error (in settings disable iptables)

Thank you and have a good night :)
    Sounds interesting. I'm curious, from a technical side what method does it use to accomplish this, and how long does it keep them off for?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

I tried it out. Showed all the computers on my network and enabling it blocked the Internet on my computer. I was still connected to the wifi but the Internet didn't work. My brother was playing a game in the basement and when I enabled his I heard him swearing from down there. Pretty cool app.
    So... a small update. I am probably going to work on a new version with my friend after new year. How soon or if it will be available is still not known. We're not even sure we want to release it so basically I just wanted to say that yes I hear you, no I don't know how it will end.
    There might be other problems... We're starting work on totally new release :) so don't want to waste time on this old code.
    PRO version now works kind-of with android 5.0
    Cheers!
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone