[APP][XPOSED][11/07] Discover Killer - Replace the Google Discover page on your home screen

Search This thread

Quinny899

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 26, 2011
Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
quinny898.co.uk
cqUMMNll.png

Discover Killer is an Xposed module that allows you to replace the Google Discover page of your home screen with whatever you want. Tired of garbage clickbait articles and ads? This module can replace the page with your favourite app, RSS feed or other supported 'Overlays'

Examples:
Replacing with Entertainment Space Replacing with an RSS feed Replacing with the BBC news app

(Replacing the page with Entertainment Space, an RSS feed and launching the BBC News app)

Configuration:

Configuration page
Discover Killer has a number of options to configure the 'overlay' (the panel to the left of your home screen), including:

Replace it with another overlay
  • Supported overlays include Entertainment Space; which shows TV shows, music and games, a custom RSS feed, and HomeFeeder. See the Wiki page for more info
OR

Launching an app when fully open (any app is supported)

• Whether to launch the app fresh from each swipe, or to resume the app
  • Pick from a list of backgrounds (based on the app's splash screen and icon) to show on the overlay when opened
  • Pick a colour from your wallpaper to use for Material You

Compatibility:​

The module should work on any launcher that has the Discover page. It hooks the Google app rather than the launcher, which allows this. I've tested it on Lawnchair, Nova Launcher and Action Launcher successfully.

This module has been tested and is working with LSposed, but should also work with EdXposed. Make sure you enable hooking for the Google App when enabling the module (it should be pre-selected)

Download:
Version 3.0

Changelog:
Version 3.0:

Another rewrite? Yeah.

Discover Killer 3.0 removes Snapshot, but replaces it with the ability to use custom overlays. These include a simple RSS feed, Google's Entertainment Space (which shows movies, TV shows, games, music and books), or HomeFeeder. See the Wiki page for more info.

There's also a rewritten settings UI which is simpler, and has much less wait time as the preview has gone. Instead, the overlay changes immediately, so simply swipe to go home to view the updated overlay.

Please note: If you're updating from an old version, please uninstall it before installing this new build. You will need to re-hook the Google App (and Entertainment Space if you have it installed), and then reboot for it to take effect.

Version 2.2:
  • Tweaked Material You theming on Snapshot, with colors now applied to the FAB, bottom pill and some icons. Cards are handled from the server so can't be tinted easily.
  • Allowed Snapshot to draw behind the status bar and added padding to handle that
  • Added the ability to bypass the Xposed checks, please only use this if your Xposed install is working but the checks are failing.
  • Improved the hiding of status bar backgrounds to prevent a grey line appearing on Snapshot

Source Code:
is on GitHub

Attachments

• DiscoverKiller-v1.0.apk
    4.1 MB · Views: 1,392
  • DiscoverKiller-2.0.apk
    11.6 MB · Views: 144
  • DiscoverKiller-2.1.apk
    11.7 MB · Views: 40
  • DiscoverKiller-2.2.apk
    11.7 MB · Views: 1,543
  • DiscoverKiller-v3.0.apk
    14.2 MB · Views: 310
Last edited:

Zlatty

This is pretty cool. I have all the exposed modules installed, but it still gives me a EdXposed error. Which version of EdXposed is it supposed to work with? I'm on a pixel 3xl.

Edit: finally got rid of the errors but the app does not work. I can select an app, but Nova does not show it instead of discover. Let me know what's needed to troubleshoot and help others.

Last edited:

DubDan

Jun 30, 2020
Warsaw
Having the same issue as above, everything seems to be in order but Discover persists. Tried using loads of different apps and no luck.

Reactions: Zlatty

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
Entertainment Space APK and Magisk module attached, as well as builds of HomeFeeder until the developer is in a position to re-create the Telegram channel. 💛💙

Attachments

• EntertainmentSpace.apk
    7.8 MB · Views: 146
  • HomeFeeder-RSS-Plugin.apk
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
  • HomeFeeder.apk
    2.4 MB · Views: 45
  • EntertainmentSpaceModule.zip
    5.9 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Reactions: Zlatty

DubDan

Jun 30, 2020
Warsaw
Issue fixed with help. Google App was out of date, updated to newest version and worked immedietely. Thanks for the help dude.

Module is great, just what I was looking for. Tested with several apps and all seemed to work fine.

If you're facing the same issue, I updated Google App to - Google App 11.17.10 beta

Reactions: Quinny899

IoIam

May 22, 2014
Please submit for taichi if you can
Edit: after trying to use edxposed, it doesn't work. I have only play services, play services for ar, play store, service framework in the blacklist

Last edited:
Hi, the apps didn't work... Not sure what's the problem..

I'm using Nova Launcher with Nova Companion
Device: OnePlus 5T
Rom: LineageOS 18.1
Xposed: LSposed 1.3.5

Build version: v1.3.5 (5551)
Current date: 2021-04-13 01:05:45
Device: OnePlus ONEPLUS A5010

SDK: 30

Stack trace:
android.content.ActivityNotFoundException: No Activity found to handle Intent { act=android.intent.action.CREATE_DOCUMENT typ=*/* (has extras) }
at android.app.Instrumentation.checkStartActivityResult(Instrumentation.java:2067)
at android.app.Instrumentation.execStartActivity(Instrumentation.java:1727)
at android.app.Activity.startActivityForResult(Activity.java:5320)
at androidx.activity.ComponentActivity.startActivityForResult(Unknown Source:0)
at androidx.activity.ComponentActivity$b.b:)10)
at androidx.activity.result.ActivityResultRegistry$a.a(Unknown Source:15)
at org.lsposed.manager.ui.activity.LogsActivity.onOptionsItemSelected:)2)
at android.app.Activity.onMenuItemSelected(Activity.java:4269)
at ca.onMenuItemSelected(Unknown Source:0)
at l0.onMenuItemSelected(Unknown Source:0)
at mr.onMenuItemSelected(Unknown Source:2)
at androidx.appcompat.widget.ActionMenuView$d.b:)2)
at androidx.appcompat.view.menu.e.e(Unknown Source:4)
at androidx.appcompat.view.menu.e.r:)1)
at androidx.appcompat.widget.ActionMenuView.b:)1)
at androidx.appcompat.view.menu.ActionMenuItemView.onClick(Unknown Source:6)
at android.view.View.performClick(View.java:7448)
at android.view.View.performClickInternal(View.java:7425)
at android.view.View.access$3600(View.java:810)
at android.view.View$PerformClick.run(View.java:28305)
at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:938)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:223)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:7660)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:592)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:947)

Last edited:

karan5chaos

May 12, 2013
Mumbai
I tried using this on my Samsung device but it doesn't work. App keeps telling me "module is not enabled or hooks are not working". I can confirm module is enabled and even magisk and edxposed are installed fine.
Any suggestions?

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
I tried using this on my Samsung device but it doesn't work. App keeps telling me "module is not enabled or hooks are not working". I can confirm module is enabled and even magisk and edxposed are installed fine.
Any suggestions?
You probably need to enable the module on itself via EdXposed (basically whitelist or un-blacklist Discoverkiller). But the hooks need updating so I don't think it'll work at the moment.

I need to find a way to find the class without hardcoding obfuscated names again really.

rodken

Jan 11, 2010
Hi, the apps didn't work... Not sure what's the problem..

I'm using Nova Launcher with Nova Companion
Device: OnePlus 5T
Rom: LineageOS 18.1
Xposed: LSposed 1.3.5

Build version: v1.3.5 (5551)
Current date: 2021-04-13 01:05:45
Device: OnePlus ONEPLUS A5010

SDK: 30

Stack trace:
android.content.ActivityNotFoundException: No Activity found to handle Intent { act=android.intent.action.CREATE_DOCUMENT typ=*/* (has extras) }
at android.app.Instrumentation.checkStartActivityResult(Instrumentation.java:2067)
at android.app.Instrumentation.execStartActivity(Instrumentation.java:1727)
at android.app.Activity.startActivityForResult(Activity.java:5320)
at androidx.activity.ComponentActivity.startActivityForResult(Unknown Source:0)
at androidx.activity.ComponentActivity$b.b:)10)
at androidx.activity.result.ActivityResultRegistry$a.a(Unknown Source:15)
at org.lsposed.manager.ui.activity.LogsActivity.onOptionsItemSelected:)2)
at android.app.Activity.onMenuItemSelected(Activity.java:4269)
at ca.onMenuItemSelected(Unknown Source:0)
at l0.onMenuItemSelected(Unknown Source:0)
at androidx.appcompat.widget.ActionMenuView$d.b:)2)
at androidx.appcompat.view.menu.e.e(Unknown Source:4)
at androidx.appcompat.view.menu.e.r:)1)
at androidx.appcompat.widget.ActionMenuView.b:)1)
at androidx.appcompat.view.menu.ActionMenuItemView.onClick(Unknown Source:6)
at android.view.View.performClick(View.java:7448)
at android.view.View.performClickInternal(View.java:7425)
at android.view.View.access$3600(View.java:810)
at android.view.View$PerformClick.run(View.java:28305)
at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:938)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:223)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:7660)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:592)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:947)
+1

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
Just released version 2.0, a total rewrite from scratch.
  • No obfuscation class/field names (should be immune to Google app updates)
  • True embedded Google Assistant Snapshot page
  • More options for launching other apps
  • A brand new UI, Material You style
Some screenshots:

qI3qAV2l.png

JyfqxdE.gif
LJVzqPOl.gif

The download is in the first post, or on GitHub.

PritamGhosh8009

Jun 3, 2017
Always saying xposed module not enabled, though lsposed is active and working perfectly for other modules. I'm on android 12 beta 4 gsi

PritamGhosh8009

Jun 3, 2017
The check for that is a self hook, it literally cannot fail is LSposed hooks are working. Try rebooting, and if that fails reinstall the module.
I did both... Reboot and reinstall... Still same problem

For your kind notice, here is my lsposed module log

Attachments

• LSPosed_Modules_2021-08-18T08_35_03.736.log
    115.1 KB · Views: 34

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    and there is no way to separate them or make the shelf appear on a swipe to the left?
    Nope, I tried during development. Not possible.
    cqUMMNll.png

Discover Killer is an Xposed module that allows you to replace the Google Discover page of your home screen with whatever you want. Tired of garbage clickbait articles and ads? This module can replace the page with your favourite app, RSS feed or other supported 'Overlays'

Examples:
    Replacing with Entertainment Space Replacing with an RSS feed Replacing with the BBC news app

(Replacing the page with Entertainment Space, an RSS feed and launching the BBC News app)

Configuration:

Configuration page
    Discover Killer has a number of options to configure the 'overlay' (the panel to the left of your home screen), including:

Replace it with another overlay
    • Supported overlays include Entertainment Space; which shows TV shows, music and games, a custom RSS feed, and HomeFeeder. See the Wiki page for more info
    OR

Launching an app when fully open (any app is supported)

• Whether to launch the app fresh from each swipe, or to resume the app
    • Pick from a list of backgrounds (based on the app's splash screen and icon) to show on the overlay when opened
    • Pick a colour from your wallpaper to use for Material You

Compatibility:​

The module should work on any launcher that has the Discover page. It hooks the Google app rather than the launcher, which allows this. I've tested it on Lawnchair, Nova Launcher and Action Launcher successfully.

This module has been tested and is working with LSposed, but should also work with EdXposed. Make sure you enable hooking for the Google App when enabling the module (it should be pre-selected)

Download:
    Version 3.0

Changelog:
    Version 3.0:

Another rewrite? Yeah.

Discover Killer 3.0 removes Snapshot, but replaces it with the ability to use custom overlays. These include a simple RSS feed, Google's Entertainment Space (which shows movies, TV shows, games, music and books), or HomeFeeder. See the Wiki page for more info.

There's also a rewritten settings UI which is simpler, and has much less wait time as the preview has gone. Instead, the overlay changes immediately, so simply swipe to go home to view the updated overlay.

Please note: If you're updating from an old version, please uninstall it before installing this new build. You will need to re-hook the Google App (and Entertainment Space if you have it installed), and then reboot for it to take effect.

Version 2.2:
    • Tweaked Material You theming on Snapshot, with colors now applied to the FAB, bottom pill and some icons. Cards are handled from the server so can't be tinted easily.
    • Allowed Snapshot to draw behind the status bar and added padding to handle that
    • Added the ability to bypass the Xposed checks, please only use this if your Xposed install is working but the checks are failing.
    • Improved the hiding of status bar backgrounds to prevent a grey line appearing on Snapshot

Source Code:
    is on GitHub
    9to5google are reporting that Snapshot is gone from Assistant for most users, so the swipe option may not work for much longer.

I'm still considering options but will look to get an update out replacing it with something else soon. For now, once it dies, the option to open an app will still work.
    As you may have seen, Google are killing Snapshot.

This doesn't mean Discover Killer is dead, it just means it will lose one of its defining features. Anyone got any suggestions for replacement apps that are like Snapshot? Not sure I want news about death and destruction to be always a swipe away...
    I came on this thread just to check on the future of Discover Killer, and I'm glad to see that the dev is active and that Discover Killer isn't going anywhere.

I'm not so sure about snapshot replacement apps but Im gonna start searching now. Will update this post if I find anything worthy
    As you may have seen, Google are killing Snapshot.

This doesn't mean Discover Killer is dead, it just means it will lose one of its defining features. Anyone got any suggestions for replacement apps that are like Snapshot? Not sure I want news about death and destruction to be always a swipe away...
    Having the same issue as above, everything seems to be in order but Discover persists. Tried using loads of different apps and no luck.