[APP][XPOSED][6.0+] XPrivacyLua - Android privacy manager

Search This thread

badabing2003

Sep 17, 2012
@M66B

Thanks for the awesome work, I have a question regarding Accounts.
FAQ/ Comparison doc state that Accounts
- return fake account info (is this the setting: Read account name?)
- return an empty list of synchronizations (is this the setting: Read sync data)

What is that list of synchronizations? the list of accounts under settings? or something else?

I have lots of paid apps, I assume I need to return proper account info for the paid app to pass license restrictions right?
Hence I need to keep Read account name unchecked.

And if the App has an account under /settings/accounts, I need to keep Read sync data unchecked as well right?

Let's say I have many other accounts under /settings (dropbox, evernote, exchange, reddit, ...)
Do you consider revealing all my other accounts to an app (example a TV show app or McDonald's app doesn't need to know my exchange account) a privacy issue?
If so do you have plans or would you consider adding in the Pro App the granular ability (per app) of selecting which account(s) each app can see?

Am I correct in assuming that blocking Read Sync does not block the app data from being synchronized to Google Cloud?
(For Data Backup Restore Purposes)

Properly understanding the behavior goes a long way towards making the right selections.
Thanks in advance.

---------- Post added at 07:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 AM ----------

I have another question regarding Location.

I understand that there are many ways an app tries to determine my location, and one of those is Google Play Services.
If I want to block some flashlight app from knowing my location, which uses Google Play Services,
Is it enough to check Location in XPL? which inherently would also block this App's Google Play Services access?
or Do I also need to block Location For Google Play Services? (shown with red background in XPL)

If it is the former, then all good, if it is the latter, wouldn't that effectively make all my other legitimate (Maps for example) apps that need to know my location stop working (ie getting fake data) (assuming that they are also using Google Play Services)? How does one get around this?

Thanks
BB

---------- Post added at 07:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 AM ----------

Regarding Media.
- prevent recording audio
- prevent taking pictures
- prevent recording video
you will be notified if an application tries to perform any of these actions.

I know that XPL is designed not to cause a crash by returning fake data, however preventing access can cause a crash as you have stated.
The fact that for the above cases XPL is blocking access rather than returning fake data, it's possible to experience crashes, hence why the App will notify, right?
This must be by design and there is no way around it.

I'm just confirming that this is the expected behavior, and am not asking for any feature, because I blocked all access to Barcode Scanner App, and it crashed, XPL notified me that it tried to use the Camera.
I unchecked that setting, and the App is working fine.

Thanks again.
BB

Reactions: Keule-Tm

Bracher

Sep 18, 2009
Where you logged into the same Google account on your second device? And was that the only account you were logged into?
Yes but today I was offered an update so it seems now to be ok and as installed XPrivacy Lua Pro on my tablet several minutes ago everthing went well, so it seems to be solved, thank you very much

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
What is that list of synchronizations? the list of accounts under settings? or something else?
See here for a link to the sync documentation:
https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacyLua/blob/master/README.md#restrictions

I have lots of paid apps, I assume I need to return proper account info for the paid app to pass license restrictions right?

And if the App has an account under /settings/accounts, I need to keep Read sync data unchecked as well right?
That will depend on the app.

Do you consider revealing all my other accounts to an app (example a TV show app or McDonald's app doesn't need to know my exchange account) a privacy issue?
If so do you have plans or would you consider adding in the Pro App the granular ability (per app) of selecting which account(s) each app can see?
This will depend on the interest in the pro companion app.

Am I correct in assuming that blocking Read Sync does not block the app data from being synchronized to Google Cloud?
(For Data Backup Restore Purposes)
You are correct.

I understand that there are many ways an app tries to determine my location, and one of those is Google Play Services.
If I want to block some flashlight app from knowing my location, which uses Google Play Services,
Is it enough to check Location in XPL? which inherently would also block this App's Google Play Services access?
or Do I also need to block Location For Google Play Services? (shown with red background in XPL)
You just need to restrict the app. If you restrict Google Play Services, all apps using this service will get a fake location.

Regarding Media.
- prevent recording audio
- prevent taking pictures
- prevent recording video
you will be notified if an application tries to perform any of these actions.

I know that XPL is designed not to cause a crash by returning fake data, however preventing access can cause a crash as you have stated.
The fact that for the above cases XPL is blocking access rather than returning fake data, it's possible to experience crashes, hence why the App will notify, right?
Apps will generally not crash with any restriction, so also not with these restrictions.

Last edited:
Reactions: badabing2003

shadowbone

Oct 6, 2017
Is the 'determine activity' restriction actually required if the restriction to sensors is already available ? Because reading through the link you provided in readme, I came to know that the activity determined uses the sensors as the receptors, such as computing if the device still, or in motion etc..
So, shouldn't the sensor's restriction itself suffice ?

Please correct me if I got it wrong.

Reactions: Keule-Tm

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Is the 'determine activity' restriction actually required if the restriction to sensors is already available ? Because reading through the link you provided in readme, I came to know that the activity determined uses the sensors as the receptors, such as computing if the device still, or in motion etc..
So, shouldn't the sensor's restriction itself suffice ?

Please correct me if I got it wrong.
Wrong, because activity recognition is done by Google Play services.
You could restrict sensors for Google Play services, but that would disable activity recognition and likely other things for all apps using Google Play services.

popveneer

Apr 5, 2016
Is there a reason that the Restricted 'use camera' is the only restriction to give a notification? Anyone else getting these. I'm getting them for both YouTube and Google Play Services.

The app that is sending the notifications is "Setting Storage".

Edit: Using version 0.25.

Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Is there a reason that the Restricted 'use camera' is the only restriction to give a notification? Anyone else getting these. I'm getting them for both YouTube and Google Play Services.

Restricted notifications are currently hard coded for record audio/video and camera.

My question: are you using the latest version?

jawz101

Jun 4, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Tab S
ZTE Axon 7
I'm confused by how to use the fake location thing in the pro version.

I guess I don't understand why there is a dropdown menu.

Am configuring 3 different definitions of how a location can be requested? If so, can you just get rid of the dropdown and make them individual lines.

The way is setting is presented to the user doesn't explain itself. Like I can think of at least 4 things that location menu and the settings below are conveying

Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I'm confused by how to use the fake location thing in the pro version.

I guess I don't understand why there is a dropdown menu.

Am configuring 3 different definitions of how a location can be requested? If so, can you just get rid of the dropdown and make them individual lines.
You can choose one of:
  • Global: use global fake location settings (swipe left/right to switch between app and global settings)
  • Set: select a fixed custom location (optionally use the search for name)
  • Coarse: make the real location coarse by a set accuracy
You cannot select all of them, hence the dropdown.

Reactions: jawz101

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010

Edit: Using version 0.25.

Yes, currently on v0.25. Screenshot emailed since I can't attach.
The next version will not report the usage of a camera anymore when an app just tries to determine how many camera's there are.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I have just released beta version 0.26 in the Xposed repository.

Changelog:
  • Added restriction selector
  • Small improvements and minor bug fixes
  • Updated translation

This version is a release candidate for the first stable release.

XDA thanks and donations are appreciated. There were some donations and some pro companion app purchases, but far from enough to justify putting a lot of effort into the project.

bifi2090

Nov 22, 2013
THX for this amazing APP -rebirth.
@M66B is it possible, to let the restrictions be selected by a kind of batch -processing like it was done by xprivacy formerly? Maybe again with templates? Actually one must check all apps again. So if it could be possible to add restrictions to all or to some selected apps with one click would be great.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010

Namnodorel

Oct 26, 2015
Thanks for the update ^^ I think you need to check that RecyclerView though; expanding applications when a restriction is selected in the dropdown menu (why can they even be expanded? There's only one restriction shown anyways) will sometimes show only one restriction, sometimes all. When going back to "all" after that, in a similar fashion there might only be one restriction listed when expanding.

Edit: The latter only happens when I apply an restriction to an app while the restriction filter is set.

Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Thanks for the update ^^ I think you need to check that RecyclerView though; expanding applications when a restriction is selected in the dropdown menu (why can they even be expanded? There's only one restriction shown anyways) will sometimes show only one restriction, sometimes all. When going back to "all" after that, in a similar fashion there might only be one restriction listed when expanding.
I think it is okay as it is, but maybe one day I will change it. The most important thing is that you can manage restrictions and that there is a new way to do that now.

Edit: conceptually it is just a filter.

Top Liked Posts

I tried the clipboard and recorded it on WeChat, but Suning did not. . . .

I found this error code
    Code:
    04-10 11:45:26.389  5323  5323 I EdXposed: Riru hooks installed
    04-10 11:45:26.452  5323  5323 I EdXposed: ART hooks installed
    04-10 11:45:26.522  5311  5311 I EdXposed-Bridge: XLua.Xposed Loaded com.android.traceur:10090
    04-10 11:45:26.532  5323  5323 I EdXposed: Loading modules for com.suning.mobile.ebuy
    04-10 11:45:26.532  5323  5323 I EdXposed-Bridge: Loading modules from /data/app/~~hcjuv6HzQbZOKMB3ug7WSw==/eu.faircode.xlua-vNspZ6pSQTrjHf23gYkdcA==/base.apk
    04-10 11:45:26.572  5323  5323 I EdXposed-Bridge:   Loading class eu.faircode.xlua.XLua
    04-10 11:45:26.806  5359  5359 I EdXposed: Start to install inline hooks
    04-10 11:45:26.806  5359  5359 I EdXposed: Using api level 30
    04-10 11:45:26.806  5359  5359 I EdXposed: Start to install Riru hook
    04-10 11:45:26.907  5323  5323 E EdXposed: error when hooking bindApp: pkg=com.suning.mobile.ebuy, prc=com.suning.mobile.ebuy
    04-10 11:45:26.907  5323  5323 E EdXposed: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: length=1052; index=1263817555
    04-10 11:45:26.907  5323  5323 E EdXposed:     at pxb.android.axml.AxmlParser.getNamespacePrefix(AxmlParser.java:151)
    04-10 11:45:26.907  5323  5323 E EdXposed:     at pxb.android.axml.AxmlReader.accept(AxmlReader.java:80)
    04-10 11:45:26.907  5323  5323 E EdXposed:     at com.elderdrivers.riru.edxp.util.MetaDataReader.<init>(MetaDataReader.java:27)
    04-10 11:45:26.907  5323  5323 E EdXposed:     at com.elderdrivers.riru.edxp.util.MetaDataReader.getMetaData(MetaDataReader.java:19)
    04-10 11:45:26.907  5323  5323 E EdXposed:     at com.elderdrivers.riru.edxp._hooker.impl.HandleBindApp.beforeHookedMethod(HandleBindApp.java:69)
    04-10 11:45:26.907  5323  5323 E EdXposed:     at de.robv.android.xposed.XC_MethodHook.callBeforeHookedMethod(XC_MethodHook.java:51)
    04-10 11:45:26.907  5323  5323 E EdXposed:     at com.swift.sandhook.xposedcompat.hookstub.HookStubManager.hookBridge(HookStubManager.java:361)
    04-10 11:45:26.907  5323  5323 E EdXposed:     at SandHookerNew_42b8453bf7df105343083f1377c32094be493c49.hook(Unknown Source:51)
    04-10 11:45:26.907  5323  5323 E EdXposed:     at android.app.ActivityThread.access$1300(ActivityThread.java:237)
    04-10 11:45:26.907  5323  5323 E EdXposed:     at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1913)
    04-10 11:45:26.907  5323  5323 E EdXposed:     at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:106)
    04-10 11:45:26.907  5323  5323 E EdXposed:     at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:223)
    04-10 11:45:26.907  5323  5323 E EdXposed:     at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:7660)
    04-10 11:45:26.907  5323  5323 E EdXposed:     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
    04-10 11:45:26.907  5323  5323 E EdXposed:     at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:592)
    04-10 11:45:26.907  5323  5323 E EdXposed:     at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:947)
    04-10 11:45:26.935  5359  5359 I EdXposed: Riru hooks installed
    04-10 11:45:26.983  5359  5359 I EdXposed: ART hooks installed
    This is a bug in Riru.
    i think by Android(framework) it means Google Service Framework (com.google.android.gsf)
    Android framework is Android system, not GSF.
    i "think" it's a probability
    Maybe you can take over supporting this project from me?
    Okay, it is really enough now. I won't follow this thread anymore. If you need support, you can use the support menu item in the pro companion app.
    I am visiting this thread rarely anymore because most comments are about Xposed and not about XPrivacyLua. So, if it takes a long time until you get an answer from me, you know why now. If you don't get an answer at all, it is most likely about an Xposed issue.
    Can you demonstrate where you see the Xposed issue so I can log a bug with them?
    This thread is full of comments about this problem, but the Xposed developers are too busy fighting with each other. Basically, XPrivacyLua itself isn't hooked.

Read a little back here to see which version/combinations Riru/Xposed work.
    @M66B Marcel, for me, XPrivacyLua is the only reason why I use Xposed. What if you could incorporate the parts you need from that into XPL so that it becomes an independent module running in Magisk? There's rumors that Riru will be incorporated into Magisk. Can XPL evolve into a Magisk module by then?
    Thanks to @yujincheng08, there's a pull request queued to make LSPosed work with crDroid 6.14 which I'm using. Maybe, it also helps others. Now, XPrivacyLua is loaded properly.

EDIT: And it got comitted. ;-) If you want to try it out, download LPosed 1.3.3 from Github Actions.
    I'm on Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G, Android 10, Dr. Ketan ROM.

I was able to get XPrivacyLua work with the combination:
    Magisk 22.0 Edxposed 0.5.2.1_4677 XPrivacyLua 1.30

It's installed and doesn't report any problems — however it doesn't block — at least something.

I tested with blocking internet for Firefox, checking Internet.Offline — and while it reports the access time whenI open a page, so it's registering the access — it doesn't block it, the website loads.

It did block it before I got into problems, but not now on new install.

I'm aware I can block internet with a separate firewall — I also use Netguard — however it led me to a thought that it might not be blocking other permissions also.

However it seems to block other permissions as I tried blocking camera use and Camera won't take pictures. But no more internet block.

It would certainly give me more comfort to have it block internet access here also — especially since it worked before upgrade of Magisk etc and all the problems.

Why is it not blocking? What could it be?

Also, I was able to get it working on the same phone with the combination of latest Riru and Lsposed. The behavior oh the same.
    Blocking internet via Xposed hooks is unreliable, which is why this is not one of the standard hook definitions.
    XPrivacyLua

banner_play_store.png

Really simple to use privacy manager for Android 6.0 Marshmallow and later (successor of XPrivacy).

Revoking Android permissions from apps often let apps crash or malfunction. XPrivacyLua solves this by feeding apps fake data instead of real data.

Features:

• Simple to use
    • Manage any user or system app
    • Extensible
    • Multi-user support
    • Free and open source

See here for all details, including installation instructions and download link.

Please read the frequently asked questions before asking a question.

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of XPrivacyLua. Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to XPrivacyLua and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread, but anything not related to privacy is not allowed. However:

Discussions about Xposed are not allowed here, please use the Xposed forums instead.

If XPrivacyLua doesn't work and/or when "module not running or updated" is shown, this is almost always caused by an Xposed problem.

Discussions about purchases are not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

XPrivacyLua is being maintained and supported, but new features won't be added anymore.

Custom hook definitions will always be part of XPrivacyLua, but there will be community support only. This means that I won't respond to questions about defining custom hooks anymore. See this thread for the reasons.

If you value your privacy, please consider to support this project with a donation or by purchasing pro features.

XPrivacyLua is not a permission manager, but a privacy manager. XPrivacyLua doesn't block things and doesn't revoke permissions, but does replace real data by fake data. This means you can grant Android permissions to an app and still let XPrivacyLua prevent the app from seeing privacy sensitive data. Revoking permissions can result in an app refusing to work and/or to crash. However, replacing real by fake data generally doesn't let an app crash.

Currently restrictions are quite crude because they mostly replace real data by no data. For example restricting the contacts app from getting contacts will result in an empty contact list. In the near future it might be made possible to select the data an app may see, for example just one group of contacts.

About feature requests and bug reports:

The goal is to have a tool that can properly protect the privacy of many in the near future. However, it isn't paid work, so I do whatever I like whenever I like it.

You can request features in this XDA forum. I will read them, but I will not respond to them and they might or might not be implemented. If I know for sure something will not be implemented, I will let you know.

You can report any problem you have here. There will be no issue tracker on GitHub.

For now I have decided to not implement restrictions that are useful to prevent tracking only. There are simply too many data items that can be used for tracking and it would take too much time to develop restrictions for all these data items.

The basic idea is to restrict only things that 'define' you, so which contacts you have, where you are, which apps you use, etc.

Maybe we can widen the definition of things that the core of XPL covers to "What defines you, and what can be used to spie on you"? This would include camera/audio, but not tracking.

XPrivacyLua is pretty feature complete and will be maintained and supported and when there is a need new hook definitions will be added to better protect your privacy. For the rest this FAQ applies:

https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacyLua/blob/master/FAQ.md#FAQ4

As said before, development will also depend on Xposed development, which is just minimal unfortunately.

XDA thanks and donations are appreciated.

XPrivacyLua is supported with Xposed only. There is no support for VirtualXposed and TaiChi.

XDA:DevDB Information
    XPrivacyLua, Xposed for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacyLua

Xposed Package Name: eu.faircode.xlua

Version Information
    Beta

Created 2018-01-05
    Last Updated 2020-03-10
    I have just released beta version 0.5 in the Xposed repository.

The XPrivacyLua framework and user interface seems to be stable enough to call this a beta release.

Besides several bug fixes and improvements two new restrictions were added:
    • Read account name, which mostly holds your e-mail address and will be replace by '[email protected]' when restricted
    • Read clipboard, which will be replaced by the text 'Private' when restricted

Furthermore the ability to restrict Android system (be careful!) and to restrict system apps was added. It is possible to restrict all of these individually (XPrivacy could not do that).

Be sure to take a look at the help page in the app again (use the ?-icon), since there were some useful hints added.

If you appreciate what I am building here, please let me know by means of an XDA thanks and/or a donation, so that I don't get the feeling 'What am I doing this for?'.
    I have just released alpha version 0.12 in the Xposed repository.

This version has been redesigned for Android Oreo compatibility. The user interface and the restrictions work properly for me, but be aware that a lot has been changed on the inside ("it is bigger on the inside", lol), also for earlier Android versions. There is one thing I know of that needs improving and that is that the user interface might be updated too often with a lot of restrictions, which might cause delays and hangs. I will look into this tomorrow.

This change was necessary, but it was a lot of work, so XDA thanks and donations are appreciated.
    I have just released beta version 0.25 in the Xposed repository.

Changelog:

With this release XPrivacyLua restriction's can be compared with XPrivacy's. There are now over 100 restriction definitions!

XDA thanks and donations are appreciated.
    @CHEF-KOCH You have been given enough time to respond here. Now I just think it is pretty cowardly to write critical about XPrivacyLua, but not to tell what can actually be improved, especially because you were invited to do so.

I still like to hear how XPrivacyLua can be improved, but I don't want to hear what is wrong with XPrivacyLua. You'll need to keep the scope of XPrivacyLua in mind (in short: privacy, not security), see the opening post and previous discussions about this for more information.

Also, if you really know better, I like to see an original work from your hands to prove that. Actions speak louder than words.

As it is now, you are discouraging one of the few people in the world who really did something substantial to improve privacy on Android. And don't go talking about VPNs, TOR, etc because your private information, like your contacts, will still leak.

I also think you are pretty ungrateful for what I did so far.

To others: if you see someone reference one of his blogs, please reference this comment in response.

Edit: if you agree with this, please add an XDA thanks to this comment, so it will show up in the right column as a reference for others.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone