[CLOSED][APP][XPOSED][6.0+] XPrivacyLua - Android privacy manager [UNSUPPORTED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

popveneer

Apr 5, 2016
Actually this is one of the problems that was fixed in beta version 0.26, so make sure you have version 0.26 installed and did hard reboot your device.

On 0.26 before, 0.27 now. Retested. Full reboot, twice. Still getting same error. Privacy.PlaceLikelihoodBuffer.get

Tried Maps and WhatsApp and there is no error on these with Course fake. (Although watching the new recalculated location fake every 5 seconds is funny).

Could this be something specific to how this app "Dark Sky" handles location? If so, I've got Logcat.

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

New filters are awesome. V0.27. One odd behavior.

1. Select any single filter.
2. Select another single filter.
3. Red apps, when expanded, still show the first filter. While white apps are updated to the currently selected filter.

It seems that the red apps (potential problem apps) stick with the first selected filter. Setting filter to show All and then selecting new filter works fine for all apps.

I see why you didnt want to add features until core utility was very stable.

Tomek0000

Jun 14, 2015
The suggestion. XPL shows time of use the restriction if the restriction is set. If showing the use of restriction will be possible if the restriction is not set, it will help much in the procces of selecting if the restriction should be set or not.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
On 0.26 before, 0.27 now. Retested. Full reboot, twice. Still getting same error. Privacy.PlaceLikelihoodBuffer.get

Tried Maps and WhatsApp and there is no error on these with Course fake. (Although watching the new recalculated location fake every 5 seconds is funny).

Could this be something specific to how this app "Dark Sky" handles location? If so, I've got Logcat.

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

New filters are awesome. V0.27. One odd behavior.

1. Select any single filter.
2. Select another single filter.
3. Red apps, when expanded, still show the first filter. While white apps are updated to the currently selected filter.

It seems that the red apps (potential problem apps) stick with the first selected filter. Setting filter to show All and then selecting new filter works fine for all apps.

I see why you didnt want to add features until core utility was very stable.
Both problems should be fixed in beta version 0.29. Eventually we'll get there.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
The suggestion. XPL shows time of use the restriction if the restriction is set. If showing the use of restriction will be possible if the restriction is not set, it will help much in the procces of selecting if the restriction should be set or not.
Given how XPrivacyLua works, this is not possible. Restrictions will only be applied when you select them and there can only be usage data when restrictions are applied. This is better for stability and performance.

Reactions: tbv2005 and Orphee

Beefheart

Dec 5, 2007
England
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Apologies if it has been asked and answered (a quick search didn't reveal). If and when a batch feature is introduced (for example, apply a select number of restrictions to a selection of apps), will this be a pro feature?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Apologies if it has been asked and answered (a quick search didn't reveal). If and when a batch feature is introduced (for example, apply a select number of restrictions to a selection of apps), will this be a pro feature?
If it will be introduced, it will be a pro feature.

Reactions: the.D

Orphee

Jan 31, 2008
Google Pixel 8
@M66B some timestamp are truncated (always have been the case) it is because of translation?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180120-084745.jpg
    Screenshot_20180120-084745.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 356

vangame

Jan 15, 2018
@M66B with 0.24, everything is ok, then I update to 0.25, meet some problem.
I need uncheck read network data so as to make app work in the first use.
When checked, app may crash or just say network failure. But app is already in white list of afwall+, and the log says app has been blocked to 192.168.1.1
When unchecked, everything is ok. Then check, still ok. Only the first time.
Would you please fix it? Thank you very much. You're appreciated. And very sorry for bad English.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
@M66B with 0.24, everything is ok, then I update to 0.25, meet some problem.
I need uncheck read network data so as to make app work in the first use.
When checked, app may crash or just say network failure. But app is already in white list of afwall+, and the log says app has been blocked to 192.168.1.1
When unchecked, everything is ok. Then check, still ok. Only the first time.
Would you please fix it? Thank you very much. You're appreciated. And very sorry for bad English.
Please provide a logcat with the crash and I will see what I can do.
Also tell me which app is crashing.

Edit: version 0.25 didn't change anything to read network data restriction.

Last edited:
Reactions: fw190

Tomek0000

Jun 14, 2015
One more suggestion from point of view ordinary user , who knows only how to basic use android on his phone and nothing more ...
The current version lets to select filter and in the filter the name of it, fe:
"Read identifiers "
We know what it is , if not we can see on https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacyLua but someone else what will he think/do ? IDs oh , I do not know , better do not touch it . He/she will not go to FAQ , first because he will not know where it is , second he will have to check it very often (maybe after many checks he will remember) and will not have time or willingness. The solution is to add full description of every fileter in to app (maybe "?" button , which will show full description about selected filter with info : serial number, Android ID, GSF ID, advertising ID , IMEI and all the rest identifiers supported by XPL . The same for each filter.
The "?" button near the selected filter field , no in menu . Info should be accessable after single touch.

Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
One more suggestion from point of view ordinary user , who knows only how to basic use android on his phone and nothing more ...
The current version lets to select filter and in the filter the name of it, fe:
"Read identifiers "
We know what it is , if not we can see on https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacyLua but someone else what will he think/do ? IDs oh , I do not know , better do not touch it . He/she will not go to FAQ , first because he will not know where it is , second he will have to check it very often (maybe after many checks he will remember) and will not have time or willingness. The solution is to add full description of every fileter in to app (maybe "?" button , which will show full description about selected filter with info : serial number, Android ID, GSF ID, advertising ID , IMEI and all the rest identifiers supported by XPL . The same for each filter.
The "?" button near the selected filter field , no in menu . Info should be accessable after single touch.
I think that if somebody want to protect his/her privacy that he/she at least should read the documentation, which describes all restrictions. The documentation will be referenced from the in-app help page in the next release.

Also this FAQ applies:
https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacyLua/blob/master/FAQ.md#FAQ4

I think I did quite some effort to develop XPrivacyLua and I think it is not unreasonable to expect that somebody who wants to use XPrivacyLua to protect his/her privacy does some effort too by reading the documentation. If there are any questions, they can be asked here and when needed I will update the documentation. Documentation contributions in the form of pull requests are welcome too.

Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I have just released beta version 0.30 in the Xposed repository.

Changelog:
  • Added system properties hook (get identifiers)
  • Small improvements and minor bug fixes
  • Updated documentation

I have checked all XPrivacy source code and discovered that system properties (serial number) could not be restricted yet, so I have added this.

If XPrivacyLua reports an error or if an restricted app crashes, please let me know and provide a logcat and I will see if it can be fixed in the next release.

You can consider this version to be an almost stable version.

XDA thanks and donations are still appreciated.

scutworker

Jan 5, 2010
I have just released beta version 0.30 in the Xposed repository.

Changelog:
Added system properties hook (get identifiers)
Small improvements and minor bug fixes
Updated documentation

I have checked all XPrivacy source code and discovered that system properties (serial number) could not be restricted yet, so I have added this.

If XPrivacyLua reports an error or if an restricted app crashes, please let me know and provide a logcat and I will see if it can be fixed in the next release.

You can consider this version to be an almost stable version.

XDA thanks and donations are still appreciated.

Seems to be working perfectly well here. Thanks so much for all your work. It's really appreciated.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    XPrivacyLua

banner_play_store.png

Really simple to use privacy manager for Android 6.0 Marshmallow and later (successor of XPrivacy).

Revoking Android permissions from apps often let apps crash or malfunction. XPrivacyLua solves this by feeding apps fake data instead of real data.

Features:

• Simple to use
    • Manage any user or system app
    • Extensible
    • Multi-user support
    • Free and open source

See here for all details, including installation instructions and download link.

Please read the frequently asked questions before asking a question.

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of XPrivacyLua. Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to XPrivacyLua and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread, but anything not related to privacy is not allowed.

If XPrivacyLua doesn't work and/or when "module not running or updated" is shown, this is almost always caused by an Xposed problem.

Discussions about purchases are not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

XPrivacyLua is being maintained and community supported, but new features won't be added anymore.

Custom hook definitions will always be part of XPrivacyLua, but there will be community support only. This means that I won't respond to questions about defining custom hooks anymore. See this thread for the reasons.

If you value your privacy, please consider to support this project with a donation or by purchasing pro features.

XPrivacyLua is not a permission manager, but a privacy manager. XPrivacyLua doesn't block things and doesn't revoke permissions, but does replace real data by fake data. This means you can grant Android permissions to an app and still let XPrivacyLua prevent the app from seeing privacy sensitive data. Revoking permissions can result in an app refusing to work and/or to crash. However, replacing real by fake data generally doesn't let an app crash.

Currently restrictions are quite crude because they mostly replace real data by no data. For example restricting the contacts app from getting contacts will result in an empty contact list. In the near future it might be made possible to select the data an app may see, for example just one group of contacts.

About feature requests and bug reports:

The goal is to have a tool that can properly protect the privacy of many in the near future. However, it isn't paid work, so I do whatever I like whenever I like it.

You can request features in this XDA forum. I will read them, but I will not respond to them and they might or might not be implemented. If I know for sure something will not be implemented, I will let you know.

You can report any problem you have here. There will be no issue tracker on GitHub.

For now I have decided to not implement restrictions that are useful to prevent tracking only. There are simply too many data items that can be used for tracking and it would take too much time to develop restrictions for all these data items.

The basic idea is to restrict only things that 'define' you, so which contacts you have, where you are, which apps you use, etc.

Maybe we can widen the definition of things that the core of XPL covers to "What defines you, and what can be used to spie on you"? This would include camera/audio, but not tracking.

XPrivacyLua is pretty feature complete and will be maintained and supported and when there is a need new hook definitions will be added to better protect your privacy. For the rest this FAQ applies:

https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacyLua/blob/master/FAQ.md#FAQ4

As said before, development will also depend on Xposed development, which is just minimal unfortunately.

XDA thanks and donations are appreciated.

XPrivacyLua is supported with Xposed only. There is no support for VirtualXposed and TaiChi.
    I have just released beta version 0.5 in the Xposed repository.

The XPrivacyLua framework and user interface seems to be stable enough to call this a beta release.

Besides several bug fixes and improvements two new restrictions were added:
    • Read account name, which mostly holds your e-mail address and will be replace by 'privacy@private.com' when restricted
    • Read clipboard, which will be replaced by the text 'Private' when restricted

Furthermore the ability to restrict Android system (be careful!) and to restrict system apps was added. It is possible to restrict all of these individually (XPrivacy could not do that).

Be sure to take a look at the help page in the app again (use the ?-icon), since there were some useful hints added.

If you appreciate what I am building here, please let me know by means of an XDA thanks and/or a donation, so that I don't get the feeling 'What am I doing this for?'.
    I have just released alpha version 0.12 in the Xposed repository.

This version has been redesigned for Android Oreo compatibility. The user interface and the restrictions work properly for me, but be aware that a lot has been changed on the inside ("it is bigger on the inside", lol), also for earlier Android versions. There is one thing I know of that needs improving and that is that the user interface might be updated too often with a lot of restrictions, which might cause delays and hangs. I will look into this tomorrow.

This change was necessary, but it was a lot of work, so XDA thanks and donations are appreciated.
    I have just released beta version 0.25 in the Xposed repository.

Changelog:

With this release XPrivacyLua restriction's can be compared with XPrivacy's. There are now over 100 restriction definitions!

XDA thanks and donations are appreciated.
    @CHEF-KOCH You have been given enough time to respond here. Now I just think it is pretty cowardly to write critical about XPrivacyLua, but not to tell what can actually be improved, especially because you were invited to do so.

I still like to hear how XPrivacyLua can be improved, but I don't want to hear what is wrong with XPrivacyLua. You'll need to keep the scope of XPrivacyLua in mind (in short: privacy, not security), see the opening post and previous discussions about this for more information.

Also, if you really know better, I like to see an original work from your hands to prove that. Actions speak louder than words.

As it is now, you are discouraging one of the few people in the world who really did something substantial to improve privacy on Android. And don't go talking about VPNs, TOR, etc because your private information, like your contacts, will still leak.

I also think you are pretty ungrateful for what I did so far.

To others: if you see someone reference one of his blogs, please reference this comment in response.

Edit: if you agree with this, please add an XDA thanks to this comment, so it will show up in the right column as a reference for others.