[CLOSED][APP][XPOSED][6.0+] XPrivacyLua Pro companion app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Could I suggest a feature - a randomize on access or randomize value buttons for the pro companion app, something like what xprivacy has.

Thanks
Randomization is known to cause crashes and will therefore not be added. See also the FAQ.

A one time randomization per app might be added sometime in the future, but I am not going to do that for just a few dozen people. Adding something is four times work: develop, test, maintain and support.

Reactions: Tletl

OSheden

Feb 13, 2017
play.google.com
Don't worry, I won't get discouraged. I quoted a few of the comments just to make clear why the pro companion app is and will stay a beta version (beta versions of an app don't have an average rating).
While I do understand your point of view, all apps should be published as beta versions. I receive similar reviews for my apps... That's part of the game.
I'm sure you also noticed that Google removed some ratings (users still see their review on their device but they have disappeared for the rest of the world) without any explanation/informing us.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
While I do understand your point of view, all apps should be published as beta versions. I receive similar reviews for my apps... That's part of the game.
I'm sure you also noticed that Google removed some ratings (users still see their review on their device but they have disappeared for the rest of the world) without any explanation/informing us.
I don't want to be part of that game. IMHO the whole rating system is broken. People with complaints rate more often than people without complaints resulting in a situation that is quite unfair for a developer.

Google often does not even remove comments when reported to violate the Play store rules. Worse, Google does not even remove apps violating copyrights. So, don't expect any support from Google. Someone called Google autistic in the past and I can't say I disagree with this.

zzzhead

Dec 5, 2013
Randomization is known to cause crashes and will therefore not be added. See also the FAQ.

A one time randomization per app might be added sometime in the future, but I am not going to do that for just a few dozen people. Adding something is four times work: develop, test, maintain and support.

A 1 time randomization would be great too!

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
A 1 time randomization would be great too!
After giving this some thought: I don't think adding a button to randomize the values or location would add much. I think you are perfectly capable of making something up yourself.

Randomizing on each app start is known to cause trouble because the value is different from what the app stored before resulting in difficult to pinpoint issues like losing pro features and even crashes. This is not something I want to support.

mnjm9b

Apr 26, 2008
After giving this some thought: I don't think adding a button to randomize the values or location would add much. I think you are perfectly capable of making something up yourself.

Randomizing on each app start is known to cause trouble because the value is different from what the app stored before resulting in difficult to pinpoint issues like losing pro features and even crashes. This is not something I want to support.
couldn't a custom line(s) in the lua script be used to randomize if a user needed this feature?

sixtyfootmalcolm

Jun 13, 2013
Excuse my ignorance but what is the best way for a user without Google Play to update the Pro app without needing to bother you? I thought I'd seen it check automatically in the past but it doesn't seem to actually process an update. (0.15 is currently installed.)

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Excuse my ignorance but what is the best way for a user without Google Play to update the Pro app without needing to bother you? I thought I'd seen it check automatically in the past but it doesn't seem to actually process an update. (0.15 is currently installed.)
I guess you still have a version installed without the update check. Follow the link in the email with activation instructions to update to the latest version. After that you'll receive automatically notifications about me versions.

You'll also discover that there are a lot more features now ;)

Reactions: sixtyfootmalcolm

sixtyfootmalcolm

Jun 13, 2013
I guess you still have a version installed without the update check. Follow the link in the email with activation instructions to update to the latest version. After that you'll receive automatically notifications about me versions.

Great, thanks very much! Fab, looking forward to it. :)

sixtyfootmalcolm

Jun 13, 2013
That worked, thank you. Enjoying the new features especially the log. Really shows the value of it working, for example installed games harvesting data overnight while sleeping. Good for showing friends what they unwittingly give up about themselves too.

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
Marcel, in the other thread you said the following.

A reboot shouldn't be necessary, a refresh should be enough.

The definitions are copied and stored separately, so with the next release you don't have to do anything. Even if I would remove these built in hook definitions (which I am not planning to do) you would still have a copy of them. You can export them to backup them if you like.

Edit: this belongs in the pro companion app thread too.

I am going to be more strict with this because I don't want trouble with XDA (the pro companion app is a paid app and should therefore be discussed in the XDA paid apps sub forum). I can't prevent people from using the wrong thread, but I can prevent myself from giving answers to questions asked in the wrong thread.

I tried refresh but didn't see it, perhaps I didn't wait long enough, although I waited till the spinning cursor stripped spinning.

How do I export hook definitions? I see import option but no export for definitions.
I see import / export for my restrictions.

I'm sure I'm not looking in the right place or it's staring in the face and I'm not seeing it.

I understand, this didn't belong in the other thread, be strict that's the right way.

Thanks
BB

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Marcel, in the other thread you said the following.

I tried refresh but didn't see it, perhaps I didn't wait long enough, although I waited till the spinning cursor stripped spinning.

How do I export hook definitions? I see import option but no export for definitions.
I see import / export for my restrictions.

I'm sure I'm not looking in the right place or it's staring in the face and I'm not seeing it.

I understand, this didn't belong in the other thread, be strict that's the right way.
Tap on a definition to get the menu and there will be 'export''.

Edit: @badabing2003 XPrivacyLua version 1.16.1 fixes the hook update problem

Last edited:
Reactions: badabing2003
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

XPrivacyLua Pro companion app

This thread is to discuss about the pro companion app of XPrivacyLua.

You can install the pro companion app for free and manage hook definitions and access the hook definition repository for free. You can see how the other features work, but using them requires a purchase:

• backup and restore all settings
    • manage individual hooks per app
    • set/randomize custom identifiers globally/per app
    • allow (non) starred contacts globally/per app
    • set custom fake or coarse location globally/per app
    • view a global log of which restriction were applied and when
    • notify on applying an app restriction
    • dark theme

Although the pro companion app is stable, it will be forever published in the Play store as "testing" because I don't want to deal with unfair ratings/comments. Just too many people have unreasonable expectations.

If you value your privacy, please consider to support this project by purchasing pro features or with a donation.

If you want to install the pro companion app and activate the pro features without Google services, please contact me through this contact form: https://contact.faircode.eu (select "XPrivacyLua standalone").

The pro companion app is supported with Xposed only.

XDA:DevDB Information
    XPrivacyLua pro companion app, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B

Version Information

Created 2018-01-31
    Last Updated 2018-01-31

XDA:DevDB Information
    XPrivacyLua Pro companion app, App for the Paid Software Discussion

Contributors
    M66B

Version Information

Created 2018-01-31
    Last Updated 2019-04-17
    Christ dude $15 for pro features???!!

And you even got the admins to delete the fork that enables the pro features for free. **** move.
    XPrivacyLua is completely free to use, so you can protect your privacy for free. Given the time I have put into it, this is a big gift. The pro companion app offers convenience and advanced features and is not free to use.

You clearly experience the price too high, but in fact it is much too low because it will never ever pay for the hours I have put into this project.

Most apps are free, but in fact you are paying in some other, likely privacy invading way. Most paid apps are cheap and they can be due to the high number of users. XPrivacyLua has maybe 3000 users and just a few percent actually support the project. I have put about 450 hour into this project. Go figure.

So, if you value your privacy, please support this project instead of trying to use the pro companion app for free.

Edit: there has never been a fork or whatever, so you have been using either cracking tools or a cracked version of the pro companion app. Crackers do not work for free because that is simply not how the world works most of the time. Mostly they earn their money by inserting malicious code. So, you are not only using illegal stuff, but also taking a big risk. Don't be surprised if something was stolen from you.
    You were very vocally against the pro features despite the community feedback and only enabled it as a means to kill the community fork. So yes you released it but locked it behind a prohibitively expensive price as a way of getting back at people. For $15 it might as well not exist. But tbh I think it's more of an ego issue than a money issue. And it's obviously apparent from how you took an amazing app and neutered it because you want to police how others want to use their devices. Yes this is your personal project and you can do whatever the hell you want with it but it just seems so counter productive.
    Which community fork are you talking about?

Edit: all source code is here: https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacyLua, but it doesn't contain the pro companion app because I don't want it to be used free.

And yes, I was against pro features and still I built them and put a price on them, which go together. So, be happy that there are pro features available and not only XPrivacyLua. It is not 'a way of getting back at people', that lives only in your mind.

I provided XPrivacyLua for free and open sourced it. How is that an ego issue?

I am not policing how you use your device. That is absolute nonsense.

You obviously want to use the pro companion app for free. Can you please explain me why?

Basically you come here to complain that your cracked version doesn't work anymore. You should be banned for that.

I think it is pretty disrespectful to steal somebody else's work.
    A ton of apps do this. XPL is literally useless if you can't or don't want to pay $15. Your privacy ends when your inability to pay begins.

And to those preaching this as the holy grail as privacy: don't even pretend, you know some apps outright crashes when restrictions are applied.

I'm usually okay with these semi functional freemium apps since they cost a few bucks at most to unlock but $15 is too greedy out of principle alone, especially if he's making this for the, lol, "betterment of humanity". You'd think with a mission that great the not-so-optional features would be more accessible.

Watch him interpret this as wanting things for free because in his mind less money apparently equals no money. Probably sprinkled with some threats of leaving because he thinks he's rovo89 or something.
    If $15 is worth the pro features and to support the XPrivacyLua project is up to you, but it is clear to me that you don't want to pay anything or almost nothing. That is fine, but then you should not have access to the pro features.

XPrivacyLua generally doesn't let apps crash, although this can't be prevented completely. See also the FAQ.

Nobody preaches that XPrivacyLua is the holy grail of privacy, but it is the most complete privacy tool for Android there is.

Anyway, go find another completely free privacy tool that is maintained and supported and just go away here.
    I have just released version 0.69.

Changelog:
    • Android 9 Pie compatibility
    • Switched to AndroidX
    • Updated libraries
    • Updated build tools