[APP][XPOSED] DiscoverKiller - Replace the Google Discover page on your home screen

Search This thread

Quinny899

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 26, 2011
Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
quinny898.co.uk
cqUMMNll.png

DiscoverKiller is an Xposed module that allows you to replace the Google Discover page of your home screen with whatever you want. Tired of garbage clickbait articles and ads? This module can replace the page with your favourite app, or the Google Assistant 'Updates' screen - with actual useful and convenient information, like Google Now used to be.

Examples:
HE1yG75.gif
CdrrK5F.gif

(Replacing the page with Assistant 'Updates', and replacing it to launch the BBC News app)

Configuration:

DiscoverKiller has three options for the left pane behaviour: Open the Assistant 'Updates' screen, choose a custom app to launch (any of your apps will work) or use the standard behaviour (if you want to temporarily go back without having to reboot). If you're using the 'Updates' screen behaviour, there's also an option to close the app by swiping right (swiping left, although integrated, doesn't work properly due to the gestures already on that screen).

Compatibility:
The module should work on any launcher that has the Discover page. It hooks the Google app rather than the launcher, which allows this. I've tested it on Lawnchair, Nova Launcher and Action Launcher successfully.
The module is designed to work with EdXposed, and has not been submitted for TaiChi's verification which is required for modules to work with that mod. If there is sufficient demand, I may consider submitting it. EdXposed currently passes Safety Net on a correctly configured device, so there's not a reason to use TaiChi over EdXposed at the moment.

Download:
Version 1.0

Source Code:
is on GitHub

Attachments

• DiscoverKiller-v1.0.apk
    4.1 MB · Views: 1,170
Last edited:

Zlatty

Oct 7, 2011
SFBA
www.zlatkounger.com
This is pretty cool. I have all the exposed modules installed, but it still gives me a EdXposed error. Which version of EdXposed is it supposed to work with? I'm on a pixel 3xl.

Edit: finally got rid of the errors but the app does not work. I can select an app, but Nova does not show it instead of discover. Let me know what's needed to troubleshoot and help others.

Last edited:

DubDan

Jun 30, 2020
Warsaw
Issue fixed with help. Google App was out of date, updated to newest version and worked immedietely. Thanks for the help dude.

Module is great, just what I was looking for. Tested with several apps and all seemed to work fine.

If you're facing the same issue, I updated Google App to - Google App 11.17.10 beta

Reactions: Quinny899

IoIam

May 22, 2014
Please submit for taichi if you can
Edit: after trying to use edxposed, it doesn't work. I have only play services, play services for ar, play store, service framework in the blacklist

Last edited:
Hi, the apps didn't work... Not sure what's the problem..

I'm using Nova Launcher with Nova Companion
Device: OnePlus 5T
Rom: LineageOS 18.1
Xposed: LSposed 1.3.5

Build version: v1.3.5 (5551)
Current date: 2021-04-13 01:05:45
Device: OnePlus ONEPLUS A5010

SDK: 30

Stack trace:
android.content.ActivityNotFoundException: No Activity found to handle Intent { act=android.intent.action.CREATE_DOCUMENT typ=*/* (has extras) }
at android.app.Instrumentation.checkStartActivityResult(Instrumentation.java:2067)
at android.app.Instrumentation.execStartActivity(Instrumentation.java:1727)
at android.app.Activity.startActivityForResult(Activity.java:5320)
at androidx.activity.ComponentActivity.startActivityForResult(Unknown Source:0)
at androidx.activity.ComponentActivity$b.b:)10)
at androidx.activity.result.ActivityResultRegistry$a.a(Unknown Source:15)
at org.lsposed.manager.ui.activity.LogsActivity.onOptionsItemSelected:)2)
at android.app.Activity.onMenuItemSelected(Activity.java:4269)
at ca.onMenuItemSelected(Unknown Source:0)
at l0.onMenuItemSelected(Unknown Source:0)
at mr.onMenuItemSelected(Unknown Source:2)
at mr.onMenuItemSelected(Unknown Source:2)
at androidx.appcompat.widget.ActionMenuView$d.b:)2)
at androidx.appcompat.view.menu.e.e(Unknown Source:4)
at androidx.appcompat.view.menu.e.r:)1)
at androidx.appcompat.widget.ActionMenuView.b:)1)
at androidx.appcompat.view.menu.ActionMenuItemView.onClick(Unknown Source:6)
at android.view.View.performClick(View.java:7448)
at android.view.View.performClickInternal(View.java:7425)
at android.view.View.access$3600(View.java:810)
at android.view.View$PerformClick.run(View.java:28305)
at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:938)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:223)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:7660)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:592)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:947)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    cqUMMNll.png

DiscoverKiller is an Xposed module that allows you to replace the Google Discover page of your home screen with whatever you want. Tired of garbage clickbait articles and ads? This module can replace the page with your favourite app, or the Google Assistant 'Updates' screen - with actual useful and convenient information, like Google Now used to be.

Examples:
    HE1yG75.gif
    CdrrK5F.gif

(Replacing the page with Assistant 'Updates', and replacing it to launch the BBC News app)

Configuration:

DiscoverKiller has three options for the left pane behaviour: Open the Assistant 'Updates' screen, choose a custom app to launch (any of your apps will work) or use the standard behaviour (if you want to temporarily go back without having to reboot). If you're using the 'Updates' screen behaviour, there's also an option to close the app by swiping right (swiping left, although integrated, doesn't work properly due to the gestures already on that screen).

Compatibility:
    The module should work on any launcher that has the Discover page. It hooks the Google app rather than the launcher, which allows this. I've tested it on Lawnchair, Nova Launcher and Action Launcher successfully.
    The module is designed to work with EdXposed, and has not been submitted for TaiChi's verification which is required for modules to work with that mod. If there is sufficient demand, I may consider submitting it. EdXposed currently passes Safety Net on a correctly configured device, so there's not a reason to use TaiChi over EdXposed at the moment.

Download:
    Version 1.0

Source Code:
    is on GitHub
    Having the same issue as above, everything seems to be in order but Discover persists. Tried using loads of different apps and no luck.

You appear to be using the whitelist, please whitelist your launcher & the google app.
    Issue fixed with help. Google App was out of date, updated to newest version and worked immedietely. Thanks for the help dude.

Module is great, just what I was looking for. Tested with several apps and all seemed to work fine.

If you're facing the same issue, I updated Google App to - Google App 11.17.10 beta
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone