[APP][XPOSED]SMS Xposed 1.4.1: Wake on reception/Action buttons/Privacy option...

Search This thread

srelyt

Apr 19, 2011
/!\ Important : I'm actively searching a dev to help me continue developing the module, if you're interested please contact me /!\

Hello!

This is the official thread for my Xposed Module SMS Xposed. Mainly aimed at the AOSP sms app (com.android.mms) and Hangouts (only the latest version is officially supported, please don't report bugs if you're not using the latest update).

/!\ It seems it's not compatible at all with TouchWizz rom, need more reports /!\

In this thread you can report any bugs, troubles (please see the procedure below) and suggestions.

What it does

All SMS apps:
-Wake on new message
-Flash flashlight on new message (NEW) (BETA)

AOSP SMS or Hangouts:
-Action buttons (Call, Quick Response, Mark As Read) (BETA)
-Added show button option - Privacy mode (NEW)
-Privacy option

AOSP SMS app:
-Custom sms icon color
-Replaces the Smiley Key with an Enter Key ( AOSP keyboard, untested on others)
-Disables fullscreen typing in landscape on devices where it's enabled
-Detects voice punctuation and converts to appropriate symbol (original feature is broken in many languages apart from English) - French, Spanish, German, Dutch
-Unlimited height for textbox option

Known issues

- /!\ It seems it's not compatible at all with TouchWizz rom, need more reports /!\
-Mark as read doesn't update conversations in Hangouts.

Planned features

-Custom voice conversions and commands, the first one will be something like "Send Message"
-More punctuations

Instructions and Download

-Xposed Framework must be installed and operational.
-Go in the Download section of Xposed Installer (that you just installed if you didn't already have it) , download and install the SMS Xposed module.
-Open the app and check the features you want.
-Reboot your device for changes to take effect.

-If you want to change settings later , you'll have to completely close the sms app and relaunch it.

Troubleshooting and bug reporting

First if a feature doesn't work or you encounter a bug/force close, be sure that:

-the module is ticked in xposed installer.
-you have the latest module version available
-you rebooted your device after a settings change or an update
-you're not using a SMS app where some features are not supported (some features only work with AOSP SMS or Hangouts, not the Touchwizz SMS app for example)
-Disable all other xposed modules before reproducing bug to make sure it is really SMSXposed related

If it persists, please provide:
- your configuration : device, rom, android version
- steps to reproduce the problem
- the relevant options you chose in the settings
- the debug.log file found either at : /data/xposed/debug.log ( for versions prior to Xposed Installer 2.3) or /data/data/de.robv.android.xposed.installer/log ( for 2.3+). Please extract it just after the problem occured

(the following part has been taken from the GravityBox thread where it's well explained )

In case you experience SystemUI crashes or other apps Force Closing, or device soft reboots, attach logcat from time
crash occurs. (use adb logcat *:E or your favorite logcat app from Play Store).
Please, don't attach big logs. Only the portion where error is clearly seen.

Please send links to your logs via PM as it can include sms and phone numbers from you and your contacts

Credits and Thanks

-Rovo89
-Tungstwenty
-pulser_g2
-C3C076

Sources

https://github.com/stephaneclotilde/SMSXposed

Translations

If you want to help translate the app, you can use this file : https://github.com/stephaneclotilde/SMSXposed/blob/master/res/values/strings.xml and then send it to me.

Last edited:

srelyt

Apr 19, 2011
Will you add privacy Mode on status screen and wake with new message? Thanks for your work

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

I'll see what I can do for wake on new message.
I didn't understand what is your first request though.

One feature I would love to see is a message area that grows as you type. I find it incredible that Android still shows only 2 or 3 lines of a message on the huge screens we all have.

Good luck!

Definitely can be done. Will integrate the option soon.

Reactions: DeZeeKo and paour

paranoid android85

Oct 23, 2010
san antonio, tx
Cyanogenmod has it in their messenger, it doesn't read what the person who is texting you wrote on the notification bar. It just shows the icon. Handcent also has that feature

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

RudBest

Aug 19, 2009
Hi !
I don't speak english very well
Is it possible to change the color of the notification icon for SMS such as yellow instead of white.
Thank you very much.

Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 Android 4.2.2 Stock

srelyt

Apr 19, 2011
i have this installed on my razr hd with 10.2 and it doesnt seem to do anything

Which feature ? You need to be sure your sms app is the one from google and not one from motorola. If you're trying the smiley button replacer feature you'll need to have the AOSP keyboard.

Will you add privacy Mode on status screen and wake with new message? Thanks for your work

One feature I would love to see is a message area that grows as you type. I find it incredible that Android still shows only 2 or 3 lines of a message on the huge screens we all have.

Good luck!

version 1.1 released
Changelog:
-added voice punctuation replacement for German, Spanish, Dutch.
-added privacy option (beta, might not work in some cases)
-added unlimited height for textbox option

Last edited:

steveo17

Sep 30, 2010
South Amboy
Which feature ? You need to be sure your sms app is the one from google and not one from motorola. If you're trying the smiley button replacer feature you'll need to have the AOSP keyboard.

version 1.1 released
Changelog:
-added voice punctuation replacement for German, Spanish, Dutch.
-added privacy option (beta, might not work in some cases)
-added unlimited height for textbox option

None of these features work. And the update force closes too

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 4

srelyt

Apr 19, 2011
None of these features work. And the update force closes too

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 4

Hello,
That's strange, I just tested it again and had no problem. What feature were you trying? Could you describe precisely where the force close occurred? What android version do you have.
I can send you a version which will send me a bug report.

steveo17

Sep 30, 2010
South Amboy
Hello,
That's strange, I just tested it again and had no problem. What feature were you trying? Could you describe precisely where the force close occurred? What android version do you have.
I can send you a version which will send me a bug report.

I'm using it on cm 10.2. Once I open the app it force closes

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk

jacknicholson

Jun 23, 2013
Beautiful!
Is it possible to change the color of the notification icon for SMS such as yellow instead of white.
Thank you very much.
I'd love this as well. Not necessarily yellow, but hey, I'll take anything. Sometimes my status bar becomes a sea of greyscale notification icons. I don't mind missing new WhatsApp messages, but texts can a different story. Either way, great work!

Hi, could it be possible for you to add more customisation to privacy options?

Like choosing to show the name of the person who sent the message, but not the content?

More cool feature in privacy : add a "show" button the popup, so if the phone is in use by someone else, he will not see the content, but we don't have to disable that fonction every time the phone is in another hands!

I search for that for a long time, the only app to do that simple thing is chompsms.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

srelyt

Apr 19, 2011
OK I saw the bug report and the update broke the English version, I'll fix it in a few hours when I'll be back home

Beautiful!
I'd love thiI as well. Not necessarily yellow, but hey, I'll take anything. Sometimes my status bar becomes a sea of greyscale notification icons. I don't mind missing new WhatsApp messages, but texts can a different story. Either way, great work!

I've looked into it but got only a semi success for the moment. I'll come back when I'll have more results

Reactions: jacknicholson

srelyt

Apr 19, 2011
the fix for the english version has been uploaded.

Hi, could it be possible for you to add more customisation to privacy options?

Like choosing to show the name of the person who sent the message, but not the content?

More cool feature in privacy : add a "show" button the popup, so if the phone is in use by someone else, he will not see the content, but we don't have to disable that fonction every time the phone is in another hands!

I search for that for a long time, the only app to do that simple thing is chompsms.

Hello,

First request is easy and will be in the next version, I'll see if it's possible to do the second one.

Last edited:
Reactions: WiwiPouPou

steveo17

Sep 30, 2010
South Amboy
the fix for the english version has been uploaded.

Hello,

First request is easy and will be in the next version, I'll see if it's possible to do the second one.

Thanks for the update! Working great!

One thing though. I use Swype keyboard and this didn't change the enter key for Swype. Would it be possible to add the mod for Swype too?

Edit: enter mod doesn't work on aosp keyboard either

Last edited:
Reactions: sgs505

srelyt

Apr 19, 2011
Thanks for the update! Working great!

One thing though. I use Swype keyboard and this didn't change the enter key for Swype. Would it be possible to add the mod for Swype too?

Edit: enter mod doesn't work on aosp keyboard either

Did you restart your sms app ? Other options are working ? It might be because CM tweaked the SMS app.
I will see if I can make it work with some well known 3rd party keyboards. Not sure if it will solve your problem though.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    /!\ Important : I'm actively searching a dev to help me continue developing the module, if you're interested please contact me /!\

Hello!

This is the official thread for my Xposed Module SMS Xposed. Mainly aimed at the AOSP sms app (com.android.mms) and Hangouts (only the latest version is officially supported, please don't report bugs if you're not using the latest update).

/!\ It seems it's not compatible at all with TouchWizz rom, need more reports /!\

In this thread you can report any bugs, troubles (please see the procedure below) and suggestions.

What it does

All SMS apps:
    -Wake on new message
    -Flash flashlight on new message (NEW) (BETA)

AOSP SMS or Hangouts:
    -Action buttons (Call, Quick Response, Mark As Read) (BETA)
    -Added show button option - Privacy mode (NEW)
    -Privacy option

AOSP SMS app:
    -Custom sms icon color
    -Replaces the Smiley Key with an Enter Key ( AOSP keyboard, untested on others)
    -Disables fullscreen typing in landscape on devices where it's enabled
    -Detects voice punctuation and converts to appropriate symbol (original feature is broken in many languages apart from English) - French, Spanish, German, Dutch
    -Unlimited height for textbox option

Known issues

- /!\ It seems it's not compatible at all with TouchWizz rom, need more reports /!\
    -Mark as read doesn't update conversations in Hangouts.

Planned features

-Custom voice conversions and commands, the first one will be something like "Send Message"
    -More punctuations

Instructions and Download

-Xposed Framework must be installed and operational.
    -Go in the Download section of Xposed Installer (that you just installed if you didn't already have it) , download and install the SMS Xposed module.
    -Open the app and check the features you want.
    -Reboot your device for changes to take effect.

-If you want to change settings later , you'll have to completely close the sms app and relaunch it.

Troubleshooting and bug reporting

First if a feature doesn't work or you encounter a bug/force close, be sure that:

-the module is ticked in xposed installer.
    -you have the latest module version available
    -you rebooted your device after a settings change or an update
    -you're not using a SMS app where some features are not supported (some features only work with AOSP SMS or Hangouts, not the Touchwizz SMS app for example)
    -Disable all other xposed modules before reproducing bug to make sure it is really SMSXposed related

If it persists, please provide:
    - your configuration : device, rom, android version
    - steps to reproduce the problem
    - the relevant options you chose in the settings
    - the debug.log file found either at : /data/xposed/debug.log ( for versions prior to Xposed Installer 2.3) or /data/data/de.robv.android.xposed.installer/log ( for 2.3+). Please extract it just after the problem occured

(the following part has been taken from the GravityBox thread where it's well explained )

In case you experience SystemUI crashes or other apps Force Closing, or device soft reboots, attach logcat from time
    crash occurs. (use adb logcat *:E or your favorite logcat app from Play Store).
    Please, don't attach big logs. Only the portion where error is clearly seen.

Please send links to your logs via PM as it can include sms and phone numbers from you and your contacts

Credits and Thanks

-Rovo89
    -Tungstwenty
    -pulser_g2
    -C3C076

Sources

https://github.com/stephaneclotilde/SMSXposed

Translations

If you want to help translate the app, you can use this file : https://github.com/stephaneclotilde/SMSXposed/blob/master/res/values/strings.xml and then send it to me.
    Wow, I've been looking for something like this and I'm so glad to see someone finally cares about the SMS application. What we have on stock is too basic, in my opinion. Thank you very much, those features sound perfect so far. I'm not on stock right now but this is a nice reason to go back.

Thanks. And yes it's saddening to see even Google doesn't give it proper support and Android 4.4 seems worse in this regard since Hangouts might receive SMS support and so the stock SMS app could be not present on future nexus devices.

I have no problem with Hangouts doing the SMS stuff except it's not open-source contrary to the current SMS app, so it's more difficult to modify.
    I'll try to have a look at decompiling have some features working with the supposedly new Hangouts version if it does bring SMS support.
    Also I will try to move some features (wake on receive and privacy feature) to a lower level before the SMS app catches new SMS in order to have support for all SMS apps. Would be more interesting. (and maybe add an option to the stock keyboard to disable "smiley layout" mode if possible)

Mercado_Negro said:
    One question, or request if it doesn't exist yet. Could you please add buttons to SMS notifications? Like "reply", "mark as read", "call" and "delete" (all optional, of course). It may seem trivial but this is very good for multitasking because it saves you from opening the SMS application every time you receive a new message.

This is a good idea and it matches the demand of a previous poster wanting a button to add a "show" button when privacy mode is enabled. . I'll see what I can do, I took a quick look at the code and it doesn't seem super easy.

Side note: I attached 3 pictures of a new Xposed Module I'm working on, which purpose is to reverse the theme currently used by some of the stock apps.
    Hello guys, sorry I didn't respond sooner, I didn't see the updates for some reason.
    A new update will be coming in the coming days, I've made good progress with adding buttons to notifications

I would like this feature as well.

One more request is that when I'm already in the SMS app the newly received messages are still being notified.. is it even possible to change this? Thanks for the hardwork. :)

If it's caused by the module, I'll try to reproduce it and disable it
    strange.. privacy mode and unlimited textbox size works perfectly but wake on sms is not working.. i'm on nexus 4, 4.3 stock rooted.. any idea on why wake on sms is not working?

maybe the method changed on this version. I'm on 4.2.2 so I didn't verify on 4.3. I'll check the source code.

I installed this module and enabled the option that replaces the smiley key with the enter key. I’m using SwiftKey and the key does get replaced, but hitting it sends the message instead of entering a new line character. This isn’t expected behaviour, is it? Is a fix for this in the works?

Thanks for making the module.

As stated in the first post only AOSP keyboard has been verified. I'll need to do more tests for 3rd-party keyboards. They all have their own implementation which could or couldn't work out of the box. Some might be tweaked to work correctly but it's not a certainty.

I noticed that when privacy is sender name only and you receive an MMS, it keeps content off notification in statusbar, but it show default notification in tray! Maybe you could see what's the difference in the code?

I knew in some cases it didn't work but didn't have time to run the different possibilities. Thanks, it will help me fixing the issue.

Would it be possible to add an option that disables the default emoticons?

You mean the visual transformation of characters into smiley ? Yes it might be possible.

Can you add wappush message blocker to stock sms app?

Could you give me some more infos, what this is and what would be the benefit ? I don't know the subject.

@srelyt Hi Mate, You have done a great job on this app. I am liking this. :good: BTW is there any chance if you could add a reply & mark as read button right on sms notification at nav panel.. this will be very useful...thanks in advance ;)

Working on it for the next version.

Good luck!

I'll see what I can do for wake on new message.
    I didn't understand what is your first request though.

Good luck!

Definitely can be done. Will integrate the option soon.