[APP] ZShaolin light XDA-DEV release

What tool would you like to see next in ZShaolin?

• Screen / Tmux

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • Gnu C Compiler

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Moar ASCII Gamez

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Packaging system

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Mutt / Msmtp for emails

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Refine what's there, don't add anything.

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters
Search This thread

jaromil.rojo

Jul 22, 2011
Am★dam
www.dyne.org
This is the new thread dedicated to ZShaolin light xda-dev releases

zshaolin-featuring-small.jpg

More information on ZShaolin: http://zshaolin.org

APK download: files.dyne.org/zshaolin/.xda-dev
works without root - only for ARM based devices

ZShaolin light xda-dev is an unrooted shell of full static binaries of software as: OpenSSH, Midnight Commander, Git and ncdu and of course ZSh now up to version 5.

Most of the above is compiled completely static with my own toolchain (also available in the download zone, not the Google NDK), the binaries are likely to be portable across a vast number of devices.

I'm happy if anyone finds this useful or even just entertaining.
Buy the full edition to support development, donations welcome on dyne.org

This light xda-dev version will receive no updates and misses binaries for ImageMagick, FFmpeg, Vim fully featured, Emacs, RSync and more ASCII games, all tools found in the paid version.

However, ZShaolin is free open source, all sources are provided on files.dyne.org/zshaolin and github.com/dyne/ZShaolin

Be welcome to hack it and compile your own version.

Kudos to SpartacusREX for the java installer and terminal originally by JackPal.

p.s. don't miss to start the curseofwar game :cyclops: that's quite some ASCII phun

Last edited:

tech128

Oct 14, 2012
Awww man I wanted to be the one to release something like this. Just too busy to get everything polished and perfected.

I was going to release it for free too. Don't see a point in charging for compiling and bundling apps.

I already released what I had for ffmpeg in another thread earlier this year.

It uses dynamic libs too, much better for memory usage.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1016463

Reactions: i_fain

DF5JT

Sep 15, 2010
Vienna
It would be a dream if this included sshfs as well to mount a remote server directory to my Android. The only app available for that has not been updated in a year and does not work on anything >ICS.

Can you help with that?

SUDroid

Nov 4, 2012
After installing the ZShaolin system, how do i uninstall it? Do i just uninstall the app and it will delete the ZShaolin system off my device leaving no traces?

GermainZ

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mode
Aug 3, 2012
After installing the ZShaolin system, how do i uninstall it? Do i just uninstall the app and it will delete the ZShaolin system off my device leaving no traces?

Yes. All the files are installed to the app's storage (/data/data/org.dyne.zshaolin) which is removed when you uninstall it.

Reactions: iamareebjamal

scandiun

Jul 12, 2010
It says:

ctrix: ERROR your terminal is too small (min 80x24)

Attachments

• 307yqf8.jpg.png
    307yqf8.jpg.png
    88 KB · Views: 703
Last edited:

miguxbe

May 13, 2012
Looks great in my tablet (Onda v972) the terminal slide is awesome!, despite its a little bit laggy between transitions. Thanks :good:

dawabz94

Sep 24, 2010
France
hi,

just purchased the paid version from the google play,

any hint abt starting sshd from command line on the device ?

same for lighthttpd please ?

also is it possible to get some imageMagick sample script ?

thank you

quasiperfect

Feb 26, 2012
Jenkintown
Squandering Space?

I did a recursive descent directory listing of the /data directory via a python script I wrote.
It showed 57212 entries under /data/data/org.dyne.zshaolin
It appears that zshaolin duplicated my entire /mnt/sdcard recursively

Can anyone explain why this would ever be necessary?

aaopt

Feb 27, 2011
Pawtucket, RI
I did a recursive descent directory listing of the /data directory via a python script I wrote.

Does your script check for soft links? Just a thought...

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

Reactions: quasiperfect

quasiperfect

Feb 26, 2012
Jenkintown
Not Squandered

It checks now. I don't descend linked directories anymore. My perl scripts
have done that for a long time. But python is still new to me.
The number of entries reported under /data went from 288999 to 78835
It makes a lot more sense to me now. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

hi,

just purchased the paid version from the google play,

any hint abt starting sshd from command line on the device ?

same for lighthttpd please ?

also is it possible to get some imageMagick sample script ?

thank you

I'd kinda like to do that myself. Starting sshd any way at all would be nice. That would give me access through putty to the real linux tools. That would be a serious weapon.

Feb 6, 2013
Hey this is an absolutely fantastic app. Any scripting shell gurus will feel right at home running this is temu with pckeyboard on Andy or over telnet or ssh. It makes android feel very powerful and the author has done some very noteworthy awktastic scripting of zsh modules. I attached a mini version of this app ( 350k ) without the installation package inside. This saves you 50mb after you've already installed the system and replace the data/app apk with this.

Also forgot to mention, this can totally replace mksh in /system/bin and become your system shell. There's enough ksh similarity for all the general scripting, e.g. the print builtin.

Attachments

• org.dyne.zshaolin_mini.apk
    325 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

jaromil.rojo

Jul 22, 2011
Am★dam
www.dyne.org
New 0.9.1 release is out

ZShaolin 0.9.1 out on 9 September 2014

More info about ZShaolin on its website https://www.dyne.org/software/zshaolin

Main new feature is the possibility to connect to ZShaolin via ☞ SSHD from another computer. Just run the helper "z-ssh" in the terminal and follow the simple instructions.

Curl is now present and working along with some more scripting fixes.

Also try "ncdu" useful to explore the directories by size occupation.

Cheers to all GitHub stargazers! https://github.com/dyne/ZShaolin/stargazers

p.s.
Sorry no update yet for the XDA-light version, 0.9.1 is just to compile on your own (docs are lacking behind, I know...) or buy from the goog evil empire :cowboy:

jaromil.rojo

Jul 22, 2011
Am★dam
www.dyne.org
ZShaolin 1.0 just released with Tmux

According to the poll on this forum Tmux is the most acclaimed feature for ZShaolin and so it is now there! Also the annoying surface fling is removed to make it more comfortable to scroll the console history.

This new release 1.0 is coming up on the G market and I'll make an update to the free XDA-light version in the coming weeks.

ciao!

Reactions: sordna

kaefert

Nov 14, 2007
Vienna
Hi there! I downloaded your apk and installed it on an Android Mediaplayer (Tizzbird N1) because I want to use ImageMagick to downscale screenshots that I generate in an automation bashscript before posting it to a webserver.

But somehow I can't find a 'convert' binary in the my directory /data/data/org.dyne.zshaolin/files/system/bin/

UPDATE: Ahh. never mind. found in your first post that you only include ImageMagick in the paid version.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the new thread dedicated to ZShaolin light xda-dev releases

zshaolin-featuring-small.jpg

More information on ZShaolin: http://zshaolin.org

APK download: files.dyne.org/zshaolin/.xda-dev
    works without root - only for ARM based devices

ZShaolin light xda-dev is an unrooted shell of full static binaries of software as: OpenSSH, Midnight Commander, Git and ncdu and of course ZSh now up to version 5.

Most of the above is compiled completely static with my own toolchain (also available in the download zone, not the Google NDK), the binaries are likely to be portable across a vast number of devices.

I'm happy if anyone finds this useful or even just entertaining.
    Buy the full edition to support development, donations welcome on dyne.org

This light xda-dev version will receive no updates and misses binaries for ImageMagick, FFmpeg, Vim fully featured, Emacs, RSync and more ASCII games, all tools found in the paid version.

However, ZShaolin is free open source, all sources are provided on files.dyne.org/zshaolin and github.com/dyne/ZShaolin

Be welcome to hack it and compile your own version.

Kudos to SpartacusREX for the java installer and terminal originally by JackPal.

p.s. don't miss to start the curseofwar game :cyclops: that's quite some ASCII phun
    Awww man I wanted to be the one to release something like this. Just too busy to get everything polished and perfected.

I was going to release it for free too. Don't see a point in charging for compiling and bundling apps.

I already released what I had for ffmpeg in another thread earlier this year.

It uses dynamic libs too, much better for memory usage.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1016463

Yes. All the files are installed to the app's storage (/data/data/org.dyne.zshaolin) which is removed when you uninstall it.

It's just a symbolic link.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone