app2sd self destruct

Search This thread

paulbonner

May 13, 2010
My Eris has been running very smoothly for several weeks with ELB 2.7 with JIT enabled and most of my apps relocated to the SD card. But a few days ago, I started experiencing crashes when waking up the phone or answering a call, and then last night I started getting FCs anytime I tried to launch an app located on the SD card.
The FAT partition works fine, and the EXT partition appears intact when I mount it, but nothing located there will launch.

I've resolved the issue (sort of) by reinstalling the apps I need on my phone, and switching off App2SD, but now I'm wondering what the next step should be. Does this indicate that my SD is dying, or should I try repartitioning the card -- either to eliminate the EXT partition entirely or to recreate it?

LexusBrian400

Mar 22, 2010
Even if you got your Eris on the first day it came out, your card shouldn't be close to "dying" yet. Maybe it was defective to begin with. I'd bet willing to be its not the card. I know a2sd is harder on it, but I just doubt it killed it already.

Copy your apps to PC, reformat SD Card, Copy apps back, and see what happens.

Please report back, I'd be interested to see what happened.

Unheard

Mar 25, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Apps2SD isn't recommended by a lot of the devs for a reason. It causes unnecessary wear on the SD card. SD cards have a limited life span of around 100k cycles. When you access a program on the SD card it doesn't just make 1 cycle (read/write), it makes many during the usage of the program. 100k for picture taking and other standard use is quite a bit, but when an app is accessing the SD card constantly while running 100k is reached very quickly.

I'm going to take a guess and say your card is dying for reasons stated above. Try reformatting as recommended, if that doesn't work, replace the card.

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
The only time this would be a concern is if you moved dalvik-cache to the SD card (as that is constantly updated). When you put an application on the SD card, the data related to the card is stored in /data/data, which is not moved to the SD card (this is why internal storage continues to decrease after you move apps and dalvik-cache to the SD card).

Also, it's 100,000 cycles per block of memory. Most SD cards have wear-leveling technology that helps with this issue, so it will take a while before the card becomes bad (if it is a good quality card).

I would say he has a failing card. It happens once in a while.

Apps2SD isn't recommended by a lot of the devs for a reason. It causes unnecessary wear on the SD card. SD cards have a limited life span of around 100k cycles. When you access a program on the SD card it doesn't just make 1 cycle (read/write), it makes many during the usage of the program. 100k for picture taking and other standard use is quite a bit, but when an app is accessing the SD card constantly while running 100k is reached very quickly.

I'm going to take a guess and say your card is dying for reasons stated above. Try reformatting as recommended, if that doesn't work, replace the card.

paulbonner

May 13, 2010
I followed the advice of several people and repartitioned reformatted my sd card. I decided to go without app2sd for awhile so I just did a single fat partition. So far so good...everything is working again.

-------------------------------------
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone