ApplePie Mini CarPlay AI Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread
May 27, 2021
ApplePie Mini CarPlay AI Box
xxxxxxxx

MOD EDIT: Stand alone YouTube links are not allowed as per Rule 5:
5. Create a thread topic or post a message only once, this includes external links & streaming media.
As a large forum, we don't need unnecessary clutter. You're free to edit your message as you like, so if you do not receive an answer, revisit your message and see if you can describe your problem better. Not everyone is online at the same time so it might take a while before you receive an answer.
  • You can bump your unanswered question once every 24 hours
  • Duplicate threads and posts will be removed
  • Always post in an existing thread if a topic already exists, before creating a new thread.
  • Use our search function to find the best forum for your device.
  • Links to an external source are only allowed if relevant to the topic in hand. A description must be included, no copy & pasting from the original source.
  • Self-promotion is forbidden, this includes blogs, social media and video channels etc. Random links will be removed.

And advertising on XDA is also not allowed as per Rule
11. Don’t post with the intention of selling something.
  • Don’t use XDA to advertise your product or service. Proprietors of for-pay products or services, may use XDA to get feedback, provide beta access, or a free version of their product for XDA users and to offer support, but not to post with the intention of selling. This includes promoting sites similar / substantially similar to XDA-Developers.com.
  • Do not post press releases, announcements, links to trial software or commercial services, unless you’re posting an exclusive release for XDA-Developers.com.
  • Encouraging members to participate in forum activities on other phone related sites is prohibited.
  • Off-site downloads are permitted if the site is non-commercial and does not require registration.
  • Off-site downloads from sites requiring registration are NOT encouraged but may be permitted if both of the following conditions are met:
    A) The site belongs to a member of XDA-Developers with at least 1500 posts and 2 years membership, who actively maintains an XDA-Developers support thread(s) / posts, related to the download.
    B) The site is a relatively small, personal website without commercial advertising / links (i.e. not a competitor forum-based site with purposes and aims similar to those of XDA-Developers.com.)
13. Advertising and Income Generation

Commercial advertising, advertising referral links, pay-per-click links, all forms of crypto-mining and other income generating methods are forbidden. Do not use XDA-Developers as a means to make money.
Hence the YT links have been removed. Please avoid ads & YT links.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob_Sanders

Its nothing ro do with apple. Only utilizes apple carplay functionality of car stereo to give you a different experience. And this is android based.
It has everything to do with Apple. There are officially supported third party devices for Apple phones.... and then there are hack jobs which may work for one Apple update and not another. If the device has the official patent marked CarPlay logo then it is supported by Apple. All else is just a hack job which may or may not work from one Apple update to the next.

Reactions: shaiq123
Jun 18, 2014
Hi, I just got this android applepie UX-999 but I am unable to connect wirelessly android auto with my phone, can someone help ? Thanks

ruriruri

Jul 22, 2008
Only good for navigation, music and videos. Not customizable like true Android.

Pros and improvement from Applepie Gen1
- build in GPS, very good signal
- smaller size
- fixed audio switch issue, I can change to FM radio and back to carplay without unit crash
- fixed screen switch issue, now it goes back to carplay after reverse camera

Cons:
- loads of software issues
- takes longer to boot up, takes longer to connect to wifi and BT
- closed Android OS. Still can't change any system settings, resets to default every boot.
- included launcher is worse than Gen1. Can't even rearrange apps.
- same BT disconnect issue. Still disconnects when you run BT phone app
- custom launcher will stop BT auto connect in the background. Was working in Gen1. Can't set BT in system menu.
- no multitouch

chongman

Nov 9, 2015
It has everything to do with Apple. There are officially supported third party devices for Apple phones.... and then there are hack jobs which may work for one Apple update and not another. If the device has the official patent marked CarPlay logo then it is supported by Apple. All else is just a hack job which may or may not work from one Apple update to the next.
You statement don't make any sense. Apple doesn't make any headunit its up to the car manufacture to purhase the Carplay software license to put in their headunit. Yes, the software is made for Iphones but is plugging in a 3rd party unit hacking? Like I have a MAC book plugging a SanDisk USB drive or USB printer are not license by Apple is that hacking the MacBook?
Yes, they can update the software to disable 3rd party device but what are the chance of car manufacture go all the way to just disable that?

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
You statement don't make any sense. Apple doesn't make any headunit its up to the car manufacture to purhase the Carplay software license to put in their headunit. Yes, the software is made for Iphones but is plugging in a 3rd party unit hacking? Like I have a MAC book plugging a SanDisk USB drive or USB printer are not license by Apple is that hacking the MacBook?
Yes, they can update the software to disable 3rd party device but what are the chance of car manufacture go all the way to just disable that?

It makes perfect sense.

Typically Chinese origin headunits/boxes are a hack. These hacky boxes are NOT certified/approved by Apple or Google. The typically Chinese developer does not pay for licensing.

Apple DO NOT certify these devices and they remain unsupported - use at your own risk.

Buyers of these kanged/hacked units run a risk of their cute boxes suddenly stop working and the developer / reseller never to be seen again - they will however have your money.

Buyer beware! A fool and his money are easily parted.

chongman

Nov 9, 2015
It makes perfect sense.

Typically Chinese origin headunits/boxes are a hack. These hacky boxes are NOT certified/approved by Apple or Google. The typically Chinese developer does not pay for licensing.

Apple DO NOT certify these devices and they remain unsupported - use at your own risk.

Buyers of these kanged/hacked units run a risk of their cute boxes suddenly stop working and the developer / reseller never to be seen again - they will however have your money.

Buyer beware! A fool and his money are easily parted.
What I understand hacking is to modify the existing device like editing the source code/modify hardware so it can function differently. Right now there is no modify to the hardware or code in the software. Like I said before plug in an USB printer made in China that are not certified/approved by Apple to my MAC book is not hacking.
Yes, agree that they will not support in a long term but I don't see Apple will make any effect to stop existing device from working. Maybe to unreleased car and change the software code.

Your telling people don't buy from flea market because they break easily and when you go back to them they usually gone. Only buy from big department store and giant company like Amazon.

Bob_Sanders

What I understand hacking is to modify the existing device like editing the source code/modify hardware so it can function differently. Right now there is no modify to the hardware or code in the software. Like I said before plug in an USB printer made in China that are not certified/approved by Apple to my MAC book is not hacking.
Yes, agree that they will not support in a long term but I don't see Apple will make any effect to stop existing device from working. Maybe to unreleased car and change the software code.

Your telling people don't buy from flea market because they break easily and when you go back to them they usually gone. Only buy from big department store and giant company like Amazon.
Bad analogy. A printer is hardware while CarPlay is TRADEMARKED software, and you therefore must have permission to utilize it from the owner (Apple).... so it is "hacked". Of course, I don't really care about the legal end of it. The point is however, if it is not supported by Apple then it can become useless with something as simple as an Apple update on your phone.

People need to understand that when they buy it.

Reactions: CaioTheBrain

chongman

Nov 9, 2015
Bad analogy. A printer is hardware while CarPlay is TRADEMARKED software, and you therefore must have permission to utilize it from the owner (Apple).... so it is "hacked". Of course, I don't really care about the legal end of it. The point is however, if it is not supported by Apple then it can become useless with something as simple as an Apple update on your phone.

Huk?? I dont want calling out names but clearly you didn't understand my analogy. I am compare my MAC book running macOS = Carplay and printer is the Applepie mini device. Go back and read my post.
My Macbook and macOS are both Apple Trademarks. Applepie mini doesn't have any Apple logo or mark as an Apple product.
Again what does it matter what iphone your running has to do with the carplay stop working? Even if your running Iphone 100 it will not stop the Applepie from working. Go back and read my post why does not affect it.

Bob_Sanders

Huk?? I dont want calling out names but clearly you didn't understand my analogy. I am compare my MAC book running macOS = Carplay and printer is the Applepie mini device. Go back and read my post.
My Macbook and macOS are both Apple Trademarks. Applepie mini doesn't have any Apple logo or mark as an Apple product.
Again what does it matter what iphone your running has to do with the carplay stop working? Even if your running Iphone 100 it will not stop the Applepie from working. Go back and read my post why does not affect it.
You don't seem to understand what licensing and trademarks are all about. Apple doesn't own the printer. You do. That is why it is a bad analogy. Apple however OWNS the CarPlay software and therefore THEY decide how it gets used. CarPlay isn't owned by you. It is owned by Apple and Apple lets you use it... PROVIDED you meet the requirements:

CarPlay
Certification Guide
Copyright © 2016 Apple Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Introduction
The Apple MFi Program requires all CarPlay systems to complete certification prior to mass production.
This document describes the specific deliverables required to complete certification for CarPlay systems. In
addition to the deliverables described in this document, licensees are responsible for meeting all MFi
Program certification requirements.

Overview
For all CarPlay systems, the licensee must perform the following tests and submit the test results to Apple.
• USB signal integrity test
• USB NCM performance test
• Location information test
• CarPlay self-certification test cases
• ITU-T telephony audio quality test
• Siri audio quality test
• Additional tests for non-CarPlay features
In addition, the licensee must supply Apple with two fully functional representative test benches and
CarPlay integration design documents.
Apple will review the provided materials and conduct certification audits. Apple will also perform a location
drive test with the licensee.
Important: It is the licensee’s responsibility to ensure that the CarPlay system is thoroughly
tested and meets Apple’s specifications.
See Development Timeline for a recommended development timeline for CarPlay systems.
See Contacting Apple if you need to contact Apple regarding the steps described in this document.

There is more if you wish to read:

The point is however that ApplePie Mini is not CERTIFIED BY APPLE to work with THEIR licensed software... which IN FACT makes it a "hack".

None of that matters (to me anyway). What matters is that Apple tests all their CarPlay updates with licensed machines like Pioneer, JVC, Alpine, etc... to make sure it all works. They do NOT test the CarPlay updates on hacked machines (like the ApplePie).

So... maybe one day they update CarPlay and ApplePie can't work with that update.

Reactions: CaioTheBrain

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ

good greif... I suspect you're chosing not to get it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Its nothing ro do with apple. Only utilizes apple carplay functionality of car stereo to give you a different experience. And this is android based.

You don't seem to understand what licensing and trademarks are all about. Apple doesn't own the printer. You do. That is why it is a bad analogy. Apple however OWNS the CarPlay software and therefore THEY decide how it gets used. CarPlay isn't owned by you. It is owned by Apple and Apple lets you use it... PROVIDED you meet the requirements:

CarPlay
    Certification Guide
    Copyright © 2016 Apple Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Introduction
    The Apple MFi Program requires all CarPlay systems to complete certification prior to mass production.
    This document describes the specific deliverables required to complete certification for CarPlay systems. In
    addition to the deliverables described in this document, licensees are responsible for meeting all MFi
    Program certification requirements.

Overview
    For all CarPlay systems, the licensee must perform the following tests and submit the test results to Apple.
    • USB signal integrity test
    • USB NCM performance test
    • Location information test
    • CarPlay self-certification test cases
    • ITU-T telephony audio quality test
    • Siri audio quality test
    • Additional tests for non-CarPlay features
    In addition, the licensee must supply Apple with two fully functional representative test benches and
    CarPlay integration design documents.
    Apple will review the provided materials and conduct certification audits. Apple will also perform a location
    drive test with the licensee.
    Important: It is the licensee’s responsibility to ensure that the CarPlay system is thoroughly
    tested and meets Apple’s specifications.
    See Development Timeline for a recommended development timeline for CarPlay systems.
    See Contacting Apple if you need to contact Apple regarding the steps described in this document.

There is more if you wish to read:

The point is however that ApplePie Mini is not CERTIFIED BY APPLE to work with THEIR licensed software... which IN FACT makes it a "hack".

None of that matters (to me anyway). What matters is that Apple tests all their CarPlay updates with licensed machines like Pioneer, JVC, Alpine, etc... to make sure it all works. They do NOT test the CarPlay updates on hacked machines (like the ApplePie).

So... maybe one day they update CarPlay and ApplePie can't work with that update.