• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

ApplePie Mini CarPlay AI Box

Search This thread

Bob_Sanders

Jul 17, 2019
Winnipeg
Its nothing ro do with apple. Only utilizes apple carplay functionality of car stereo to give you a different experience. And this is android based.
It has everything to do with Apple. There are officially supported third party devices for Apple phones.... and then there are hack jobs which may work for one Apple update and not another. If the device has the official patent marked CarPlay logo then it is supported by Apple. All else is just a hack job which may or may not work from one Apple update to the next.

Reactions: shaiq123

ruriruri

Jul 22, 2008
Only good for navigation, music and videos. Not customizable like true Android.

Pros and improvement from Applepie Gen1
- build in GPS, very good signal
- smaller size
- fixed audio switch issue, I can change to FM radio and back to carplay without unit crash
- fixed screen switch issue, now it goes back to carplay after reverse camera

Cons:
- loads of software issues
- takes longer to boot up, takes longer to connect to wifi and BT
- closed Android OS. Still can't change any system settings, resets to default every boot.
- included launcher is worse than Gen1. Can't even rearrange apps.
- same BT disconnect issue. Still disconnects when you run BT phone app
- custom launcher will stop BT auto connect in the background. Was working in Gen1. Can't set BT in system menu.
- no multitouch

chongman

Nov 9, 2015
It has everything to do with Apple. There are officially supported third party devices for Apple phones.... and then there are hack jobs which may work for one Apple update and not another. If the device has the official patent marked CarPlay logo then it is supported by Apple. All else is just a hack job which may or may not work from one Apple update to the next.
You statement don't make any sense. Apple doesn't make any headunit its up to the car manufacture to purhase the Carplay software license to put in their headunit. Yes, the software is made for Iphones but is plugging in a 3rd party unit hacking? Like I have a MAC book plugging a SanDisk USB drive or USB printer are not license by Apple is that hacking the MacBook?
Yes, they can update the software to disable 3rd party device but what are the chance of car manufacture go all the way to just disable that?

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
wombleton
You statement don't make any sense. Apple doesn't make any headunit its up to the car manufacture to purhase the Carplay software license to put in their headunit. Yes, the software is made for Iphones but is plugging in a 3rd party unit hacking? Like I have a MAC book plugging a SanDisk USB drive or USB printer are not license by Apple is that hacking the MacBook?
Yes, they can update the software to disable 3rd party device but what are the chance of car manufacture go all the way to just disable that?

It makes perfect sense.

Typically Chinese origin headunits/boxes are a hack. These hacky boxes are NOT certified/approved by Apple or Google. The typically Chinese developer does not pay for licensing.

Apple DO NOT certify these devices and they remain unsupported - use at your own risk.

Buyers of these kanged/hacked units run a risk of their cute boxes suddenly stop working and the developer / reseller never to be seen again - they will however have your money.

Buyer beware! A fool and his money are easily parted.

chongman

Nov 9, 2015
It makes perfect sense.

Typically Chinese origin headunits/boxes are a hack. These hacky boxes are NOT certified/approved by Apple or Google. The typically Chinese developer does not pay for licensing.

Apple DO NOT certify these devices and they remain unsupported - use at your own risk.

Buyers of these kanged/hacked units run a risk of their cute boxes suddenly stop working and the developer / reseller never to be seen again - they will however have your money.

Buyer beware! A fool and his money are easily parted.
What I understand hacking is to modify the existing device like editing the source code/modify hardware so it can function differently. Right now there is no modify to the hardware or code in the software. Like I said before plug in an USB printer made in China that are not certified/approved by Apple to my MAC book is not hacking.
Yes, agree that they will not support in a long term but I don't see Apple will make any effect to stop existing device from working. Maybe to unreleased car and change the software code.

Your telling people don't buy from flea market because they break easily and when you go back to them they usually gone. Only buy from big department store and giant company like Amazon.

Bob_Sanders

Jul 17, 2019
Winnipeg
What I understand hacking is to modify the existing device like editing the source code/modify hardware so it can function differently. Right now there is no modify to the hardware or code in the software. Like I said before plug in an USB printer made in China that are not certified/approved by Apple to my MAC book is not hacking.
Yes, agree that they will not support in a long term but I don't see Apple will make any effect to stop existing device from working. Maybe to unreleased car and change the software code.

Your telling people don't buy from flea market because they break easily and when you go back to them they usually gone. Only buy from big department store and giant company like Amazon.
Bad analogy. A printer is hardware while CarPlay is TRADEMARKED software, and you therefore must have permission to utilize it from the owner (Apple).... so it is "hacked". Of course, I don't really care about the legal end of it. The point is however, if it is not supported by Apple then it can become useless with something as simple as an Apple update on your phone.

People need to understand that when they buy it.

chongman

Nov 9, 2015
Bad analogy. A printer is hardware while CarPlay is TRADEMARKED software, and you therefore must have permission to utilize it from the owner (Apple).... so it is "hacked". Of course, I don't really care about the legal end of it. The point is however, if it is not supported by Apple then it can become useless with something as simple as an Apple update on your phone.

People need to understand that when they buy it.
Huk?? I dont want calling out names but clearly you didn't understand my analogy. I am compare my MAC book running macOS = Carplay and printer is the Applepie mini device. Go back and read my post.
My Macbook and macOS are both Apple Trademarks. Applepie mini doesn't have any Apple logo or mark as an Apple product.
Again what does it matter what iphone your running has to do with the carplay stop working? Even if your running Iphone 100 it will not stop the Applepie from working. Go back and read my post why does not affect it.

Bob_Sanders

Jul 17, 2019
Winnipeg
Huk?? I dont want calling out names but clearly you didn't understand my analogy. I am compare my MAC book running macOS = Carplay and printer is the Applepie mini device. Go back and read my post.
My Macbook and macOS are both Apple Trademarks. Applepie mini doesn't have any Apple logo or mark as an Apple product.
Again what does it matter what iphone your running has to do with the carplay stop working? Even if your running Iphone 100 it will not stop the Applepie from working. Go back and read my post why does not affect it.
You don't seem to understand what licensing and trademarks are all about. Apple doesn't own the printer. You do. That is why it is a bad analogy. Apple however OWNS the CarPlay software and therefore THEY decide how it gets used. CarPlay isn't owned by you. It is owned by Apple and Apple lets you use it... PROVIDED you meet the requirements:

CarPlay
Certification Guide
Copyright © 2016 Apple Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Introduction
The Apple MFi Program requires all CarPlay systems to complete certification prior to mass production.
This document describes the specific deliverables required to complete certification for CarPlay systems. In
addition to the deliverables described in this document, licensees are responsible for meeting all MFi
Program certification requirements.

Overview
For all CarPlay systems, the licensee must perform the following tests and submit the test results to Apple.
• USB signal integrity test
• USB NCM performance test
• Location information test
• CarPlay self-certification test cases
• ITU-T telephony audio quality test
• Siri audio quality test
• Additional tests for non-CarPlay features
In addition, the licensee must supply Apple with two fully functional representative test benches and
CarPlay integration design documents.
Apple will review the provided materials and conduct certification audits. Apple will also perform a location
drive test with the licensee.
Important: It is the licensee’s responsibility to ensure that the CarPlay system is thoroughly
tested and meets Apple’s specifications.
See Development Timeline for a recommended development timeline for CarPlay systems.
See Contacting Apple if you need to contact Apple regarding the steps described in this document.

There is more if you wish to read:

The point is however that ApplePie Mini is not CERTIFIED BY APPLE to work with THEIR licensed software... which IN FACT makes it a "hack".

None of that matters (to me anyway). What matters is that Apple tests all their CarPlay updates with licensed machines like Pioneer, JVC, Alpine, etc... to make sure it all works. They do NOT test the CarPlay updates on hacked machines (like the ApplePie).

So... maybe one day they update CarPlay and ApplePie can't work with that update.

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
wombleton

good greif... I suspect you're chosing not to get it...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Its nothing ro do with apple. Only utilizes apple carplay functionality of car stereo to give you a different experience. And this is android based.