General Appointment today for unbricking of the UNLOCKED variant.

Search This thread

Jaybone073

Feb 22, 2013
Vidalia, GA.
I guess I'll keep my expectations low since it didn't work for you .. but after download I'll give it a shot
The file is HUGE no doubt
So it is exactly as I thought - they just sent you the TMo package.

Yes theoretically you can unpack/repack the ops, but you need A TON of partitions from the unlocked variant, and I'm not sure that all of them can be extracted out of a device, and also without a full MSMDT conversion I'm not even sure if you still qualify for OTAs.
This topic will remain fruitless until someone persuades a "dre9" package out of them.
Actually my product name is "holi" Andy. I am scouring around for ways to fix the device myself if I can and the tool "claimed' to work by the tech but as you can see it did not work.

biff_train

Nov 30, 2021
The file is HUGE no doubt

Actually my product name is "holi" Andy. I am scouring around for ways to fix the device myself if I can and the tool "claimed' to work by the tech but as you can see it did not work.
someone did say that the tmobile msm tool did work on the unlocked version. (It probably did work, until oneplus just got rid of that capability.)

Jaybone073

Feb 22, 2013
Vidalia, GA.
Holi is the internal name of Snapdragon 480, and it showing in BL just means the OEM hasn't customized this part of the code. Dre8t/Dre9 and 20818/2083C are the real, reliable identifiers.
I stand corrected Andy. And I had a feeling you were beyond dead on accurate. I'm not giving up. I'm going to continue emailing and calling and threatening with FCC complaints to resolve the issue.

Reactions: Dimitrimem

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
No problem, keep at it.
I no longer have an N200 in hand, but I do still hope for a better scene for it. MSMDT availability is kind of a given in the past and I can't quite believe OP won't offer them anymore. If with the shift to ColorOS this worsens even further, I think flashaholics will start abandoning ship.

Jaybone073

Feb 22, 2013
Vidalia, GA.
No problem, keep at it.
I no longer have an N200 in hand, but I do still hope for a better scene for it. MSMDT availability is kind of a given in the past and I can't quite believe OP won't offer them anymore. If with the shift to ColorOS this worsens even further, I think flashaholics will start abandoning ship.
OP being who they are in the past is why folks like us go there. We know to create a backup in TWRP (which scares the beejeezus out of me without a fully functional TWRP to work with). It's why this forum exists. People like to dabble that read, research, read it again, then attempt. They like mods, overclocking, undervolting, extending battery life...you name it. When they realize that taking these measures to become more and more like the flagship companies they used to kill; they will find them in the "sea of sameness" without this community to flock to it.

Since all else has failed at this point, I will attempt to use the OTA file with all of it dumped via payload dumper and rebuild it via fastbootd. That's all I can do. If it gets bricked, they are allowing me an excahnge at Best Buy. If that fails, then I guess I will ship it being it is under warranty and try that route. If I am out 240 bucks then I guess I am out of 240 bucks. But I'd rather have it working.

One good thing did come out of this. People at least got an updated MSMDT they can use. Yay!!

Jaybone073

Feb 22, 2013
Vidalia, GA.
So it is exactly as I thought - they just sent you the TMo package.

This topic will remain fruitless until someone persuades a "dre9" package out of them.
After going round and round with them, this is the final solution they offered via email.

Hi Jay,

Thank you for reverting to OnePlus Customer Support.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. I really wish you didn’t have to go through that.

I know how frustrated you are, if I'm in your place, I would feel the same way, I truly apologize for all the inconvenience, I know how important is to resolve this issue for you.
I completely understand your query. The files are not sent according to the device but the region you purchased the device from. As the region shown in the IMEI number for your device is US region and we have shared the exact file. We share files verifying the details.

I am sorry to inform you as it showed an error while flashing we cannot flash the device again the issue can be resolved only by the service engineers as they will inspect the device and isolate the issue and resolve it.

Thank you for your patience. Please feel free to contact us for any further query.

Regards,
Lorraine Cario
OnePlus Customer Support

And this is my response:

Thank you Lorraine. I know you tried very hard yesterday to make every effort to reflash the device. The tool could have code added to it to offer that support or be able to change the project code. Adding support code to the tool isn't enough. The tool needs to be adjusted to match the OPS file of the ROM. The tool must be able to select the product (or odct) via a menu in the event of a product variable mismatch.

Either that, or the original source code and tool is truly available, but not willing to be released by OnePlus for various reasons. It simply HAS to exist. You can't build a device without it. It makes no sense. As a former developer, making a chipset without a backup of your backup is like rule #0. Redundancy is a must or you'll never survive. Warranty repairs would be extremely high like this, but hey somebody in Texas needs a job, too. I also highly doubt that most technicians either know this, or are asked to "follow the script" and just get them a box to ship it in if they do.

Based on previous experience, companies make their money by sales and even more by service. Keep them depending on you and keep them coming back for more. That's why the Nord Series itself exists, to tap into the "budget friendly" market to move more product lines to the consumer, and thus, grow the base.

I am more inclined to think the correct tool matching the correct ROM exists and OnePlus is simply not ready to, or willing to, part with it via remote session just yet for any number of reasons. There's no other explanation than that. And that's not me bashing you or the remote session team; it just is what it is and you have rules you have to follow. If they say "under no circumstances is this to be released to the public" you do your job and go with the pre-approved dialog when it fails.

May I have a recommendation via this email to show Best Buy so that I may attempt an exact exchange, please? That will be my final request from the remote session and support team. I know you did your best and I know that keeping customers happy is what matters to you. Thank you for all you have done.

Here endeth the thread! Sorry for the double post.

oCAPTCHA

Sep 22, 2021
I sent in a phone a few days ago after having doublechecked that they claim not to have the remote repair files available.

I agree that they have the tool (at least at the manufacturing facility) but are not releasing it intentionally. Most likely, they have agreements with the carriers that they won't allow the subsidised carrier phones to be converted, which would upset their carrier lock-in, allow removal of their bloatware and software restrictions (like tethering throttling). (Jokes on them, we already figured out how to sim unlock and convert the phones without using the MSM tool!) It also could allow the possibility of using phones bought from cheaper regions like India and China, which is a big concern to OnePlus's regional pricing.

I searched the internet and found some older MSM tools that have leaked from Qualcomm. However, the tools all have specific settings for each specific model of phone. I think these newer models have cryptographic security codes for each model of device to allow EDL access. It looked rather complicated, so I didn't research further.
Your phone is only soft-bricked, so it is repairable, but you could also just send it in to OnePlus as well.
Check my other post in the unbricking thread about updating your computer's copy of fastbootd.

Oh, and the 10 in the filename is probably referring to the hardware version 10. When you check under "about phone", it lists hardware version 10.

Last edited:

Jaybone073

Feb 22, 2013
Vidalia, GA.
I sent in a phone a few days ago after having doublechecked that they claim not to have the remote repair files available.

I agree that they have the tool (at least at the manufacturing facility) but are not releasing it intentionally. Most likely, they have agreements with the carriers that they won't allow the subsidised carrier phones to be converted, which would upset their carrier lock-in, allow removal of their bloatware and software restrictions (like tethering throttling). (Jokes on them, we already figured out how to sim unlock and convert the phones without using the MSM tool!) It also could allow the possibility of using phones bought from cheaper regions like India and China, which is a big concern to OnePlus's regional pricing.

I searched the internet and found some older MSM tools that have leaked from Qualcomm. However, the tools all have specific settings for each specific model of phone. I think these newer models have cryptographic security codes for each model of device to allow EDL access. It looked rather complicated, so I didn't research further.
Your phone is only soft-bricked, so it is repairable, but you could also just send it in to OnePlus as well.
Check my other post in the unbricking thread about updating your computer's copy of fastbootd.
I got an interesting response. She actually said your device is only having a problem on the surface. We have rules and policies we must follow and are not allowed to go outside of that. I swear I would have done more if I could but this is the next step in the solution for you.

Here is her exact response:

Lorraine Cario12/09/2021 09:27 PM
Hi Jay,

I completely understand your query. Please be rest assured, I will surely assist you.

Trust me If I had an option to help you with this I swear I would've done that for you as I'm here for our customers and help them with the available options.

This is really not the kind of experience we want our customers to have. However, we have certain process and polices to follow up with. Unfortunately, I can not go against the policy or it can not be changed for any reason.

As I checked with the higher team. I can mention that the device is stuck at a surface and cannot be resolved via remote flashing due to a error in flashing and can be resolved only via repair.

I hope for your understanding and I look forward to your feedback and we will look forward to work with you again! Have an amazing day!

I'm sure you've seen my other posts on what went wrong with mine. I cannot access super partition which is not good. If I could, I already have the necessary images ready to flash in fastbootd

I could really use the help.

Last edited:

Ethanvio

Aug 18, 2021
I got an interesting response. She actually said your device is only having a problem on the surface. We have rules and policies we must follow and are not allowed to go outside of that. I swear I would have done more if I could but this is the next step in the solution for you.

Hi Jay,

I completely understand your query. Please be rest assured, I will surely assist you.

Trust me If I had an option to help you with this I swear I would've done that for you as I'm here for our customers and help them with the available options.

This is really not the kind of experience we want our customers to have. However, we have certain process and polices to follow up with. Unfortunately, I can not go against the policy or it can not be changed for any reason.

As I checked with the higher team. I can mention that the device is stuck at a surface and cannot be resolved via remote flashing due to a error in flashing and can be resolved only via repair.

I hope for your understanding and I look forward to your feedback and we will look forward to work with you again! Have an amazing day!

I'm sure you've seen my other posts on what went wrong with mine. I cannot access super partition which is not good. If I could, I already have the necessary images ready to flash in fastbootd

They use scripted replies .. its clear that the msmdownload wasn't for fully paid/unlocked variant and they just wanted to shut you up ... but with thst being said .. unless you try you can't get the darn thing .. so don't give up

Jaybone073

Feb 22, 2013
Vidalia, GA.
They use scripted replies .. its clear that the msmdownload wasn't for fully paid/unlocked variant and they just wanted to shut you up ... but with thst being said .. unless you try you can't get the darn thing .. so don't give up
I got luckier than most. I know a few folks at Best Buy personally and they are going to allow me to even exchange the device for another.

But I'm with you Ethan. I'm not done here. I'm taking my issue public on their forums. There are too many people in need of this tool and I am planning on continuing the fight for this.

Reactions: Ethanvio

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce

Hi Jay,

not sure what u mean but u cant flash super (meaning super.img) in fastbootd in the first place.. fastbootd is loaded in userspace and can only work with gsi related stuff, basically dynamic partitions i.e. system vendor etc. If you need to flash super.img you need to do it from standard fastboot not fastbootd.

Beyond that, I like how they always say they will help you multiple times while not helping you lmao.. and the term "surface" likely means nothing more that saying theres an issue that cant be repaired remotely lol.. she is likely just someone who responds to emails and creates tickets for ppl with the techs and stuff of that nature.. Which is why telling her details about the tool and what not is probably pointless..

What I dont understand is if your device is the intl model why your imei returns a usa region code.. and y the tech bothered saying it will work when it clearly doesnt work then coming up with some reason as to why it doesnt work.. to me that means it just doesnt work, period lmao.. the fact they wasted all that time even after u specifically told them what device and all you had that they still went through with remote support and all of that tells me the tech likely doesnt know anything about the devices either and was pribably just going based off the model and not anything specific like region and following some guide or something.

If you are able to get into fastboot (normal fastboot, not fastbootd) and bl is unlocked you should be able to fix it no problem.. would just need the stock firmware or a dump of the firmware then flash it in fastboot

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FINALLY got the email with the link to the files I am to download. The email also states that I need WinRAR installed to extract these files. The ROM is also password protected and I'm not about to give that out in the event they change it. I would imagine it is not your standard stock rom. The "driver" is not password protected though.

I took a screenshot of the link to the driver and ROM files. But of course....I'm not going to post these just yet in the event that they are single use files.

Also, I am at work right now and should be done 1230 ish EST and the remote session is scheduled for 3PM. This should give me time to download these files, unzip them, place them on my desktop for the remote session and then copy them directly to a flash drive for later use and download to AFH.

Also, I plan on sweet talking the tech as much as I can to see if I can ask what tools she is using for the session.

BTW:. THIS TOOK CALLS EVERY SINGLE DAY FOR ESCALATIONS FOR 5 DAYS! They realized I wasn't going to give up until I got exactly what I wanted.

EDIT:. The representative also told me the device will be downgraded to Android 10??? I thought the device came with Android 11 out of the box. If this is the case it may be a tool that works from a predecessor. All of this is speculation at this point until the actual session. But noteworthy nonetheless.

Here is the image of the ROM file site. Ran late today at work. And the technician literally emailed me back saying she leaves at 2PM. Ain't that a kick in the head!
    Actually my product name is "holi" Andy.
    Holi is the internal name of Snapdragon 480, and it showing in BL just means the OEM hasn't customized this part of the code. Dre8t/Dre9 and 20818/2083C are the real, reliable identifiers.
    Not sure why you're so excited. The filename indicates it's just an updated version (contains OxygenOS version O.07) of the TMo tool, and the modified date show that it was untouched, i.e. strictly TMo and unflashable on unlocked variant.
    You need to persuade the representative to pass you something that starts with "Dre9".
    I'm not a developer, more like a well informed or advanced user. If they have indeed screwed the pooch here it's going to be on multiple fronts. On every occasion when I've called and emailed OP they have asked for the case number and verified the build I was on, the model, asked for the receipt on multiple occasions and verified the IMEI and model every single time. It's like this dance with them. If the tool hasn't been modded to add unlocked variant support, I would be shocked that they've verified it that many times only to get it wrong and have this be unsuccessful.

As stated earlier... I may very well be a guinea pig for this and one of the first to do this since that.

The plain and simple truth is that we may not know for sure that the update doesn't simply remain the same tool with a line of code added to it to simply add unlocked support.

We simply will not know until the process starts and that will be at 1:25PM EST today.

Please don't take the above statements as me bashing you. I can plainly see by your years here and multiple devices and posts that you're much more informed than I am about this. And I most certainly will ask if there have been modifications to support my specific model before we start. The download count of that updated file was only 13 times when I downloaded the file so it hasn't been widely issued out.

UPDATE: THE TECH CONFIRMED THAT THEY WERE AWARE THAT I HAVE THE UNLOCKED VERSION AND THAT THEY ALSO HAVE SUCCESSFULLY FLASHED UNLOCKED DEVICES BEFORE WITH THIS TOOL. When it was extracted, the tool became MSMV5.19 if that helps. They also logged in via the others in the dropdown box and I can too. I was allowed to keep the tool!!!!

WARNING!!! The technician confirmed that this does work. However, my remote session was UNSUCCESSFUL because the ocdt was a mismatch. Their project number is 20818 and my ocdt number is 2083c. If there was a way to edit that in fastboot or fastbootd or by dumping the file in the update as an image I would seriously flash that and try. I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THAT!
    The tool could NOT complete the update and it will have to be sent in!
    7zip and BreeZip DID NOT WORK - USE WinRar to extract all files and open all files!
    UPDATE: My frustration had gone from high level to now astronomical! I have called yet, once again, to get this device unbricked. I am now being told the device will be handled via a remote session. They will basically connect to my device via my PC and reflash it.

So this now begs the question:

"What do I need to do on my end to secure the tool? "

Maybe I should sweet talk the technician to let me get my hands on the reflash tool. Or perhaps disconnect the session "prematurely" once I see the device is back to full operation and some remnants of the tools will be left stuck in my PC.

My bet is that the files I will be downloading are nothing more than updated platform tools and the full OTA file.

😡🤬😡🤬

However, they did CONFIRM that it will be done via a remote session which is significantly more progress made than others have had at this point so that leaves me hopeful that the tool is going to be utilized. Maybe I will be the guinea pig...
    Ok the fact that the device will be downgraded to android 10 makes zero sense. It didn't come with Android 10 in the box, (like you said) which kinda means that the tool might flash a possibly faulty version of oxygen os 10. (Unless if the representative lied about the Android 10 thing.)
    Edit: the n100 and the n10 came with Android 10 in the box, so slight chance that the tool is for the two phones mentioned
    UPDATED INFORMATION as of 8:45PM EST 12/6/2021:

The files are being downloaded now as we speak. I will post them to AFH but I am not sure how much good they will do.

File 1: L2+drivers.rar

File 1 is small. 1.88 MB and can easily be downloaded. IT CANNOT be easily extracted though. To extract it requires a password and I have been told this password will be input by the technician during the remote session.

File 2: dre8t_10_O.07_211014.tar.bz2

File 2 is MASSIVE (3.24GB zip) compared to file 1 and also takes FOREVER to download. It is directly from a site called obox. It appears to be an Android 10 base file. It also appears to have a build date of October 14, 2021. The site created the download file October 28, 2021. The remaining time for this file being active is currently 329 Days and 13 hours. You can't even log into the site without a password and that was given to me via email. Since the download is coming from China it is slower than a turtle covered in molasses walking in February! It's been hours now and I have just over half the file.

I have been in direct contact via email with my technician and her name is Agnes. but as you can see the header of the zip for the ROM does indeed appear to be for the N200 but Oxygen 10, wherefore Android 10.

So this begs the questions of:

1.) When the driver is extracted do I quick copy and paste it or move it to a secure location? Or do I just assume that they want to make sure I have the correct OnePlus Drivers to make sure the phone can be recognized by the PC? If that's the case, the file and installing BreeZip (because 7Zip isn't properly working with Windows 11 yet) are both an epic waste of time.

2.) If that links me to their computers, how in the name of all things good and holy am I going to be able to get my hands on this tool?

NEED HELP!!! Tell me my next steps folks because I desperately want to assist our community!