• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Apps for Edge part

Search This thread

Kevin_seymer

Oct 11, 2008
Hi!
I will probably buy the S6, but I wonder will it come apps or mods that can use the edge parts of the screen?

As it looks now it will only be used to show contacts and colors. Can it be modified to be used for other apps/purpose?

tft

Feb 24, 2008
its not really big enough like the note edge to be any real use. the contact icons arent even on the edge, they just slide open from the edge.. it's just too small. maybe there will be mods or something for scrolling text or something, but i wouldn't expect to make much use from the edge itself.

DatFrosty

Sep 21, 2014
This is actually an important point to me too.
I can definitely see myself buying the Edge, but if all it offers is the design and maybe contact-shortcuts, I can not imagine paying 100€ more than for the regular S6.

I had around 20 different Custom Roms running on my S4 over the past 2 years, and I loved all the work, features and options that came with those.
If it was an actual "thing" to lay out future Roms for a proper edge-implementation I would highly welcome it.
To be honest, however, I can not even imagine any actual use right now...

David111jr

Feb 5, 2011
I can definitely see myself buying the Edge, but if all it offers is the design and maybe contact-shortcuts, I can not imagine paying 100€ more than for the regular S6.

I had around 20 different Custom Roms running on my S4 over the past 2 years, and I loved all the work, features and options that came with those.
If it was an actual "thing" to lay out future Roms for a proper edge-implementation I would highly welcome it.
i held both phones in my hand today at best buy and after playing with the edge its so much better looking and feels so much better in your hand that i don't know why the even came out with a non edge lol.

Try both before you pre-order or buy one

Reactions: Poetique

WilliamStern

Mar 26, 2010
Miami, Fl.
I wouldn't expect anything groundbreaking if that's what your hopes are? You're pretty much paying extra for looks with that curved glass technology. And to me it looks damn good! Sure, we'll see apps that'll utilize the curve part of the phone, but ask yourself this... What else can be done for it that's not already being done? I can live with the current features, and I'll be ok if nothing else comes out to use with the curve, but that's just me...

Kevin_seymer

Oct 11, 2008
I would be happy with shortcuts to camera, calendar and such, so nothing spectacular...Only basic stuff would satisfy me and I would be willing to pay more and buy the Edge

tenxo

Feb 12, 2006
Ohio
I would be happy with shortcuts to camera, calendar and such, so nothing spectacular...Only basic stuff would satisfy me and I would be willing to pay more and buy the Edge
What you want can be done with pie controls. Albeit not as "edge pretty" but also has other functions. Buy pro and pay less, ha ha.
bc28093e33d10e937443d12b4832b13b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using AllianceR(●)m

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think in time devs will come with apps for the edges.

i held both phones in my hand today at best buy and after playing with the edge its so much better looking and feels so much better in your hand that i don't know why the even came out with a non edge lol.

Try both before you pre-order or buy one