Apps moving to SD card.

Search This thread

Zaphodski

May 5, 2009
After waiting all this time for Froyo I assumed that once it had arrived all of my memory issues would vanish. That has not been the case as many (large) apps (e.g. Google Maps) do not offer the option to move. Any idea when developers are going to update their apps to make use of this feature? Thanks :)

Emexrulsier

Oct 27, 2008
Bit of a silly (well more retarded) question that. There are 1000s of software developers and 100,000s+ apps out there. How is someone going to answer and give development updates on every app and if/when they will support new features..

BelgianAtheist

Jul 10, 2007
plus.google.com
it is indeed the one major disappointment I have with my Desire, maybe even enough to get the Desire HD
You could temporarily delay memory problems a little more by using SetInstallLocation 2 (search for it on XDA) so you can move apps to SD even if they have not been updated but even that does not help a great deal as a large part of every app and it's data still remain on the internal memory.
Or root and install a custom ROM which gives options to move the complete app to SD, but I've been holding off because I don't want to ruin my excellent experience by continuous amazement of new ROMs, flashing ROMs multiple times a day and waiting for new ROMs as I did with my WiMo phone... :D

Zaphodski

May 5, 2009
Bit of a silly (well more retarded) question that. There are 1000s of software developers and 100,000s+ apps out there. How is someone going to answer and give development updates on every app and if/when they will support new features..

Silly ok, retarded....slightly offensive.... The question was a little open ended as I'm not a Google application developer and I was inviting those who may be in the know to offer a positive contribution based on their area of focus. For example a developer working around Google Maps may know when in the software development program Maps will be able to offer an SD card install because that affects their own development?

To assist further besides Maps at 9.6MB these are other apps I have installed that I would like to see on my SD card:

Adobe Flash Player 10.1 (12.4MB)
ASTRO (file management - 4.2MB)
Facebook (official app - 9.3MB)
Gmail (3.7MB)
Handcent SMS (4.6MB)
Vlingo Voice (4.2MB)
XDA (2MB)

These 8 apps amount to 50MB of internal memory. If anyone is developing around these and knows if SD card installation is coming soon can you post asap as I will contact the developers next week. Thanks.