Apps that work on Nook Touch

Search This thread

ryanpl

Jan 11, 2011
Hi, After rooting my Nook Touch I've been trying to find apps that work. It made sense to me if there was a sticky making it easier to play with our new toys so hopefully a mod will stickie this.

I haven't tried any of these yet but Aruangra said they work with Nook Touch:

Opera Mini (There are zoom buttons !. But it cannot access the local host (192.168.x.x))
Opera Mobile (It can access the local host)
Dictionary.com
NewsRob
Kindle
Documents to Go
Dropbox
InstaFetch
Aldiko
ASTRO file manager
SpeedTest.net
PG Calculator
BuzzBox RSS
Evernote
Moon+ Reader (The physical buttons can also change pages !!! and every page is refreshed. No more ghosting issue)
ADW Launcher (Maybe the only launcher that can change background color of Drawer)
Advanced Task Killer (a Must have)
Button Savior (a Must have)
NookColor Tools (a Must have)
Superuser (a Must have)

Rev01 says these work:

working (on restore)

Titanium Backup
Read it later (Pro)
ElectroDroid
RootExplorer
Terminal Emulator
Wifi Analyzer
Permissions Denied
Samba Filesharing
ShoppingList Plus
Wuala
Autostarts
XDA (Premium) (some threads are empty)

Tebra says these games work:
Crimson Fields
Andoku
Four in a Row HD

apeine:
Tried some, but most of them has some level of ghosting:
Working so far:
- Klondike
- Reversi free
- Nemo picross
- GObandroid (to play Go! - very good)
- Super Sudoku
- Klondike free
- Dark nova (used to love Space Trader on my old Treo)
- Repligo and ezPDF. Both allows annotation and bookmarking. Give it a try!

Last edited:

johnclevenger

Jul 20, 2010
Repligo doesn't work, or at least it didn't work for me. It installed, but every time I tried to open a .pdf it would flash the menu to accept the license and then disappear.

ezPDF reader seemed to work just fine.

Reactions: Gig'amsh

ryanpl

Jan 11, 2011
Sync with Google calendar

One of the major reasons for getting my Nook Touch was to be able to sync with google calendar. I was very upset when I learned the ability to sync the calendar was random :mad: until now...

synker allows you to manually sync your calendar and mail.
I also have found that Jorte is a much nicer calendar/planner than stock. :D Both of these apps are free and available on Android market.

Reactions: aknas22 and cymoze
Apr 8, 2011
The greyscale screen on this takes me back to my old M105 palm pilot days! Just for nostolgia, it would be pretty interesting to see some of these old applications revived either through a palm pilot emulator, which does not exist, or developer-made applications inspired from palm applications. There use to be a whole ecosystem of palm pilot applications built for greyscale touch screens (in super-low resolution) with a poor refresh-rate in mind.

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
I had an M100 too, and the way that Palm soft was integrated is nowhere to be seen nowadays (not on standard IOS, Android, etc), maybe only on WebOS. If there was such a family of apps as in Pam, the nook would rock. I'll second Starbux on his request.

ryanpl

Jan 11, 2011
I'd be the third for a Palmish app. I loved my Treo PDAs. I had some programs to this day I'm unable to find a good replacement for.

kaznelson

Mar 6, 2008
White text on a white background is corrected (in preferences - seekbars).

Before and after photo:

Attachments

• img_2225.jpg
    img_2225.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 2,702
  • img_2227.jpg
    img_2227.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 2,544
Last edited:

mocelet2000

Jun 26, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Crimson Fields
Andoku
Four in a Row HD

Hi! I've found this post looking for references to my apps, I'm the developer of Four in a Row HD (it has its own thread here at XDA).

I didn't know about the Nook Touch till now, that's e-ink screen, isn't it? I wonder how it looks there. I suppose choosing the "Plastic" skin (no textures, just vector graphics) and disabling animations in the options menu would fit fine.

I'm really curious to know how it looks in e-ink, could anyone send me or upload a picture or screenshot? Thanks, and enjoy the game!

Last edited:

oldfieldcycles

Jul 31, 2011
google Talk and words with friends

anyone try to use either of these apps? Talk loads but only part of keyboard is shown, so you cannot send messages. my contact list shows up and i can send single words to people as long as the words dont include the letters that are missing.

i loaded words with friends and when i try to load a game or invite someone to play, it says there is a network error. maybe there is an easy fix to this?

other apps that seem to work.
sense analog clock widget
crossword light
google maps

tebra

Dec 8, 2010
Hi! I've found this post looking for references to my apps, I'm the developer of Four in a Row HD (it has its own thread here at XDA).

I didn't know about the Nook Touch till now, that's e-ink screen, isn't it? I wonder how it looks there. I suppose choosing the "Plastic" skin (no textures, just vector graphics) and disabling animations in the options menu would fit fine.

I'm really curious to know how it looks in e-ink, could anyone send me or upload a picture or screenshot? Thanks, and enjoy the game!

Here is a screenshot of your game on the nook touch.
As you can see, it's a lite difficult to see difference between black player and the not used places on the 16 gray level of the e-ink display.

Attachments

• IMG_20110801_101323.jpg
    IMG_20110801_101323.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,238
Reactions: olivierkes

mocelet2000

Jun 26, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Thanks! It looks playable, but I'll look into adding a high contrast theme, not just with colors but with textures/patterns. 16 gray levels, OK xD

Last edited:
Reactions: apeine

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
Thanks, Mocelet2000. I know that B&W tablets are not a "growing" market for Android apps, but your concern shows that maybe it is viable.

mocelet2000

Jun 26, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Thanks, Mocelet2000. I know that B&W tablets are not a "growing" market for Android apps, but your concern shows that maybe it is viable.

No problem, fortunately my game is not about fancy animations, so fixing the contrast in red pieces (haha, sorry, that's black for you) might be easy.

I have a 10" Honeycomb tablet, it is heavy and has too much brightness at night (even at minimum settings). The capacitive screen makes it impossible to write notes or have some precission when drawing. Of course, it's great for all the other things.

A lightweight tablet, with high contrast screen of about 7 inches, easy on the eyes like e-ink (a bit more refresh rate wouldn't hurt...), with resistive stylus, may be even cheap to make and would be the ultimate notepad on the go.

EDIT: a sneak peak of the new theme "Naughts and crosses" designed for black and white screens :) It will appear in the next update of the game in the Market. Since I don't have a Nook Touch, the following screenshot is actually a screenshot from my mobile phone displayed in my ebook reader (quite weird testbed, haha, but it's closer to reality than photoshop).

four-in-a-row-ebook.jpg

Last edited:

mocelet2000

Jun 26, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Four in a Row HD with enhanced grayscale screens support in the Market now, make sure you're installing version 3.3 at least.

Recommended preferences for the Nook Touch in options menu:
- Choose the "Naughts and crosses" skin.
- Disable animations.
- Check "solid black background" box in case the new gray stripes looks bad.

Other skins might look better now also, specially the default metal skin which has textured face. Moreover, the striped default background helps differentiating holes and chips.

If you've found this update useful, please rate and comment in the Market and/or the official thread at XDA, thanks so much! :)

Reactions: apeine and ryanpl

ryanpl

Jan 11, 2011
Mocelet2000, Thanks for helping us out with the new skins. It's great to see developers supporting such an atypical device such as our Nooks. Ryan

tebra

Dec 8, 2010
Four in a Row HD with enhanced grayscale screens support in the Market now, make sure you're installing version 3.3 at least.

- Disable animations.

Other skins might look better now also, specially the default metal skin which has textured face. Moreover, the striped default background helps differentiating holes and chips.

If you've found this update useful, please rate and comment in the Market and/or the official thread at XDA, thanks so much! :)

I tried your last version with your recommended preferences on my Nook but there are some graphical bug on top of the screen.
See picture

Attachments

• IMG_20110803_185047.jpg
    IMG_20110803_185047.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 721

mocelet2000

Jun 26, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I tried your last version with your recommended preferences on my Nook but there are some graphical bug on top of the screen.
See picture

Thanks for the report! It seems the Nook does not clear the canvas as it's supposed to do before each call to the drawing routine.

Anyway, now I paint a big black solid rectangle before anything else, should do the trick. Version 3.3b in the Market now ^^

jrec

Jun 12, 2008
Overdrive (public library ebooks) works

Friends,

Just wanted to let you know that Overdrive works for reading public library ebooks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, After rooting my Nook Touch I've been trying to find apps that work. It made sense to me if there was a sticky making it easier to play with our new toys so hopefully a mod will stickie this.

I haven't tried any of these yet but Aruangra said they work with Nook Touch:

Opera Mini (There are zoom buttons !. But it cannot access the local host (192.168.x.x))
    Opera Mobile (It can access the local host)
    Dictionary.com
    NewsRob
    Kindle
    Documents to Go
    Dropbox
    InstaFetch
    Aldiko
    ASTRO file manager
    SpeedTest.net
    PG Calculator
    BuzzBox RSS
    Evernote
    Moon+ Reader (The physical buttons can also change pages !!! and every page is refreshed. No more ghosting issue)
    ADW Launcher (Maybe the only launcher that can change background color of Drawer)
    Advanced Task Killer (a Must have)
    Button Savior (a Must have)
    NookColor Tools (a Must have)
    Superuser (a Must have)

Rev01 says these work:

working (on restore)

Titanium Backup
    Read it later (Pro)
    ElectroDroid
    RootExplorer
    Terminal Emulator
    Wifi Analyzer
    Permissions Denied
    Samba Filesharing
    ShoppingList Plus
    Wuala
    Autostarts
    XDA (Premium) (some threads are empty)

Crimson Fields
    Andoku
    Four in a Row HD

apeine:
    Tried some, but most of them has some level of ghosting:
    Working so far:
    - Klondike
    - Reversi free
    - Nemo picross
    - GObandroid (to play Go! - very good)
    - Super Sudoku
    - Klondike free
    - Dark nova (used to love Space Trader on my old Treo)
    - Repligo and ezPDF. Both allows annotation and bookmarking. Give it a try!
    i install root explorer in my nook touch but when i wanted to install .apk files in sdcard blocked installations;

install blocked
    for security,your phone is set to block installation of applications not sourced in android market.
    please help me.
    :confused::eek:

Assuming you used TouchNooter here is what you need to do go to your app drawer and click on NookColor Tools. Unclick "Allow Non-Market Apps" and then reclick it. Your problem should be solved.
    Sync with Google calendar

One of the major reasons for getting my Nook Touch was to be able to sync with google calendar. I was very upset when I learned the ability to sync the calendar was random :mad: until now...

synker allows you to manually sync your calendar and mail.
    I also have found that Jorte is a much nicer calendar/planner than stock. :D Both of these apps are free and available on Android market.
    More apps that work on Nook

I found these work on my Nook and they are all free and available through the android market:
    note:

GAMES:

Choice of Broadsides
    Choice of the Dragon
    Four in a line free
    Checkers free
    Four in a row
    Fruits memory kids game
    Chess
    Checkers Pro
    Kids Match'em
    Memory Game for Kids
    Pirates and Traders
    Spider
    Tic Tac Toe
    What Happened Last Night
    Dots and Boxs

APPS:
    Astro file manager
    Bristen Calculator
    Color Dict
    ES File Explorer (allows access to root directories)
    Go Keyboard
    Jorte (daily planner)
    Medscape (alternative for Epocrates)
    My-Cast Weather ( I'm able to see weather alerts)
    OL Notepad
    Olive Office Premium
    Merriam-Webster Dictionary
    PG Calculator
    Synker
    WikiDroid
    and of course the XDA app

- Disable animations.