April Security Patch

Search This thread

whoey

Mar 10, 2010
I only just got my G5 Plus yesterday, went through a flurry of updates, factory reset to start fresh updated and now the April patch this morning for a total of somewhere around 5 or 6 updates... I didn't keep count.

For those bitching about updates... my first Android was a Motorola Defy, I think it got exactly 1 minor update while I was using it. I swore I'd never go back to Motorola because of the lack of (especially security) updates, So I got a Google Nexus 4, which received a few security updates and one system upgrade, but that quickly dried up and they abandoned it as well... so much for those promises, the whole attraction of a Google phone for me was stock Android and updates.

Hoping I fair ok with this new phone, I'm quite happy with it so far, and at least it's on the list for Oreo, but I do think it's nice that security and bug fixes are released in the meantime.

edit: should have mentioned I got the OTA update in Spain

Last edited:

arhncmh

Apr 24, 2017
Anyone facing charging issues after the update? And faster battery drain? Anyway to roll back?

Yes I'm also having charging issues.

My phone now thinks it's connected to a charger all the time based on the notification area icon (has a lightning bolt).

Strangely, when I go into battery settings, the phone doesn't say it's connected to a charger (says "not charging").

Last, I can no longer enable the Battery Saver function.

I've verified that there is no damage to the charge port and there's also no debris in there causing a short.

I've gone as far as clearing the cache and also an factory reset. The issue persists.

pastorbob62

Mar 29, 2013
Springfield
This Moto G5 plus will be my first and last phone from Motorola. I'm never going to buy Motorola phones again. Phone is stuck on 7.0 Nougat forever ?

Why? :confused: It is really the end of the world if a phone doesn't get the latest Android version? If having the latest version means that much to you then wait and buy a phone with the latest as stock. But if Nougat was the latest when you bought your phone what is your complaint? Just sayin'. :confused:

RohitJainWorld

Oct 31, 2016
Kota, Rajasthan
Why? :confused: It is really the end of the world if a phone doesn't get the latest Android version? If having the latest version means that much to you then wait and buy a phone with the latest as stock. But if Nougat was the latest when you bought your phone what is your complaint? Just sayin'. :confused:
I love this phone because it is better than all of it's competitors like Redmi Note 4/5, Galaxy J7 Prime/Pro, Honor 6x, 9lite
It has killer camera.
Portrait shots from Honor 9Lite looks fake.
Moto G5 Plus provide awesome bokeh effect.
It has Gorilla Glass 3 also.
TurboPower with Great battery life.
This is smooth as silk.
Honor 9Lite has oreo but it has the worst UI.
and Motorola's one button navigation is really underrated.
Other Moto Gestures are also very handy.

I know oreo update is delayed because it has 32bit Nougat.
But Unfortunately Google stopped providing 32bit OS after Oreo.
Now their developers have to compile 32bit OS themselves.
If they provide 64bit upgrade then it will wipe internel storage then some people will criticise motorola.
Still we will get update very soon.

If you talk about Nokia
Their smartphones are priced at higher value.
They already charge more amount for software updates. Last year they sold Nokia 6 with snapdragon 430 at ₹16k
Nokia doesn't have wide range of devices like motorola so they can provide update more quickly.
Motorola will have to provide updates to 2016's Z series smartphones also including Moto G4 Plus.

Motorola used 32bit OS because It is more stable on midrangers and it can run 64bit apps also.
They didn't know what google is going to do.

Now they launched Moto G6 Series with 64bit Oreo and Project Treble.
I think G6 series devices will be one of the first midrangers to get Android P.

Last year Moto G4 Plus was one of the first midrangers which got Nougat.

Earlier they were providing security updates quarterly But now they are providing security updates in every 2 month.

I think motorola is still a good brand.

Last edited:

pastorbob62

Mar 29, 2013
Springfield
I love this phone because it is better than all of it's competitors like Redmi Note 4/5, Galaxy J7 Prime/Pro, Honor 6x, 9lite
It has killer camera.
This is smooth as silk.

If they provide 64bit upgrade then it will wipe internel storage then some people will criticise motorola.

If you talk about Nokia
They already charge more amount for software updates. Last year they sold Nokia 6 with snapdragon 430 at ₹16k
Nokia doesn't have wide range of devices like motorola so they can provide update more quickly.
Motorola will have to provide updates to 2016's Z series smartphones also including Moto G4 Plus.

Motorola used 32bit OS because It is more stable on midrangers and it can run 64bit apps also.

Earlier they were providing security updates quarterly But now they are providing security updates in every 2 month.

I agree with you. Dollar for dollar they provide the best value. And the community support for their phones outweighs any shortcomings concerning factory updates. I have owned 3 previous Moto G models and am waiting on my G5 plus to arrive today. I have never regretted owning Motorola and my previous smart phones (Samsung and Huaweii) didn't hold a candle to the Moto's.

RohitJainWorld

Oct 31, 2016
Kota, Rajasthan
I agree with you. Dollar for dollar they provide the best value. And the community support for their phones outweighs any shortcomings concerning factory updates. I have owned 3 previous Moto G models and am waiting on my G5 plus to arrive today. I have never regretted owning Motorola and my previous smart phones (Samsung and Huaweii) didn't hold a candle to the Moto's.
Why did you buy G5 Plus now?
You should have bought G5S Plus or G6 Plus

pastorbob62

Mar 29, 2013
Springfield
Why did you buy G5 Plus now?
You should have bought G5S Plus or G6 Plus
Because that was the phone I wanted, but since you asked. My wife has the G5s plus and I am not impressed with the camera. Also, the display is larger than I want. As far as the G6 plus 64 gig is over $110.00 more than the G5 plus 64g gig. Not to mention that it's not available in the U.S. so I'd have to buy the international version thus no manufacturer's warranty. And the display is larger than I want.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolfcity

Wolfcity

Recognized Contributor
Apr 26, 2013
Moto G 2014
Moto G5 Plus
Because that was the phone I wanted, but since you asked. My wife has the G5s plus and I am not impressed with the camera. Also, the display is larger than I want. As far as the G6 plus 64 gig is over $110.00 more than the G5 plus 64g gig. Not to mention that it's not available in the U.S. so I'd have to buy the international version thus no manufacturer's warranty. And the display is larger than I want.
Here in Germany the G5+ is still more expensive than the 5S+ . (G5+ 240€, G5S+ 225€>) I think for a good reason. I bought it one day after Xmas for 190€ and the next day it was 240€ again).
I wanted exactly this device too, 5,2" is perfect for me and the dual camera of the 5S+ isn't that good.
I'm happy with the Moto stock cam, no need for a modded Gcam imo.
The G6 is maybe an alternative but it's too expensive atm here.
I like this device exactly as it is.

Sent from my Moto G5 Plus using XDA Labs

bazinga137

Feb 22, 2014
I absolutely agree, G5+ is overall better than G5S+ in all the right places. I even had a chance to buy the G5S+ for $20 cheaper than G5+, I still went for G5+.

First off, the cameras. G5+ has incredible camera hardware, snaps pics very quickly, and works better in the dark. Two mediocre cameras won't do better pictures than one good camera. Also the huge shutter lag of the G5S+ is very annoying, and the bokeh software is terrible.
The S+ is better built though, all metal, with a bouncier vibration motor and louder speaker, but I've read on moto forums that a really common problem was dust inside the camera lens, and the battery life isn't as good.

What really made me buy the G5+ was the community support. There is so much more going on on our forums than on G5S+. The chromatics mod, 64 bit roms came earlier, now even treble. Root fixes so much stuff.

Reactions: Singh1992

pastorbob62

Mar 29, 2013
Springfield
I absolutely agree, G5+ is overall better than G5S+ in all the right places. I even had a chance to buy the G5S+ for $20 cheaper than G5+, I still went for G5+.

What really made me buy the G5+ was the community support. There is so much more going on on our forums than on G5S+. The chromatics mod, 64 bit roms came earlier, now even treble. Root fixes so much stuff.

I agree with you. The G5+ was the same price as the G5S+ when I went to Motorola.com. But I opted for the 64 GB version which made it more expensive. However, it was still considerably less expensive than the G6+ on Amazon. And it is fully warrantied (at least until I unlock and root it). Comparing it to my wife's G5S+ I am very happy with my choice, although she gets great battery life as well. In a nutshell, we are both happy with the phones. :;):good:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This Moto G5 plus will be my first and last phone from Motorola. I'm never going to buy Motorola phones again. Phone is stuck on 7.0 Nougat forever ?

It has killer camera.
    This is smooth as silk.

If you talk about Nokia

Just received April security patch on XT1685 (RETEU - Poland). NPNS25.137-93-10 - only 41 MB, so we have to still wait for Oreo.
    There's a thread for that update so no need to open a new one: https://forum.xda-developers.com/g5-plus/how-to/sweet-security-patch-oreo-update-t3781903

First of all, the title of that topic is imprecise (it does not say about the APRIL update but about the "SWEET" update - what is it?!)
    Secondly, there are only 2 posts talking about a possible coming, without any particulars that someone has already received.
    That is why this topic is better.
    No other company except Nokia is providing Oreo update to its midrange smartphones.
    Nokia also sells overpriced smartphones.
    (i.e. Nokia 6) then they provide quick updates.
    Motorola will provide oreo to G Series.
    and G Series is more value for money.
    True. Our device gets regularly security patches, will get Oreo soon, offers great hardware with an almost vanilla android OS for round about 200€.
    It's my second Motorola and it won't be my last.
    The only device coming to my mind that offers good value for that price is from Huawei (Honor) and I won't swap to a chinese device with worse update intervals.
    This is a midrange phone, if someone wants Oreo at once he should buy a Pixel or a OP5. I'm not willing to spend that amount of money.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone