Question Are any "unlocking services" for the Pixel 6 Pro legit?

Search This thread

didymus

Jan 19, 2020
Moto G7 Play
OnePlus 7 Pro
Instead of going back and forth with T-Mobile I'm considering just paying the $100 or whatever to have an unlocking service do it, but I'm not sure if it's even technically possible for services like this to exist. Many seem like scams, but a couple seem legit. Are they "real"?

NippleSauce

Jun 23, 2013
I am not aware of any paid services for this - but I generally do not look into this as I only purchase unlocked devices - so they might be legitimate.

Regardless, why take the chance?

If you have T-Mobile, getting your device carrier unlocked is an extraordinarily easy process. Just check out the guide on their website:

Instead of going back and forth with T-Mobile I'm considering just paying the $100 or whatever to have an unlocking service do it, but I'm not sure if it's even technically possible for services like this to exist. Many seem like scams, but a couple seem legit. Are they "real"?
$100 does seem much... I've seen legit services for here in the UK that unlock for £15 (the equivalent of ~US$20 iirc)

They used to be real (in my experience) because all they need is the key - same as what T-Mo does - so if they got a copy from the factory in China, then services could unlock. There used to be hundreds of them back in teh day on eBay.

However, I haven't heard of it for the P6P and because it's Foxconn, maybe their security is better and key lists are controlled better?