Are cheap Justnavi head-units any good?

Search This thread

DexterMorganNL

Dec 1, 2010
Sorry for the confusing question: but several years ago, I looked for head-units for my Suzuki Celerio as well. It was impossible to find any unit below € 200 and now all of a sudden, the cheapest units are around € 100 including vat.

So I found a unit from Justnavi: as always AliExpress sellers have misleading advertising. They basically advertise an expensive head-unit called QT10, which has quite some nice specs....

-1089835640-1810827808.jpg

But the unit you get for € 113 is called QT1, and only has 1GB RAM: which I thought should be sufficient, because the screen resolution is only 1024x600 and not 1280x720. Although comparing it to my Mi 10T Lite, which has 6GB of ram, than I think it might be bit less.

And of course no Android auto support: but actually, when it doesn't work wireless than I don't see the point of using something like that. Another thing I'm a bit worried about: my current autoradio, has built-in handsfree calling and it works perfectly.

Even though that Auto-Radio is quite simple: it has Bluetooth and a CD player, but at least my phone always connects instantly with the car radio. So the smartphone has been working quite good, for navigation and music ( Spotify ).

I would only probably use such a head-unit for navigation and Spotify: although I have a consideration, about the power consumption? Doesn't a android head-unit drain the cars battery? Yes I know it's being recharge while driving, but I don't use my car that frequently.

TorstenH

Feb 20, 2021
Sorry for the confusing question: but several years ago, I looked for head-units for my Suzuki Celerio as well. It was impossible to find any unit below € 200 and now all of a sudden, the cheapest units are around € 100 including vat.

So I found a unit from Justnavi: as always AliExpress sellers have misleading advertising. They basically advertise an expensive head-unit called QT10, which has quite some nice specs....

View attachment 5654261

But the unit you get for € 113 is called QT1, and only has 1GB RAM: which I thought should be sufficient, because the screen resolution is only 1024x600 and not 1280x720. Although comparing it to my Mi 10T Lite, which has 6GB of ram, than I think it might be bit less.

And of course no Android auto support: but actually, when it doesn't work wireless than I don't see the point of using something like that. Another thing I'm a bit worried about: my current autoradio, has built-in handsfree calling and it works perfectly.

Even though that Auto-Radio is quite simple: it has Bluetooth and a CD player, but at least my phone always connects instantly with the car radio. So the smartphone has been working quite good, for navigation and music ( Spotify ).

I would only probably use such a head-unit for navigation and Spotify: although I have a consideration, about the power consumption? Doesn't a android head-unit drain the cars battery? Yes I know it's being recharge while driving, but I don't use my car that frequently.
If you just search a device for navigation why don't you buy just a navigation device and keep Spotify on the phone? Or buy a good holder for your smartphone and use it as navigation?

Such cheap slow head units are garbage and just stress. Problems which could occur:
- bad instable bt connection
- no or bad internet connection which is required for navigation installation / map updates and active traffic
- bad sound and you will miss your oem radio and its sound experience
- outdated android version (ALL sellers are liers regarding the Android version and the hus are displaying fake information - even on more expensive devices)
- no help in case of failures. The Chinese will never ever help and if you're the one and only user nobody could help you here on XDA.
- bad performance. Navigation and music simultaneously can be a hard job for a low end device. Maybe your music app running in background will be kicked by Android.
- bad GPS module which takes long time to get a fix or is inaccurate.
- bad screen resolution.
- ... 1.000 other reasons but I don't want to write them down.

Just have a look in some of the threads to get an idea which problems users are fighting with. And buy a hu you can find a lot of information here and not an exotic unknown cheap China plastic trash device.

DexterMorganNL

Dec 1, 2010
If you just search a device for navigation why don't you buy just a navigation device and keep Spotify on the phone? Or buy a good holder for your smartphone and use it as navigation?

Such cheap slow head units are garbage and just stress. Problems which could occur:
- no or bad internet connection which is required for navigation installation / map updates and active traffic
- outdated android version (ALL sellers are liers regarding the Android version and the hus are displaying fake information - even on more expensive devices)
- no help in case of failures. The Chinese will never ever help and if you're the one and only user nobody could help you here on XDA.
- bad performance. Navigation and music simultaneously can be a hard job for a low end device. Maybe your music app running in background will be kicked by Android.
- bad screen resolution.

Just have a look in some of the threads to get an idea which problems users are fighting with. And buy a hu you can find a lot of information here and not an exotic unknown cheap China plastic trash device.

- bad screen resolution.

Actually I'm totally satisfied with Google Maps on my smartphone: also I have a good phone holder, and the Bluetooth in the OEM autoradio works perfectly.

But I was just interested in getting an actually head-unit: only I'm not willing to pay € 300 for some unknown AlliExpress brand. I saw in India they often place these kind of head-units, but I guess they pick more expensive ones.

I was also thinking: better having an simple OEM Bluetooth autoradio, without a screen. Than having a cheap Android head-unit. Just I couldn't find much about it....

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
Without posting android system info with MCU version, it is guessing what the unit is, and you're asking others to make a guess.

Sellers sell from a number of factories and make up brand and model names - who knows what that made up brand and model will be.

Finally without the info from seller, and your knowledge about what you actually want to buy, you could get scammed.

My suggestion, UIS7862 FYT based unit type 116

DexterMorganNL

Dec 1, 2010
I'm totally aware of that: but the thing being is, there aren't many head-units for the Suzuki Celerio. The standard OEM Auto-Radio isn't easily replaceable, by an 2din system you could just buy from JVC for example.

So I got limited options, because if I would buy an head-unit: than it needs to fit in my car. That's why I cancelled an previous order, of an Podofo. That was an universal 2din unit, and it was only € 68 in the sale, but I would have to spend at least € 40 more for getting the frame and cables to fit my Suzuki.

Also sellers don't specific mostly which chipset they use: but I did a search at UIS7862, only couldn't find a single unit for my car that really is specified as having that chipset.

Only thing I was able to find: a unit that been sold 7 times, while almost all others haven't been sold once.

€ 146,68 40%OFF | Android 11 Voor Suzuki Celerio Cultus 2015 - 2018 Auto Radio Stereo Multimedia Video Player Navigatie Gps Draadloze Carplay Auto

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
Ask them to send a screenshot of Android system info including MCU.
The good sellers I've worked with will provide it. The ones that don't are rubbish.

FYI, there is NO specific unit for your vehicle. They will sell you generic unit with a facia kit, or the head unit integrated into a facia kit - don't be fooled.

There's no hurry, take your time. If you don't ask for it, prepared to be scammed

People are so easily fooled.

codearm2

Mar 6, 2012
So anyone can recommend any good android head unit for 300-400 usd?
preferable 9 inch

DexterMorganNL

Dec 1, 2010
Ask them to send a screenshot of Android system info including MCU.
The good sellers I've worked with will provide it. The ones that don't are rubbish.

FYI, there is NO specific unit for your vehicle. They will sell you generic unit with a facia kit, or the head unit integrated into a facia kit - don't be fooled.

There's no hurry, take your time. If you don't ask for it, prepared to be scammed

People are so easily fooled.
Thanks, I have asked the seller that. No there isn't any hurry, although I already own this vehicle for more than 4 years. And have been wanting to install a backup camera, but didn't dare to do it as it looks like a lot of hassle.

That's how I keep ending up at these foreign video's, because seemly Indians can appreciate a fuel efficient vehicle. So mostly foreign video's, are what I can find about information.

-8770505772106116247.png

The seller already send these, the T1 has an octa core uis8581a. While the quad core is an ARM7 based chipset, named quad-sl8141e.

-878287384578162326.png

Last edited:

DexterMorganNL

Dec 1, 2010
I guess it must be the weak euro, but I'm finding most head-units a bit expensive. The best I have been able to find is from Owtosin, a TS10 for about € 250 after paying taxes.

€ 83,80 40%OFF | TS10 8Core 8G 128G Android 10 Voor Suzuki Celerio Cultus 2014-2021 Gps Radio 4G Wifi Dsp Voice Control Auto Stereo Dab Head Unit

And I have found PX5 and PX6 head-units, specially for my car. The PX5 is highly outdated, but it's the only unit that looks kinda like OEM radio.

€ 321,88 25%OFF | 7 "IPS 8 Core 4G + 64G ROM Android 9.0 Auto DVD Radio GPS Voor Suzuki Alto celerio Cultus 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 CarPlay Papegaai BT

And than PX6, but these units are super expensive in comparison with the TS10 units I have found. So I might be sticking with my phone, which I will be using with a magnetic holder. In order to have a nicer integration. Although I very much would want a reverse camera.

DexterMorganNL

Dec 1, 2010
I decided to go with an Ekiy D7 unit, it features an Cortex Arm A7 Quad-Core chipset. And also an 720P IPS screen, 2GB RAM/32GB Storage.

Screenshot_2022-07-13-15-58-06-292_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg

It's able to use Carplay and Android auto, so it meets my requirements and is almost half the price of a TS10 unit. Yes I know the device will be a bit slower, but it's only meant for playing Spotify and using Google Maps.

€ 110,65 50%OFF | Ekiy T7 Qled Dsp Android Auto Radio Voor Suzuki Celerio Alto 2014 - 2018 Stereo Auto Multimedia Video Speler 2din carplay Gps Navi

TorstenH

Feb 20, 2021
I decided to go with an Ekiy D7 unit, it features an Cortex Arm A7 Quad-Core chipset. And also an 720P IPS screen, 2GB RAM/32GB Storage.

View attachment 5658483

It's able to use Carplay and Android auto, so it meets my requirements and is almost half the price of a TS10 unit. Yes I know the device will be a bit slower, but it's only meant for playing Spotify and using Google Maps.

€ 110,65 50%OFF | Ekiy T7 Qled Dsp Android Auto Radio Voor Suzuki Celerio Alto 2014 - 2018 Stereo Auto Multimedia Video Speler 2din carplay Gps Navi

You could also buy the frame + harness and look for another head unit:

DexterMorganNL

Dec 1, 2010
You could also buy the frame + harness and look for another head unit:
That's something I have considered before: but it's already € 25 for the frame + harness, while I get the complete unit from Ekiy for € 148 totally.

Screenshot_2022-07-13-17-41-29-795_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg

So buying unit and frame separate, would actually be more expensive as it's also € 150 without frame and harnas. And from all resellers, I found that Ekiy which a working colleague of my recommended had the best bang for buck when going for a low budget/midrange budget unit.

Screenshot_2022-07-13-17-53-18-642_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg

So before I had ordered this unit from Podofo, which seems to be one of major resellers in these cheap head-units. Reason for initially picking this V1Plus was because it claims, to have wireless Android auto....

Something all other units, even the more expensive ones don't seem to have. Also I have no idea, how to enable it with software? I just read about these dongles. Anyway it was like € 70 in sale, which sadly now is $ 70 :(

So I decided to cancel it, also because it's just 1GB RAM and 16GB storage. But the main issue being here: I would have to buy the frame from a another reseller and harness as well. And I didn't find any option, that was cheaper this way.

Ekiy offers as one of the few ones a 720P screen, while all other sellers where offering in this price class the similar unit without Android Auto or Car Play support. And also with a TN screen of 1024x600

And order above € 150 will involve extra custom costs: not only the VAT of 21% but also something, we call import rights in the Netherlands. So a head-unit is a part for the car, which means our customs wants max a 4,5% on top of the 21% and then the postal also wants their share.

These extra costs, would make a TS10 units almost € 300 totally. And if it breaks, than I have € 300 through the drain. Now I only spend € 150 totally. But feel free to share, which budget unit unit € 150 could have been a better deal? I wasn't able to find a better deal. Yes some Arm 7 is 1.6Ghz instead of 1.3Ghz, but it's still an Quad-Core Arm7 so it won't make a big difference.

Below € 150 AlliExpress will already include the 21% VAT, so custom's is already taken care of. Before July 2021 it was different: up to € 23 was free of any import costs, but above that amount you where always in for a suprise.

So I find the current method fairer. Also less cheating the customs.... before AlliExpress sellers, would just put like $ 50 on the customs declaration, but now that's impossible. Often customs would be fooled by this, but sometimes they would want to see the bill anyway and that would cause delays of the delivery.

TorstenH

Feb 20, 2021
That's something I have considered before: but it's already € 25 for the frame + harness, while I get the complete unit from Ekiy for € 148 totally.

View attachment 5658537

So buying unit and frame separate, would actually be more expensive as it's also € 150 without frame and harnas. And from all resellers, I found that Ekiy which a working colleague of my recommended had the best bang for buck when going for a low budget/midrange budget unit.

View attachment 5658563

So before I had ordered this unit from Podofo, which seems to be one of major resellers in these cheap head-units. Reason for initially picking this V1Plus was because it claims, to have wireless Android auto....

Something all other units, even the more expensive ones don't seem to have. Also I have no idea, how to enable it with software? I just read about these dongles. Anyway it was like € 70 in sale, which sadly now is $ 70 :(

So I decided to cancel it, also because it's just 1GB RAM and 16GB storage. But the main issue being here: I would have to buy the frame from a another reseller and harness as well. And I didn't find any option, that was cheaper this way.

Ekiy offers as one of the few ones a 720P screen, while all other sellers where offering in this price class the similar unit without Android Auto or Car Play support. And also with a TN screen of 1024x600

And order above € 150 will involve extra custom costs: not only the VAT of 21% but also something, we call import rights in the Netherlands. So a head-unit is a part for the car, which means our customs wants max a 4,5% on top of the 21% and then the postal also wants their share.

These extra costs, would make a TS10 units almost € 300 totally. And if it breaks, than I have € 300 through the drain. Now I only spend € 150 totally. But feel free to share, which budget unit unit € 150 could have been a better deal? I wasn't able to find a better deal. Yes some Arm 7 is 1.6Ghz instead of 1.3Ghz, but it's still an Quad-Core Arm7 so it won't make a big difference.

Below € 150 AlliExpress will already include the 21% VAT, so custom's is already taken care of. Before July 2021 it was different: up to € 23 was free of any import costs, but above that amount you where always in for a suprise.

So I find the current method fairer. Also less cheating the customs.... before AlliExpress sellers, would just put like $ 50 on the customs declaration, but now that's impossible. Often customs would be fooled by this, but sometimes they would want to see the bill anyway and that would cause delays of the delivery.
Then have fun 🕺 with Ekiy.

DexterMorganNL

Dec 1, 2010
Then have fun 🕺 with Ekiy.
Sure I will try to report my findings, as soon as I receive the unit: my colleague already offered to help. I'm considering making perhaps a YouTube video, but I guess the audience wouldn't be big enough.

Basically the warranty on these units is like 3 months, so if it breaks within that time you can still make a dispute on AlliExpress. After that it all depends on the seller.

( It's already ordered and on it's way, so no point to search futher anyway. )