• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Are custom roms for Galaxy S9 worth it in 2021??

Search This thread

QuanNguyen1302

Sep 9, 2015
Ho Chi Minh City
I'm having a Galaxy S9 using Exynos chip. My phone's running kinda slow lately, ram optimization is really bad (I'm using Facebook, accidentally press the home button, and when I go back into the app, it's already closed, or the music app sometime quit itself while playing)

So i'm wondering if custom roms are worth to install in 2021 or not since I will lose Samsung Pay, Samsung Pass, and probably Iris scanner too if I decide to go for it

Linusrg1

Dec 19, 2017
Samsung Galaxy S9
AOSP is really fast on the s9 I run it all the time. There is also the Noble project that brings one ui 3.1 to the s9 and it is surprisingly responsive. But if you want to actually keep more that one and a half apps in ram, I'd recommend AOSP as it has great ram management. And crDroid is decent if you want customizability. Though it isn't as customizable as one ui. So I'd say go for it just use an aosp rom imo. Some apps have issues with custom roms though keep that in mind.

QuanNguyen1302

Sep 9, 2015
Ho Chi Minh City
AOSP is really fast on the s9 I run it all the time. There is also the Noble project that brings one ui 3.1 to the s9 and it is surprisingly responsive. But if you want to actually keep more that one and a half apps in ram, I'd recommend AOSP as it has great ram management. And crDroid is decent if you want customizability. Though it isn't as customizable as one ui. So I'd say go for it just use an aosp rom imo. Some apps have issues with custom roms though keep that in mind.
Thank you for your advice! I just keep thinking over and over again about rooting, installing stock rom,... not because I'm scare, it's because of knox lol

3mel

Aug 23, 2012
London
just to complicate your choices there's also GSIs to consider too. a lot more work and research before and after flashing to finally get right how you want it but I hear very good things.

maybe look for other S9 Exynos users running a GSI for a better low down.

Linusrg1

Dec 19, 2017
Samsung Galaxy S9
just to complicate your choices there's also GSIs to consider too. a lot more work and research before and after flashing to finally get right how you want it but I hear very good things.

dont use a gsi features of the phone dont work afterwards (or at least auto brightness doesnt) full rom have been and are always the way to go.

3mel

Aug 23, 2012
London
dont use a gsi features of the phone dont work afterwards (or at least auto brightness doesnt) full rom have been and are always the way to go.
losing adaptive brightness doesn't sound like a huge sacrifice to me. far more needed work on newer phones and if you join phhuson's telegram, within reason he tries to patch errors effecting all users on a device.

Linusrg1

Dec 19, 2017
Samsung Galaxy S9
losing adaptive brightness doesn't sound like a huge sacrifice to me. far more needed work on newer phones and if you join phhuson's telegram, within reason he tries to patch errors effecting all users on a device.
Oh that's cool I didn't know there was someone that did that. For me I sometimes get bothered if the brightness is isnt almost as perfect as it can be for a certain situation which is why I like a automated system to do it for me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thank you for your advice! I just keep thinking over and over again about rooting, installing stock rom,... not because I'm scare, it's because of knox lol
    yah you'll loose that, but no AOSP roms even use it or need it anyways. Jus remember that if you go back to stock alot of samsung apps might be broken.
    That's why I'm considering haha. Is it worth it to trip knox and install custom rom??
    Well alot of samsung services can be replaced with google services tbh. And as long as you dont root, you should be fine.
    Well alot of samsung services can be replaced with google services tbh. And as long as you dont root, you should be fine.
    Well maybe you right. I'm using a Macbook anyway, so apps like Samsung Pass, Health are useless