Are hydrogel screen protectors as good as tempered glass screen protectors?

Search This thread

droident

Dec 23, 2010
Redmi K20 Pro
Same i also never like glass protector 1st i try black border one but they also cover some part of screen then 2nd time try fully transparent one but on that facing fingerprint issue, Thinking to buy now hydrogel for now
Not had any issues with fingerprint on the hydrogel but I've noticed fingerprint unlock with this phone is in general a bit slower than what I was used to with a dedicated FP reader. I always set up at least two fingerprints per finger.

I'd say order a few and give them a go; they're better than nothing. If you're new to AliExpress you can get a pack for $0.01 (or equivalent in whichever currency you use) with some vendors as a new user offer. The only issue is waiting for snail mail from China. Get at least 2 in case the first install gets botched; and watch a YouTube video first.

I'd say don't expect too much from the hydrogel protectors - they're not as clear as glass and they do "sparkle" a little - or at least the one I have. They probably won't stand up to a drop on concrete in the same way a glass protector will buffer the impact even if it smashes (in fact, they'll likely offer you close to zero drop protection - manufacturers still make some pretty wild claims) but you'll have piece of mind that any sharp scrapes won't reach the original panel. It should also protect the original oleophobic coating from wearing off too.

Glass screen protectors have saved my screen many a time so it's a shame they're not good on the Mi9t/K20; I think they've saved my previous phones from some nasty scrapes with keys and small drops which would have, at a bare minimum, soiled the gorilla glass underneath if I hadn't had them fitted.

You can actually use both hydrogel and glass if you happen to find a glass protector that fits the curvature of the phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: abhimukesh25

droident

Dec 23, 2010
Redmi K20 Pro
Holy crap there's a lot of misinformation here... Glass screen protectors vs others offer the LEAST impact resistance of all screen protectors

I'm sorry but your statement is entirely the wrong way round; you're actually misleading people under the guise of misinformation.

As the link above demonstrates glass protectors offer the most protection (yes, they shatter but provide a buffer); wet application protectors are indistinguishable to using no protection when it comes to impacts.

You'll find the same results repeated endlessly in any independent test. Your story points to existing impact resistance of gorilla glass - which is considerable.

Hope no offense is taken - but I just want to shutdown claims of wet application screen protectors being superior to tempered glass protectors. If I don't speak up there's a real risk of people getting a false sense of security with wet application protectors.

I'd also recommend exercising caution with wet application screen protectors. It's already widely known that the alcoholic wipes supplied with many protector products strip away oleophobic coatings on touchscreens pretty efficiently (you should never, ever use one if you don't know what's in it).

Last edited:
Reactions: jgordon5

abhimukesh25

Nov 12, 2010
Mumbai
Not had any issues with fingerprint on the hydrogel but I've noticed fingerprint unlock with this phone is in general a bit slower than what I was used to with a dedicated FP reader. I always set up at least two fingerprints per finger.

I'd say order a few and give them a go; they're better than nothing. If you're new to AliExpress you can get a pack for $0.01 (or equivalent in whichever currency you use) with some vendors as a new user offer. The only issue is waiting for snail mail from China. Get at least 2 in case the first install gets botched; and watch a YouTube video first.

I'd say don't expect too much from the hydrogel protectors - they're not as clear as glass and they do "sparkle" a little - or at least the one I have. They probably won't stand up to a drop on concrete in the same way a glass protector will buffer the impact even if it smashes (in fact, they'll likely offer you close to zero drop protection - manufacturers still make some pretty wild claims) but you'll have piece of mind that any sharp scrapes won't reach the original panel. It should also protect the original oleophobic coating from wearing off too.

Glass screen protectors have saved my screen many a time so it's a shame they're not good on the Mi9t/K20; I think they've saved my previous phones from some nasty scrapes with keys and small drops which would have, at a bare minimum, soiled the gorilla glass underneath if I hadn't had them fitted.

You can actually use both hydrogel and glass if you happen to find a glass protector that fits the curvature of the phone.

Thanks for all the information i'll buy hydrogel from Aliexpress as with glass protector i have very strange issue with Fingerprint...

crzykiller

Sep 20, 2012

I'm sorry but your statement is entirely the wrong way round; you're actually misleading people under the guise of misinformation.

As the link above demonstrates glass protectors offer the most protection (yes, they shatter but provide a buffer); wet application protectors are indistinguishable to using no protection when it comes to impacts.

You'll find the same results repeated endlessly in any independent test. Your story points to existing impact resistance of gorilla glass - which is considerable.

Hope no offense is taken - but I just want to shutdown claims of wet application screen protectors being superior to tempered glass protectors. If I don't speak up there's a real risk of people getting a false sense of security with wet application protectors.

I'd also recommend exercising caution with wet application screen protectors. It's already widely known that the alcoholic wipes supplied with many protector products strip away oleophobic coatings on touchscreens pretty efficiently (you should never, ever use one if you don't know what's in it).

Ok normally I dont get into arguments on XDA but that video is showcasing a product I'm not even talking about. That video is showing a Liquid "Nano" screen protector that tells you it's installing a super thing layer of God knows what to protect your screen. Those are total crap and do not work whatsoever and should be illegal as they are 100% false advertising. Those are not wet application screen protectors.

What I'm talking about are the thick orange peel like screen protectors Kinda like the old Zagg screen protectors. Not the liquid stuff. And that's what hydrogel is, not what you showed. Those screen protectors are Clear Plex which is the exact same material used on Military grade bullet proof glass to hold the shattered pieces of thick Polycarbonate and glass pieces in place. Nothing in your everyday life can get through it. They are the only approved screen protectors for devices used on the ISS... Before telling me I'm wrong and saying I'm spreading misinformation, at least do your own research. Glass screen protectors are good especially new ones as they have an integrated layer of Chinese made clear Plex but it isn't as close to as good as 3M Clear Plex.
Clear plex is used on racing vehicles to protect the glass from getting chips and cracks from rocks and pebbles flying at equivalent 200km/h. Enough said. Please don't try to educate someone on something they know a lot more about than you do.

droident

Dec 23, 2010
Redmi K20 Pro
What I'm talking about are the thick orange peel like screen protectors Kinda like the old Zagg screen protectors. Not the liquid stuff. And that's what hydrogel is, not what you showed. Those screen protectors are Clear Plex

the best screen protectors are those wet Application gel type screen protectors

So you mean Clear Plex screen protectors, that's fine but you should make that clear/clarify. Most people assume wet application gel screen protectors to be... wet application screen protectors. Clear Plex is different and you didn't mention that until now.

And I'm not seeking to argue with you just clear up confusion :cowboy:. I'd rather not annoy anyone; I'm just trying to exercise concern over these liquid screen protectors you also talk of; I'd rather not anyone end up with a smashed screen as a result of them; ergo, my previous post comes from a place of good intention.

Last edited:

Shaz96

Nov 27, 2019
I've just put Nillkin 2.5D glass on top of hydrogel one and the Ringke case accepted it[emoji16]

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

Bro...mind leaving links to all 3 items you mentioned please?

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

Ok normally I dont get into arguments on XDA but that video is showcasing a product I'm not even talking about. That video is showing a Liquid "Nano" screen protector that tells you it's installing a super thing layer of God knows what to protect your screen. Those are total crap and do not work whatsoever and should be illegal as they are 100% false advertising. Those are not wet application screen protectors.

What I'm talking about are the thick orange peel like screen protectors Kinda like the old Zagg screen protectors. Not the liquid stuff. And that's what hydrogel is, not what you showed. Those screen protectors are Clear Plex which is the exact same material used on Military grade bullet proof glass to hold the shattered pieces of thick Polycarbonate and glass pieces in place. Nothing in your everyday life can get through it. They are the only approved screen protectors for devices used on the ISS... Before telling me I'm wrong and saying I'm spreading misinformation, at least do your own research. Glass screen protectors are good especially new ones as they have an integrated layer of Chinese made clear Plex but it isn't as close to as good as 3M Clear Plex.
Clear plex is used on racing vehicles to protect the glass from getting chips and cracks from rocks and pebbles flying at equivalent 200km/h. Enough said. Please don't try to educate someone on something they know a lot more about than you do.

Can you please recommend one then? The best hydrogel screen protector for this phone?

ishaqtkr

Oct 14, 2014
OnePlus Nord 2 5G

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

There is no comparison between tempered glass and hydrogel. I have hydrogel installed on the back and tempered glass on the front. Hydrogel can save you from minor scratches but it is soft and you simply can't use this in the front after a couple of days.
    Holy crap there's a lot of misinformation here... Glass screen protectors vs others offer the LEAST impact resistance of all screen protectors, this is due to the glass being easily shattered and displaced under a fall
    so the surface causing the damage (concrete, ceramic) will come into direct contact with the display glass shattering it too. Plasticc screen protectors are almost as bad but the best screen protectors are those wet Application gel type screen protectors you can get at best buy by either their home brand or Zagg. My brother works there and some guy took an iPhone and smashed it with the in house screen protector on like 30 times as hard as he can on the corner of a metal table. The phone started to bend before it even had any damage done to the screen. It did crack the screen eventually as well, he was smashing it with full freaking force. However a glass screen protector would not have protected against that whatsoever.

And I'm an avid glass screen protector user. Not because of the protection, but because of the feel. Glass will always feel superior to film/gel screen protectors and still does protect a bit when it comes to scratches. Since I rarely drop my phone I don't need the indestructible gel screen protectors
    Which Nillkin glass you have? I have Ringke Fusion-X case and I wonder will Nillkin CP+ Max be compatible with that case or it will lift?
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/2X84hEoY Screenshot_2019-11-13-07-49-00-681_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk
    Same i also never like glass protector 1st i try black border one but they also cover some part of screen then 2nd time try fully transparent one but on that facing fingerprint issue, Thinking to buy now hydrogel for now