• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Are the haptics good quality and is under screen fingerprint sensor reliable?

Search This thread

litetaker

Dec 2, 2011
London
Google Pixel 2
Hi all, I still have a Google Pixel 2 and I am looking to upgrade my phone for a long time! I tried the Samsung Galaxy A52 5G earlier this year. But unfortunately, it had a few issues such as: (1) under screen optical fingerprint sensor was very unreliable and often did not register my fingerprint, (2) the vibration motor was very low quality and it did not have the good quality snappy haptics feel of more premium phones like my Pixel 2. It felt so cheap. And (3) audio quality in phone calls was bad. There was too much noise and crackling sounds in phone calls.

So, I returned the A52 5G. Now, looking at the Nord 2, I am quite excited. I really hope this phone is great! Does it have the same issues as I mentioned above about the Galaxy A52 5G? Specifically, does it have a bad vibration motor or a good vibration motor like in a premium phone? Secondly, is the under screen optical fingerprint sensor good? Or is it finicky and do you need to place your finger multiple times to register a fingerprint? And is the call quality good?

Please let me know so that I can make a good decision regarding this purchase. Thanks!

Pouic

Aug 9, 2010
Haptic feel is excellent but the noise the motor makes can be irritating for some people

Under screen fingerprint sensor is okay, sometimes it fails but not very often (i'd say 5-10% of the time). Compared to other phones it's not the best but by far it's not the worst. And it's extremelly quick to scan when finger is correctly applied.

Call quality and noise cancellation is very good if you have good signal.

litetaker

Dec 2, 2011
London
Google Pixel 2
Haptic feel is excellent but the noise the motor makes can be irritating for some people

Under screen fingerprint sensor is okay, sometimes it fails but not very often (i'd say 5-10% of the time). Compared to other phones it's not the best but by far it's not the worst. And it's extremelly quick to scan when finger is correctly applied.

Call quality and noise cancellation is very good if you have good signal.
Hi Pouic, thanks for the quick reply! That is good to know. What do you mean by the motor making a lot of noise? And does the haptics feel very precise or is it very muddied like some very vague and strong vibration? Essentially what I am trying to figure out is if the haptics feel very gentle and precise like the vibration of an iPhone or premium Android phones. The Samsung A52 5G had a very bad vibration motor.

And I guess it is to be expected with under screen fingerprint sensors unfortunately. And good to know that call quality is good.

I wanted to know what other accessories OnePlus provides in the box. Does it come with a screen protector and case? And if I were to buy this phone would you recommend the 8 GB RAM model or the 12 GB RAM model? I feel 12 GB is too much but I am not sure.

Pouic

Aug 9, 2010
The noise of the motor is audible and coming from an older phone or budget phone you'll find the noise very pleasant or very irritating, personally I like the noise , it's very sharp and high pitched like if it was coming from the speaker. I had previously the Oneplus 5 and haptic feedback was not great att all (like your A52 I suppose.)
Haptic is very precise, I use the Swiftkey keyboard and set the keypress vibration at 20ms and it's very nice to type text with it.

In the box I received a screen protector (already applied on screen) but it's a very simple plastic protector, it does the job but unlike glass screen protector it is very prone to dust and scratches. Also it comes with a bulky transparent cover (I already ordered another more slim and black) and a pair of wired usb-c earphones

I have the 8Gb/128Gb and even with a lot of apps opened ram management is very good. But if you want a lot of storage you have to go to the 12Gb/256Gb version since there is no option with 8/256 .

Ajois

Aug 18, 2021
The noise of the motor is audible and coming from an older phone or budget phone you'll find the noise very pleasant or very irritating, personally I like the noise , it's very sharp and high pitched like if it was coming from the speaker. I had previously the Oneplus 5 and haptic feedback was not great att all (like your A52 I suppose.)
Haptic is very precise, I use the Swiftkey keyboard and set the keypress vibration at 20ms and it's very nice to type text with it.

In the box I received a screen protector (already applied on screen) but it's a very simple plastic protector, it does the job but unlike glass screen protector it is very prone to dust and scratches. Also it comes with a bulky transparent cover (I already ordered another more slim and black) and a pair of wired usb-c earphones

I have the 8Gb/128Gb and even with a lot of apps opened ram management is very good. But if you want a lot of storage you have to go to the 12Gb/256Gb version since there is no option with 8/256 .
Hi Pouic! Glad to know these things. I myself use swiftkey will checkout your tweak. I'm also looking for a good cover can you share link of the one you ordered?

Pouic

Aug 9, 2010
Hi Pouic! Glad to know these things. I myself use swiftkey will checkout your tweak. I'm also looking for a good cover can you share link of the one you ordered?

I received this one this week : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003069040262.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7e8c4c4dcAhFP8

Very basic (and cheap) but it does the trick, a bit slippery tho but I can live with that since it's a little bit thinner that the original one

Also I have this one still delivery pending : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001710885495.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7e8c4c4dcAhFP8

Reactions: Ajois

flipp0

Jun 2, 2013
Haptics is very good on Nord 2. Much stronger feedback when typing compared to Nord 1. Also better than Poco F3. I like it a lot.

LeDiable

Feb 18, 2010
Mumbai

Haha I LOVE Noisy vibrations, reminiscent of the old Nokia 3310/6510/8310 days. Man truly, those were the days :'(

Ajois

Aug 18, 2021

Top Liked Posts