Are there any heavy duty cases with a built-in screen protector?

Search This thread

SubyWill

Mar 13, 2010
Orlando, Florida
I've been using a heavy duty case with built-in screen protector on my phones for the last few years. Because of the nature of my work having the screen protector built into the case is important, I only use the case at work and I hate using stick on screen protectors on my phones since they're not needed for normal use. I've been trying to find a heavy duty case with built-in screen protector for the S8+ but they all come without the screen protector, I'd guess it's because of the curved screen. Does anyone know if there will eventually be versions that come with the screen protector? Or if there are some cases with the screen protector that I haven't found yet?

rudyo78427

Mar 13, 2013
san jose
I've been using a heavy duty case with built-in screen protector on my phones for the last few years. Because of the nature of my work having the screen protector built into the case is important, I only use the case at work and I hate using stick on screen protectors on my phones since they're not needed for normal use. I've been trying to find a heavy duty case with built-in screen protector for the S8+ but they all come without the screen protector, I'd guess it's because of the curved screen. Does anyone know if there will eventually be versions that come with the screen protector? Or if there are some cases with the screen protector that I haven't found yet?

Lifeproof has their case and it's waterproof, but expensive @ $80! Also, you can look at the Love Mei cases and can buy them from ebay or amazon. :good:

http://www.lovemeicase.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=87_207

Reactions: SubyWill

thedicemaster

May 10, 2009
I have good experiences with love mei powerful and otterbox defender cases on past phones.

the otterbox defender is a plastic hard case with an additional silicone case wrapped around it, and an integrated plastic screen protector.
the otterbox usually also comes with a clip that can be used as a holster or kickstand.

the love mei powerful is basicly a DIY kit for making your phone an "active" model.
it's a metal case with a silicone bumper sandwiched between the front and back plates, held together by screws.
the screen protector is glass glued to the front metal plate, and all holes are covered or sealed to offer basic splash and dust resistance.

if you're looking for a case you only use for work and take off at home i'd recommend the otterbox, it's the easiest to take off.

jpinks

Nov 2, 2010
Otterbox Defender doesnt have a built in screen protector!!! Per Otterbox website

mrspock08

Jul 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
the otterbox defender is a plastic hard case with an additional silicone case wrapped around it, and an integrated plastic screen protector.
the otterbox usually also comes with a clip that can be used as a holster or kickstand.

if you're looking for a case you only use for work and take off at home i'd recommend the otterbox, it's the easiest to take off.

I have the otterbox defender for the S8 (not the +). I can confirm that the otterboxes for both the S8 and S8+ DO NOT have built in screen protectors. While every previous versions of these cases did, and they gave no indication prior to the release date of the phone that they wouldn't (including on their website when they started shipping them, I preordered mine when I ordered my S8), the new version "is screenless to allow full use of the curved screen", and otterbox tells you to buy one of their alpha glass screen protectors at $50/pop if you want a screen protector.

If you check Otterbox's website you'll see the myriad of 1-star reviews for their S8 cases over this issue, as they basically bait-and-switched everyone who preordered the Defender, and are now saying "Give us more money to have your screen protected."

I'd steer clear of the Otterbox for that reason. If you don't need the holster, the Lifeproof is probably your best way to go. If you do need the holster... Well then, I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps an Otterbox with an added screen protector, though the ones I've tried don't fit well. Or get the Lifeproof and add a belt clip to it. The one Lifeproof sells has some mixed reviews, but you can probably aftermarket add one that would work, or just use an old fashioned holster-type slip case.

bigj0110

Aug 25, 2011
South Florida
Anyone can recommend me any cases for the S8, with a built in screen protector? All the ones you mentioned here are not released yet. Plus I've done research before the S8 released, and the day the S8 released, and I was unable to find any cases with a built in screen protector, that wss already released. All the info I can get is greatly appreciated!

bigj0110

Aug 25, 2011
South Florida

I just came across Punkcases this morning. They have a few different versions of cases. One of them has a built in screen protector, and is certified water, snow and dustproof, and also military grade. I just purchased mine this morning a few minutes ago. I thought I would share here, since you're also in need of a case with the built in screen protector.

The reviews on their website, for this specific case, seems to be very good. I have yet to try one out myself though. But as soon as I receive mine I will let you know how it is. I chose expedited shipping when I ordered this morning. By the way, I already broke my S8 while in an OtterBox Defender case, and had to get a replacement from insurance(arriving today). But to me, OtterBox cases are complete BS, and the case broke in one day. Not to mention, after the S8 and the OtterBox case both broke. My dog got a hold of the OtterBox case and was able to rip off the side bumpers, and rip the case in half, in literally seconds. That's how bad, and crappy Otterbox cases are, that they're able to rip in seconds! It's supposed to be very durable and resist a lot! I honestly thought it would be tough as nails, and resist a dog messing and biting with it for awhile before it got damaged! Not seconds!

But I leave you with a link here on the bottom, directly to the case I purchased. which has a built in screen protector.

https://www.punkcase.com/products/g...irtproof-snowproof-case-1?variant=33285829377

Last edited:
My S7 edge just got bricked last week and so, having nothing to lose, I thought I'd test the case. It's an Otterbox. I'm not sure of the name but it's fairly thin looking. I was honestly expecting poor results but throwing it about 2m high and 3m forward onto cement left it without a scratch. I did it about 7 or 8 times.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

GCbard

Dec 27, 2011
I just came across Punkcases this morning. They have a few different versions of cases. One of them has a built in screen protector, and is certified water, snow and dustproof, and also military grade. I just purchased mine this morning a few minutes ago. I thought I would share here, since you're also in need of a case with the built in screen protector.

The reviews on their website, for this specific case, seems to be very good. I have yet to try one out myself though. But as soon as I receive mine I will let you know how it is. I chose expedited shipping when I ordered this morning. By the way, I already broke my S8 while in an OtterBox Defender case, and had to get a replacement from insurance(arriving today). But to me, OtterBox cases are complete BS, and the case broke in one day. Not to mention, after the S8 and the OtterBox case both broke. My dog got a hold of the OtterBox case and was able to rip off the side bumpers, and rip the case in half, in literally seconds. That's how bad, and crappy Otterbox cases are, that they're able to rip in seconds! It's supposed to be very durable and resist a lot! I honestly thought it would be tough as nails, and resist a dog messing and biting with it for awhile before it got damaged! Not seconds!

But I leave you with a link here on the bottom, directly to the case I purchased. which has a built in screen protector.

https://www.punkcase.com/products/g...irtproof-snowproof-case-1?variant=33285829377
Dogs you receive this case yet? Any idea when it's going to be released?

Looks interesting but I can't see on the website how you install it. It also looks like you would have to disassemble it whenever you need to change the SIM or MicroSD. I travel abroad every month or two and have to change my SIM every time.

When you have it, can you also check if it is wireless charging friendly?

Erdaram

Jun 24, 2017
Otterbox Defender with Screen Protector Available in the UK?

This is my first time here... I found this thread because I too, am searching for the best of the best case for my Galaxy S8.
I was sitting on a flight from the UK to New York 3rd week of June 2017, next to a woman who had an Otterbox Defender for her Galaxy S8 and it had a Otterbox OEM built in screen protector. The quality of the plastic appeared to look and feel like the same plastic they have always used in the defender model.

I had previously read the threads from various sites on this case because I have always used the defender since my galaxy S about 7 phones ago and was going to upgrade my S7 to the S8 soon. I was actually searching for case info while on the flight. Anyway, I had read that the new Defender for the S8 came without screen protection.

I had a discussion with her and she told me that bought the case at a street shop in Glassgow that sold many things other than phones so it was not a dedicated phone store. I howevr, have not been able to locate one even on international websites. There is no mention of this on Otterbox's website and I neglected to ask her how long ago she bought it.

Could it be that this is another "Not In America" thing? Any light anyone can shed on this would be helpful! I received my S8 yesterday but have not yet ordered a case for it.

drrobo

Jan 5, 2015
I got the Punkcase waterproof (Studstar) for my S8. Firstly, I just wanted to mention the customer service I received from Punkcase - it was pretty bad. I ordered the case, two weeks later still hadn't received anything, and no updates. So I found another waterproof case that looked pretty similar on eBay, ordered that and asked to cancel the Punkcase. They sent me a message saying the case was very popular and backordered, and thanks for your patience, but they didn't cancel it. Almost two weeks later still no case, and no word, so I emailed them again and told them to cancel my order (again), since it hadn't been shipped and was almost a month since my order. They immediately (within an hour) sent me a tracking number saying it had been shipped, but no apologies or communication, and no cancellation. However, the tracking number was just that, a number - it hadn't been shipped at all, and wouldn't be for another week. They just created a tracking number to prevent me from being able to cancel the order. Pretty dishonest.

I finally received the case, and really it's just ok. It feels cheaper than the $40 I paid, and certainly if I'd paid the regular price of $80 I would have been pissed.The one I got off ebay for $15 was about the same quality. It is definitely water proof, and has the screen protector, but there is a bit of a gap between the cheap plastic protector and the screen, the case adds enormous width and I feel like a face down drop would absolutely not protect the screen enough to prevent a shattered screen. I'm going to use it for a while, but keep looking guys, the Punkcase is not the one.

live2playloud

Jan 4, 2014
Ohio
I have the pelican voyager for the s8 plus and it comes with a removable built in screen protector and a belt clip.. some of the reviews weren't great but I took a chance on it and liked it just fine

noXcape

Mar 12, 2012
I had the nautical. Its a good case for 40 dollars.
I now have the lifeproof fre and ill say from having both the fre is definitly worth the money.

I didnt even want to test the nautical under water....the lifeproof works great under water.

The nautical is bulky
The lifeproof is slim... about perfect... only downside is the screen protector has a very small rise off the screen... not a deal breaker tho.

Hope this helps

Spedkiller

Apr 29, 2014
S8 Clayco Hera Series https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJ3L7FL/
I don't think I have seen this case mentioned, but it seems to be a good middle ground between something like a life proof and one of the cases more meant for further waterproofing. The reviews on the S8 version really bash it for the screen protector losing a lot of touch sensitivity, but in my experience it isn't that much- just the occasional key stroke. Meanwhile the S8 Plus version is well reviewed. Overall I like it and use it, although not all the time only when I am doing something where I really need the protection such as hiking or going to the bar and having a few.
Edit: Looks like the one I bought is out of stock and they are coming out with an updated one: https://www.amazon.com/Clayco-Updated-Version-Full-body-Protector/dp/B073TRVKKK/

Last edited:
Reactions: pietro1311

Art3714

Jul 21, 2017
I have the otterbox defender for the S8 (not the +). I can confirm that the otterboxes for both the S8 and S8+ DO NOT have built in screen protectors. While every previous versions of these cases did, and they gave no indication prior to the release date of the phone that they wouldn't (including on their website when they started shipping them, I preordered mine when I ordered my S8), the new version "is screenless to allow full use of the curved screen", and otterbox tells you to buy one of their alpha glass screen protectors at $50/pop if you want a screen protector.

If you check Otterbox's website you'll see the myriad of 1-star reviews for their S8 cases over this issue, as they basically bait-and-switched everyone who preordered the Defender, and are now saying "Give us more money to have your screen protected."

I'd steer clear of the Otterbox for that reason. If you don't need the holster, the Lifeproof is probably your best way to go. If you do need the holster... Well then, I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps an Otterbox with an added screen protector, though the ones I've tried don't fit well. Or get the Lifeproof and add a belt clip to it. The one Lifeproof sells has some mixed reviews, but you can probably aftermarket add one that would work, or just use an old fashioned holster-type slip case.
I disagree. Life proof sux. There is like a 1mm strip of foam in the middle of the case and that is the extent of drop protection. I have both defender with alpha glass and lifeproof. Lifeproof feels like a trinket from a quarter machine at the grocery store compared to defender. I have gone through 5 or 6 alpha glass protectors and the new ones are better but still not a perfect fit. Call the warranty line for whichever case u want and u can get it for like $5. Both of these cases have lifetime replacement warranties.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Lifeproof has their case and it's waterproof, but expensive @ $80! Also, you can look at the Love Mei cases and can buy them from ebay or amazon. :good:

http://www.lovemeicase.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=87_207
    S8 Clayco Hera Series https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJ3L7FL/
    I don't think I have seen this case mentioned, but it seems to be a good middle ground between something like a life proof and one of the cases more meant for further waterproofing. The reviews on the S8 version really bash it for the screen protector losing a lot of touch sensitivity, but in my experience it isn't that much- just the occasional key stroke. Meanwhile the S8 Plus version is well reviewed. Overall I like it and use it, although not all the time only when I am doing something where I really need the protection such as hiking or going to the bar and having a few.
    Edit: Looks like the one I bought is out of stock and they are coming out with an updated one: https://www.amazon.com/Clayco-Updated-Version-Full-body-Protector/dp/B073TRVKKK/
    Is the pelican wireless charge friendly m

Sorry friend I don't have a wireless charger so I can't help you there but another really good case that I use is the Clayco Hera with a built in screen protector and I know it works with wireless charging