Question Are these Rooting Guides for the Samsung A33 5G good?

Search This thread

bogavante

Aug 1, 2022
Thank you, so like this then? Now press "Start"?

1660058285471.png

bogavante

Aug 1, 2022
I had already the phone in Download mode and plugged with USB cable to the computer. Now as a double check(I haven't clicked on Odin's Start button yet) I decided to run "adb devices" and the list of devices comes empty. Is this normal when the phone is in download mode? Or does this mean that the phone lost connection to pc?

bogavante

Aug 1, 2022
yeah, the File Explorer is no longer seeing my phone. Should I reboot the phone again in normal mode, make sure that the phone is connected and seen by Windows and only then, reboot it into Download mode and flash Odin?

bogavante

Aug 1, 2022
or am I supposed to choose any menu option in the Download mode menu in order for windows to see my phone?

ShaDisNX255

Apr 3, 2014
Matamoros
Samsung Galaxy A52 4G
I had already the phone in Download mode and plugged with USB cable to the computer. Now as a double check(I haven't clicked on Odin's Start button yet) I decided to run "adb devices" and the list of devices comes empty. Is this normal when the phone is in download mode? Or does this mean that the phone lost connection to pc?
It's normal for adb to not recognize the device when it is in download mode. The reason why I mentioned this is because according to your latest screenshot, Odin is not picking up your device.

1660059780691.png

The field below ID:COM should be populated (iirc). This right now shows me it's not detecting your phone.

Question for you, did you download Samsung's specific developer drivers? You can find them here: https://developer.samsung.com/android-usb-driver

yeah, the File Explorer is no longer seeing my phone. Should I reboot the phone again in normal mode, make sure that the phone is connected and seen by Windows and only then, reboot it into Download mode and flash Odin?
No, getting detected while the phone is booted and getting detected in Download mode are 2 completely different things.

or am I supposed to choose any menu option in the Download mode menu in order for windows to see my phone?
Try the Samsung specific usb drivers I sent you, 99% of the time this is why Odin isn't picking up your device

bogavante

Aug 1, 2022
It's normal for adb to not recognize the device when it is in download mode. The reason why I mentioned this is because according to your latest screenshot, Odin is not picking up your device.

View attachment 5681557

The field below ID:COM should be populated (iirc). This right now shows me it's not detecting your phone.

Question for you, did you download Samsung's specific developer drivers? You can find them here: https://developer.samsung.com/android-usb-driver

No, getting detected while the phone is booted and getting detected in Download mode are 2 completely different things.

Try the Samsung specific usb drivers I sent you, 99% of the time this is why Odin isn't picking up your device
yeah, I hadn't installed any Samsung specific drivers, I just let windows auto-detect and install whatever it chose.
So I'll install those drivers you linked, hopefully that's it.
Cheers!

bogavante

Aug 1, 2022

I installed the Samsung driver you linked me, then I rebooted the phone into normal mode, then restarted the Windows VM, then ran Odin and the phone was added by it(in normal mode)

Then I shutdown the phone(at which point Odin removed it) then rebooted the phone in Download mode and Odin does not recognize it.
1660064010642.png

I wonder if the fact that it is a Windows VM has anything to do with this.

ShaDisNX255

Apr 3, 2014
Matamoros
Samsung Galaxy A52 4G
I installed the Samsung driver you linked me, then I rebooted the phone into normal mode, then restarted the Windows VM, then ran Odin and the phone was added by it(in normal mode)

Then I shutdown the phone(at which point Odin removed it) then rebooted the phone in Download mode and Odin does not recognize it.
View attachment 5681615

I wonder if the fact that it is a Windows VM has anything to do with this.
It could be. Just to be sure, you pressed the VOL + when you rebooted to download mode to "Continue" on the first screen, right?

bogavante

Aug 1, 2022
It could be. Just to be sure, you pressed the VOL + when you rebooted to download mode to "Continue" on the first screen, right?
yes, I had. I found what step was missing. I just saw on a youtube video that on the screen I arrived with blue texts on black background I had to move the selector down and select "Reboot into bootloader" then select it with the on/off button. I did that and now I see for the first time an all blue screen with a big white download icon and it says "Downloading..." and instantly my windows recognized the phone.

Such silly oversight. I didn't see that step in the guide!

bogavante

Aug 1, 2022
Have I "bricked" the phone? :(

Attachments

• IMG_9947.jpeg
    IMG_9947.jpeg
    861.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9948.jpeg
    IMG_9948.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12

bogavante

Aug 1, 2022
You can easily recover from this just by flashing everything again except use your stock AP instead of the magisk patched one. Your screenshots are typical errors when you don't properly unlock your phone
I thought I had properly unlocked the phone, I'll need to recheck the steps again once I reflash the stock firmware.

Could this have happened because I had signed in Google Play Store with my google account? I remember now a popup when starting Odin that said something about deleting the Google account.

ShaDisNX255

Apr 3, 2014
Matamoros
Samsung Galaxy A52 4G
I thought I had properly unlocked the phone, I'll need to recheck the steps again once I reflash the stock firmware.

Could this have happened because I had signed in Google Play Store with my google account? I remember now a popup when starting Odin that said something about deleting the Google account.
The most common problem I see when it comes to unlocking the bootloader is that even after you unlock it in your download mode, you still have to set your device up, you still have to activate developer settings and you have to open developer settings to confirm OEM unlock is present and greyed out

1660080104789.png

bogavante

Aug 1, 2022
The most common problem I see when it comes to unlocking the bootloader is that even after you unlock it in your download mode, you still have to set your device up, you still have to activate developer settings and you have to open developer settings to confirm OEM unlock is present and greyed out
in that case, that might be it. I need to double check it, but from what I recall, looks like I had misunderstood that OEM unlocking setting in Developer settings and I had turned it on

bogavante

Aug 1, 2022
in the guide it said
  • Allow bootloader unlocking in Developer options → OEM unlocking
which I interpreted as turning the switch on for that setting

ShaDisNX255

Apr 3, 2014
Matamoros
Samsung Galaxy A52 4G
in the guide it said
Yeah, you have to check it twice for some weird reason lol thanks to Samsung

You go to Developer options to actually turn OEM Unlocking on
You reboot to download mode to unlock bootloader from there
You reboot and set up your device normally (it's important to connect to a WiFi network during the setup)
Then you open developer options just to see that OEM Unlocking is on and grayed out. Yes, this is mandatory.

Reactions: bogavante

bogavante

Aug 1, 2022
I think I completed the rooting process successfully. Thanks a lot @ShaDisNX255 for your help!

Just to double check, how exactly do I verify that my phone is rooted? I downloaded a couple of apps from the google play store that are intended to check if I'm rooted and both say that I'm not.

And once I confirm that I'm indeed rooted, what is the best place to learn about and install special features, apps, alternative play stores, etc... that I can take advantage with my rooted phone?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Do I have Odin properly set as in my screenshot? And "flash" means now clicking on the "Start" button?
    This is correct

"Open Odin on your PC, and flash magisk_patched.tar as AP, together with BL, CP, and CSC (NOT HOME_CSC because we want to wipe data) from the original firmware"
    What this means is that the original firmware has a files that names start with AP_, BL_, CP_ and CSC_ (also HOME_CSC).

The guide is telling you that including your magisk patched AP file, you should also flash your stock firmware BL, CP and CSC files. Your provided screenshot shows that you only have the magisk patched file loaded but not the others. If you flash this way you can mess up your data partition, which is what @Zillion is referencing.
    Thank you @Zillion . Is that a complete guide from start to finish or only part of the whole process needed? (I'm total newbie)
    It is all you need to root your phone ^^
    Tell me you didn't bother reading the guide without actually telling me :)

View attachment 5676113
    We humans are not all made the same, so when presented with identical stimulae we act in different ways.

Some people(like me), when we start reading a tutorial that starts with this...

"Before you start:

-This tutorial assumes you understand how to use adb and fastboot
    -If you plan to also install custom kernels, install it after Magisk
    -Your device’s bootloader has to be unlocked"

... we interpret it like this: "You should NOT start(continue reading) this tutorial UNLESS/UNTIL you fulfil the criteria listed in the BEFORE YOU START" so we stop reading any further if we clearly do not fulfill the "before you start" criteria.

In 99% of the cases, this is the right and most logical choice, this seems to have been an exception.

Saying that I "didn't bother" implies that I was lazy when choosing, but it was just the opposite: Because I understood there was knowledge about stuff that I didn't possess, I went to look for and gain this knowledge in other places.
    in the guide it said
    Yeah, you have to check it twice for some weird reason lol thanks to Samsung

You go to Developer options to actually turn OEM Unlocking on
    You reboot to download mode to unlock bootloader from there
    You reboot and set up your device normally (it's important to connect to a WiFi network during the setup)
    Then you open developer options just to see that OEM Unlocking is on and grayed out. Yes, this is mandatory.