Are Vanced and similar apps exceptions to the rule on Warez?

Search This thread

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Just saw a post that was closed for violating Rule 6 on XDA:

6. Do not post or request warez.

If a piece of software requires you to pay to use it, then pay for it. We do not accept warez nor do we permit members to request, post, promote or describe ways in which warez, cracks, serial codes or other means of avoiding payment, can be obtained or used. This is a site of developers, i.e. the sort of people who create such software. When you cheat a software developer, you cheat us as a community.

In order to better understand and comply with rules of this forum, I would like to know in the larger interest of the community, how is the app referenced in the post linked above different from Vanced and all of its variations, which are probably one of the most downloaded apps in this forum?

1. Can mods/ staff make exceptions at their discretion?

2. Can subjectivity override written rules?

Thank you.

Please note that I'm personally against any form of tampering with original software that deprives the creator of their rightful income.

1. I always buy the Pro version (or in-app purchase) of apps that I like and use regularly.

2. I have two YouTube subscriptions, and yet I used Vanced/ Revanced because of the features they bring in (such as swipe gestures).

Last edited:

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
@TheMystic The XDA forum staff follows the internal policies of the private website - if required after an internal discussion. I'd be grateful for your understanding that the XDA staff doesn't make internal policies publicly available. The knowledge about the publicly posted XDA Forum Rules is sufficient to be able to comply with them as 99% of the XDA members daily prove.

If you're interested to learn more about internal policies and procedure, I suggest to apply as a forum moderator. The knowledge would be shared with you once accepted.

Generally, every member who was affected by a moderator action (like the closure of a thread) has the possibility to privately contact the respective moderator for further information like you personally did in the past.

Regards
Oswald Boelcke
Senior Moderator

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
the XDA staff doesn't make internal policies publicly available.
I'm sure they are not/ shouldn't be in conflict with rules laid down for the forum posts.

If you're interested to learn more about internal policies and procedure, I suggest to apply as a forum moderator. The knowledge would be shared with you once accepted.
I may consider it in future when I'm ready for it. Thank you.

Generally, every member who was affected by a moderator action (like the closure of a thread) has the possibility to privately contact the respective moderator for further information like you personally did in the past.
Sure. This post isn't about the referenced post in particular (or its closure), but more so for general understanding of why one app is considered Warez, while another isn't if it has many of the same properties.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @TheMystic The XDA forum staff follows the internal policies of the private website - if required after an internal discussion. I'd be grateful for your understanding that the XDA staff doesn't make internal policies publicly available. The knowledge about the publicly posted XDA Forum Rules is sufficient to be able to comply with them as 99% of the XDA members daily prove.

Regards
    Oswald Boelcke
    Senior Moderator
    I'm sure they are not/ shouldn't be in conflict with rules laid down for the forum posts.
    Be assured they aren't in conflict.