Are volume buttons tied to screen? Oneplus 6 . CTDI service is a disgrace

Search This thread

Jinnn92

Aug 24, 2014
Germany
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 11
So my volume buttons started doing "ghost" presses recently. I applied for repair (out of warranty) and my phone was sent to polish service called CTDI.
When I got the estimate, it turned out they put screen replacement in it. I was surprised since my screen was perfectly fine and thought whoever checked my phone mistook broken screen protector with screen.
The I called them. Absolutely terrible customer service, I had to wait every time I called 7 minutes to get through dumb recorded messages which could not be skipped even as I remembered the number I had to press to choose options throughout , which is not only annoying but also expensive since I called from abroad. After 7 minutes of waiting finally I got to.... waiting for available consultant. And 3 times when I called (probably 8 in total) after waiting another 5 minutes in queue, the call was disconnected and I was redirected to voice mail and of course no one ever called back.
Then yesterday, I finally got through this torment, I was told by the woman that she works remotely and she can't help and someone will call me back later. As you probably may expect no one did. So after next 4 failed attempts the man told me he will check it out with servicemen and send me an email Of course he didn't . And today after 5 10 minute calls going to voice mail, the woman told me that volume buttons cannot be replaced without new screen. I really miss my phone so I payed 150 Euro right away.
But then I did some basic research and it turned out that volume buttons replacement can be bought for 5 Euro. And according to IFixit you can replace them without needing new screen.

Can someone with proper knowledge confirm which one is actually the case? I live in Germany but I'm Pole and I have residence in Poland in case they conned me and in Poland we have quite good government consumer protection agency.

I would really appreciate any help.