Question Are we going to talk about this 60hz nonsense?

Search This thread

Virgo_Guy

Sep 11, 2012
🧐
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I don't think they're defending it so much as wtf cares? If you're concerned about it look elsewhere whether or not it's less expensive or more expensive. Basically you don't want it then don't buy it. What purpose is it to criticize them other than simple bashing?
You are fine with the refresh rate? That's awesome. But some are/may not be fine with the refresh rate and with respect to the original post, let them opine on without being triggered, I mean they don't need to "go buy" another phone you know just because opined on not being happy with the refresh rate.🤷

Last edited:

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
You are fine with the refresh rate? That's awesome. But some are/may not be fine with the refresh rate and with respect to the original post, let them opine on without being triggered, I mean they don't need to "go buy" another phone you know just because opined on not being happy with the refresh rate.🤷
I don't know if I'm fine with the refresh rate. I don't even know what to look for. I put my P6 down to 60 and didn't notice a thing. But I do know there are some that are very into that, I'm just not one of them. I just want a 6.1" device at this point. What's more concerning to me is the bootloader unlock issue which has popped up. I did order from BB and the shipments have been delayed here for a week or so. I'm not in a rush especially until they fix that issue. And if it doesn't get fixed I'm a no go.

Virgo_Guy

Sep 11, 2012
🧐
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I don't know if I'm fine with the refresh rate. I don't even know what to look for. I put my P6 down to 60 and didn't notice a thing. But I do know there are some that are very into that, I'm just not one of them. I just want a 6.1" device at this point. What's more concerning to me is the bootloader unlock issue which has popped up. I did order from BB and the shipments have been delayed here for a week or so. I'm not in a rush especially until they fix that issue. And if it doesn't get fixed I'm a no go.
It's been almost 2 years now for me with 120Hz with different phones and it feels so "stuttery" to my eyes when I back to 60.
I'm extremely tired of gigantic phones too, but poor batterylife and unavailability of small ones(with the right boxes ticked) hold me back.

The 6a though has a few drawbacks, definitely look appealing to many and should suffice.

Reactions: bobby janow

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
FWIW - satisfied 60Hz; only notice difference in direct side-by-side comparisons. Would likely disable anything higher in favor of improved battery life. To each his own of course; plenty of options for those who favor one characteristic over another. Laughable manufacturer bashing by some; willing buyer/seller scenerio in an open marketplace.

Reactions: dudaka

Virgo_Guy

Sep 11, 2012
🧐
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
FWIW - satisfied 60Hz; only notice difference in direct side-by-side comparisons. Would likely disable anything higher in favor of improved battery life. To each his own of course; plenty of options for those who favor one characteristic over another. Laughable manufacturer bashing by some; willing buyer/seller scenerio in an open marketplace.
Heating scenario?
The chipset is basically Exynos 2100, a bit modified for tensor.

How's your honest experience assuming you checked it well?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Heating scenario?
The chipset is basically Exynos 2100, a bit modified for tensor.

How's your honest experience assuming you checked it well?
Not sure why a thermal management question raised in this thread, but ok ....

No heating issues to date. Actually, surprisingly cool during initial setup, installing apps, etc. At one point was taking a charge while applying system update. Warm, but not much higher than body temp. That said, I don't game on phones so can't comment there

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
I mean say what you will
Not sure why a thermal management question raised in this thread, but ok ....

No heating issues to date. Actually, surprisingly cool during initial setup, installing apps, etc. At one point was taking a charge while applying system update. Warm, but not much higher than body temp. That said, I don't game on phones so can't comment there
I'm having the same experience. My P3 all the way through the P6 got hot when updating, setting up, and then going to a 90% charge. This device does not do that to date. Now of course if I am mapping or music and certainly gaming while I'm in the sun the phone will get hotter. Only stands to reason. So if returning the device for another heat sink good luck with that. Every phone gets warm, this is just a ridiculous argument.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
What I don't understand here is why people are complaining about not having premium features on a midrange budget oriented device. You wouldn't expect a 144Hz screen on a $100 computer monitor, would you? So why are you expecting a 90Hz screen on a device that costs $150 less?

The "a" series have always been midrange, and have always been marketed to appeal to those who don't want to spend the money on a flagship.

jfreaks25

Sep 10, 2015
When budget phones with 90/120Hz refresh rate cost lower than this "budget phone" with 60Hz, the discussion to defend it becomes a joke.
and how are the cameras and processor on those other "budget phones"? Midrange processors with garbage cameras. Coming from the pixel 5 with a 90 Hz screen I dont notice any discernable difference

I daily use a OnePlus 7 Pro 5G, and a Razer Phone 2 for a work phone... Both are at 60Hz. Its almost dizzying for me to run them constantly above 60Hz. My computer monitor its fine at 90/120, but a phone, it feels too fluid and I just get dizzy.

there is nothing wrong with 60hz. Congrats on just finding something small to complain about

Zaxx32

Mar 23, 2019
Morgantown
Moto G5 Plus
Moto G7
I going fine at 60Hz...I went ahead and set the animation scalings to .5 instead of 1...makes things slightly 'snappier'. But tbh, I've never owned a 90 or 120Hz display, even my 4K TV and pc monitor only hit like 75...lol
I went for the 6a mostly because of the insane pre-launch offer...$300 trade-in credit for my $350 4a plus a free pair of Pixel Buds AND free shipping! I'd have crazy nut to jump. That and the Tensor SMOKES the 735G...😍

Reactions: ctfrommn

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Honestly this is a pretty annoying complaint. "I didn't want to spend the money on an Audi, so I bought a Volkswagen. Why doesn't my Volkswagen have air conditioned seats?!"

The Pixel 6a is a midrange device. If you want premium features, you're going to have to pay a premium price. Complaining about it isn't going to change anything; regardless of how you feel about Google cutting costs, they're going to continue to do so to bring the price down.

Meloferz

This was an INSTANT buy for me with even a 90hz screen. WTH google? I understand you want to save battery life, but if the Tensor can handle 120 would it really hog so much juice at 90? did you have a bunch of 60hz screens lying around??
Nonsense thread, buy Pixel 6/6 Pro instead if you don't like 60 Hz, end of history.

Zaxx32

Mar 23, 2019
Morgantown
Moto G5 Plus
Moto G7
"Furthermore, Nathan claims the Samsung-made panel on the Pixel 6a is capable of refresh rates hitting 120Hz or more."

Looks like I may yet get to own something faster than 75Hz!

In a way it makes a little sense...After the P6 lineup planning was finalized and bulk parts orders were negotiated, since 2 out of 3 of the products req'd at least a 90Hz capable display, 1 bulk order of 1 sku may have cost them less than 2 or 3 different specd part. Or maybe the 6a's specs weren't finalized when they had to place the order...who knows? (not me).

If it's true and a hack gets leaked...I bet Google will include it with the next feature drop for both the P6 and P6a if it turns out it's a 120Hz panel...lol

@ctfrommn...Sounds like a plan to me, you'll have plenty of beta testers!

Edit: Seems like it may be a little ify becuz AP's guy had issues with it. I say it may take time to iron things out. Haters...smh

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This was an INSTANT buy for me with even a 90hz screen. WTH google? I understand you want to save battery life, but if the Tensor can handle 120 would it really hog so much juice at 90? did you have a bunch of 60hz screens lying around??
    Nonsense thread, buy Pixel 6/6 Pro instead if you don't like 60 Hz, end of history.
    Honestly this is a pretty annoying complaint. "I didn't want to spend the money on an Audi, so I bought a Volkswagen. Why doesn't my Volkswagen have air conditioned seats?!"

The Pixel 6a is a midrange device. If you want premium features, you're going to have to pay a premium price. Complaining about it isn't going to change anything; regardless of how you feel about Google cutting costs, they're going to continue to do so to bring the price down.
    Is it really a 60Hz display, I was planning to get this phone!
    When budget phones with 90/120Hz refresh rate cost lower than this "budget phone" with 60Hz, the discussion to defend it becomes a joke.
    I don't think they're defending it so much as wtf cares? If you're concerned about it look elsewhere whether or not it's less expensive or more expensive. Basically you don't want it then don't buy it. What purpose is it to criticize them other than simple bashing?