Are you buying the pixel 2 ?

Search This thread

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
Orange County, California
My pixel works fine along with my Nexus 5x and 6. With the new pixel 2 around the corner are you buying it? I hate to be the stereotypical American who consumes in excess and buys things they don't need but I know ill resist for a month or 2 then cave in.

greencat2

Sep 9, 2007
My pixel works fine along with my Nexus 5x and 6. With the new pixel 2 around the corner are you buying it? I hate to be the stereotypical American who consumes in excess and buys things they don't need but I know ill resist for a month or 2 then cave in.
I'm getting sucked into reading the stories about the pixel 2. If I was practical, it would be hard to justify a new phone. What new features do I need that won't come from a software update? I do wish I had 64 gigs. Recently had to factory reset and that got me back down to 26 gigs used.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010

Of course I'm going to get it. However, there are a bunch of caveats and prerequisites in order to justify the purchase. And naturally a few different scenarios. Gift the Pixel to a family member that has a crappy S5 or any other Samsung device, sell it on Swappa, use it as a backup device in case something goes wrong with the Pixel 2 and you need to wait for a replacement, stuff like that. Personally, I'm in for the gifting and then it's justified right off the bat even though I still have a year left to pay it off. But the family member is on my VZW account so nothing it really changed in that regard. (wow, that S5 is a piece of junk, ;) Yes, that's for all you Sammy trolls)

Then there's the price. I only paid $240 for the Pixel in the wee hours of Black Friday. I had a chance to depixel8 the device but chose not to. I had no intention of ever unlocking the bootloader or rooting so I just took the updates. I'd do the same thing here if the price were the same. Google never had a black Friday deal and I could not justify paying 7 bills since my 5x was working perfectly and still does. (running Android O beta, locked bootloader on that too) Bottom line for me is never buy it on any other day than BF and get the best price possible, locked or not. I fully expect VZW to keep the bl locked and I don't care if I can get the phone for $300 or close to it. I won't spend a nickel over $400 tax included. Since the Pixel and the XL are working so well and a lot of people are on a 2 year installment plan of sorts, I believe they will have some discounts on it during the holiday season. Just keep your eyes peeled since the deals are strictly for black Friday hours only. Come Saturday the deals are off the table.

PS I should save this post to remind myself of rational thought when the device is released.

G

GuestK00143

I'm considering upgrading to a larger screen but I just switched to t-mobile and sadly Google only offers the Pixels to Verizon for resale. So unless I can get one on device payments I'll probably stick with my Pixel.

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
I can understand buying the Pixel over the Nexus. The Nexus always had that element that caused it to get laggy over time and stutter, but the Pixel is a massive step from the previous nexus 5x I had. All my phone are in working condition and i actually offered to loan someone whose phone stopped working my Nexus 5X.

The Pixel though hasent given me any issues. I think at the very least I'll wait until next year to buy it. It seems like the first batch of phones tend to have issues. I remember the first Pixels has that crackling speaker issue, but since this one actually works well I'll have to think about it myself. If I do maybe not until 2018

alluringreality

Apr 17, 2011
Bottom line for me is never buy it on any other day than BF and get the best price possible, locked or not.

I'd also expect the Verizon Pixel 2 to have deals during Black Friday. There are typically also good offers on carrier phones at times during November and December. I could have saved a bit by waiting longer to buy. I think the best offer in 2016 only lasted a few days.
https://slickdeals.net/f/9417827-be...-e-gift-card?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo

Many of the Verizon offers have generally trended towards bill credits recently, where you have to buy their service for two years to get the price reduction, yet the Verizon S8 had a Device Payment Plan offer last month where the financed price was reported as $300+ less than retail.
https://slickdeals.net/f/10382028-v...req-best-buy?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo

Last edited:

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
So got to add BT headphones to the mix too. Been wanting a pair anyway, this will probably force my hand. I have Grado now and they are amazing. I don't think they make BT yet so does anyone have some that are in the 100-200 range that are just killer?

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
I personally don't use bluetooth. Based on the renderings, I think I'll definitely wait at least for a bit. If it turns out to be just the Pixel with a few enhancements then it will be easier to pass. I was hoping for front facing speakers, but dosent seem to be happening. Also they are removing the headphone jack which I like. Something minor but should start being standard.....waterproofing, hopefully this new one is officially water resistant/proof.

It looks like they will have several versions or atleast 2 which is good. Everthing now seems to be 5.5"+, I cannot do these jumbo sized phones, I'm probably the only one, but I don't like excessively large phones. Hence why I got the small pixel.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Pixel 2 will be 5". As for BT I'd like to get rid of the cord if fidelity is as good. Waterproofing is not minor! Lol. That's almost a prerequisite at this point.

Sent from my Pixel using XDA-Developers Legacy app

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
I'll have to probably update this post. If Google follows the Note 8 and prices the Pixel 2 at $900+, then that's a definite "no" for getting it. Beyond unacceptable. I'll keep the phones I have or switch to a GSM carrier and buy a One Plus.

When you throw in taxes and optional insurance, you are looking at a total over $1000

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No

Probably will wait until the 3, because my 1 is still in great shape
    Ouch! Never owned anything but a Google phone. Im starting to rethink this.

That's pretty expensive. What ppl don't mention is taxes which here in California is a good chunk of change, (possibly insurance), cases/accessories and you are pretty much over $1,000. It's too bad b/c Google had something with the Pixel and it runs smoothly but this is what I was afraid of is everyone is in this rat race. I recently bought a new laptop with very good specs and spent slightly over $1,000. There's no reason why a cell phone should cost the same.

I'll probably get a One Plus after this unless Google adjusts this.