Question Are you getting a Pixel 5a?

Search This thread

GeraldLe

Aug 18, 2021
I am curious if we can trick Google to recognize a 5a as a 4a 5G, for some free "High quality backup" in Google Photos - as there aren't many differences between the two devices. Same silicon, same RAM and storage configuration, almost the same screen size.

lightuser

Apr 11, 2019
Los Angeles
I pre-ordered one. I got talked into it while asking about security/software updates on a budget phone forum here. It is more than I expected to spend, but people made me realize I don't know how to quantify the extra costs/risks of other manufacturers adding their own software on top of the android part that Google is patching.

I would be happy to pay less and reduce the specs further in some ways, but I am thinking about it as cost per year of software support, so I won't consider the older models that already have 1 or more years of their software life spent on the shelf... I'd probably be satisfied if it had 4GB RAM, 64GB flash, and LCD instead of OLED but with the same software. I am interested to see how the 5G works out w/ T-Mobile. (Edit: for reference, my current phone is a Moto G7 Play with 2GB RAM, 32GB flash, and a 720 pix wide screen. It is usable for me, but definitely shows its limits...)

Our last Google phone was a Nexus 5X. We went on a budget quest after that, thinking pixels were too expensive. We thought Moto was a decent value for a while, but I've been growing unhappy with their worsening software support. I.e. only 2 years and not even monthly on the budget models.

tcat007

Jul 3, 2011
Austin, TX
Undecided. Would like the larger screen. If TWRP was an easy install (compared to 4a), would jump on it. Will probably wait another year (or two).

Reactions: Usneato

kaitlynd

Aug 20, 2021
Personally, I will not. But I hope that people will be okay with the stuff that we see. It’s a lot of aspects that have been made with the stuff that we can talk about. It’s really cool that there have been solid phones over the years and I love that the Pixel continues to be a strong Android phone.

jaseman

Aug 27, 2012
Spring
I was going to, but the camera overheating issue worries me. Want to see if that's prevalent in a wider adoption first.
If I'm not mistaken the 4a5g as well as the 5 all have the same camera setup and all experience the same overheating issue. Therefore, if this is true and Google has not "yet" done anything to resolve the issue then either they are unwilling to fix the problem, or they are unable to do so. I'm still getting one because I rarely even use the camera on any phone.

Zorachus

Dec 15, 2010
Lombard, IL.
I did pre order the Pixel 5a for myself, will get rid of my iPhone 12 Pro Max then. Last Pixel I used and still have as a secondary home device is the Pixel 4 XL, which I loved, except for the absolute crap battery life, that thing blew for battery stamina, other than that running Android 12 beta 4 on it and it's smooth as hot butter.

If the Pixel 5a has similar smooth performance as my 4 XL, I'm fine with that, but I really need great battery life for my job out in the field a lot and on the go, don't have time to charge often. And I thought last years Pixel 5 was a bit too small, and I find my 12 Pro Max a bit too large, so an in-between phone size is exactly what I want, and good battery life. 6" display too small, and 6.7"+ size too large.

Like I said if the 5a has similar smooth performance as my 4XL, then I'm all good.

And man I can't wait to be rid of iOS, just such a frustrating OS and screwy way it works and Apple Maps blows.

Reactions: jaseman

diggmc

Feb 17, 2011
Toronto
I want to but currently I'm on a 4a and since it's not available in Canada, I'd have to jump through hoops to get one. I have a feeling Google will be asking too much for the 6/pro. I paid over $1000cnd for the Pixel 1 & 2, then dropped back to the 3a and now the 4a. I'm more than happy with the A-series phones.

Reactions: Zorachus

jaseman

Aug 27, 2012
Spring
I want to but currently I'm on a 4a and since it's not available in Canada, I'd have to jump through hoops to get one. I have a feeling Google will be asking too much for the 6/pro. I paid over $1000cnd for the Pixel 1 & 2, then dropped back to the 3a and now the 4a. I'm more than happy with the A-series phones.
I'm no expert on things Canada, (though I was born there) but seeing how close it is to the US, and if the phone has the necessary LTE/5G bands could you not somehow import one at US prices?

diggmc

Feb 17, 2011
Toronto
I'm no expert on things Canada, (though I was born there) but seeing how close it is to the US, and if the phone has the necessary LTE/5G bands could you not somehow import one at US prices?
There in lays the trick. Apparently Google is clamping down on such shenanigans. Currently it appears my option is to have a friend who lives in Japan, order a US version, ship it there and pay import charges, then have him ship to me. I'm guessing but that'll put the cost of 5a into the 6/pro price range... And if that's the case, I'd be better off getting that directly from Google.

I'm the meantime, I'll hold onto my $'s and see what's what with the 6 and 6Pro and decide then. After all it's not like my 4a isn't doing the job

🙂

MikeGator1

Aug 24, 2021
I pre-ordered. I have been holding out on replacing my 2 XL. No newer features, even flagship, were that appealing and I held out as long as I could since I cracked the screen on the 2 XL. All I need is stock android updates and long battery time. I don't play games, so not terribly concerned with the 60hz.

Reactions: Zorachus

jaseman

Aug 27, 2012
Spring
Oh well, started the RMA for mine this morning. Freezes up too often when streaming YouTube videos. Hesitates too much when scrolling through web pages. Gets hot using camera. Still on June 5th patch???? Hate the Pixel launcher. Had to put Nova on it! Just cannot compete with my OnePlus 8T. Say what you will about the evolution of OnePlus...but my last 3 phones from them have all been great! Still hard to beat for the $$$$$ I highly doubt that I will ever buy another Pixel. $35.00 restocking fee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SMH

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It looks really good, but without a 90hz or higher screen, it's difficult for me to justify.
    Pre-ordered one from Google Fi for the wife. $15/month for 2 years including insurance on their subscription plan. She doesn't want to give up her Nexus 6P so I may change over to it from my Pixel 3XL.
    Undecided. Would like the larger screen. If TWRP was an easy install (compared to 4a), would jump on it. Will probably wait another year (or two).
    I did pre order the Pixel 5a for myself, will get rid of my iPhone 12 Pro Max then. Last Pixel I used and still have as a secondary home device is the Pixel 4 XL, which I loved, except for the absolute crap battery life, that thing blew for battery stamina, other than that running Android 12 beta 4 on it and it's smooth as hot butter.

If the Pixel 5a has similar smooth performance as my 4 XL, I'm fine with that, but I really need great battery life for my job out in the field a lot and on the go, don't have time to charge often. And I thought last years Pixel 5 was a bit too small, and I find my 12 Pro Max a bit too large, so an in-between phone size is exactly what I want, and good battery life. 6" display too small, and 6.7"+ size too large.

Like I said if the 5a has similar smooth performance as my 4XL, then I'm all good.

And man I can't wait to be rid of iOS, just such a frustrating OS and screwy way it works and Apple Maps blows.