Are you getting the Pixel 3 ?

Search This thread

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
Orange County, California
This is a bit early but thought I'd just throw it out there. Are you planning on getting the Pixel 3 this year (or strongly considering) ?

It does not seem like the Pixel 2 really caught on as much. The Pixel 2XL seems to have been more popular than the smaller Pixel 2. Overall it's had it's hiccups, I am on my 4th Pixel 2. (#1/#2 RMA due to issues, #3 returned to get the promo). Given how this year's rollout happened, I likely will not get the new Pixel 3 unless there is something very compelling. Even if I do, I will not get it until at least several months after so that if there are problems they get sorted out in advance.

All things considered, I probably would have saved the $ and skipped the Pixel 2 this year as the Pixel 1 worked fine for me and I was pretty content with it and had a headphone jack.

I hope that the cutout notch up top isn't something that becomes mainstream. It looks utterly ridiculous.

In the past, you could always rely on things to be better in future models. Now it's becoming a compromise between useless features, and price spiking by mfg (Samsung/Apple) with questionable value at best.

Last edited:

b00ster23

Feb 19, 2016
I usually upgrade every two years or two generation in SOC's - I believe I'll skip the Pixel3 and wait for this.......!

https://www.androidauthority.com/snapdragon-5g-capable-samsungs-7nm-839704/

In theory the Pixel2 already supports the faster 1Gbps speeds with the X16 modem. It will be up to the carriers to have infrastructure to ensure they can handle it... and also ensure they don't throttle.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon-835-mobile-pc-platform

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_2

But to answer the question, I typically update only when there's a good deal/bootloader unlock/old phone under-performs.

ShaqB

Sep 13, 2013
Nope. I don't want to be a tech victim. The pixel 2 is a great experience for me. It's the same as the the Nexus 5x size and look and the speed of a flagship. That's what I wanted. I won't change until the end of the android support and maybe a AOSP after that (pretty sure that the custom ROMs support will be more than alright, we just need to be patient). After that I will be getting a Android One or android go device or maybe the next OnePlus device.

Matterhorn

Nov 29, 2004
Although there will not be a true technical reason to upgrade, I'll probably still consider it if they have a good trade in promotion.
I hear you on that one. I traded in my Pixel and got my Pixel 2 for free after switching from Project Fi to T-Mobile. If I can get another new phone for free, I'll do it. The main feature that I would welcome is the introduction of smaller bezels to increase screen size while keeping the same footprint.

Last edited:

Naphtaline

Aug 18, 2010
Rennes
Pixel 2 for me is the best smartphone I had by far. I will probably skip the Pixel 3 for the Pixel 4 unless they release a game breaking update that we can't get on our Pixel 2.

PuffDaddy_d

Aug 29, 2010
Houston, TX
Pixel 2 for me is the best smartphone I had by far. I will probably skip the Pixel 3 for the Pixel 4 unless they release a game breaking update that we can't get on our Pixel 2.
That's the key, most features get introduced with the new pixel but get included with the old pixels in a software update. So there's less reason to upgrade since performance gains are so negligible these days.

Large Hadron

Aug 14, 2010
I'll do what I always do: use it until either it breaks, is no longer able to do what I want, or something that offers a substantial advantage to me comes out. That last criterion seems the least likely to trigger an upgrade these days. So on past form I'll probably be weighing up the Pixel 5 or 6 (assuming that Google don't jump on the "phablet or GTFO" bandwagon by then).

Reactions: PuffDaddy_d

WibblyW

May 24, 2011
For me, Pixel is all about standard Google experience, adequate performance, and Android upgrades. Will look to replace it maybe to get the 2nd Android release after it stops getting upgrades. May or may not get a Pixel device then. What drove me to Pixel this time, after defecting away from Nexus to a Moto product, was only that the Moto wasn't getting updated and its 2GB RAM was beginning to create multitasking issues.

liqwidzero

Oct 29, 2010
www.cthdesign.net
As far as upgrading is concerned, I don't see a reason for it. The Pixel 2 series will be updated through this and next year. The hardware is perfectly adequate. For a while now, it's become more of a software fight, rather than the hardware push that it has been for some time.

Honestly, if my OG Pixel didn't run into the microphone issue out of warranty, I would have never gone to the 2 XL.

Rukbat

Feb 15, 2012
Fayetteville NC
Me either. I upgraded from a Note 3 to the Pixel 2 for the fingerprint reader and to get a slightly smaller phone. (I had upgraded to the Note 3 due to incipient cataracts that have since been repaired.) I'll probably wait until about the Pixel 7 unless some hardware that I really want comes out before then. (If they came out with direct brain control of the phone as a hardware function, I'd definitely upgrade.)

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone