Are you kidding me? All carriers except Verizon?

bigblueshock

Jun 26, 2010
Long Island
Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but I thought the 6P was an unlocked device agnostic to all carriers.

I'm tempted to see what happens if I flash this factory fresh on my 6P which is on Verizon.

Edit: If I were to take a guess, either Verizon only wants their Pixel line of devices on 7.1.1, or there is an actual problem.

Regardless, I may bootloader unlock my device again if Verizon gets shafted in the update for 6P

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: jesssiii

IM0001

Jun 29, 2007
Could it just be something to do with the Visual Voicemail on Verizon being cooked into the newest 7.1.1 build?

But I am no way defending Verizon from being Evil. They are the Evil CDMA Red Dragon for sure.

*Sprint SERO FTW! :toot:

bigblueshock

Jun 26, 2010
Long Island
Yeah, that caught me off guard too. Killed the Dev Preview, and updated everything EXCEPT for working on Verizon. Dev Preview 2 worked on VZW, so my question is, what the heck did they break so bad that now VZW doesnt work?
Yeah, very odd none the less...

Could it just be something to do with the Visual Voicemail on Verizon being cooked into the newest 7.1.1 build?

But I am no way defending Verizon from being Evil. They are the Evil CDMA Red Dragon for sure.

*Sprint SERO FTW! :toot:
I would hope. We may be giving Verizon too much credit though. However I would do the opposite of complain if they did bake in VMM and Wifi Calling into 7.1.1 Nexus. Or heck, even one of those would be nice

IM0001

Jun 29, 2007
Really though, it must just be some sort of off the wall issue or feature that might have held it back from them alone. The 5X doesn't have the same update limit so, it's just something 6P specific. (Unless 7.1.1 brings Pixel features, and Verizon doesn't want Nexus to rain on their Pixel party just yet...)

theleet

Jul 31, 2010
This might be a crazy idea but you might just want to flash and see if it works if it doesn't flash back to DP2 or 7.0 what is the problem?

infamous84

Sep 28, 2010
Wish I Knew
so i flashed it, im on verizon looks like there is no sound for notifications and ringer. In settings it just shows none with no option to change, so far from what ive noticed

edit disregard that, is working

bigblueshock

Jun 26, 2010
Long Island
I just flashed it and so far calls work fine between me and another verizon phone. Messing around to see if I can find what doesn't work, if anything.
That's cool. Any new features?

This might be a crazy idea but you might just want to flash and see if it works if it doesn't flash back to DP2 or 7.0 what is the problem?
Right now I am bootloader locked with OEM unlocking unchecked. If something were to go wrong, I'd most likely be screwed. Or maybe it wont even flash for me

so i flashed it, im on verizon looks like there is no sound for notifications and ringer. In settings it just shows none with no option to change, so far from what ive noticed

edit disregard that, is working
Good to know!

theleet

Jul 31, 2010
Right now I am bootloader locked with OEM unlocking unchecked. If something were to go wrong, I'd most likely be screwed. Or maybe it wont even flash for me
You can't flash anything with locked bootloader only accept official OTAs which you won't get probably because 'no verizon' so flashing it yourself is the only option really (I guess, OTAs will be rolling out to everyone over the next few days/weeks).

KnifeSkills

Feb 26, 2015
Everything seems to be working so far.

Created a boot.img that doesn't force encrypt. Flashed it then wiped userdata to be unencrypted. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B57DcrCR3fugajI4b3RleTlJSDg/view?usp=sharing

Then got root and adaway working using existing root stuff I had sitting around, I don't even know what the latest versions are but I used - TWRP 3.0.2, Magisk 7.0, phh superuser 17 magisk version, adaway systemless hosts v2, and adaway downloaded from f-droid.

Then flashed a zip I made with Pixel Launcher, Nexus Launcher Icons, and working stock version of the pixel Live Wallpapers with updated libs. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B57DcrCR3fugZDZaSnhYS05OSGM/view?usp=sharing

Next up: pixel navbar icons for this systemUI and build.prop edit for assistant

Reactions: bigblueshock

mihovil13

May 9, 2011
It's almost fully working on VZW.

The problem is, and the probable reason for that notice is, that Verizon likes to promote their devices by their sw versions. I remember when their G3 got Lollipop first........that f**kin ad was everywhere.

So I believe they would like to throw in their bloatware in to the OTA first.

billycar11

Mar 3, 2012
P.A.
It's almost fully working on VZW.

The problem is, and the probable reason for that notice is, that Verizon likes to promote their devices by their sw versions. I remember when their G3 got Lollipop first........that f**kin ad was everywhere.

So I believe they would like to throw in their bloatware in to the OTA first.
pls vzw cant put there bloatware on google store bought phones only if you buy it from vzw and they never sold it so pls again that only happened with the nexus 6 and people found a way to remove the partition with the apps from vzw
its probably vzw just haven't approved the new radio yet or want a different one for them

jesssiii

Aug 19, 2010
Southern CA
Next up: pixel navbar icons for this systemUI and build.prop edit for assistant
Could you do a system tuner with the nav bar options for this?

NeXus 6P

---------- Post added at 14:35 ---------- Previous post was at 14:31 ----------

its probably vzw just haven't approved the new radio yet or want a different one for them
Perhaps, but the DP2 radio is the same as this, and works fine for me. I'm really irritated by this, after buying from Google. It has to be some proprietary stuff to make CDMA work, except isn't sprint CDMA too? And they aren't an exception for the new release.

NeXus 6P

Chugworth

Oct 6, 2009
Well I just installed the OTA image on my Nexus 6p (which runs on Verizon). After the upgrade completed, I noticed that my data connection was not active. The phone could make calls, but no data. I tried switching in and out of airplane mode, but that didn't fix it. So I powered off the phone, then powered it back on, and all was well. I connected at 4G and everything appeared to be fine. However, I do notice is that the VoLTE setting is nowhere to be found. If I search for "voice" under settings, I see "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode". But if I click it, it takes me to the "Cellular network settings" page, which does not list that setting. I just made a test call to another Verizon phone, and it didn't sound like the enhanced voice mode was active. Not really a big deal though. I'm sure a new update will correct that before long.

jesssiii

Aug 19, 2010
Southern CA
Well I just installed the OTA image on my Nexus 6p (which runs on Verizon). After the upgrade completed, I noticed that my data connection was not active. The phone could make calls, but no data. I tried switching in and out of airplane mode, but that didn't fix it. So I powered off the phone, then powered it back on, and all was well. I connected at 4G and everything appeared to be fine. However, I do notice is that the VoLTE setting is nowhere to be found. If I search for "voice" under settings, I see "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode". But if I click it, it takes me to the "Cellular network settings" page, which does not list that setting. I just made a test call to another Verizon phone, and it didn't sound like the enhanced voice mode was active. Not really a big deal though. I'm sure a new update will correct that before long.
Aah. Well, on DP2 I noticed I was unable to call voicemail, it just hung up on me. The fix ended up being disabling enhanced lte/hd voice in my account. I still have the vvm. As dp2 is the same version as the official, that's likely the reason a separate release will be needed. Personally, I don't care about the HD Voice, but enhanced LTE would be good to get back.

NeXus 6P

Reactions: bigsnack